Trap D on fresh MCP2 R51 install - OS2

This is a discussion on Trap D on fresh MCP2 R51 install - OS2 ; Fresh MCP2 install on a new R51 fails at the initial boot to OS/2 with a Trap D as follows: Exception in module: TRAP 000d ERRCD=0000 ERACC=**** ERLIM=******** EAX=0000530e EBX=f9800000 ECX=00000102 EDX=00000741 ESI=fa1f04c0 EDI=00000001 EBP=00004e52 FLG=00013202 CS:EIP=0c08:00000001 CSACC=109b CSLIM=0000fffe SS:ESP=0030:00004e40 ...

  1. Trap D on fresh MCP2 R51 install

    Fresh MCP2 install on a new R51 fails at the initial boot to OS/2 with a
    Trap D as follows:

    Exception in module:
    TRAP 000d ERRCD=0000 ERACC=**** ERLIM=********
    EAX=0000530e EBX=f9800000 ECX=00000102 EDX=00000741
    ESI=fa1f04c0 EDI=00000001 EBP=00004e52 FLG=00013202
    CS:EIP=0c08:00000001 CSACC=109b CSLIM=0000fffe
    SS:ESP=0030:00004e40 SSACC=1097 SSLIM=00003fff
    DS=0bf8 DSACC=0093 DSLIM=0000043f CR0=8001001b
    ES=0030 ESACC=1097 ESLIM=00003fff CR2=fabd4027
    FS=0ca8 FSACC=0093 FSLIM=000019ee
    GS=0d00 GSACC=0093 GSLIM=0000018a

    The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c.
    60000, 9084

    078606d6
    Internal revision 14.089_W4

    I can boot to the command line on this R51 at that point with .
    From there, I can acutally get briefly to the Desktop and see the
    initial install Desktop by simply entering the command PMSHELL at C:\.
    Which then is quickly followed by the 'standard' OS/2 install screen and
    we're right back at the CD-ROM install at the Desktop screen.

    I chose not to install any Network Adapter, nor Audio, nor Printer for
    the initial install. I can use TEDIT to edit CONFIG.SYS, and note that
    the IBMLANLK and CLEANUP are still it it at this point. The default
    SVGA video is still there, as would be expected. And since it actually
    can sbow, for a moment, the correct desktop and revert to the PM install
    screen, one would think this isn't a video problem.

    Any suggestion on how to debug what driver is doing this via hand
    manipulation of the CONFIG.SYS file, and/or import into the system from
    a valid CD-ROM drive which it can see at command line, of a utility to
    debug and fix this?

    Thanks!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: Trap D on fresh MCP2 R51 install

    Apparently 'solved' ..

    Mike Luther wrote:

    > Fresh MCP2 install on a new R51 fails at the initial boot to OS/2 with
    > a Trap D as follows:
    >
    > Exception in module:
    > TRAP 000d ERRCD=0000 ERACC=**** ERLIM=********
    > EAX=0000530e EBX=f9800000 ECX=00000102 EDX=00000741
    > ESI=fa1f04c0 EDI=00000001 EBP=00004e52 FLG=00013202
    > CS:EIP=0c08:00000001 CSACC=109b CSLIM=0000fffe
    > SS:ESP=0030:00004e40 SSACC=1097 SSLIM=00003fff
    > DS=0bf8 DSACC=0093 DSLIM=0000043f CR0=8001001b
    > ES=0030 ESACC=1097 ESLIM=00003fff CR2=fabd4027
    > FS=0ca8 FSACC=0093 FSLIM=000019ee
    > GS=0d00 GSACC=0093 GSLIM=0000018a
    >
    > The system detected an internal processing error at
    > location ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c.
    > 60000, 9084
    >
    > 078606d6
    > Internal revision 14.089_W4

    It appears to be related to APM as released in at least the MCP2 install
    version latest on the CD-ROM's now distributed with brand new OS/2
    membership material, the ones produced in Ireland. I doubt if this is a
    regression either. During the install you'll notice that the Advanced
    Power Management icon is shown as active in the pane with serial port
    and other options. I didn't turn it off.

    When the Trap D occurs on that second reboot, jsut before OS/2 finishes
    the install from MCP2, on this R51, I can choose the option to use F1> at the OS/2 Boot Blob. Choose to boot to a command line. At
    the command line use the IBM provided TEDIT text file editor to edit
    CONFIG.SYS. Add a REM in front of these two lines as shown below:

    REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\APM.SYS
    REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VAPM.SYS

    The R51 here then immediated rebooted normally. Yes, there is a very
    recent update via Passport Advantage which, IIRC, addresses power
    management problems on Thinkpad units. I have not installed and tried
    it here yet. In any event, even if it works, unless you are using the
    modified CD install technique and the fix becomes a part of the original
    install, it won't do any good for an original install.

    I'll report back on the fix when I get data on it later as seen here
    from the distributed fix which I already had.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  3. Re: Trap D on fresh MCP2 R51 install

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:50:06 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    > Fresh MCP2 install on a new R51 fails at the initial boot to OS/2 with a
    > Trap D as follows:

    Did you REM out the APM.SYS lines? That was the only problem I had
    installing eCS 1.2 on an R51.
    Jayant
    --
    Jayant Murthy
    Indian Institute of Astrophysics

  4. Re: Trap D on fresh MCP2 R51 install

    I finally figured this out ..

    Jayant Murthy wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:50:06 UTC, Mike Luther
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Fresh MCP2 install on a new R51 fails at the initial boot to OS/2 with a
    >>Trap D as follows:
    >>

    >Did you REM out the APM.SYS lines? That was the only problem I had
    >installing eCS 1.2 on an R51.
    >Jayant

    And got it to finish the install run Jayant. After which I've
    discovered that a number of others have the same solution.

    While you are here and report that you have experience with the R51,
    would you share another bit of experience with us? Which of the models
    do you have; the Intel dual chip video model or the ATI video model?
    Can you open a DOS-VDM window session on any advanced screen resolution
    to the complete windowed session on the normal desktop without total
    initial screen corruption that requires an that then pops a
    working full screen DOS session, then a subsequent that will
    then produced the desired DIS_VDM window session?

    The model that produces this flaw here is the Intel 825/855 video
    chipset model. I would dearly like to know if the ATI 7500 video
    version of the R51 has this same issue or not? At first I thought that
    some versions of the "T" series Tpads also used that Intel 825/855 video
    chipset, but on further research I don't think that is true. If you (or
    anyone else!) have the R51 with the ATI 7500 chipset and it does not
    have this bug it would be very helpful to know this.

    Then .. armed with this information, and which model you have of the
    R51, Veit Kannegieser has posted a suggestion to try his APMBIOS.SYS as
    a possible fix for the APM.SYS error on the R51. That in another thread
    on this. His suggestion is on my list of things to try. But two other
    things which might also be involved in the near-done but still not
    working R51-OS/2 project here, as I see it, including the video
    corruption issue need to be drilled down into before the APM borehole,
    as I see it.

    I could be totally wrong there also! Don't claim to be a guru at
    anything but breaking things that ought to work... chuckle.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

+ Reply to Thread