Go With Linux, Forget OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on Go With Linux, Forget OS/2 - OS2 ; IBM has closed the door on the world of OS/2. Linux is the best way to go. I was in Macs for awhile but now I've switched back to Linux. Get Linux, you won't be sorry! The eCS Guy...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    IBM has closed the door on the world of OS/2. Linux is the best
    way to go. I was in Macs for awhile but now I've switched back
    to Linux.

    Get Linux, you won't be sorry!

    The eCS Guy

  2. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    The eCS Guy wrote:
    > IBM has closed the door on the world of OS/2. Linux is the best
    > way to go. I was in Macs for awhile but now I've switched back
    > to Linux.
    >
    > Get Linux, you won't be sorry!
    >
    > The eCS Guy

    Take it to the eCS newsgroups Erik. You are out of line here.

  3. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:07:02 UTC, The eCS Guy
    wrote:

    : IBM has closed the door on the world of OS/2. Linux is the best
    : way to go. I was in Macs for awhile but now I've switched back
    : to Linux.
    :
    : Get Linux, you won't be sorry!

    I investigated this, and came to the conclusion that it's a waste of
    time. Linux - I tried three distributions - is bloated, amateurish and
    unstable. Maintenance is a living hell. I tried installing one IDE and
    was told I needed to install 46 (yes, forty six) other packages first.

    To be honest, I think I'd rather use XP (in the sense of "I'd rather
    lose my left arm than my right")

    ian

  4. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:43:46 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:07:02 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    > : IBM has closed the door on the world of OS/2. Linux is the best
    > : way to go. I was in Macs for awhile but now I've switched back
    > : to Linux.
    > :
    > : Get Linux, you won't be sorry!
    >
    > I investigated this, and came to the conclusion that it's a waste of
    > time. Linux - I tried three distributions - is bloated, amateurish and
    > unstable. Maintenance is a living hell.

    I agree. Try FreeBSD - one distribution, very solid, more mature than
    Linux.

    --
    Bob Eager

  5. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    : wrote:
    :
    > I investigated this, and came to the conclusion that it's a waste

    of
    : > time. Linux - I tried three distributions - is bloated, amateurish and
    : > unstable. Maintenance is a living hell.
    :
    : I agree. Try FreeBSD - one distribution, very solid, more mature than
    : Linux.

    That's Plan B. Plan A is to buy reliable hardware and keep eCS going
    as long as I can.

    Ian

  6. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:00:31 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:43:46 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    > : wrote:
    > :
    > > I investigated this, and came to the conclusion that it's a waste

    > of
    > : > time. Linux - I tried three distributions - is bloated, amateurish and
    > : > unstable. Maintenance is a living hell.
    > :
    > : I agree. Try FreeBSD - one distribution, very solid, more mature than
    > : Linux.
    >
    > That's Plan B. Plan A is to buy reliable hardware and keep eCS going
    > as long as I can.

    I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    somewhat crazy. XP is a piece of crap and all the linux window managers
    are copies of the crappy windows or Mac interfaces that are really
    unproductive.
    I think Serenity have a very saleable product. Try to keep a few key
    device providers drivers right up to date and you have an OS that can go
    on and on. The only black hole I see is 64 bit!

    Craig

  7. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    Craig wrote:
    > Ian Johnston wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:00:31 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >>
    >> : On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:43:46 UTC, "Ian Johnston" :
    >> wrote:
    >> :
    >> > I investigated this, and came to the conclusion that it's a waste

    >> of : > time. Linux - I tried three distributions - is bloated,
    >> amateurish and
    >> : > unstable. Maintenance is a living hell.
    >> : : I agree. Try FreeBSD - one distribution, very solid, more mature
    >> than : Linux.
    >>
    >> That's Plan B. Plan A is to buy reliable hardware and keep eCS going
    >> as long as I can.

    > I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    > for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    > not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    > somewhat crazy. XP is a piece of crap and all the linux window managers
    > are copies of the crappy windows or Mac interfaces that are really
    > unproductive.
    > I think Serenity have a very saleable product. Try to keep a few key
    > device providers drivers right up to date and you have an OS that can go
    > on and on. The only black hole I see is 64 bit!
    >
    > Craig

    I disagree with the latter. Serenity's product is a poor one while FreeBSD
    and Linux are much better and getting better. There's no future with
    Serenity's product but there is a long future with Linux.

    The eCS Guy

  8. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    The eCS Guy wrote:
    > Craig wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Johnston wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:00:31 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> : On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:43:46 UTC, "Ian Johnston" :
    >>> wrote:
    >>> :
    >>> of : > time. Linux - I tried three distributions - is bloated,
    >>> amateurish and
    >>> : > unstable. Maintenance is a living hell.
    >>> : : I agree. Try FreeBSD - one distribution, very solid, more mature
    >>> than : Linux.
    >>>
    >>> That's Plan B. Plan A is to buy reliable hardware and keep eCS going
    >>> as long as I can.

    >> I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    >> for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    >> not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    >> somewhat crazy. XP is a piece of crap and all the linux window
    >> managers are copies of the crappy windows or Mac interfaces that are
    >> really unproductive.
    >> I think Serenity have a very saleable product. Try to keep a few key
    >> device providers drivers right up to date and you have an OS that can
    >> go on and on. The only black hole I see is 64 bit!
    >>
    >> Craig

    > I disagree with the latter. Serenity's product is a poor one while FreeBSD
    > and Linux are much better and getting better. There's no future with
    > Serenity's product but there is a long future with Linux.
    >
    > The eCS Guy

    I disagree with the latter. eComStation is a stable,
    productive..powerful platform that leverages your existing IT
    infastructure. Why waste time learning a complex and less powerful
    platform...Stick with eComStation!

    Cheers!

  9. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    eComStation RuleZ wrote:
    > The eCS Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Craig wrote:

    >>> I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with
    >>> SUSE for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most
    >>> people will not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old
    >>> design OS is somewhat crazy. XP is a piece of crap and all the linux
    >>> window managers are copies of the crappy windows or Mac interfaces
    >>> that are really unproductive.
    >>> I think Serenity have a very saleable product. Try to keep a few key
    >>> device providers drivers right up to date and you have an OS that can
    >>> go on and on. The only black hole I see is 64 bit!
    >>>
    >>> Craig

    >> I disagree with the latter. Serenity's product is a poor one while
    >> FreeBSD
    >> and Linux are much better and getting better. There's no future with
    >> Serenity's product but there is a long future with Linux.
    >>
    >> The eCS Guy

    > I disagree with the latter. eComStation is a stable,
    > productive..powerful platform that leverages your existing IT
    > infastructure. Why waste time learning a complex and less powerful
    > platform...Stick with eComStation!
    >
    > Cheers!

    It just goes to show you don't know what you're doing.

    IBM has killed OS/2. IBM owns OS/2. IBM will never
    release the source code of OS/2. eCS never worked.
    eCS *will never* work. eCS *has no* future.

    Linux and FreeBSD have a future.

    The eCS Guy

  10. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:22:28 UTC, Craig
    wrote:

    > I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    > for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    > not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    > somewhat crazy.

    First, I should say that my primary OS is OS/2 and eCS, and will be for
    the foreseeable future. But I am in the OS business, so I use others.

    I don't think any 40 year old OS has been mentioned; would you
    elaborate? The first public UNIX was 1975 or so. FreeBSD looks nothing
    like that system, nothing at all (I have the source code of that first
    UNIX, and of FreeBSD, right here; there is *no* similarity).

    Linux, of course, is much newer. The first stable release was about 11
    years ago, although it was based on Minis (18 years ago). Newer but not
    all that mature.

    So, which 40 year old OS are you referring to?

    --
    Bob Eager

  11. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:22:28 UTC, Craig
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    >>for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    >>not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    >>somewhat crazy.

    > First, I should say that my primary OS is OS/2 and eCS, and will be for
    > the foreseeable future. But I am in the OS business, so I use others.
    >
    > I don't think any 40 year old OS has been mentioned; would you
    > elaborate? The first public UNIX was 1975 or so.

    Make that 1971. I got a bit carried away OK.
    http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#01
    FreeBSD looks nothing
    > like that system, nothing at all (I have the source code of that first
    > UNIX, and of FreeBSD, right here; there is *no* similarity).

    Great. Never looked at FreeBSD, maybe I will

    > Linux, of course, is much newer. The first stable release was about 11
    > years ago, although it was based on Minis (18 years ago). Newer but not
    > all that mature.

    Linux is based on Minix that was a clone of Unix. Linux is essentially
    a clone of Unix designed for the PC.

    > So, which 40 year old OS are you referring to?

    OK so it was 1969. Unix is an old design. Linux is based on a very old
    design. It seems odd to me that the so called "OS to beat all OS's" is
    a clone of a design first launched in 1971.

    Craig

  12. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:24:22 UTC, Craig
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    > > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:22:28 UTC, Craig
    > > wrote:
    > >>I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    > >>for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    > >>not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    > >>somewhat crazy.

    > > I don't think any 40 year old OS has been mentioned; would you
    > > elaborate? The first public UNIX was 1975 or so.

    > Make that 1971. I got a bit carried away OK.
    > http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#01

    Exactly. But the first semi public release was not until 1975, by which
    time it had changed a great deal. And it wasn't available in very many
    places until 1976 (which is when I started using it).

    > > Linux, of course, is much newer. The first stable release was about 11
    > > years ago, although it was based on Minis (18 years ago). Newer but not
    > > all that mature.

    > Linux is based on Minix that was a clone of Unix.

    No, Minix is nothing like UNIX either. It has a similar system call set,
    but then so do lots of systems. The API is the only real similarity
    between any of these systems, and that's shared by lots of others (even
    DOS 2.0 and above).

    The MINIX kernel is based on a message passing paradigm, with multiple
    tasks making up the kernel. The UNIX kernel was not. So it's hardly a
    clone - just a system that shares a somewhat similar API.

    > Linux is essentially
    > a clone of Unix designed for the PC.

    > OK so it was 1969. Unix is an old design. Linux is based on a very old
    > design. It seems odd to me that the so called "OS to beat all OS's" is
    > a clone of a design first launched in 1971.

    You miss the point. It is not a clone. It has a vaguely similar API to a
    system that wasn't really launched until 1975. But the original UNIX API
    bears little resemblance to the LINUX one, and the underlying kernel is
    totally different.

    --
    Bob Eager

  13. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    Craig wrote:
    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:22:28 UTC, Craig
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with
    >>> SUSE for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most
    >>> people will not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old
    >>> design OS is somewhat crazy.

    >> First, I should say that my primary OS is OS/2 and eCS, and will be
    >> for the foreseeable future. But I am in the OS business, so I use others.
    >>
    >> I don't think any 40 year old OS has been mentioned; would you
    >> elaborate? The first public UNIX was 1975 or so.

    > Make that 1971. I got a bit carried away OK.
    > http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#01
    > FreeBSD looks nothing
    >
    >> like that system, nothing at all (I have the source code of that first
    >> UNIX, and of FreeBSD, right here; there is *no* similarity).

    > Great. Never looked at FreeBSD, maybe I will
    >

    >> Linux, of course, is much newer. The first stable release was about 11
    >> years ago, although it was based on Minis (18 years ago). Newer but
    >> not all that mature.

    > Linux is based on Minix that was a clone of Unix. Linux is essentially
    > a clone of Unix designed for the PC.
    >

    >> So, which 40 year old OS are you referring to?
    >>

    > OK so it was 1969. Unix is an old design. Linux is based on a very old
    > design. It seems odd to me that the so called "OS to beat all OS's" is
    > a clone of a design first launched in 1971.
    >
    > Craig

    OK, so in your infinite Operating System wisdom, provide 10 examples of
    design differences between Linux and OS/2 where OS/2 can quantitatively
    be shown as faster(we'll use faster as the "better" metric). Surely you
    aren't going on the argument that old design means worse and flawed are you?

  14. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:31:32 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:22:28 UTC, Craig
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I agree with your Linux comments. I have been messing about with SUSE
    > > for a while now and really its such a techies OS that most people will
    > > not bother. The whole idea of going to a 40+ year old design OS is
    > > somewhat crazy.

    > First, I should say that my primary OS is OS/2 and eCS, and will be for
    > the foreseeable future. But I am in the OS business, so I use others.
    >
    > I don't think any 40 year old OS has been mentioned; would you
    > elaborate? The first public UNIX was 1975 or so. FreeBSD looks nothing
    > like that system, nothing at all (I have the source code of that first
    > UNIX, and of FreeBSD, right here; there is *no* similarity).
    >
    > Linux, of course, is much newer. The first stable release was about 11
    > years ago, although it was based on Minis (18 years ago). Newer but not
    > all that mature.
    >
    > So, which 40 year old OS are you referring to?

    I don't quite go back to Honeywell's 8200/4200, GE's Multics or RCA's
    Spectra 70s, though I did minimally support them.

    If you could find the physical space and could afford the electricity, even
    a PDP11/70 with RT-11, RSTS+ or RSX11-M - or - a VAX with VMS, would
    still do useful work. Perhaps not as fast as current PCs, but useful work
    none the less. The data integrity on these systems was profound for their
    time.

    So my point is, I guess, if you can run it on the hardware, it ain't necessarily
    broke.

    OS/2 is a lot closer in keeping up with new Internet chores than OSes on
    yesteryear's hardware. So with a few enhancements I think OS/2 will still run
    circles around XP and its ilk -- and -- you get to control and own YOUR data!

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  15. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:37:28 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    wrote:

    > If you could find the physical space and could afford the electricity, even
    > a PDP11/70 with RT-11, RSTS+ or RSX11-M - or - a VAX with VMS, would
    > still do useful work.

    I agree. I have two VAXes at home here...running VMS.

    > OS/2 is a lot closer in keeping up with new Internet chores than OSes on
    > yesteryear's hardware. So with a few enhancements I think OS/2 will still run
    > circles around XP and its ilk -- and -- you get to control and own YOUR data!

    Again, I agree. I'm in the OS business, though (teaching etc.) so I like
    to have lots of different ones around. But the one I do my work on, and
    the one that runs the house servers and even the firewall...is OS/2.

    --
    Bob Eager

  16. Re: Go With Linux, Forget OS/2

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:14:08 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:37:28 UTC, "Erick Andrews"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > If you could find the physical space and could afford the electricity, even
    > > a PDP11/70 with RT-11, RSTS+ or RSX11-M - or - a VAX with VMS, would
    > > still do useful work.

    > I agree. I have two VAXes at home here...running VMS.
    >
    > > OS/2 is a lot closer in keeping up with new Internet chores than OSes on
    > > yesteryear's hardware. So with a few enhancements I think OS/2 will still run
    > > circles around XP and its ilk -- and -- you get to control and own YOUR data!

    > Again, I agree. I'm in the OS business, though (teaching etc.) so I like
    > to have lots of different ones around. But the one I do my work on, and
    > the one that runs the house servers and even the firewall...is OS/2.

    Good! Although I haven't room for even a microVAX, between 6 PCs occupying
    two rooms on my LAN, I can do Warp (and Server), FreeBSD, Linux, eCS, PCDOS,
    &c, and NT Server (only if I absolutely must boot to it, once every other blue-moon).

    Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. (Wish I also had a Mac).

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  17. Go With eComStation! OS/2 is the Past...eComStation is the future!

    The eCS Guy wrote:
    > eComStation RuleZ wrote:
    >
    >> The eCS Guy wrote:

    >>> I disagree with the latter. Serenity's product is a poor one while
    >>> FreeBSD
    >>> and Linux are much better and getting better. There's no future with
    >>> Serenity's product but there is a long future with Linux.
    >>>
    >>> The eCS Guy

    >> I disagree with the latter. eComStation is a stable,
    >> productive..powerful platform that leverages your existing IT
    >> infastructure. Why waste time learning a complex and less powerful
    >> platform...Stick with eComStation!
    >>
    >> Cheers!

    > It just goes to show you don't know what you're doing.
    >
    > IBM has killed OS/2. IBM owns OS/2. IBM will never
    > release the source code of OS/2. eCS never worked.
    > eCS *will never* work. eCS *has no* future.
    >
    > Linux and FreeBSD have a future.
    >
    > The eCS Guy

    It just goes to show your statement is incorrect.
    eComStation works...works well and is the Future.
    OS/2 is the past...eComStation is the future!

  18. Re: Go With eComStation! OS/2 is the Past...eComStation is the future!

    Stop your ecs trolling. ecs is DEAD in Dec. 2005.

    In <%8kEe.3397$U%6.1091@fe05.lga>, on 07/22/2005
    at 11:59 PM, eComStation RuleZ said:

    >The eCS Guy wrote:
    >> eComStation RuleZ wrote:

    >>> I disagree with the latter. eComStation is a stable,
    >>> productive..powerful platform that leverages your existing IT
    >>> infastructure. Why waste time learning a complex and less powerful
    >>> platform...Stick with eComStation!
    >>>
    >>> Cheers!

    >> It just goes to show you don't know what you're doing.
    >>
    >> IBM has killed OS/2. IBM owns OS/2. IBM will never
    >> release the source code of OS/2. eCS never worked.
    >> eCS *will never* work. eCS *has no* future.
    >>
    >> Linux and FreeBSD have a future.
    >>
    >> The eCS Guy

    >It just goes to show your statement is incorrect.
    >eComStation works...works well and is the Future.
    >OS/2 is the past...eComStation is the future!

  19. Re: Go With eComStation! OS/2 is the Past...eComStation is the future!

    Eddie LeTard Babbled Thusly:

    >Stop your ecs trolling. ecs is DEAD in Dec. 2005.

    Once again, Eddie is confused, lying and retarded. Only IBM OS/2 is
    dead on that date. SSI OS/2 will live on.

    The eCS Guy

  20. Re: Go With eComStation! OS/2 is the Past...eComStation is the future!

    In <42e25471$0$90591$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>, on 07/23/2005
    at 09:33 AM, The eCS Guy said:

    >Eddie LeTard Babbled Thusly:

    >>Stop your ecs trolling. ecs is DEAD in Dec. 2005.
    >>

    >Once again, Eddie is confused, lying and retarded. Only IBM OS/2 is
    >dead on that date. SSI OS/2 will live on.

    And the contact name at IBM who can verify that is:

    -->I want to write a scoop about why IBM is going to abandon its long time
    enterprise customers like Ford, but allow a piss-ant one man show working
    out of garage in Texas to have the *product the enterprise customers what.

    -->Are your feeling stupid yet? Are all the other kids in your family
    idiots like you or are they normal?

    >The eCS Guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast