com.sys without com port - OS2

This is a discussion on com.sys without com port - OS2 ; Hi Folks, My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed out in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia Cardphone, as it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't talk ...

  1. com.sys without com port

    Hi Folks,

    My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed out
    in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia Cardphone, as
    it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't talk to as I
    have no com ports. And if I unrem com.sys, it gives an error at boot
    and fails to load.

    Is there a solution?

    Ian
    --

  2. Re: com.sys without com port

    Sir:

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed
    > out in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia
    > Cardphone, as it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't
    > talk to as I have no com ports. And if I unrem com.sys, it gives an
    > error at boot and fails to load.
    >
    > Is there a solution?

    WAG: Does the PCMCIA modem says is its com port number, address, irq?
    If you knows that, then you can add that infomation to the com.sys
    driver line in config.sys. See help com.sys. If you have the latest
    com.sys driver, it will support port numbers up to 16 ports. The card
    should be in when you boot?

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: com.sys without com port

    Suggestion ...

    Ian Johnston wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed out
    >in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia Cardphone, as
    >it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't talk to as I
    >have no com ports. And if I unrem com.sys, it gives an error at boot
    >and fails to load.
    >
    >Is there a solution?
    >
    >Ian

    Get a copy of PCIVK101.ZIP off Hobbs. Unzip it into a clean directory.
    Run PCI.EXE in an OS/2 window session. Look to see what that shows you
    is a needed port for your device. Use that port number for the 'serial'
    port address in your config.sys, together with the IRQ wanted and the
    Comm Port number. Does that work?

    Alternatively, I think SIO or SIO2K should let you get a boot run past
    the initial load deal. It shows, if the device is not there, that it
    returns nothing for a functional report here and that is 'normal' for a
    PCI modem. Then when you go to use the device and so on, it will bridge
    you to the device and away you go.

    Just thinking out loud here..

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  4. Re: com.sys without com port

    Ian Johnston wrote:

    > My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed out
    > in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia Cardphone, as
    > it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't talk to as I
    > have no com ports. And if I unrem com.sys, it gives an error at boot
    > and fails to load.

    Even PCCard modems are COM.SYS. You need com.sys and the pcmcia stack
    including BaseDev=AUTODRV2.SYS. Maybe the R40e has an infrared port?

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  5. Re: com.sys without com port

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:28:31 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    : Does the PCMCIA modem says is its com port number, address, irq?
    : If you knows that, then you can add that infomation to the com.sys
    : driver line in config.sys. See help com.sys. If you have the latest
    : com.sys driver, it will support port numbers up to 16 ports. The card
    : should be in when you boot?

    Thanks for that. It says IRQ4, address 3F8, but so sign of a com port
    number.

    I tried booting with the card in and com.sys enabled (what does that
    /F do?). IRQ4,3F8 looks like COM1, but any attempt to access COM1
    (mode, pmqvt, zoc) resulted in the process in question hanging solid
    and needing a vicious killing.

    So I tried with com.sys (3,3F8,4) That gave me a COM3 I could look at
    with mode (9600, 8N1) but any attempt to write to it (mode, pmqvt,
    zoc) resulted in the process hanging /and/ preventing any other
    process starting until the kill was applied.

    All most puzzling.

    Ian

    --

  6. Re: com.sys without com port

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 02:20:55 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

    : Get a copy of PCIVK101.ZIP off Hobbs....

    Thanks - I'll try that.

    : Alternatively, I think SIO or SIO2K

    And that!

    Ian

  7. Re: com.sys without com port

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:30:10 UTC, "Veit Kannegieser"
    wrote:

    : Ian Johnston wrote:
    :
    : > My Thinkpad R40e does not have a serial port, so com.sys is remmed out
    : > in config.sys. I'm trying to use a PCMCIA modem (a Nokia Cardphone, as
    : > it happens) which gets recognized OK, but which I can't talk to as I
    : > have no com ports. And if I unrem com.sys, it gives an error at boot
    : > and fails to load.
    :
    : Even PCCard modems are COM.SYS. You need com.sys and the pcmcia stack
    : including BaseDev=AUTODRV2.SYS. Maybe the R40e has an infrared port?

    Nope, no infra-red. The problem is that com.sys won't load without, as
    far as I can see, a physical com port being present, so at the very
    least I have to boot with the card in.

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread