What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2? - OS2

This is a discussion on What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2? - OS2 ; Is there more changed then just the GUI? Any pros/cons for migrating?...

  1. What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Is there more changed then just the GUI?
    Any pros/cons for migrating?

  2. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    On 14 Sep 2005 17:07:21 -0700, JimboJones768@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there more changed then just the GUI?

    Plenty. First of all, eCS is based on the MCP codebase, which includes
    significant changes to the OS over Warp 4, including:

    * Logical Volume Manager
    * JFS support
    * UDF/DVD support
    * 32-bit kernel enhancements (also available in later Warp 4 FixPaks)
    * TCP/IP 4.3x & MPTS 6.0x (also available for Warp 4 through PA/SWC)
    * USB support (also available for Warp 4 through PA/SWC)

    And includes a considerable list of extra features, depending on the
    version; eCS 1.2 includes:

    * GUI enhancements (dialogs, icons, eStyler, eWorkplace, etc.)
    * Multimedia MMPM replacement
    * Integrates much more recent fixes and driver versions than MCP
    * Installer improvements such as AMD64 compatibility
    * Enhanced utilities (system editor, help viewer, clock program, etc.)

    As well as including additional or updated software/applications, such as:

    * Mozilla
    * Acrobat Reader 4
    * Java 1.4.2
    * Innotek Font Engine
    * Many more web browser plugins
    * 'Bonus' apps like screen saver, limited edition RSJ CD-Writer, ...

    > Any pros/cons for migrating?

    If by 'migrating', you mean installing over an existing copy (to retain
    software, settings, etc.) then I wouldn't generally recommend it for any
    operating system (OS/2, Linux, Windows, whatever) -- on general principle.
    It's always much safer to install fresh.

    Migration works for many people. It may not migrate all of your
    application settings, so a good bit of configuration tweaking will almost
    certainly be necessary anyway. It won't work perfectly on all systems,
    nor is it possible to ever design a migration process that will: quite
    simply, since there is an infinite number of possible system
    configurations out there, it's logically impossible to anticipate and plan
    for all of them.

    That said, migration has been steadily improving in reliability with every
    eCS release. Version 1.0 didn't support it at all. Version 1.1 had some
    support, but mostly relied on IBM's migration logic for the base OS, and
    did little if anything beyond that. Version 1.2 introduced a more
    comprehensive migration process which improved reliability considerably,
    and the upcoming media refresh improves on it a bit more.

    Of course, always make sure you have a backup of your system first.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  3. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Hi

    JimboJones768@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is there more changed then just the GUI?

    You do not have to install the default eCS1.2 gui which is eWorkPlace.
    You can opt, using Advanced Install, for the earlier eCS1.0 look - a
    slightly rearranged, "tarted-up" Warp4 Desktop which is my preference or
    I think you can even have a standard Warp4 Desktop.

    > Any pros/cons for migrating?

    Same access to IBM updates as with Software Choice/PA or whatever it is
    now called but at a cheaper price plus some extras thrown in.

    Possible development past the IBM "OS/2 is now definitely dead" point.

    I think Alex covers most other aspects...

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Peter Brown wrote:

    > Possible development past the IBM "OS/2 is now definitely dead" point

    And people wonder where the 'misnomer marketing statements'
    come from.

    There is no "possible development of OS/2. None. Nada. Zilch.
    Lying to the potential customer will only throw the **** back into
    your already ugly face, Peter Brown.

  5. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Hi Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >

    >> Possible development past the IBM "OS/2 is now definitely dead" point

    > And people wonder where the 'misnomer marketing statements'
    > come from.
    >
    > There is no "possible development of OS/2. None. Nada. Zilch.
    > Lying to the potential customer will only throw the **** back into
    > your already ugly face, Peter Brown.

    Keep taking the medicine ;-)

    Pete

  6. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Hi Petey!

    > Hi Timmy
    >
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Brown wrote:

    >>> Possible development past the IBM "OS/2 is now definitely dead" point

    >> And people wonder where the 'misnomer marketing statements'
    >> come from.
    >>
    >> There is no "possible development of OS/2. None. Nada. Zilch.
    >> Lying to the potential customer will only throw the **** back into
    >> your already ugly face, Peter Brown.

    > Keep taking the medicine ;-)

    Oh look! All you've got is a nubby down there! ;-)

  7. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Alex Taylor schrieb:

    > On 14 Sep 2005 17:07:21 -0700, JimboJones768@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Any pros/cons for migrating?

    > If by 'migrating', you mean installing over an existing copy (to retain
    > software, settings, etc.) then I wouldn't generally recommend it for any
    > operating system (OS/2, Linux, Windows, whatever) -- on general principle.

    Neither OS/2 nor Linux is Windows.

    My OS/2 system is basically OS/2 2.11 which was upgraded to Warp3, then
    to Warp4, then to MCP1 and then to MCP2(refresh).
    With Debian upgrading is even easier, you can do this with running
    system.

    Hendrik

  8. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    > Alex Taylor schrieb:
    >
    >>On 14 Sep 2005 17:07:21 -0700, JimboJones768@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any pros/cons for migrating?

    >>If by 'migrating', you mean installing over an existing copy (to retain
    >>software, settings, etc.) then I wouldn't generally recommend it for any
    >>operating system (OS/2, Linux, Windows, whatever) -- on general principle.

    > Neither OS/2 nor Linux is Windows.
    >
    > My OS/2 system is basically OS/2 2.11 which was upgraded to Warp3, then
    > to Warp4, then to MCP1 and then to MCP2(refresh).
    > With Debian upgrading is even easier, you can do this with running
    > system.

    Same here. I've migrated with each successive upgrade of OS/2
    without problem. Migrating from Warp to eComStation usually fails
    and is not recommended, almost always by eComStation users.

    With OS/2 you can migrate upward. With eComStation you start
    from scratch also known as a clean install.

    The eCS Guy

  9. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Hendrik Schmieder spake unto us, saying:

    >Alex Taylor schrieb:
    >
    >> If by 'migrating', you mean installing over an existing copy (to retain
    >> software, settings, etc.) then I wouldn't generally recommend it for any
    >> operating system (OS/2, Linux, Windows, whatever) -- on general principle.

    >Neither OS/2 nor Linux is Windows.

    His recommendation is still valid.

    Updating an existing OS installation is almost always risky, and it can
    cause all kinds of unanticipated problems (especially if you've done
    any sizable amount of customization).

    If you can do a clean install in parallel, I'd recommend that instead.

    If you can't, and if migration is your only option, PLEASE do yourself
    (and us) a big favor and make a good *verified* backup before you try
    to perform the OS migration or upgrade. That lets you undo things if
    the migration doesn't go as well as you expected...

    (I've burned myself with both OS/2 and Linux upgrades over the years,
    albeit rarely, so it's just just Chicken Little talking -- bad things
    can happen even to the most prepared people).

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  10. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Hello Timmy

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Hi Petey!
    >
    >> Hi Timmy
    >>
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    >>> And people wonder where the 'misnomer marketing statements'
    >>> come from.
    >>>
    >>> There is no "possible development of OS/2. None. Nada. Zilch.
    >>> Lying to the potential customer will only throw the **** back into
    >>> your already ugly face, Peter Brown.

    >> Keep taking the medicine ;-)

    > Oh look! All you've got is a nubby down there! ;-)

    Have you been peeking through keyholes again?

    You'll get a cold in your eye ;-)

    Pete

  11. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    The eCS Guy wrote:

    > Same here. I've migrated with each successive upgrade of OS/2
    > without problem. Migrating from Warp to eComStation usually fails
    > and is not recommended, almost always by eComStation users.
    >
    > With OS/2 you can migrate upward. With eComStation you start
    > from scratch also known as a clean install.
    >
    > The eCS Guy

    Well, you're not going to get the eCS investor to admit this. In fact
    they will lie and tell the potential customer it is very possible, some
    will even claim they migrated their previous eCS v1.0 or v1.1
    desktops but the public complaints listed in the eCS Yahoo and
    news.ecomstation.nl groups reveals the truth.

    What eCS investors work very hard at is convincing the OS/2
    user to start all over with eCS. eCS simply doesn't get along
    with OS/2 very well and should an OS/2 user is able to migrate
    a Warp 4 system over to eCS and then reports complaints and
    requests for assistance, they will be ignored most of the time.

    Migrating from Warp 4 to Warp 4.51 and then to Warp 4.52 is
    almost always (99%) successful.

  12. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Richard Steiner schrieb:

    > Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    > Hendrik Schmieder spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Alex Taylor schrieb:
    > >
    > >> If by 'migrating', you mean installing over an existing copy (to retain
    > >> software, settings, etc.) then I wouldn't generally recommend it for any
    > >> operating system (OS/2, Linux, Windows, whatever) -- on general principle.

    > >Neither OS/2 nor Linux is Windows.

    > His recommendation is still valid.

    IMHO, the best way to handle this situation is the following
    - First try to upgrade your existing partition.
    - If this fails, you can still make a clean install.

    Hendrik

  13. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc,
    Hendrik Schmieder spake unto us, saying:

    >IMHO, the best way to handle this situation is the following
    >- First try to upgrade your existing partition.
    >- If this fails, you can still make a clean install.

    I agree. But please make a backup first. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  14. Re: What is difference between OS/2 Warp 4 & eComStation 1.2?

    The *real* difference is the same indifference Linux users
    have toward "Gentoo".

    Here's a quote I came across today in a personal blog/diary:

    "Gentoo is a Linux distribution that I intensely dislike. The system
    doesn't seem to be put together very well, the overall aim of the
    system seems to be in a bad direction, and any suggestion for
    change is attacked by people who have the Amiga Persecution
    Complex."

    Replace Gentoo with eComStation, Linux with OS/2 and
    the rest of the sentiment is the same.

    eCS is just a piece of crap being peddled by another
    one of those flaky OS/2 con artists we've all come to
    know and despise.

    Boob St. John promised to develop new OS/2 drivers,
    promised to give the eCS buyer a killer app called
    "WiseMachine" and the ability to install his product
    in as little as 32-seconds. eCS is nothing more than
    a silly new GUI slapped on an older version of OS/2.

    Every partner Serenity has had the misfortune of
    teaming up with has walked out the door within
    months of teaming up. Parallels is the most recent
    and their departure ensures the death of the infamous
    "SVISTA" Serenity was claiming would be their
    second killer app.

    If you are so stupid to buy into eCS then you deserve
    to be revealed for what you are, especially after all
    the warnings that have been published: you are an
    idyit of the worst kind.