Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2 - OS2 ; Mike Ross wrote: > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:57:35 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote: > > >>Stop the bull**** ross. There are more people who cannot install ecs then >>OS2 users with a problem. > > > That might be true. ...

  1. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    Mike Ross wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:57:35 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >

    >>Stop the bull**** ross. There are more people who cannot install ecs then
    >>OS2 users with a problem.

    > That might be true. I don't know. If it is true then hopefully we'll
    > hear from some of them. As I made clear I'm only speaking from my own
    > personal experience. It's not bull****, it's an accurate description
    > of what I've experienced.

    Well, here's one. And I have every release of eCS. I have never
    been able to get eCS to install 'as advertised' on a T30, T40 or
    T41. IBM advertises each one of those machines as being supported
    by OS/2 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 does install on each of those machines
    within 20 minutes.

    eCS just sits there spinning in the CD Rom then complains it is
    unable to access the hard drive.

    Could I make eCS work? Probably but what would be the point?
    The entire point of creating eCS was to provided a much improved
    installation program when compared to the installation program IBM
    provides with OS/2 itself. Serenity lied. They still haven't provided
    a better installer - at least one that installs 'as advertised' by Serenity
    themselves.

    And if it won't install 'as advertised' the user can expect to encounter
    even larger more difficult problems should they be fortunate enough
    to get it work.

    >>You are implying that ecs is somehow a fixed version of OS2. It is not.
    >>booby has no code, and no fixes. He has done nothing to improve OS2, and
    >>I dare you to list any fix that has ever come from ecs -- minus the one
    >>IBM made so ecs would install at all.

    > I've implied nothing.

    Not true. You have implied eCS is the replacement for OS/2, that
    eCS is 'newer' and fixes problems previously associated with OS/2.

    > I've stated categorically that for my particular
    > configuration, eCS worked out of the box. The versions of OS/2 from
    > IBM which I tried didn't work. That's ALL I'm saying, I haven't
    > researched the precise nature of the problem, I just wanted a desktop
    > that worked. Fast.

    No one cares about your particular configuration because your
    particular configuration is not 'of the norm'.

  2. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:42:32 UTC, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > here's one. And I have every release of eCS. I have never
    > been able to get eCS to install 'as advertised' on a T30, T40 or
    > T41. IBM advertises each one of those machines as being supported
    > by OS/2 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 does install on each of those machines
    > within 20 minutes.
    >
    > eCS just sits there spinning in the CD Rom then complains it is
    > unable to access the hard drive.
    >
    > Could I make eCS work? Probably but what would be the point?
    > The entire point of creating eCS was to provided a much improved
    > installation program when compared to the installation program IBM
    > provides with OS/2 itself. Serenity lied. They still haven't provided
    > a better installer - at least one that installs 'as advertised' by Serenity
    > themselves.
    >
    > And if it won't install 'as advertised' the user can expect to encounter
    > even larger more difficult problems should they be fortunate enough
    > to get it work.

    Dr. Martin,

    I am sure that your convictions are believable and I find them thoughtful
    despite those who have differing opinions from yours. Laptops are
    very important to me just now.

    I appreciate your views as they give me pause to think more on the
    subjects of computing, particularly your wisdom of laptops in this day
    and age. There seem to be so many people who just do not understand,
    and who do not articulate the fundamentals as clearly as you do. The
    last doctor I recall (Dr. Martinus, I think?) contributed much years ago
    about laptops. Laptops have changed so much now.

    However, could you please explain more about what your doctoral
    discipline is in?

    It would be helpful if you could round this out a bit -- whether yours is an
    M.D. or a PhD? If so, what is your specialty? I cannot guess, and if you
    said so before, I apologise. I don't always read these news groups.

    Perhaps your readings have been in internal medicine, general practice,
    heart surgery -- or if not in medicine, perhaps some thesis like in computers,
    ceramics, social behaviour, nano-tubes, rocket science, or some such?

    Please, I don't want to pry into your privacy, yet if you would care to explain
    more, I would be grateful, and more so if you would mention the school that
    conferred your title, and any papers you may have published in your field.

    Thanks in advance for your kind consideration, professionalism and custom.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  3. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    Erick Andrews wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:42:32 UTC, The OS/2 Guy ☠wrote:
    >

    >>here's one. And I have every release of eCS. I have never
    >>been able to get eCS to install 'as advertised' on a T30, T40 or
    >>T41. IBM advertises each one of those machines as being supported
    >>by OS/2 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 does install on each of those machines
    >>within 20 minutes.
    >>
    >>eCS just sits there spinning in the CD Rom then complains it is
    >>unable to access the hard drive.
    >>
    >>Could I make eCS work? Probably but what would be the point?
    >>The entire point of creating eCS was to provided a much improved
    >>installation program when compared to the installation program IBM
    >>provides with OS/2 itself. Serenity lied. They still haven't provided
    >>a better installer - at least one that installs 'as advertised' by Serenity
    >>themselves.
    >>
    >>And if it won't install 'as advertised' the user can expect to encounter
    >>even larger more difficult problems should they be fortunate enough
    >>to get it work.

    > Dr. Martin,
    >
    > I am sure that your convictions are believable and I find them thoughtful
    > despite those who have differing opinions from yours. Laptops are
    > very important to me just now.
    >
    > I appreciate your views as they give me pause to think more on the
    > subjects of computing, particularly your wisdom of laptops in this day
    > and age. There seem to be so many people who just do not understand,
    > and who do not articulate the fundamentals as clearly as you do. The
    > last doctor I recall (Dr. Martinus, I think?) contributed much years ago
    > about laptops. Laptops have changed so much now.
    >
    > However, could you please explain more about what your doctoral
    > discipline is in?
    >
    > It would be helpful if you could round this out a bit -- whether yours is an
    > M.D. or a PhD? If so, what is your specialty? I cannot guess, and if you
    > said so before, I apologise. I don't always read these news groups.
    >
    > Perhaps your readings have been in internal medicine, general practice,
    > heart surgery -- or if not in medicine, perhaps some thesis like in computers,
    > ceramics, social behaviour, nano-tubes, rocket science, or some such?
    >
    > Please, I don't want to pry into your privacy, yet if you would care to explain
    > more, I would be grateful, and more so if you would mention the school that
    > conferred your title, and any papers you may have published in your field.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your kind consideration, professionalism and custom.

    Mr. Andrews,

    I value my privacy very much. I'm not an idiot. My doctoral discipline
    has nothing to do with OS/2. Exposing that information in a public
    forum would be foolish to do. Despite my desire for privacy two
    individuals from this newsgroup have come to my hometown and
    scrutinized the public records to find my home and other personal
    information. To tout their discovery they left a boastful message in
    my mailbox.

    I gave up desktop machines several years ago when IBM announced
    that OS/2 would be supported on the T30. Ten of my desktops were
    moved to the basement and have remained there, except for three
    which I gave away to deserving young 12-year olds.

    Last month a good friend came across a fine deal on eBay. Six
    top-of-the-line
    T30's (236692U, WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet built-in) were up for auction
    as a package deal, starting bid of $2,500. These were brand new IBM
    machines purchased by a mid-sized company that went out of business.
    They sold to a ground of 6 friends for $3,700 or a little over $600 each.
    These folks wanted dual operating systems and purchased 6 additional
    80-gig hard drives. With the help and guidance of David T. Johnson,
    I pared down the original WinXP Pro to 36 Gigs, partitioned the drive
    adding a 1 gig FAT drive and a 40Gig for Warp 4.52. They wanted OS/2
    for 'Net access but four now tend to use OS/2 70% of the time while one
    finds it difficult to understand.

    If you want a good laptop for OS/2 then you can't go wrong with an
    IBM Thinkpad T30 or T40. Many OS/2 users participating in these
    newsgroups have and use them today. OS/2 installs quite nicely
    and with updated drivers provided by IBM, allow you to take
    advantage of the T30/40 hardware. The modem, unfortunately,
    is designed specifically for Windows but a PCMCIA (3M) modem
    card or an external mini-modem (Multi-Tech) works beautifully.
    And, of course, the built-in Ethernet card allows you broadband.

  4. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 00:01:57 UTC, ☻ The OS/2 Guy <"; OS2Guy"@Gmail.com;> wrote:

> [...]

    > 80-gig hard drives. With the help and guidance of David T. Johnson,
    > I pared down the original WinXP Pro to 36 Gigs, partitioned the drive
    > adding a 1 gig FAT drive and a 40Gig for Warp 4.52. They wanted OS/2
    > for 'Net access but four now tend to use OS/2 70% of the time while one
    > finds it difficult to understand.
    >
    > If you want a good laptop for OS/2 then you can't go wrong with an
    > IBM Thinkpad T30 or T40. Many OS/2 users participating in these
    > newsgroups have and use them today. OS/2 installs quite nicely
    > and with updated drivers provided by IBM, allow you to take
    > advantage of the T30/40 hardware. The modem, unfortunately,
    > is designed specifically for Windows but a PCMCIA (3M) modem
    > card or an external mini-modem (Multi-Tech) works beautifully.
    > And, of course, the built-in Ethernet card allows you broadband.

    Thank you for your reply. All of what you posted is really good news!

    However, I still wonder what your doctorate is in. You didn't say,
    and privacy aside, the use of "Dr." as your own declared title,
    shouldn't that be something for you to be proud of, and certainly
    of public knowledge? You choose to be addressed so, so you
    must have earned it, yes? You must honour yourself to have earned
    it and deserve the recognition.

    Won't you please explain this anomaly that you say has nothing
    to do with OS/2? I cannot quite understand that. Is there some other
    non-OS/2 forum that would be more appropriate where you are proud
    of, or feel more comfortable with, how you earned your doctorate?
    Perhaps where you met the 12 year olds to give away some of your
    old desktops? Do these young folks call you "Dr."?

    I just cannot understand-- for even my least obtuse reason -- why you
    would not value your explanation of why you want to be an honourable
    "Dr." without any a hint as to why. Can you simply please say why?

    Thanks in advance, and thanks for your sincere work with children.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  5. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    Well done you pips, you did a great job at destroying any last support
    for os/2 in news groups, 500,000 point for persistence, no points for
    cross-posting, and no point for supporting os/2, it dead

    can the last person out, please close the door and turn of all the lights

    Adrian

    The OS/2 Guy ☻ wrote:
    > Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:57:35 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >>

    >>> Stop the bull**** ross. There are more people who cannot install ecs
    >>> then
    >>> OS2 users with a problem.

    >> That might be true. I don't know. If it is true then hopefully we'll
    >> hear from some of them. As I made clear I'm only speaking from my own
    >> personal experience. It's not bull****, it's an accurate description
    >> of what I've experienced.

    > Well, here's one. And I have every release of eCS. I have never
    > been able to get eCS to install 'as advertised' on a T30, T40 or
    > T41. IBM advertises each one of those machines as being supported
    > by OS/2 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 does install on each of those machines
    > within 20 minutes.
    >
    > eCS just sits there spinning in the CD Rom then complains it is
    > unable to access the hard drive.
    >
    > Could I make eCS work? Probably but what would be the point?
    > The entire point of creating eCS was to provided a much improved
    > installation program when compared to the installation program IBM
    > provides with OS/2 itself. Serenity lied. They still haven't provided
    > a better installer - at least one that installs 'as advertised' by Serenity
    > themselves.
    >
    > And if it won't install 'as advertised' the user can expect to encounter
    > even larger more difficult problems should they be fortunate enough
    > to get it work.
    >

    >>> You are implying that ecs is somehow a fixed version of OS2. It is
    >>> not. booby has no code, and no fixes. He has done nothing to improve
    >>> OS2, and
    >>> I dare you to list any fix that has ever come from ecs -- minus the one
    >>> IBM made so ecs would install at all.

    >> I've implied nothing.

    > Not true. You have implied eCS is the replacement for OS/2, that
    > eCS is 'newer' and fixes problems previously associated with OS/2.
    >
    >> I've stated categorically that for my particular
    >> configuration, eCS worked out of the box. The versions of OS/2 from
    >> IBM which I tried didn't work. That's ALL I'm saying, I haven't
    >> researched the precise nature of the problem, I just wanted a desktop
    >> that worked. Fast.

    > No one cares about your particular configuration because your
    > particular configuration is not 'of the norm'.

  6. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    A lot of the traffic you see is the result of a self-styled moderator.
    The irony of such a massive increase in traffic as the result of the
    behavior makes me grin when I think about it. The paucity of OS/2
    discussion and help is the result of a dwindling user base.

    adrian suri wrote:
    > Well done you pips, you did a great job at destroying any last support
    > for os/2 in news groups, 500,000 point for persistence, no points for
    > cross-posting, and no point for supporting os/2, it dead
    >

    > can the last person out, please close the door and turn of all the lights
    >
    > Adrian
    >

    > The OS/2 Guy ☻ wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Ross wrote:

    >>> That might be true. I don't know. If it is true then hopefully we'll
    >>> hear from some of them. As I made clear I'm only speaking from my own
    >>> personal experience. It's not bull****, it's an accurate description
    >>> of what I've experienced.

    >> Well, here's one. And I have every release of eCS. I have never
    >> been able to get eCS to install 'as advertised' on a T30, T40 or
    >> T41. IBM advertises each one of those machines as being supported
    >> by OS/2 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 does install on each of those machines
    >> within 20 minutes.
    >>
    >> eCS just sits there spinning in the CD Rom then complains it is
    >> unable to access the hard drive.
    >>
    >> Could I make eCS work? Probably but what would be the point?
    >> The entire point of creating eCS was to provided a much improved
    >> installation program when compared to the installation program IBM
    >> provides with OS/2 itself. Serenity lied. They still haven't provided
    >> a better installer - at least one that installs 'as advertised' by
    >> Serenity
    >> themselves.
    >>
    >> And if it won't install 'as advertised' the user can expect to encounter
    >> even larger more difficult problems should they be fortunate enough
    >> to get it work.

    >>> I've implied nothing.

    >> Not true. You have implied eCS is the replacement for OS/2, that
    >> eCS is 'newer' and fixes problems previously associated with OS/2.
    >>
    >>> I've stated categorically that for my particular
    >>> configuration, eCS worked out of the box. The versions of OS/2 from
    >>> IBM which I tried didn't work. That's ALL I'm saying, I haven't
    >>> researched the precise nature of the problem, I just wanted a desktop
    >>> that worked. Fast.

    >> No one cares about your particular configuration because your
    >> particular configuration is not 'of the norm'.

  7. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    Jason Bowen wrote:
    > A lot of the traffic you see is the result of a self-styled moderator.
    > The irony of such a massive increase in traffic as the result of the
    > behavior makes me grin when I think about it. The paucity of OS/2
    > discussion and help is the result of a dwindling user base.

    The dwindlers should buy a Mac and run OS X. Smooth.

    The eCS Guy

  8. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    adrian suri wrote:
    > Well done you pips, you did a great job at destroying any last support
    > for os/2 in news groups, 500,000 point for persistence, no points for
    > cross-posting, and no point for supporting os/2, it dead

    Support? For what? eCS has no future! Buy a Mac. Run OS X!

    The eCS Guy

  9. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    adrian suri spake unto us, saying:

    >can the last person out, please close the door and turn of all the lights

    Heh. I probably won't be leaving for several years yet. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  10. Re: Thinking about switching to OS/2

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    > adrian suri spake unto us, saying:
    >

    >>can the last person out, please close the door and turn of all the lights

    > Heh. I probably won't be leaving for several years yet. :-)

    Me neither. I'm still working on my PL/I compiler, for which the first
    target is OS/2. After it's working there, I'll port it to Linux, but
    I'll still be "warped" for quite a while.

+ Reply to Thread