Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin - OS2

This is a discussion on Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin - OS2 ; First, what the sticking point is: RealPlayer looks as if it's all nicely installed, but every time I try to even play a local file--the samples that came with RP--it refuses and says it has to download new software (which, ...

  1. Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    First, what the sticking point is: RealPlayer looks as if it's all
    nicely installed, but every time I try to even play a local file--the
    samples that came with RP--it refuses and says it has to download new
    software (which, of course, means the latest 10+ MB piece of garbage).

    I have installed (or, I *think* I have installed--this is all so
    complex) the two codec DLLs that are supposed to stop all that whining
    from RP, those being drv43260.dll and rv403260.dll. I "installed" them
    by putting them in a directory and importing a text file into Regedit2;
    the file, except for the path to the directory in question, is as shown
    in at least two places on the web.

    Here are the grisly details:

    1. Odin installed by:

    a. Created directory C:\ODIN
    b. Unzipped odin32bin-20041012-release-uo.zip in that directory
    c. Added C:\ODIN\system32 to both PATH and LIBPATH
    d. Rebooted
    e. Ran odininst.exe in C:\ODIN\system32
    f. Created directory C:\ODIN\OdinApp
    g. Unzipped odinapp.zip in that directory
    h. Used odin: ran PE Setup.exe in that directory

    That last seemed to run OK, and brought up what I guess is the "app".
    It selected its directory (C:\Program Files\Odin\Odin Test\) on its
    own, so I guess it went where it should. (Yes, we *can* put blank
    spaces in names in OS/2--does that mean it's wise? I do wish people
    wouldn't...)

    I then modified ODIN.INI (in C:\ODIN\system32) by adding:

    [ODINSYSTEM]
    OS2Look=0

    [WinMM]
    DirectAudio=0

    2. RealPlayer installed by:

    a. Created directory E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real
    (that directory fits into my general disk-layout scheme)
    b. Placed rp8-setup.exe in that directory
    c. Ran PE rp8-setup.exe
    d. During install, set E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real as the install
    target
    e. Created directory E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real\Codecs
    f. Placed downloaded copies of drv43260.dll and rv403260.dll there
    (looked into each to verify it was indeed 6.0.7.2389)
    g. Created subdirectories--
    Common
    Msg [actually created by RP install, w/one subdir also made)
    Plugins
    Plugins/ExtResources
    Update
    Visualizations
    --off E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real
    h. Populated each subdir with--besides anything the RP install put
    there--everything in like-named subdir on C: (Odin seems to have
    put some things there, or maybe the RP install did--anyway,
    there were some bits and pieces, such as the RP icon)
    i. Spent much time in Regedit2 verifying (and, usually, changing)
    the paths for everything RP-related to point at the drive E:
    located files and dirs, and to nothing on C:

    I took care to uncheck all RP options during install, and to set all
    its preferences to "don't do this" (especial care with the "Start
    Center" or whatever they call it).

    OK: going to the home dir for RP and executing PR realplay.exe brings
    up a nice-looking RP, which merrily plays its 4-tone "hello". I can
    reach all the preferences settings, and give it a file to load and
    play. But every file I tell it to play, it pauses, then says it needs
    to download new software to play this file, and tries to give me RP
    10.5 or Rhapsody, or whatever their latest mess is. It does the same
    if I ask it to play any of the default connections (CNN, ABC, Movie
    previews). Refusing it permission to load just brings us back to
    Square One. It can be switched away from then back to, closed,
    re-opened, and all that, very cleanly. It just won't play files.

    On an earlier attempt, I had gotten so far as to be able to play the
    sample files, except that they were stunningly awful--barely
    recognizeable as audio or video. I then pulled out my extant sound
    card, which had a Crystal chip and driver--having heard that the driver
    has problems--and put in a card with an Aureal 8820 chip and an Aureal
    OS/2 driver, which I had used earlier on to good results. (It was
    astounding how much work DEinstalling a sound card was).

    Can anyone tell me what I should try next? I just bought a big new
    rig, and the currect one will be passed on to my lady, who is currently
    using a small, hopelessly underpowered Linux box with the Helix Player.

    I should say that RealAudio is very important to us, as we use it for
    the MLB baseball broadcasts (subscription service), and those are very
    big in this household. So I pretty much have too get this OS/2 box
    (Warp 4, FixPack 15) running RP pretty quick now.

    If anyone needs to see the Regedit2 import file used, here it is:

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile8]
    @="E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real\Codecs\drv43260.dll"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile8\Version]
    @="6.0.7.2389"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile9]
    @="E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real\Codecs\rv403260.dll"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile9\Version]
    @="6.0.7.2389"

  2. Re: Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    Sir:11

    email@owlcroft.com wrote:
> [...]
    > big in this household. So I pretty much have too get this OS/2 box
    > (Warp 4, FixPack 15) running RP pretty quick now.
    >
    > If anyone needs to see the Regedit2 import file used, here it is:
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile8]
    > @="E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real\Codecs\drv43260.dll"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile8\Version]
    > @="6.0.7.2389"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile9]
    > @="E:\PROGRAMS\BKGROUND\Real\Codecs\rv403260.dll"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\RealN etworks\Update\6.0\Preferences\Components\RV:6.0\F ile9\Version]

    I don't think I've added those dlls, but my Realplayer does play audio
    files. Got an URL to a Major Leage Baseball station stream that is
    broadcasting now or at some time in the near future?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    don't--you would scarcely want to get one just for a test.

    But it still remains so that I cannot even run one of the little test
    files that came with RP8.

    Before beginning, I read many and many a web page on how to set this
    kludge up (not all of which agree), which is why I was so careful to
    fully document *exactly* what I did, in what order, because I gather
    that it is, at best, a tenuous and delicate balancing act. Why the
    excellent open-source Helix Player under Linux cannot be (or just has
    not been) ported to OS/2 is thoroughly beyond me--as is what can be
    wrong with my present setup.

    Do you see anything in my actions lists that strikes you as different
    from what you did when you installed? I really, really need to get
    this to work.

    Thank you!

  4. Re: Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    Sir:

    email@owlcroft.com wrote:
    > The MLB audio streams are, regrettably, subscription ( = $) only. If
    > you don't already have a subscription--and it sounds like you
    > don't--you would scarcely want to get one just for a test.
    >
    > But it still remains so that I cannot even run one of the little test
    > files that came with RP8.
    >
    > Before beginning, I read many and many a web page on how to set this
    > kludge up (not all of which agree), which is why I was so careful to
    > fully document *exactly* what I did, in what order, because I gather
    > that it is, at best, a tenuous and delicate balancing act. Why the
    > excellent open-source Helix Player under Linux cannot be (or just has
    > not been) ported to OS/2 is thoroughly beyond me--as is what can be
    > wrong with my present setup.
    >
    > Do you see anything in my actions lists that strikes you as different
    > from what you did when you installed? I really, really need to get
    > this to work.
    >
    > Thank you!

    Alas, the only difference that I can see in our install procedures was
    that I installed realplayer in a folder under \Program Files called
    \real and there is additional files in another subfolder called \common
    files; all on the same drive as Odin and those dlls, speaking of which I
    have the first, but not the second. I have grabbed later codexes from
    realplayer 10 (and elsewhere) and added them to \system32. I am not
    sure which they are, but might any of these: vp5vfw.dll, vp6vfw.dll,
    wnvplay1.dll, wnvwinx.dll, aslcodec_dshow.dll, iac25_32.dll, lcmw2.dll,
    lcodccmw2f.dll, tsd32.dll, vivd2.dll, m3jpeg32.dll, wincodeces.zip, &/or
    wmv9vcm.dll.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    I have now even tried reinstalling RP on Drive C, since Windoze junk
    often has a hard-wired prediliction for that Drive (C:\Real). Still no
    luck.

    It really seems likely to be a matter of RP not finding or knowing
    about the updated codecs, since it seems to do everything else more or
    less OK (of course, "everything else", when it won't play files, isn't
    much).

    But do I understand you that you just put the codecs in the \system32
    directory? I had added them to the directory C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Real\Codecs\ as the likeliest spot.

    Does anyone else have any ideas I can try?

  6. Re: Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    Sir:

    email@owlcroft.com wrote:
    > I have now even tried reinstalling RP on Drive C, since Windoze junk
    > often has a hard-wired prediliction for that Drive (C:\Real). Still no
    > luck.
    >
    > It really seems likely to be a matter of RP not finding or knowing
    > about the updated codecs, since it seems to do everything else more or
    > less OK (of course, "everything else", when it won't play files, isn't
    > much).
    >
    > But do I understand you that you just put the codecs in the \system32
    > directory? I had added them to the directory C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Real\Codecs\ as the likeliest spot.
    >
    > Does anyone else have any ideas I can try?

    A real basic question: You are starting realplayer with PE in front, eg
    from a program object that has PE as the executable and realplayer as a
    parameter and the working directory set to where realplayer resides?
    I'd pick \system32 to put the dll as that is one of the first places
    that Windows look for dlls. I believe that using the \common
    files\real\codecs would limit these codexes from being used by
    Warpvision and other programs that use window codecs.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: Running RealPlayer 8 Under Odin

    >A real basic question: You are starting realplayer with PE in front, eg
    >from a program object that has PE as the executable and realplayer as a
    >parameter and the working directory set to where realplayer resides?

    Yes. I also try starting direct from in the directory, via an OS/2 VIO
    window, calling RP as a parm to PE. No difference either way.

    >I'd pick \system32 to put the dll as that is one of the first places
    >that Windows look for dlls. I believe that using the \common
    >files\real\codecs would limit these codexes from being used by
    >Warpvision and other programs that use window codecs.

    Just to be safe, I also put copies from the codec subdir into the
    system32 subdir, so they're in either place should RP look there.
    Still no good.

    Sigh.

+ Reply to Thread