Clone Backup and restore Thinkpad R40 with DFSEE? - OS2

This is a discussion on Clone Backup and restore Thinkpad R40 with DFSEE? - OS2 ; I have used DFSEE 7.0.6 latest to successfully clone entire hard disks from desktop boxes both SCSI and IDE to at least equal or larger drives from the raw image. I can take the cloned hard disk and then pop ...

  1. Clone Backup and restore Thinkpad R40 with DFSEE?

    I have used DFSEE 7.0.6 latest to successfully clone entire hard disks
    from desktop boxes both SCSI and IDE to at least equal or larger drives
    from the raw image. I can take the cloned hard disk and then pop it in
    the box and it boots and runs just fine, provided I do a CDHKDSK and
    have told DFSEE to handle the synchronization like Will Hartzell
    suggests, if it is needed.

    That's for OS/2 and desktops. But what about ThinkPad R-40 or R-51
    units? I'd like to be able to clone an R-40 or R-51 to an external IDE
    hard disk for disaster recovery, regardless of whether it was WIN-XP,
    OS/2 or a combo of WIN-XP and OS/2 as installed. Then, I'd like to be
    able to boot the ThinkPad from DFSEE on CD-ROM or from a DOS floppy as
    needed. At that point, I would like to then just clone the external IDE
    drive back to the ThinkPad internal drive. Press the button and presto,
    back where we were with whatever the clean install on the ThinPad
    was.. But can it be done with, for example a USB - IDE external
    drive? Or would I have to use some kind of docking solution from IBM?

    Can this be done?

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  2. Re: Clone Backup and restore Thinkpad R40 with DFSEE?

    Sir:

    Mike Luther wrote:
    > I have used DFSEE 7.0.6 latest to successfully clone entire hard disks
    > from desktop boxes both SCSI and IDE to at least equal or larger drives
    > from the raw image. I can take the cloned hard disk and then pop it in
    > the box and it boots and runs just fine, provided I do a CDHKDSK and
    > have told DFSEE to handle the synchronization like Will Hartzell
    > suggests, if it is needed.
    >
    > That's for OS/2 and desktops. But what about ThinkPad R-40 or R-51
    > units? I'd like to be able to clone an R-40 or R-51 to an external IDE
    > hard disk for disaster recovery, regardless of whether it was WIN-XP,
    > OS/2 or a combo of WIN-XP and OS/2 as installed. Then, I'd like to be
    > able to boot the ThinkPad from DFSEE on CD-ROM or from a DOS floppy as
    > needed. At that point, I would like to then just clone the external IDE
    > drive back to the ThinkPad internal drive. Press the button and presto,
    > back where we were with whatever the clean install on the ThinPad
    > was.. But can it be done with, for example a USB - IDE external
    > drive? Or would I have to use some kind of docking solution from IBM?
    >

    > Can this be done?

    It depends upon the way you boot into Dfsee, ie. what the host operating
    system see. If the USB drive is visible, then it should be possible to
    clone to the USB drive and back, not that I've tried this. Let us know
    how it goes.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!