Speed Step Fix Pack and R51 question - OS2

This is a discussion on Speed Step Fix Pack and R51 question - OS2 ; The MCP2 install and what looks like the latest XRC-05 plus DDVR fixes fail on the R51 with a Trap D associated with APM.SYS of 05-21-2002 here. Per my records, IBM released a multi-language Speed Step Fix Pack of OS2SPDST.EXE ...

  1. Speed Step Fix Pack and R51 question

    The MCP2 install and what looks like the latest XRC-05 plus DDVR fixes
    fail on the R51 with a Trap D associated with APM.SYS of 05-21-2002
    here. Per my records, IBM released a multi-language Speed Step Fix Pack
    of OS2SPDST.EXE of 01-17-2005 as well as what appears to be a further
    English only version of this dated 05-25-2005. From reading the .TXT
    file for the January release and the notes on the Passport Advantage
    download site for the most recent English only release, it appears that
    this fix is intended only for certain of the T series Thankpads.

    What is the applicability of these Fix Packs for the R51 (R52?) models
    as well? The R51 is working without APM.SYS enabled here. This is a
    complicated issue which involves BIOS settings on the Thinkpad as well.
    I'd like some other experience before embarking on trying to apply this
    to the R51 if anyone can offer it please..

    Thanks ..

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: Speed Step Fix Pack and R51 question

    Further tests reveal the R51 here is DOA and DOU no matter what for this
    error in Advanced Power Management enablement on OS/2.

    Mike Luther wrote:

    > The MCP2 install and what looks like the latest XRC-05 plus DDVR fixes
    > fail on the R51 with a Trap D associated with APM.SYS of 05-21-2002
    > here. Per my records, IBM released a multi-language Speed Step Fix
    > Pack of OS2SPDST.EXE of 01-17-2005 as well as what appears to be a
    > further English only version of this dated 05-25-2005. From reading
    > the .TXT file for the January release and the notes on the Passport
    > Advantage download site for the most recent English only release, it
    > appears that this fix is intended only for certain of the T series
    > Thankpads.

    Recovery of Speedtest and Advanced Power Management technology on the
    failed installation of OS/2 on an R51 appears not possible even with
    the latest OS2SPDTS.EXE from IBM Passport Advantage of 05-26-2005.
    The R51 won't complete any OS/2 install of MCP2 at all and run with the
    installed ACP.SYS driver. You must comment it out of the original
    CONFIG.SYS to finish any install. The original failure produces the
    TRAP D reported earlier. To test if either 01-07-2005 OS2SPDST.EXE or
    05-26-2005 OS2SPDST.EXE will cure this it seems necessary to install
    the earlier one first, then enable APM.SYS in CONFIG.SYS. If it does
    not work, try the latter. Answers:

    APM.SYS 12,571 5-21-02 3:37p - TRAP D
    APM.SYS 14,372 1-13-05 12:37p - Locks boot after SDD loader
    Version 220 - Build 462.
    APM.SYS 14,464 5-18-05 12:28p - Locks boot after SDD loader
    Version 220 - Build 462.

    Adding a remark in CONFIG.SYS before the line:

    REM *** DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\APM.SYS

    will produce a full boot run SDD/SNAP enabled. That or the
    IBMGRADD video, although neither IBM video or SDD/SNAP will
    produce a clean DOS-VDM Window Session on anything but the
    very first lowest resolution video choice of 640 X 480 at
    the very first color depth selection.

    Now what?

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!