New Problem: Can't get WinXP back with OS/2... - OS2

This is a discussion on New Problem: Can't get WinXP back with OS/2... - OS2 ; The new task is to install Windows XP Pro from T30 Restore CDs onto the recently 'cloned' T30 that now runs OS/2 Warp 4.52. I cleared out the C: drive partition and expanded it to 21Gig figuring that amount of ...

  1. New Problem: Can't get WinXP back with OS/2...

    The new task is to install Windows XP Pro from T30
    Restore CDs onto the recently 'cloned' T30 that now
    runs OS/2 Warp 4.52.

    I cleared out the C: drive partition and expanded
    it to 21Gig figuring that amount of space would be
    sufficient.

    From David T. Johnson's guide: "The IBM Windows
    XP recovery disks wanted to fix LBA/CHS problems
    on volumes after OS/2 was installed. I let them do that.
    The Windows XP recovery disks also wanted to change
    the extended OS/2 volume to 'ExtendedX.' I let them
    do that."

    The install tried to unzip the restore image files
    and gave me an error claiming it couldn't do so ending
    with "Abort, Retry, Fail". I aborted and went to the next
    image file but got the same response. I continued until
    the program ran out of files and balked.

    I started over and said yes to the LBA/CHS problems
    but no to the ExtendedX change.

    Same problem.

    I started over and said no to everything and still came
    up with the same problem.

    I changed Restore CDs to my own (the first set belong
    to the new T30 user, the second set belong to me) and
    still came up with the same problem. The Restore CDs
    worked fine earlier, both are brand new, so whatsup?

    The only items I can think of that are different from this
    second Multiboot install are:

    1. The first time I set up a multiboot system using the
    same Restore CDs, I used Partition Magic v8 to carve
    up the original 80Gig hard drive, setting aside 20GIG
    for WinXP. I then installed WinXP Pro first followed
    by OS/2 and then reinstalled WinXP from the same
    Restore CDs a second time, then booted from OS/2
    CD Install to set up the Bootmanager. That procedure
    was based upon David's notes on multiboot install
    using Restore CDs.

    2. I may have used 25Gig for the first WinXP and can't
    quite remember because that machine has been returned
    to the owner.

    Here are some possible resolutions (just off the top of my
    head). Zip up from a DOS boot each of the OS/2 and
    OS/2 related partitions, burn them to CD then wipe out
    the entire 80GIG with Partition Magic v8 and follow the
    original steps used in the first successful Multiboot system.
    That sounds like a lot of work and plenty of time required.
    (I could also try making images using DFSee and burning
    those imz files to CD then restoring them directly once I
    have WinXP installed. I haven't tried that feature of DFSee.)

    Or, maybe the problem is insufficient space required of
    the Restore CDs for WinXP and the IBM hidden restore
    directory? If that sounds plausible I could pare down one
    of the OS/2 app partitions and expand the C: drive partition
    to at least 25Gig. (I may try this first before resorting
    to the first option above.)

    Your advice appreciated! Thanks!

  2. Re: New Problem: Can't get WinXP back with OS/2...

    So nobody's gonna bite and offer a solution?

    Ok. I'll fall back to the original solution David J. Johnson
    provided. It worked. It was hoping to try a new route.

    Helping other OS/2 users helps OS/2.