Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen - OS2

This is a discussion on Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen - OS2 ; 1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD adjustments can't get rid of. 2. When set to anything above 256x640 256 colors the screen shrinks to about 1/2, i can move the apps around fine ...

  1. Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    adjustments can't get rid of.

    2. When set to anything above 256x640 256 colors the screen shrinks to
    about 1/2, i can move the apps around fine but can't select the shutdown
    X til i get the panel in the center of the screen.

    3. This started happening 2 weeks ago, now is constant.

    I have:
    run chkdsk, ok
    replaced the video card
    replaced the m/b

    to no avail.

    The monitor is fine on my Mac.

    suggestions, comments ?

    r.c.

  2. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    Sir:

    Bugz wrote:
    > 1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    > adjustments can't get rid of.
    >
    > 2. When set to anything above 256x640 256 colors the screen shrinks to
    > about 1/2, i can move the apps around fine but can't select the shutdown
    > X til i get the panel in the center of the screen.
    >
    > 3. This started happening 2 weeks ago, now is constant.
    >
    > I have:
    > run chkdsk, ok
    > replaced the video card
    > replaced the m/b
    >
    > to no avail.
    >
    > The monitor is fine on my Mac.
    >
    > suggestions, comments ?

    Revert back to VGA gradd by running \os2\SETGRADD.CMD from the cmd
    prompt that you get by (alt F1)-F2 from the OS/2 boot blob. Once you
    reboot and get a desktop, install your video driver again.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Bugz wrote:
    >
    >>1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    >>adjustments can't get rid of.
    >>
    >>2. When set to anything above 256x640 256 colors the screen shrinks to
    >>about 1/2, i can move the apps around fine but can't select the shutdown
    >>X til i get the panel in the center of the screen.
    >>
    >>3. This started happening 2 weeks ago, now is constant.
    >>
    >>I have:
    >>run chkdsk, ok
    >>replaced the video card
    >>replaced the m/b
    >>
    >>to no avail.
    >>
    >>The monitor is fine on my Mac.
    >>
    >>suggestions, comments ?

    > Revert back to VGA gradd by running \os2\SETGRADD.CMD from the cmd
    > prompt that you get by (alt F1)-F2 from the OS/2 boot blob. Once you
    > reboot and get a desktop, install your video driver again.

    Well, I tried that, as they say `no joy'. same issue.
    This is the weirdest thing I've seen ever...! 1st pc was a Z80 chipped
    little item purchased in '82...
    by the by I am running ecomstation 1.2, scitech snap 220 drivers.
    also noticed that what looked like interference running down
    whats left of the screen a little.
    am writing this on my G4 and all is fine.

    humm...tis a headscratcher i reckon...

  4. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    Sir:

    Bugz wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Bugz wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    >>> adjustments can't get rid of.
    >>>
    >>> 2. When set to anything above 256x640 256 colors the screen shrinks to
    >>> about 1/2, i can move the apps around fine but can't select the shutdown
    >>> X til i get the panel in the center of the screen.
    >>>
    >>> 3. This started happening 2 weeks ago, now is constant.
    >>>
    >>> I have:
    >>> run chkdsk, ok
    >>> replaced the video card
    >>> replaced the m/b
    >>>
    >>> to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> The monitor is fine on my Mac.
    >>>
    >>> suggestions, comments ?

    >> Revert back to VGA gradd by running \os2\SETGRADD.CMD from the cmd
    >> prompt that you get by (alt F1)-F2 from the OS/2 boot blob. Once you
    >> reboot and get a desktop, install your video driver again.

    > Well, I tried that, as they say `no joy'. same issue.
    > This is the weirdest thing I've seen ever...! 1st pc was a Z80 chipped
    > little item purchased in '82...
    > by the by I am running ecomstation 1.2, scitech snap 220 drivers.
    > also noticed that what looked like interference running down
    > whats left of the screen a little.
    > am writing this on my G4 and all is fine.
    >
    > humm...tis a headscratcher i reckon...

    The problem existed even with VGA gradd driver installed? If so, then
    some thing is fubarred on your system (chkdsk ate one of your files).
    Try an install-over the existing system. Would mean that you would have
    to re-install the latest fixpacks. But after you drag ever thing back
    from the previous desktop, you will not need to re-install all your
    applications. Please back up your data, before starting, say from your
    second maintenance copy of OS/2 (yes, I even have a spare partition
    devoted to a spare copy of OS/2 so that I can use it to recover from
    problems).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:38:42 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Bugz
    wrote:

    > 1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    > adjustments can't get rid of.

    Does this include the BIOS messages? How about if you go into the BIOS setup -
    are all those screens similarly affected? If so then you have something other
    than a software problem...

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  6. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:38:42 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Bugz
    > wrote:
    >

    >>1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    >>adjustments can't get rid of.

    > Does this include the BIOS messages? How about if you go into the BIOS setup -
    > are all those screens similarly affected? If so then you have something other
    > than a software problem...

    the `bowed' issue is with ALL screens but when I get into the desktop
    that is when the screen pretty much goes away
    again, as I type this on my G4 all is ok.

  7. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:16:06 UTC, Bugz wrote:

    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:38:42 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Bugz
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>1. When booting, the screen has a `waist', bowed in that the OSD
    > >>adjustments can't get rid of.

    > > Does this include the BIOS messages? How about if you go into the BIOS setup -
    > > are all those screens similarly affected? If so then you have something other
    > > than a software problem...
    > >

    > the `bowed' issue is with ALL screens but when I get into the desktop
    > that is when the screen pretty much goes away
    > again, as I type this on my G4 all is ok.

    it may be a monitor issue.

    modern monitors store user adjustable settings for bowing & geometry on a per
    resolution basis.

    try adjusting your monitor settings...

  8. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    eric w wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:16:06 UTC, Bugz wrote:
    >

    >>Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >>>Does this include the BIOS messages? How about if you go into the BIOS setup -
    >>>are all those screens similarly affected? If so then you have something other
    >>>than a software problem...
    >>>

    >>the `bowed' issue is with ALL screens but when I get into the desktop
    >>that is when the screen pretty much goes away
    >>again, as I type this on my G4 all is ok.

    > it may be a monitor issue.
    >
    > modern monitors store user adjustable settings for bowing & geometry on a per
    > resolution basis.
    >
    > try adjusting your monitor settings...

    tried that a gazillion times. no luck.
    i took the computer and the `bowed' screen went away, just the 1st issue
    of the display losing 2/3 of the sceen going away at anything above 640x480.

  9. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    Bugz wrote:
    > eric w wrote:

    >>> the `bowed' issue is with ALL screens but when I get into the desktop
    >>> that is when the screen pretty much goes away
    >>> again, as I type this on my G4 all is ok.

    >> it may be a monitor issue.
    >>
    >> modern monitors store user adjustable settings for bowing & geometry
    >> on a per resolution basis.
    >>
    >> try adjusting your monitor settings...

    > tried that a gazillion times. no luck.
    > i took the computer and the `bowed' screen went away, just the 1st issue
    > of the display losing 2/3 of the sceen going away at anything above
    > 640x480.

    to clarify; i took the machine to my friends and his monitor had no
    `bowed' lines on boot.
    whoops, brainfart......

  10. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    video adapter...

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:05:38 UTC, Bugz wrote:

    > Bugz wrote:
    > > eric w wrote:

    > >> it may be a monitor issue.
    > >>
    > >> modern monitors store user adjustable settings for bowing & geometry
    > >> on a per resolution basis.
    > >>
    > >> try adjusting your monitor settings...

    > > tried that a gazillion times. no luck.
    > > i took the computer and the `bowed' screen went away, just the 1st issue
    > > of the display losing 2/3 of the sceen going away at anything above
    > > 640x480.

    > to clarify; i took the machine to my friends and his monitor had no
    > `bowed' lines on boot.
    > whoops, brainfart......

  11. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    eric w wrote:
    > video adapter...
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:05:38 UTC, Bugz wrote:
    >

    >>Bugz wrote:

    >>>tried that a gazillion times. no luck.
    >>>i took the computer and the `bowed' screen went away, just the 1st issue
    >>>of the display losing 2/3 of the sceen going away at anything above
    >>>640x480.

    >>to clarify; i took the machine to my friends and his monitor had no
    >>`bowed' lines on boot.
    >>whoops, brainfart......

    New Card, New Cable, New M/B....
    I have been working on this for a week, still
    haven't a clue...!

  12. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    Sir:

    Bugz wrote:

    >>> to clarify; i took the machine to my friends and his monitor had no
    >>> `bowed' lines on boot.
    >>> whoops, brainfart......

    > New Card, New Cable, New M/B....
    > I have been working on this for a week, still
    > haven't a clue...!

    I saw something like this back thirty years ago when someone put a
    magnet near the video feed. Instead of bowing the video image, the
    video would not synch (FAA terminal-radar technician's monitor).
    Monitor video uses a little different technology now days, but who
    knows? Look around your workspace for something new that is made of
    metal and move it away, like a pizza stick-on magnet (still got it).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  13. Re: Video Screwup, Losing 2/3 of screen

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:

    >>New Card, New Cable, New M/B....
    >>I have been working on this for a week, still
    >>haven't a clue...!
    >>

    > I saw something like this back thirty years ago when someone put a
    > magnet near the video feed. Instead of bowing the video image, the
    > video would not synch (FAA terminal-radar technician's monitor).
    > Monitor video uses a little different technology now days, but who
    > knows? Look around your workspace for something new that is made of
    > metal and move it away, like a pizza stick-on magnet (still got it).

    Well after a week or so of thowing parts at the problem I
    wiped the drive, went back to OS/2 - FP15. No change.
    At last I got a new display, Problem Solved.
    I was thrown off by the fact that the Mac G4 was fine, great machine that!

+ Reply to Thread