USB mouse? - OS2

This is a discussion on USB mouse? - OS2 ; I recently got a Logitech MX518 USB mouse, and I'm trying to get it working in OS/2. Here are the USB statements I have in place: BASEDEV=USBD.SYS BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS I have left the old PS/2 ...

  1. USB mouse?

    I recently got a Logitech MX518 USB mouse, and I'm trying to get it
    working in OS/2.

    Here are the USB statements I have in place:

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS

    I have left the old PS/2 mouse plugged in, and it's completely functional.

    With the above drivers loaded, the Logitech mouse can only move up and
    down, not side to side. The buttons and scroll wheel work.

    Any ideas?

    --
    - Mike

    Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

  2. Re: USB mouse?

    Try AMouse (http://www.nbsoftware.de/). It usually works
    much better. It also provides support for up to 7 mouse
    buttons and multiple wheels.

    Heiko

    Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > I recently got a Logitech MX518 USB mouse, and I'm trying to get it
    > working in OS/2.
    >
    > Here are the USB statements I have in place:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    > DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
    >
    > I have left the old PS/2 mouse plugged in, and it's completely functional.
    >
    > With the above drivers loaded, the Logitech mouse can only move up and
    > down, not side to side. The buttons and scroll wheel work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > - Mike
    >
    > Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

  3. Re: USB mouse?

    Sir:

    Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > I recently got a Logitech MX518 USB mouse, and I'm trying to get it
    > working in OS/2.
    >
    > Here are the USB statements I have in place:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    > DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
    >
    > I have left the old PS/2 mouse plugged in, and it's completely
    > functional.
    >
    > With the above drivers loaded, the Logitech mouse can only move up
    > and down, not side to side. The buttons and scroll wheel work.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Get the latest Amouse and be sure to use its USBmouse.sys driver.
    Amouse is not compatible with the latest IBM USBmouse.sys driver (Your
    system will not boot.).

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: USB mouse?

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:20:23 +0200, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

    >Try AMouse (http://www.nbsoftware.de/). It usually works
    >much better. It also provides support for up to 7 mouse
    >buttons and multiple wheels.

    Well, I downloaded the latest AMouse and installed it.

    This what it did to the config.sys:

    DEVICE=G:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
    DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
    DEVICE=G:\AMouse\AMOUSE.SYS

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS

    It didn't touch the USB statements, but replaced USBMOUSE.SYS.

    My system has one EHCI controller and two OHCI controllers.

    Anyway, with the above, the system trapped at startup, blaming CDFS.

    I modified the first USB line to this after reading the docs of AMouse:

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V /REQ:USBOHCD$

    This produced a bizarre message stating that the system did not have
    enough space to activate swapping (there's plenty of space on the
    designated swapper drive). But it did get to the desktop. The USB mouse,
    however, was completely ignored.

    I tried changing it to /REQ:USBEHCD$ as well, just in case I'm mistaken
    about it being in a USB 1.1 port instead of 2.0, but there was no change
    (same odd message about swapping).

    I also tried with and without /DEVICE:1 on the USBMOUSE.SYS statement.

    After copying the old USBMOUSE.SYS back to try the IBM drivers again, I
    get a trap in OS2KRNL. I've now disabled USB completely, and will just
    use the old PS/2 mouse, since it appears to be a lost cause.

    --
    - Mike

    Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

  5. Re: USB mouse?

    > Well, I downloaded the latest AMouse and installed it.
    >
    > This what it did to the config.sys:

    Check that the IBM mouse driver is not loaded.
    REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS

    Try changing the CONFIG.SYS entries as follows:

    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    > Anyway, with the above, the system trapped at startup, blaming CDFS.

    Any chance you have FAT32.IFS loaded together with JFS.IFS and
    a big JFS cache size ?

    > I modified the first USB line to this after reading the docs of AMouse:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V /REQ:USBOHCD$

    Don't specify /REQ: as this sometimes causes undetected devices.
    The driver will figure out the dependencies by itself.
    Just correct the order of loading as shown above.

    > This produced a bizarre message stating that the system did not have
    > enough space to activate swapping (there's plenty of space on the
    > designated swapper drive). But it did get to the desktop. The USB mouse,
    > however, was completely ignored.

    Did you try with unplugged PS/2 mouse ?

    What happens if you boot with USB drivers enabled but no mouse
    plugged in ? Do you still get the error message ?

    I have running a Logitech USB Wheel Mouse with AMouse 2.7b fine here.

    Heiko

  6. Re: USB mouse?

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:05:49 +0200, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

    >> Anyway, with the above, the system trapped at startup, blaming CDFS.

    >Any chance you have FAT32.IFS loaded together with JFS.IFS and
    >a big JFS cache size ?

    If 64MB is big, then yes. I actually had to reduce it down from 128MB a
    while ago to allow UDF to load (it also caused strange problems with
    SNAP).

    I'll knock it down to 32MB, and see if that helps.

    --
    - Mike

    Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

  7. Re: USB mouse?

    > If 64MB is big, then yes. I actually had to reduce it down from 128MB a
    > while ago to allow UDF to load (it also caused strange problems with
    > SNAP).
    >
    > I'll knock it down to 32MB, and see if that helps.

    There is a new FAT32.IFS on Netlabs that has an option to resolve
    this strange dependency. Have a look at the doc. I currently don't
    have access to my OS/2 box, so I can't tell you the parameter.

    With this fix I run JFS with 120MB cache, FAT32 with 2MB, NTFS with 2MB cache,
    UDF, CDFS, CDWFS (RSJ), Tonigy and RAMFS in parallel without any problem.

    Heiko

  8. Re: USB mouse?

    Hi Mike

    Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > I recently got a Logitech MX518 USB mouse, and I'm trying to get it
    > working in OS/2.
    >
    > Here are the USB statements I have in place:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    > DEVICE=G:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS

    Not sure if it makes great difference elsewhere but my system responds
    best to usb devices with this order in the config.sys file:-

    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /V /FLOPPIES:0 /REMOVABLES:5
    REM BASEDEV=USBCDROM.ADD

    No problems with usb devices here, using an M$ USB Trackball as a
    standard 2 button mouse using the IBM drivers.

    Just had a quick look through the \os2\boot\usbbasic.txt file on my
    system and it looks like load order is critical:-

    "Note: After installation from the modified diskettes remove the
    parameter /I13 from
    the statement BASEDEV=USBD.SYS and rearrange the USB device
    driver statements
    in the following order:
    1. USB Host Controller Driver statements like
    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS,
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS,
    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    2. USB Base Driver statement
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    3. Any Other USB Driver statements"

    While the above is in the section about adding usb support to floppies I
    think it is also relevent to hard drives.

    > I have left the old PS/2 mouse plugged in, and it's completely functional.
    >
    > With the above drivers loaded, the Logitech mouse can only move up and
    > down, not side to side. The buttons and scroll wheel work.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Suggest you rearrage your config.sys load order as it may (should,
    according to the docs) make a difference. Certainly loading the usb2
    driver (USBEHCD.SYS) before the usb1 can cause the usb2 driver to not
    work here.

    Never tried having a 2nd mouse plugged in - could that be causing problems?

    Regards

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread