Why is my system so sluggish? - OS2

This is a discussion on Why is my system so sluggish? - OS2 ; The first cause is my low-power processor (Pentium 150) of course. When I start a CPU-intensive task like a FIND in PMMAIL/2, the system becomes insensitive to the keyboard and the mouse. I do not use TIMESLICE, MAXWAIT and PRIORITY ...

  1. Why is my system so sluggish?

    The first cause is my low-power processor (Pentium 150) of course.

    When I start a CPU-intensive task like a FIND in PMMAIL/2, the system
    becomes insensitive to the keyboard and the mouse. I do not use
    TIMESLICE, MAXWAIT and PRIORITY in CONFIG.SYS so that OS/2 can
    dynamically adjust the task priorities.

    Is there anything I can do short of using a powerful processor?

    Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    --
    Jean Castonguay
    lectrocommande Pascal

  2. Re: Why is my system so sluggish?

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:41:47 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Jean Castonguay"
    wrote:

    > The first cause is my low-power processor (Pentium 150) of course.
    >
    > When I start a CPU-intensive task like a FIND in PMMAIL/2, the system
    > becomes insensitive to the keyboard and the mouse. I do not use
    > TIMESLICE, MAXWAIT and PRIORITY in CONFIG.SYS so that OS/2 can
    > dynamically adjust the task priorities.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do short of using a powerful processor?

    I just used search in PMMail through about 5,000 mails and it ran my 1GHz P-III
    processor at around 15%. It's possible that on a machine with a P-I 150MHz that
    you don't have an IDE controller that does DMA busmastering - in fact it's not
    just possible, it's more than likely. If you have a spare PCI slot and around
    US$20 you could try installing a PCI EIDE card and attach your hard disk(s) to
    that and it will support DMA and your cpu usage should drop dramatically. This
    does of course assume that the hard disk itself is more recent than the
    motherboard and supports some form of UDMA - otherwise you'd need to look at
    replacing that too.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  3. Re: Why is my system so sluggish?

    In a system like that it is possible that you have a low capacity
    5400rpm disk. If so, that is probably the first bottleneck. If you can
    find a 7200 rpm 8GB (or even 4GB) disk, your BIOS will probably accept
    it and you should see a speed improvement.

    Jean Castonguay wrote:
    > The first cause is my low-power processor (Pentium 150) of course.
    >
    > When I start a CPU-intensive task like a FIND in PMMAIL/2, the system
    > becomes insensitive to the keyboard and the mouse. I do not use
    > TIMESLICE, MAXWAIT and PRIORITY in CONFIG.SYS so that OS/2 can
    > dynamically adjust the task priorities.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do short of using a powerful processor?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread