more networking speed questions - OS2

This is a discussion on more networking speed questions - OS2 ; My speed problems have come and gone and come and gone since I thought htey were fixed. It's very strange and I don't understand. I shut the computer down, when i was going away for a couple of days, and ...

  1. more networking speed questions

    My speed problems have come and gone and come and gone since I thought
    htey were fixed. It's very strange and I don't understand.

    I shut the computer down, when i was going away for a couple of days,
    and on reboot, when everything powered up and I checked the website
    www.testmy.net I found I was getting around 3.5 MB downloads from my
    Comcast internet line. To remind everone, I'm subscribed at 8 MB. At
    the same time, my XP computer was getting around 8300, so I know the
    internet connection is running at the proper speed. I have a linksys
    wrt54g router connecting everything, and everything is wired (the
    wireless interface is usually disabled, except when I'm using my
    laptop).

    I did a bunch of reboots, etc but nothing could speed up eCS.
    Interestingly, my inetcfg.ini has the tcpip receive and send window
    sizes as 150380, but when I used the tweak site on dsl reports, it
    reported my receive window as 65536. Their suggestion was to set the
    receive window higher. No matter how many times I re-loaded
    inetcfg.ini or even typed directly inetcfg -s tcprwinsize 150380 the
    dsl reports site consistently reported the value as 65536. to make it
    stranger, when I typed inetcfg -g tcprwinsize it said I had it set to
    150380, yet those settings weren't getting recognized, at least not by
    the tweak site.

    Taking an older suggestion just to set everything to default, I tried
    running inetcfg -r all to set everything back to default, but that
    didn't speed me up. I then re-loaded inetcfg.ini with a -s all
    command.

    I started fooling around, and set the wrt54g from "gateway" to
    "router" with authomatic routing enabled. When I did that,neither of
    my computers could ping the internet, even after I released and
    requested the DHCP settings. Next I re-set the 54G back to gateway,
    and released and re-requested the DHCP settings on the eCS box. I
    re-ran testmy.net and wsa getting the 8.3 MB on eCS I should have been
    getting all along. The dslreports tweak site now had my receive
    window as 150380!!!

    Clearly I need to do something for that higher receive window to
    "take" because simply typing inetcfg -s 150380 doesn't do it all by
    itself. It also seems that settign the receive window to that higher
    value is needed in order for eCS to receive at 8MB.

    Can anyone explain this, as well as tell me what to do to get that
    higher receive window to take. While eCS thinks it's always set to
    those high values, clearly the router/cable modem doesn't agree.
    --

  2. Re: more networking speed questions

    > My speed problems have come and gone and come and gone since I thought
    > htey were fixed. It's very strange and I don't understand.
    >
    > I shut the computer down, when i was going away for a couple of days,
    > and on reboot, when everything powered up and I checked the website
    > www.testmy.net I found I was getting around 3.5 MB downloads from my
    > Comcast internet line. To remind everone, I'm subscribed at 8 MB. At
    > the same time, my XP computer was getting around 8300, so I know the
    > internet connection is running at the proper speed. I have a linksys
    > wrt54g router connecting everything, and everything is wired (the
    > wireless interface is usually disabled, except when I'm using my
    > laptop).
    >
    > I did a bunch of reboots, etc but nothing could speed up eCS.
    > Interestingly, my inetcfg.ini has the tcpip receive and send window
    > sizes as 150380, but when I used the tweak site on dsl reports, it
    > reported my receive window as 65536. Their suggestion was to set the
    > receive window higher. No matter how many times I re-loaded
    > inetcfg.ini or even typed directly inetcfg -s tcprwinsize 150380 the
    > dsl reports site consistently reported the value as 65536. to make it
    > stranger, when I typed inetcfg -g tcprwinsize it said I had it set to
    > 150380, yet those settings weren't getting recognized, at least not by
    > the tweak site.

    The internet site sees only the TCP window size of the gateway which
    is your router. So simply changing the window size on eCS is not
    enough because the router still uses the previous window size.

    > Taking an older suggestion just to set everything to default, I tried
    > running inetcfg -r all to set everything back to default, but that
    > didn't speed me up. I then re-loaded inetcfg.ini with a -s all
    > command.
    >
    > I started fooling around, and set the wrt54g from "gateway" to
    > "router" with authomatic routing enabled. When I did that,neither of
    > my computers could ping the internet, even after I released and
    > requested the DHCP settings. Next I re-set the 54G back to gateway,
    > and released and re-requested the DHCP settings on the eCS box. I
    > re-ran testmy.net and wsa getting the 8.3 MB on eCS I should have been
    > getting all along. The dslreports tweak site now had my receive
    > window as 150380!!!

    Looks like the transfer of the settings of TCP are part of the
    DHCP protocol or the lan interface configuration. So the router
    will only get the new settings when you either renew the DHCP
    session or reconfigure the lan interface after changing the window
    size.

    Did you try to set the window size in TCPEXIT.CMD (or TCPINIT.CMD)
    in x:\tcpip\bin before the lan interface gets configured ?
    (Don't remember the name of the script as I currently have no access
    to my eCS box. Simply grep for ifconfig in all .cmd. In this script
    several other scripts are called, either before ifconfig or after.
    Take the one before ifconfig and add the required inetcfg stuff.)

    When you added the necessary inetcfg calls, reboot!

    There is also a way to restart the TCP/IP configuration without
    reboot, but I can't remember currently how the script is called.

    > Clearly I need to do something for that higher receive window to
    > "take" because simply typing inetcfg -s 150380 doesn't do it all by
    > itself. It also seems that settign the receive window to that higher
    > value is needed in order for eCS to receive at 8MB.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this, as well as tell me what to do to get that
    > higher receive window to take. While eCS thinks it's always set to
    > those high values, clearly the router/cable modem doesn't agree.

    See above.

    Heiko

  3. Re: more networking speed questions

    Sir:

    Mark Klebanoff wrote:
    > My speed problems have come and gone and come and gone since I thought
    > htey were fixed. It's very strange and I don't understand.
    >
    > I shut the computer down, when i was going away for a couple of days,
    > and on reboot, when everything powered up and I checked the website
    > www.testmy.net I found I was getting around 3.5 MB downloads from my
    > Comcast internet line. To remind everone, I'm subscribed at 8 MB. At
    > the same time, my XP computer was getting around 8300, so I know the
    > internet connection is running at the proper speed. I have a linksys
    > wrt54g router connecting everything, and everything is wired (the
    > wireless interface is usually disabled, except when I'm using my
    > laptop).
    >
    > I did a bunch of reboots, etc but nothing could speed up eCS.
    > Interestingly, my inetcfg.ini has the tcpip receive and send window
    > sizes as 150380, but when I used the tweak site on dsl reports, it
    > reported my receive window as 65536. Their suggestion was to set the
    > receive window higher. No matter how many times I re-loaded
    > inetcfg.ini or even typed directly inetcfg -s tcprwinsize 150380 the
    > dsl reports site consistently reported the value as 65536. to make it
    > stranger, when I typed inetcfg -g tcprwinsize it said I had it set to
    > 150380, yet those settings weren't getting recognized, at least not by
    > the tweak site.
    >
    > Taking an older suggestion just to set everything to default, I tried
    > running inetcfg -r all to set everything back to default, but that
    > didn't speed me up. I then re-loaded inetcfg.ini with a -s all
    > command.
    >
    > I started fooling around, and set the wrt54g from "gateway" to
    > "router" with authomatic routing enabled. When I did that,neither of
    > my computers could ping the internet, even after I released and
    > requested the DHCP settings. Next I re-set the 54G back to gateway,
    > and released and re-requested the DHCP settings on the eCS box. I
    > re-ran testmy.net and wsa getting the 8.3 MB on eCS I should have been
    > getting all along. The dslreports tweak site now had my receive
    > window as 150380!!!
    >
    > Clearly I need to do something for that higher receive window to
    > "take" because simply typing inetcfg -s 150380 doesn't do it all by
    > itself. It also seems that settign the receive window to that higher
    > value is needed in order for eCS to receive at 8MB.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this, as well as tell me what to do to get that
    > higher receive window to take. While eCS thinks it's always set to
    > those high values, clearly the router/cable modem doesn't agree.

    From your description of how you got the higher speed, it seems that
    your router box has to be reconfigured to recognize the higher
    parameters that have in your eCS box. Heiko hit the nail with his
    suggestion that you reboot the gateway after you bring up the eCS box.
    You can set up a telenet script to do this and call it from your
    B4TCP.CMD file (assumes that the gateway has a telenet connection) after
    you've set (load) the higher parameters in the B4TCP.CMD file.
    Otherwise you would need to hit the reset button on the router (a pain
    in rear) each time you bring up the eCS box.

    I would write a complaint to the makers of the router box and suggest
    that they fix the firmware. I wonder if there is another way to do this....

    There has been reports of using eCS at a higher speed without raising
    the size of either the send or rec windows. I seem to do that here on
    the LAN, which is only running at 100 Mb/sec. Have you tried enabling
    selective ACK (sack)?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: more networking speed questions

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
> [...]

    > parameters that have in your eCS box. Heiko hit the nail with his
    > suggestion that you reboot the gateway after you bring up the eCS box.
    > You can set up a telenet script to do this and call it from your
    > B4TCP.CMD file (assumes that the gateway has a telenet connection) after
    > you've set (load) the higher parameters in the B4TCP.CMD file. Otherwise
    > you would need to hit the reset button on the router (a pain in rear)
    > each time you bring up the eCS box.
    >
    > I would write a complaint to the makers of the router box and suggest
    > that they fix the firmware. I wonder if there is another way to do
    > this....
    >
    > There has been reports of using eCS at a higher speed without raising
    > the size of either the send or rec windows. I seem to do that here on
    > the LAN, which is only running at 100 Mb/sec. Have you tried enabling

    Actually, yes-- that was one of the recommendations on the tweak site.
    I'm sure it helped a little, but the tweak site acknowledged that I had
    sack turned on when I get only 4 MB speed.

    Next time I have a slow speed problem I'll play with the router some
    more. Meanwhile I'll enjoy the better speed.

+ Reply to Thread