Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How? - OS2

This is a discussion on Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How? - OS2 ; I now have a 3Com 56K Cellular Modem PC Card with XJack connector and need help getting it to work on a T30 Thinkpad. A previous poster reported experience using the pc card in a Thinkpad adding it will use ...

  1. Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How?

    I now have a 3Com 56K Cellular Modem PC Card with XJack
    connector and need help getting it to work on a T30 Thinkpad.

    A previous poster reported experience using the pc card in
    a Thinkpad adding it will use Com2 automatically. I don't know
    how to set the system up for that. The config.sys reports the
    current modem connection working through Com 1
    (DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (1,3F8,4)) so how do
    I determine what the setting should be for Com 2? I tried
    changing the "1" to "2" and received the error "modem
    could not find/detect dial tone." (Yes, phone line was
    connected.)

    Once the Com 2 settings are determined is there anything
    else I need to change or add to get the modem card to
    connect? i.e., Bios settings?

    (You must be wondering 'how does he connect now?' and
    I do so with an external MultiMedia mini modem connected
    through a serial port and a change in the BIOs. The PCMCIA
    card will be used by a new OS/2 user using a multiboot
    system directly through the PCMCIA slot so I need to make
    sure it works and how to set it up. And, it would be good
    information to know in case my external modem dies someday.)

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How?

    You need to install PC Card Director. It will manage the PCMCIA slots.
    You also need to turn on a serial port for a modem. Other cards don't
    need one.

    In <42bee437_4@news3.prserv.net>, on 06/26/2005
    at 10:27 AM, The OS/2 Guy said:

    >I now have a 3Com 56K Cellular Modem PC Card with XJack
    >connector and need help getting it to work on a T30 Thinkpad.

    >A previous poster reported experience using the pc card in
    >a Thinkpad adding it will use Com2 automatically. I don't know how to
    >set the system up for that. The config.sys reports the current modem
    >connection working through Com 1
    >(DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (1,3F8,4)) so how do
    >I determine what the setting should be for Com 2? I tried
    >changing the "1" to "2" and received the error "modem
    >could not find/detect dial tone." (Yes, phone line was
    >connected.)

    >Once the Com 2 settings are determined is there anything
    >else I need to change or add to get the modem card to
    >connect? i.e., Bios settings?

    >(You must be wondering 'how does he connect now?' and
    >I do so with an external MultiMedia mini modem connected
    >through a serial port and a change in the BIOs. The PCMCIA
    >card will be used by a new OS/2 user using a multiboot
    >system directly through the PCMCIA slot so I need to make
    >sure it works and how to set it up. And, it would be good
    >information to know in case my external modem dies someday.)

    >Thanks!

  3. Re: Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How?

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > You need to install PC Card Director. It will manage the PCMCIA slots.
    > You also need to turn on a serial port for a modem. Other cards don't
    > need one.

    Excellent Ed, a big thank you. I found PC Card Director on Hobbes
    and will check it out. I may need a little more help turning on a
    "serial port for a modem" although I think I did this with the external
    modem (accomplished through the BIOs menu?) once before.

    Will get back to you with my results! You guys are great when
    it comes to good 'ol "OS/2 Tech Support".

  4. Re: Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How?

    In <42bf27b7_4@news3.prserv.net>, on 06/26/2005
    at 03:15 PM, The OS/2 Guy said:

    >letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >> You need to install PC Card Director. It will manage the PCMCIA slots.
    >> You also need to turn on a serial port for a modem. Other cards don't
    >> need one.

    >Excellent Ed, a big thank you. I found PC Card Director on Hobbes

    that would be an old version. Its an IBM Thinkpad program. Look under
    your thinkpad on the IBM Thinkpad site. I think the latest version (8?)
    requires Software Choice. Its on the OS2 device driver page somewhere too.

    and
    >will check it out. I may need a little more help turning on a "serial
    >port for a modem" although I think I did this with the external modem
    >(accomplished through the BIOs menu?) once before.

    Its simple. The Thinkpad Configuration progam also comes from IBM. The
    OS2 version is on the Thinkpad device pages for your Thinkpad. There is
    also a win version, you can use to turn the port on. Make sure you set
    the software using the port and the thinkpad to the same port.

    >Will get back to you with my results! You guys are great when it comes
    >to good 'ol "OS/2 Tech Support".

    eletourneau@verizon.net

  5. Re: Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How?

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > In <42bf27b7_4@news3.prserv.net>, on 06/26/2005
    > at 03:15 PM, The OS/2 Guy said:
    >

    >>letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>You need to install PC Card Director. It will manage the PCMCIA slots.
    >>>You also need to turn on a serial port for a modem. Other cards don't
    >>>need one.

    >>Excellent Ed, a big thank you. I found PC Card Director on Hobbes

    > that would be an old version. Its an IBM Thinkpad program. Look under
    > your thinkpad on the IBM Thinkpad site. I think the latest version (8?)
    > requires Software Choice. Its on the OS2 device driver page somewhere too.

    Again, excellent. I have SWC/PA and know the Thinkpad site well.
    Will get it.

    > and
    >
    >>will check it out. I may need a little more help turning on a "serial
    >>port for a modem" although I think I did this with the external modem
    >>(accomplished through the BIOs menu?) once before.

    > Its simple. The Thinkpad Configuration progam also comes from IBM. The
    > OS2 version is on the Thinkpad device pages for your Thinkpad. There is
    > also a win version, you can use to turn the port on. Make sure you set
    > the software using the port and the thinkpad to the same port.

    Ok. Will get it and follow your guide.

    >>Will get back to you with my results! You guys are great when it comes
    >>to good 'ol "OS/2 Tech Support".

    Thanks again for the quick response. A new problem has cropped
    up and will probably tackle the PC Card modem task in a day or
    two. Will keep you posted.

  6. Re: Back To: PCMCIA Modem - How?

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > You need to install PC Card Director. It will manage the PCMCIA slots.
    > You also need to turn on a serial port for a modem. Other cards don't
    > need one.
    >

    > In <42bee437_4@news3.prserv.net>, on 06/26/2005
    > at 10:27 AM, The OS/2 Guy said:
    >

    >>I now have a 3Com 56K Cellular Modem PC Card with XJack
    >>connector and need help getting it to work on a T30 Thinkpad.

    >>A previous poster reported experience using the pc card in
    >>a Thinkpad adding it will use Com2 automatically. I don't know how to
    >>set the system up for that. The config.sys reports the current modem
    >>connection working through Com 1
    >>(DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (1,3F8,4)) so how do
    >>I determine what the setting should be for Com 2? I tried
    >>changing the "1" to "2" and received the error "modem
    >>could not find/detect dial tone." (Yes, phone line was
    >>connected.)

    >>Once the Com 2 settings are determined is there anything
    >>else I need to change or add to get the modem card to
    >>connect? i.e., Bios settings?

    >>(You must be wondering 'how does he connect now?' and
    >>I do so with an external MultiMedia mini modem connected
    >>through a serial port and a change in the BIOs. The PCMCIA
    >>card will be used by a new OS/2 user using a multiboot
    >>system directly through the PCMCIA slot so I need to make
    >>sure it works and how to set it up. And, it would be good
    >>information to know in case my external modem dies someday.)

    >>Thanks!

    PC Card Director should do all the grunt work for you. No BIOS changes
    needed. Can't say I remember the install step by step but I do remember
    that it has always been painless. I don't remember having to assign any
    com settings to the card - PCCD did it for me for COM2. I plug the card
    in , PCCD queries it and knows what to do.

    Now for the 2 additional PCMCIA slots on the docking station (or it may
    have been just the 2nd PCMCIA modem needing COM3)- different story. Had
    to tell PCCD to look at and setup the modem for COM3 manually (still
    done through the PCCD GUI). Once. After that it remembers it between
    docking and undockings.
    READ the docs with the program. They are actually pretty clear about
    what to do.

    The relavent cfg snippets from my system:

    rem ===== PCMCIA drivers =====
    BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS /P
    BASEDEV=IBM2SS14.SYS
    BASEDEV=AUTODRV2.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\MDOS\VPCMCIA.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\PCMSSDIF.SYS
    rem DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\PCM2SRAM.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\FLSH2MTD.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\PCM2FLSH.SYS
    BASEDEV=PCM2ATA.ADD /S:2 /!DM /NOBEEP
    BASEDEV=OS2PCARD.DMD
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\$ICPMOS2.SYS /G
    rem === End of PCMCIA drivers ===
    rem === Line 107 ===
    rem ===== COM Drivers =====
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\MDOS\VCOM.SYS
    rem === End of COM drivers ===

    Aside from tuning off the SRAM driver (and putting them in a single
    group!) all was added automagically by PCCD.
    Query: Why the com port settings for the external modem? At home I have
    an external US Robotics 56k plugged into the COM1 port and it works fine
    with no cfg tweaks. Just told the dialer to use COM1 and it did...
    Cheers,
    --
    Richard W. Budd
    Synchron Laser Service, Inc.