USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40 - OS2

This is a discussion on USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40 - OS2 ; In working with a fresh install of OS/2 on an R40 Thinkpad, the initial install for MCP2 ran clean from the CD-ROM two CD procedure in the standard CDRW-DVDROM drive. Before I ran the install, I made sure that the ...

  1. USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    In working with a fresh install of OS/2 on an R40 Thinkpad, the initial
    install for MCP2 ran clean from the CD-ROM two CD procedure in the
    standard CDRW-DVDROM drive. Before I ran the install, I made sure that
    the BIOS setting for LEGACY mode was set as advised. In fact, though I
    didn't try that form of install for the updated Thinkpad install
    floppies which I do have, I tried DFSEE's DOS boot diskette in a TDK USB
    floppy plugged into the R40. It booted from the floppy and will still
    boot to DOS even from the USB floppy post OS/2 install if I leave a
    bootable DOS floppy diskette in the USB floppy drive! I chose, in this
    case, to do the hard disk work with DFSEE from the little mimi-CD
    version Jan furnishes. That worked fine in this case also.

    But after install, and even after running the latest USBBASIC and USBMSD
    'fixes' from Passport Advantage, nothing I can seem to do will get MCP2
    on this R40 to see the external USB floppy that the R40 knows is there
    if you even stick a boot disk in it during normal boot run.

    Post run of the updates above the CONFIG.SYS file now has in it:

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
    BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD

    To which I've even added special parameters as in the /V to show me what
    is going on and even up to:

    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1 /A_USAGE:2 /V

    I can't see the floppy after the OS/2 boot run in any form of drive in
    the CONNECTIONS folder, either accessed as Drive A: or even another
    upper drive letter. I can see an additional drive letter for the
    expected USB CD-ROM, although I don't have that plugged in yet to test
    it. What am I doing wrong here? Is it maybe because as part of the
    install, the USB device drivers are after the standard IBM floppy device
    drivers in the CONFIG.SYS file?

    Thanks..

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Not that I have a solution, but thanks for the wake up to me that "yea, laptops are USB for FDD these days... dua!" If you find a solution, please post on this thread as I hope to be putting MCP2 on a
    ThinkPad G41 sometime soon.

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  3. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Sir:

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > In working with a fresh install of OS/2 on an R40 Thinkpad, the initial
    > install for MCP2 ran clean from the CD-ROM two CD procedure in the
    > standard CDRW-DVDROM drive. Before I ran the install, I made sure that
    > the BIOS setting for LEGACY mode was set as advised. In fact, though I
    > didn't try that form of install for the updated Thinkpad install
    > floppies which I do have, I tried DFSEE's DOS boot diskette in a TDK USB
    > floppy plugged into the R40. It booted from the floppy and will still
    > boot to DOS even from the USB floppy post OS/2 install if I leave a
    > bootable DOS floppy diskette in the USB floppy drive! I chose, in this
    > case, to do the hard disk work with DFSEE from the little mimi-CD
    > version Jan furnishes. That worked fine in this case also.
    >

    > But after install, and even after running the latest USBBASIC and USBMSD
    > 'fixes' from Passport Advantage, nothing I can seem to do will get MCP2
    > on this R40 to see the external USB floppy that the R40 knows is there
    > if you even stick a boot disk in it during normal boot run.
    >

    > Post run of the updates above the CONFIG.SYS file now has in it:
    >

    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$,USBOHCD$,USBEHCD$
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD
    > BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD
    >

    > To which I've even added special parameters as in the /V to show me what
    > is going on and even up to:
    >

    > BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1 /A_USAGE:2 /V
    >

    > I can't see the floppy after the OS/2 boot run in any form of drive in
    > the CONNECTIONS folder, either accessed as Drive A: or even another
    > upper drive letter. I can see an additional drive letter for the
    > expected USB CD-ROM, although I don't have that plugged in yet to test
    > it. What am I doing wrong here? Is it maybe because as part of the
    > install, the USB device drivers are after the standard IBM floppy device
    > drivers in the CONFIG.SYS file?
    >

    > Thanks..

    IS not the incantation 'USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:1 /FLOPPIES:1'?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    You are right Bill .. but not per the docs!

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Mike Luther wrote:
    >

    >> To which I've even added special parameters as in the /V to show me
    >> what is going on and even up to:
    >>

    >> BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1 /A_USAGE:2 /V
    >>

    > IS not the incantation 'USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:1 /FLOPPIES:1'?

    Wierd! Per the read the forsaken manual, the default for both the
    /REMOVEABLES and the /FLOPPIES is supposed to be number 1. However the
    instant I added your suggestion to the line and used:

    USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:1 /FLOPPIES:1 /A_USAGE:2 /V

    The USB floppy now shows up as A: as I think I want. That, by the way,
    with the BIOS switch for the floppy set to DISABLED and *NOT* to
    LEGACY. Now, for what is is worth here also, if I use this TDK USB
    floppy in the USB slot over on the left side of the R40, I can also boot
    the computer to the DFSEE operation in plain DOS, just as if I had
    loaded A:, C: as the boot order in a 'standard' motherboard BIOS with
    this particular R40. Even without the LEGACY choice in the BIOS.

    However, and interesting 'thing' in such a DOS boot is that the keyboard
    for the R40 has a truncated alphabetic output for what would be the
    UIOP, JKL and M text keys! Yes, I see those 'numbers' there on the R40
    keyboard which means this is intended! But I have no idea how to
    circumvent this issue I've not faced either!

    Thoughts .. or new thread??

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  5. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Sir:

    Mike Luther wrote:

    > However, and interesting 'thing' in such a DOS boot is that the keyboard
    > for the R40 has a truncated alphabetic output for what would be the
    > UIOP, JKL and M text keys! Yes, I see those 'numbers' there on the R40
    > keyboard which means this is intended! But I have no idea how to
    > circumvent this issue I've not faced either!

    Num Lock does not work under DOS? Is there a BIOS setting for NUM LOCK?

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Ye gadfree!

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Mike Luther wrote:
    >

    >> However, and interesting 'thing' in such a DOS boot is that the
    >> keyboard for the R40 has a truncated alphabetic output for what would
    >> be the UIOP, JKL and M text keys! Yes, I see those 'numbers' there
    >> on the R40 keyboard which means this is intended! But I have no idea
    >> how to circumvent this issue I've not faced either!
    >>

    > Num Lock does not work under DOS? Is there a BIOS setting for NUM LOCK?

    You are dead on! This thing is so new to me it never dawned on me that
    those keys in the NUM LOCK mode are shifted to numbers! Dunno about the
    BIOS setting for this, but in the DOS mode it comes up with the NUM LOCK
    function on here. You are right on. If I press SHIFT SCRLK which is
    plainly NUM LOCK we are situation normal for the keyboard.

    Master Dumbo here again... sigh.

    For your thoughts also, getting the floppy to work also has let me go
    ahead and do all the updates to the ThinkPad that I've got on floppy
    diskettes here. At this point it is XCR-05 level, WR08706, UN02206,
    DDVR3 and PEER8605. additional 4.3 TCP fixes including the DHCP fix,
    took the latest Intel PRO-100 NIC stuff from the Intel site that also
    work on the 915GAV motherboards, cheerfully accepted the UNIAUD122 audio
    install and then after that took the GENAUDIO install for WIN-OS2 which
    has sound now as well on this R40. The IBM SE 220 level P/A available
    video is working fine on it at 1024X768 with 64K color level.

    Next comes the local LAN mesh with the rack stuff here, and then a check
    of MOZ 1.7.11 which installed aparently fine. We'll see what happens
    with the Java deal on it as opposed to the Innotek product when I get it
    meshed with PRIVOXY and running with Java 1.3.1 here. Thence all all
    the crunch of utiilties and so on.

    At that point comes the real question I posed elswhere. What happens
    when I clone the hard disk to an external one with DFSEE? Can it be
    re-cloned back into the R40 as such from a USB IDE hard disk? .........

    Your suggestion sure helped Bill.

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  7. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Mike Luther wrote:

    > At that point comes the real question I posed elswhere. What happens
    > when I clone the hard disk to an external one with DFSEE? Can it be
    > re-cloned back into the R40 as such from a USB IDE hard disk? .........

    My suggestion would be to use InfoZip and back up each partition that way. The nice thing about that is that it can be done over the LAN to a non OS/2 box, burned to a CD to restore it (boot disks +
    CD with proper utils = restore solution).

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems
    http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

  8. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Sir:

    Mike Luther wrote:

    > At that point comes the real question I posed elswhere. What happens
    > when I clone the hard disk to an external one with DFSEE? Can it be
    > re-cloned back into the R40 as such from a USB IDE hard disk? .........
    >

    > Your suggestion sure helped Bill.

    If the purpose is to clone off a bunch of laptops, then with the proper
    OS/2 boot disks, I'd say yes. An all floppy boot with DFsee on floppy,
    eminently possible (I've done so with a desktop machine). Would require
    USB hard drive that you know will work with your USB drivers. But if
    you got a CDrom that works with OS/2's USB drivers, then it would be
    faster, assuming that the R40 is USB bootable, as I think it is, to use
    it to boot the machine and run the cloning operation. With USB you can
    have all these devices hook up at once using a hub (Fry's keeps the best
    USB hubs in the MAC section).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  9. Re: USB Floppy not found by OS/2 on R40

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > Ye gadfree!
    >
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Mike Luther wrote:
    >>

    >>> However, and interesting 'thing' in such a DOS boot is that the
    >>> keyboard for the R40 has a truncated alphabetic output for what would
    >>> be the UIOP, JKL and M text keys! Yes, I see those 'numbers' there
    >>> on the R40 keyboard which means this is intended! But I have no idea
    >>> how to circumvent this issue I've not faced either!
    >>>

    >> Num Lock does not work under DOS? Is there a BIOS setting for NUM LOCK?
    >>

    > You are dead on! This thing is so new to me it never dawned on me that
    > those keys in the NUM LOCK mode are shifted to numbers! Dunno about the
    > BIOS setting for this, but in the DOS mode it comes up with the NUM LOCK
    > function on here. You are right on. If I press SHIFT SCRLK which is
    > plainly NUM LOCK we are situation normal for the keyboard.

    Many systems come up with NUM LOCK on by default. Some systems have a CMOS
    setting that allows you to choose the boot up NUM LOCK state, others do not. If
    your system has such a setting, that's the best way to deal with the issue. If
    not, I can send you a 12 byte program, NUMOFF.COM, that you can run from
    AUTOEXEC.BAT to solve the problem.

+ Reply to Thread