Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver? - OS2 ; On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:32:12 UTC, Colin Campbell wrote: -> I installed eCS 1.2 on my Dell Dimension 8400. It worked fairly well, -> except that after awhile, the machine started failing to boot. I used -> the Alt-F2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

  1. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:32:12 UTC, Colin Campbell
    wrote:

    -> I installed eCS 1.2 on my Dell Dimension 8400. It worked fairly well,
    -> except that after awhile, the machine started failing to boot. I used
    -> the Alt-F2 key combo to show the drivers as they loaded, and the process
    -> stopped after APM.SYS was loaded.
    ->
    -> I REM'med the three lines having to do with APM.SYS, as recommended in
    -> the eCS Install Manual, and now the system seems to be booting
    -> reliably. However, I would like to have the machine go to sleep, like
    -> my older Indelible Blue machine will do. I was told by another OS/2
    -> user that he had gotten a newer APM.SYS file (his is dated May 18,
    -> 2005), but he doesn't recall where he got it.
    ->
    -> I checked the eCS Web Site, and tried a Google search, without any
    -> luck. Does anyone know where to get a "latest" APM driver?

    Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    05-18-05.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  2. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    >
    > Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    > http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    > 05-18-05.
    >
    > Mark


    Complaint of newsgroup abuse against "Dodie" Dodel can be
    submitted to: abuse@pdt.net

    The abuse policy clearly forbids: "posting inappropriate
    messages to USENET newsgroups ". The above message
    is off-topic, inappropriate and direct harassment to OS/2
    users in the OS/2 newsgroups.

    Please include the full headers when submitting to pdt.net.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  3. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:32:12 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> I installed eCS 1.2 on my Dell Dimension 8400. It worked fairly well,
    > -> except that after awhile, the machine started failing to boot. I used
    > -> the Alt-F2 key combo to show the drivers as they loaded, and the process
    > -> stopped after APM.SYS was loaded.
    > ->
    > -> I REM'med the three lines having to do with APM.SYS, as recommended in
    > -> the eCS Install Manual, and now the system seems to be booting
    > -> reliably. However, I would like to have the machine go to sleep, like
    > -> my older Indelible Blue machine will do. I was told by another OS/2
    > -> user that he had gotten a newer APM.SYS file (his is dated May 18,
    > -> 2005), but he doesn't recall where he got it.
    > ->
    > -> I checked the eCS Web Site, and tried a Google search, without any
    > -> luck. Does anyone know where to get a "latest" APM driver?
    >
    > Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    > http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    > 05-18-05.
    >
    > Mark
    >


    See? I told you Dr. Martin would ensure a quick answer.

    The eCS Guy

  4. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Mark Dodel wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    >> http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from 05-18-05.
    >>
    >> Mark

    >
    >
    > Complaint of newsgroup abuse against "Dodie" Dodel can be
    > submitted to: abuse@pdt.net
    >
    > The abuse policy clearly forbids: "posting inappropriate
    > messages to USENET newsgroups ". The above message
    > is off-topic, inappropriate and direct harassment to OS/2
    > users in the OS/2 newsgroups.
    >
    > Please include the full headers when submitting to pdt.net.
    >


    Oops. Look like you stepped in the doodoo.

    The eCS Guy

  5. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Mark Dodel wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:32:12 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > wrote:
    >
    >-> I installed eCS 1.2 on my Dell Dimension 8400. It worked fairly well,
    >-> except that after awhile, the machine started failing to boot. I used
    >-> the Alt-F2 key combo to show the drivers as they loaded, and the process
    >-> stopped after APM.SYS was loaded.
    >->
    >-> I REM'med the three lines having to do with APM.SYS, as recommended in
    >-> the eCS Install Manual, and now the system seems to be booting
    >-> reliably. However, I would like to have the machine go to sleep, like
    >-> my older Indelible Blue machine will do. I was told by another OS/2
    >-> user that he had gotten a newer APM.SYS file (his is dated May 18,
    >-> 2005), but he doesn't recall where he got it.
    >->
    >-> I checked the eCS Web Site, and tried a Google search, without any
    >-> luck. Does anyone know where to get a "latest" APM driver?
    >
    >Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    >http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    >05-18-05.
    >
    >Mark
    >
    >
    >

    Mark,
    Thanks, I saw that update, but didn't read deeply enough about it.
    Colin

  6. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Oh, I forgot to ask:
    What Advanced Power Management driver does a "real" OS/2 user install on
    his system?

  7. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:50:52 UTC, Colin Campbell
    wrote:

    -> Oh, I forgot to ask:
    -> What Advanced Power Management driver does a "real" OS/2 user install on
    -> his system?

    They would need to have paid through the nose for an annual software
    subscription to get the same thing that's available to people who paid
    once for eCS 1.0 or any of the updated releases since then.

    Mark


    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  8. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:50:52 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Oh, I forgot to ask:
    > -> What Advanced Power Management driver does a "real" OS/2 user install on
    > -> his system?
    >
    > They would need to have paid through the nose for an annual software
    > subscription to get the same thing that's available to people who paid
    > once for eCS 1.0 or any of the updated releases since then.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    >


    Or paid 'through the nose" for eCS 1.1 or 1.2. You failed to mention that.

    The eCS Guy

  9. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver? [FUD4]

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:47:02 UTC, The eCS Guy
    wrote:

    -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:50:52 UTC, Colin Campbell
    -> > wrote:
    -> >
    -> > -> Oh, I forgot to ask:
    -> > -> What Advanced Power Management driver does a "real" OS/2 user install on
    -> > -> his system?
    -> >
    -> > They would need to have paid through the nose for an annual software
    -> > subscription to get the same thing that's available to people who paid
    -> > once for eCS 1.0 or any of the updated releases since then.
    -> >
    -> > Mark
    -> >
    -> >
    ->
    -> Or paid 'through the nose" for eCS 1.1 or 1.2. You failed to mention that.
    ->

    I generally don't respond to stupid trolls, but I'll make an exception
    here since you are either clueless or as restarded as your
    puppetmaster.

    People who have eCS 1.0 haven't been forced to purchase upgrades to
    1.1 or 1.2. All the fixes and new drivers have been available to
    them. See http://www.ecomstation.com for how IBM should have done
    it instead of trying to drive people away from OS/2. But then that is
    your objective as well.

    That's the whole point of this thread. If someone bought eCS 1.0 many
    years ago they can still access the latest APM driver. No
    subscription required. Same goes for those who bought 1.1 and now
    1.2. You only buy the new version if there is something in it you
    need, not because you are forced to. To sophisticated a concept for
    someone like yourselfs to grasp. So be it.

    For more on the anti-OS/2 trolls see http://www.mr2ice.com/TMFaq/

    Mark


    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  10. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:32:12 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> I installed eCS 1.2 on my Dell Dimension 8400. It worked fairly well,
    > -> except that after awhile, the machine started failing to boot. I used
    > -> the Alt-F2 key combo to show the drivers as they loaded, and the process
    > -> stopped after APM.SYS was loaded.
    > ->
    > -> I REM'med the three lines having to do with APM.SYS, as recommended in
    > -> the eCS Install Manual, and now the system seems to be booting
    > -> reliably. However, I would like to have the machine go to sleep, like
    > -> my older Indelible Blue machine will do. I was told by another OS/2
    > -> user that he had gotten a newer APM.SYS file (his is dated May 18,
    > -> 2005), but he doesn't recall where he got it.
    > ->
    > -> I checked the eCS Web Site, and tried a Google search, without any
    > -> luck. Does anyone know where to get a "latest" APM driver?
    >
    > Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    > http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    > 05-18-05.
    >
    > Mark
    >

    I got the update, and the OS2LDR, installed, them, turned APM back on in
    CONFIG.SYS, and everything seems to be OK for booting. However, I am
    not seeing the PC go into sleep mode.

    I don't see any settings in the BIOS that allow me to control the time,
    as on the Award Bios in my Indelible Blue PC.

    So, the exercise may have been academic. Still, thanks for the help.
    Colin

  11. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver? [FUD4]

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:47:02 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    > -> > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:50:52 UTC, Colin Campbell
    > -> > wrote:
    > -> >
    > -> > -> Oh, I forgot to ask:
    > -> > -> What Advanced Power Management driver does a "real" OS/2 user install on
    > -> > -> his system?
    > -> >
    > -> > They would need to have paid through the nose for an annual software
    > -> > subscription to get the same thing that's available to people who paid
    > -> > once for eCS 1.0 or any of the updated releases since then.
    > -> >
    > -> > Mark
    > -> >
    > -> >
    > ->
    > -> Or paid 'through the nose" for eCS 1.1 or 1.2. You failed to mention that.
    > ->
    >
    > I generally don't respond to stupid trolls, but I'll make an exception
    > here since you are either clueless or as restarded as your
    > puppetmaster.


    I see why so many dislike you.

    > People who have eCS 1.0 haven't been forced to purchase upgrades to
    > 1.1 or 1.2. All the fixes and new drivers have been available to
    > them. See http://www.ecomstation.com for how IBM should have done
    > it instead of trying to drive people away from OS/2. But then that is
    > your objective as well.


    People who purchased eCS 1.1 or 1.2 paid a much higher price
    then those who purchased the 1.0 version. I have no objective
    other then to tell it as I sees it.

    > That's the whole point of this thread. If someone bought eCS 1.0 many
    > years ago they can still access the latest APM driver. No
    > subscription required. Same goes for those who bought 1.1 and now
    > 1.2. You only buy the new version if there is something in it you
    > need, not because you are forced to. To sophisticated a concept for
    > someone like yourselfs to grasp. So be it.


    And yet they are stuck with eCS no matter what.

    > For more on the anti-OS/2 trolls see http://www.mr2ice.com/TMFaq/
    >
    > Mark


    I've seen the page. Dr. Martin has rattled your cage. [ Insert my
    first sentence above here. ]

    The eCS Guy


  12. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver? [FUD4]

    On 20 Sep 2005 18:51:03 -0500, The eCS Guy
    wrote:



    >People who purchased eCS 1.1 or 1.2 paid a much higher price
    >then those who purchased the 1.0 version.


    I don't know what 1.0 cost, but when I bought 1.1, as an upgrade from
    Warp 4, it cost me I think $59 - that didn't seem excessive at the
    time, and it still doesn't.

    >I have no objective
    >other then to tell it as I sees it.


    Exactly the same for me.

    >And yet they are stuck with eCS no matter what.


    I don't understand; if eCS fails in some spectacular way which I can't
    live with (hasn't yet) I can go back to Warp 4. Or WSeB. I'll probably
    find another use for the copy of eCS. Don't see how I'm any more
    'stuck with it' than with any other piece of software I buy?

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  13. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    > http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    > 05-18-05.


    Where does one fing it? I went to the above URL and logged in, went to
    downloads and entered spdst10156.zip into the search block. No results.

    Ted

  14. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Ted Edwards wrote:

    > Mark Dodel wrote:
    >
    >> Look for the SpeedStep update (spdst10156.zip) on
    >> http://www.ecomstation.com it includes the latest APM.SYS from
    >> 05-18-05.

    >
    >
    > Where does one fing it? I went to the above URL and logged in, went
    > to downloads and entered spdst10156.zip into the search block. No
    > results.
    >
    > Ted


    I never seem to get any results from searches there, either. However,
    after I found the item, I went back and "re-searched" on the string
    "SpeedStep", and then, something WAS found (actually, I guess there were
    7 hits); I only had to page down about three pages!

    If you go into "All Device Drivers", you should find:
    *Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology support for OS/2*
    about 2/3 of the way down on the first page (items 1 - 20 of 72 in my case).

    Click on "download update", and you'll see the file I mentioned.

    I just realized that I've never looked at the remaining 52 items in "All
    Device Drivers"!

  15. Re: Latest APM.SYS Driver?

    Colin Campbell wrote:
    > Click on "download update", and you'll see the file I mentioned.
    >
    > I just realized that I've never looked at the remaining 52 items in "All
    > Device Drivers"!


    Thanks. That did it.

    Ted