Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press! - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press! - OS2 ; Richard W. Budd wrote: > The most interesting part of the article is: "IBM has told its customers > they'll continue to receive support, provided they pay for it - unlike > Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, we might ...

  1. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    Richard W. Budd wrote:
    > The most interesting part of the article is: "IBM has told its customers
    > they'll continue to receive support, provided they pay for it - unlike
    > Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, we might add. That's because IBM tries
    > to stick by Thomas Watson's 1956 edict that the company will honor a
    > promise to its customers "no matter what the cost" - and one global
    > credit card company continues to rely on OS/2."

    This is in reference to the software maintenance contract
    purchased through Passport Advantage. If you have one
    then the December 31, 2005, announcement does not
    affect you.

    > This raises the interesting question of: Will we still be able to buy
    > support through PAO?

    If you act fast. Current PA customers with OS/2 Warp software
    maintenance contract have support and will continue to have
    support as long as they keep their contracts up-to-date. To
    help them do that, IBM will automatically renew them and bill
    the PA customer so the customer does not incur a break in
    service contract.

    > I haven't yet read anything from IBM explicitly saying yes or no. I'm
    > already paying for it (driver and component updates) so what's the diff?
    >
    > This of course raises another interesting question. When I bought my PAO
    > subscription for Warp along to get access to the download sites they
    > also sent me a nice pack of CD's via 2nd day DHL with full blown copies
    > of 4.51, 4.52 and the whole standard kit `n kaboodal of extras -
    > including a set of install floppies for those who might need `em. This
    > makes my 6th registered set of OS/2 - guess I'll have to cobble together
    > another computer ;-) Will my renewal next year - if IBM does it -
    > result in further full copies of OS/2? If it does, isn't that like, um,
    > still selling OS/2?

    The nice pack sent to you were because you previously retain
    an OS/2 license. The nice pack is an update of OS/2 and you
    can order this nice pack at any time under your software
    maintenance contract (or download it online).

    You were wise to purchase a PA software maintenance
    contract. You won't be able to use it's resources under
    eComStation if you have that too (primarily because
    eCS is proprietary and will not allow non-proprietary
    updates into eCS without the use of the maintenance tool
    and that maintenance tool doesn't work on OS/2).

  2. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Richard W. Budd wrote:
    >
    >> The most interesting part of the article is: "IBM has told its
    >> customers they'll continue to receive support, provided they pay
    >> for it - unlike Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, we might add.
    >> That's because IBM tries to stick by Thomas Watson's 1956 edict
    >> that the company will honor a promise to its customers "no matter
    >> what the cost" - and one global credit card company continues to
    >> rely on OS/2."

    > This is in reference to the software maintenance contract purchased
    > through Passport Advantage. If you have one then the December 31,
    > 2005, announcement does not affect you.
    >
    >> This raises the interesting question of: Will we still be able to
    >> buy support through PAO?

    > If you act fast. Current PA customers with OS/2 Warp software
    > maintenance contract have support and will continue to have support
    > as long as they keep their contracts up-to-date. To help them do
    > that, IBM will automatically renew them and bill the PA customer so
    > the customer does not incur a break in service contract.

    Except that the product numbers for those maintence agreements are on
    the list of products being withdrawn on 12/23/05.

    From the IBM announcement:

    > Description Affected parts
    >
    > Effective December 23, 2005, IBM will withdraw from marketing the
    > following parts licensed under the IBM International Program License
    > Agreement:

    > Program Program Part Part
    > name number description number

    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL ANNUAL SW E1C4MLL
    > MAINT RNWL
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL FROM OS/2 D5C4LLL
    > XX TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL LIC+SW D5C4JLL
    > MAINT 12 MO
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL SW MAINT D5C4NLL
    > REINSTATE 12 MO

  3. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Richard W. Budd wrote:
    >
    >> The most interesting part of the article is: "IBM has told its
    >> customers they'll continue to receive support, provided they pay for
    >> it - unlike Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, we might add. That's
    >> because IBM tries to stick by Thomas Watson's 1956 edict that the
    >> company will honor a promise to its customers "no matter what the
    >> cost" - and one global credit card company continues to rely on OS/2."

    > This is in reference to the software maintenance contract
    > purchased through Passport Advantage. If you have one
    > then the December 31, 2005, announcement does not
    > affect you.

    Except for the part of the announcement that withdraws the agreements,
    including the "renewal" product. See below.

    >> This raises the interesting question of: Will we still be able to buy
    >> support through PAO?

    > If you act fast. Current PA customers with OS/2 Warp software
    > maintenance contract have support and will continue to have
    > support as long as they keep their contracts up-to-date. To
    > help them do that, IBM will automatically renew them and bill
    > the PA customer so the customer does not incur a break in
    > service contract.

    Except for the part of the announcement which specifically states that
    these agreements will be withdrawn on 12/23/05

    Go to http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/w...uncements.html

    Click on the US link and see:

    Description
    Affected parts

    Effective December 23, 2005, IBM will withdraw from marketing the
    following parts licensed under the IBM International Program License
    Agreement:

    Program Program Part Part
    name number description number

    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL ANNUAL SW E1C4MLL
    MAINT RNWL
    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL FROM OS/2 D5C4LLL
    XX TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL LIC+SW D5C4JLL
    MAINT 12 MO
    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL SW MAINT D5C4NLL
    REINSTATE 12 MO

  4. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    Bob St.John wrote:

    > Except that the product numbers for those maintence agreements are on
    > the list of products being withdrawn on 12/23/05.
    >
    > From the IBM announcement:
    >>
    >> Description Affected parts
    >>
    >> Effective December 23, 2005, IBM will withdraw from marketing the
    >> following parts licensed under the IBM International Program License
    >> Agreement:

    >> Program Program Part Part
    >> name number description number

    >> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL ANNUAL SW E1C4MLL
    >> MAINT RNWL
    >> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL FROM OS/2 D5C4LLL
    >> XX TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
    >> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL LIC+SW D5C4JLL
    >> MAINT 12 MO
    >> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL SW MAINT D5C4NLL
    >> REINSTATE 12 MO

    Doesn't matter to the licensed OS/2 user, they already have licensed
    copies. IBM is ceasing the sale of OS/2 to new buyers. Licensed
    OS/2 users will continue to receive the same support, drivers, enhancements
    software and other goodies generated at the request of large OS/2
    Enterprise customers - just as they did in the past.

    What *IS* effected are non-OS/2 PA customers and that would be
    eComStation. SSI/MSoT is nothing more than a minor third party
    vendor with an expiring OEM contract who will be unable to sell
    new licenses for OS/2 beyond December 23, 2005. If Serenity
    wants the same updates, enhancements, drivers and other
    goodies passed out to PA OS/2 customers with maintenance
    contracts, you will have to enter into an SE or TOC contract
    and that will be far too expensive. Even if you are able to
    do so you'll have to pass along that cost to your current eCS
    Luser base (who will want/need any updates, drivers, etc.)
    You will also have to beg Chuck McKinnis to continue his
    volunteer work and manage his magic to get the releases
    worked into ecomStation via the proprietary Maintenance
    Tool.

    SSI/MSoT has been a scam from day one. The eCS Luser
    also has to worry about his private customer information being
    released publicly as you have done in the past. Mensys
    has to decide on whether to keep eComStation and their
    association with Serenity, whose owner has access to their
    customer records and has released some of that private
    information in a public forum.

    eCS is a dead product. Any idyit who bought into eCS
    deserves to lose their shirt.

  5. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob St.John wrote:
    >

    >> Except that the product numbers for those maintence agreements are on
    >> the list of products being withdrawn on 12/23/05.
    >>
    >> From the IBM announcement:
    >>

    >>> Description Affected parts
    >>>
    >>> Effective December 23, 2005, IBM will withdraw from marketing the
    >>> following parts licensed under the IBM International Program License
    >>> Agreement:

    >>> Program Program Part Part
    >>> name number description number

    >>> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL ANNUAL SW E1C4MLL
    >>> MAINT RNWL
    >>> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL FROM OS/2 D5C4LLL
    >>> XX TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
    >>> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL LIC+SW D5C4JLL
    >>> MAINT 12 MO
    >>> OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL SW MAINT D5C4NLL
    >>> REINSTATE 12 MO

    > Doesn't matter to the licensed OS/2 user,

    Read more slowly .. they are all there. "annual software maintenance
    renewal", "license + SW maintenance 12 month", and "software maintenance
    reinstatement 12 month" ... seems to cover all three.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  6. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    Bob St.John wrote:

    > Read more slowly .. they are all there. "annual software maintenance
    > renewal", "license + SW maintenance 12 month", and "software maintenance
    > reinstatement 12 month" ... seems to cover all three.

    Quit reading what isn't there. PA OS/2 Warp Convenience
    software maintenance contract holders will continue to
    receive support from IBM through December 31, 2006.

    Your OEM contract with IBM ends on Decmeber 31, 2005.

    eComStation is a scam. Anyone considering buying into
    the eCS product today has to accept the fact that you
    have access to their Mensys customer records and
    have demonstrated the illegal act of divulging private
    information from those records. No credit card, SSN,
    DOB, billing address or other required customer
    information is safe or secure with Serenity or Mensys.

  7. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob St.John wrote:
    >

    >> Read more slowly .. they are all there. "annual software maintenance
    >> renewal", "license + SW maintenance 12 month", and "software
    >> maintenance reinstatement 12 month" ... seems to cover all three.

    > Quit reading what isn't there. PA OS/2 Warp Convenience
    > software maintenance contract holders will continue to
    > receive support from IBM through December 31, 2006.
    >
    > Your OEM contract with IBM ends on Decmeber 31, 2005.

    Uh .. it doesn't. Even if it did .. we would be selling OS/2 longer than
    IBM.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  8. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob St.John wrote:
    >

    >> Read more slowly .. they are all there. "annual software maintenance
    >> renewal", "license + SW maintenance 12 month", and "software
    >> maintenance reinstatement 12 month" ... seems to cover all three.

    > Quit reading what isn't there.

    I posted the IBM announcement text .. it's there.

  9. Re: OS/2 Dead Again makes the Press!

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Richard W. Budd wrote:
    >>
    >>> The most interesting part of the article is: "IBM has told its
    >>> customers they'll continue to receive support, provided they pay for
    >>> it - unlike Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000, we might add. That's
    >>> because IBM tries to stick by Thomas Watson's 1956 edict that the
    >>> company will honor a promise to its customers "no matter what the
    >>> cost" - and one global credit card company continues to rely on OS/2."

    >> This is in reference to the software maintenance contract
    >> purchased through Passport Advantage. If you have one
    >> then the December 31, 2005, announcement does not
    >> affect you.

    > Except for the part of the announcement that withdraws the agreements,
    > including the "renewal" product. See below.
    >

    >>> This raises the interesting question of: Will we still be able to buy
    >>> support through PAO?

    >> If you act fast. Current PA customers with OS/2 Warp software
    >> maintenance contract have support and will continue to have
    >> support as long as they keep their contracts up-to-date. To
    >> help them do that, IBM will automatically renew them and bill
    >> the PA customer so the customer does not incur a break in
    >> service contract.

    > Except for the part of the announcement which specifically states that
    > these agreements will be withdrawn on 12/23/05
    >

    > Go to http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/w...uncements.html
    >
    > Click on the US link and see:
    >

    > Description
    > Affected parts
    >
    > Effective December 23, 2005, IBM will withdraw from marketing the
    > following parts licensed under the IBM International Program License
    > Agreement:
    >
    > Program Program Part Part
    > name number description number
    >
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL ANNUAL SW E1C4MLL
    > MAINT RNWL
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL FROM OS/2 D5C4LLL
    > XX TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL LIC+SW D5C4JLL
    > MAINT 12 MO
    > OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL SW MAINT D5C4NLL
    > REINSTATE 12 MO

    Well, since my specific purchase item was item D5C4NLL I guess it's
    time to start playing with Linux to be ready for whatever really
    happens. 20 years is one hell of a good run for any OS.

    Only time will tell what IBM actually does as they have have released
    similar statements about OS/2 before...

    Cheers,
    --
    Richard W. Budd