Re: "Parallels" - virtual machine? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: "Parallels" - virtual machine? - OS2 ; Aaron Lawrence wrote: > At that very moment, James J. Weinkam turned to comp.os.os2.misc and > said > >>If you have to host it on Windows or linux that pretty well disqualifies it in >>my opinion. > > > What ...

  1. Re: "Parallels" - virtual machine?

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > At that very moment, James J. Weinkam turned to comp.os.os2.misc and
    > said
    >
    >>If you have to host it on Windows or linux that pretty well disqualifies it in
    >>my opinion.

    > What difference does it make? Either way you get to run both the
    > Windows/Linux apps and your OS/2 apps. I find VPC hosted on Windows very
    > convenient, much more convenient than the 2 PCs I used to have.

    This is the new line coming out of Serenity who just lost their
    Windows/Linux SVISTA developerls, Parallels. Parallels
    will release their own VM product in direct competition
    with Serenity's SVISTA. These eCS salesmen will spin, spin,
    spin it any way they can and the new spin is to say "What
    difference does it make?"

    Hummm... OS/2's much higher stability and power are the
    crowning glory and you won't find that in Windows or Linux.

    How many companies have now abandoned Serenity?
    The list is longer then my arm. The dissolution between
    Parallel and Serenity leaves SVISTA in the dust.

    eCS Lusers are finally letting the dead-end of their situation
    sink in. IBM isn't going to hand over OS/2 source code to
    Serenity - hell, Serenity can't keep their business partners
    for more then a hot minute.

  2. Re: "Parallels" - virtual machine?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> At that very moment, James J. Weinkam turned to comp.os.os2.misc and said
    >>
    >>> If you have to host it on Windows or linux that pretty well
    >>> disqualifies it in my opinion.

    >> What difference does it make? Either way you get to run both the
    >> Windows/Linux apps and your OS/2 apps. I find VPC hosted on Windows
    >> very convenient, much more convenient than the 2 PCs I used to have.
    >>

    > This is the new line coming out of Serenity who just lost their
    > Windows/Linux SVISTA developerls, Parallels. Parallels
    > will release their own VM product in direct competition
    > with Serenity's SVISTA. These eCS salesmen will spin, spin,
    > spin it any way they can and the new spin is to say "What
    > difference does it make?"
    >
    > Hummm... OS/2's much higher stability and power are the
    > crowning glory and you won't find that in Windows or Linux.
    >
    > How many companies have now abandoned Serenity?
    > The list is longer then my arm. The dissolution between
    > Parallel and Serenity leaves SVISTA in the dust.
    >
    > eCS Lusers are finally letting the dead-end of their situation
    > sink in. IBM isn't going to hand over OS/2 source code to
    > Serenity - hell, Serenity can't keep their business partners
    > for more then a hot minute.

    So Parallels were the guys providing the Windows and Linux
    development end of SVISTA and they pulled out?

    Shame.

    The eCS Guy

  3. Re: "Parallels" - virtual machine?

    The eCS Guy wrote:

    > So Parallels were the guys providing the Windows and Linux
    > development end of SVISTA and they pulled out?
    >
    > Shame.
    >
    > The eCS Guy

    "As it stands now, sVista simply is worthless. Everybody was hoping
    sVista would get better in the (near) feature, but it seems with the
    Parallel Systems affair we have been skooped again once more. "
    said Kris Steenhaut, Sep. 18

    Don't count on SSI being around after 2006 for after that time SSI
    will be forced into funding, ie., ponying up cash for, device drivers.
    Due to a lack of cashflow (sales) SSI can't do it. Add to this the
    fact that OS/2 cannot be upgraded or updated without the OS/2
    source code which IBM won't let them have and every person
    who invested in eCS loses his/her shirt.