What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads? - OS2

This is a discussion on What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads? - OS2 ; "Tim, can you tell me which PCI modem card works with the T30 or T40 Thinkpad? I'm about to purchase one of these machines and know OS/2 won't dial out using the internal modem. Can you point me to a ...

  1. What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads?

    "Tim, can you tell me which PCI modem card works with
    the T30 or T40 Thinkpad? I'm about to purchase one
    of these machines and know OS/2 won't dial out using
    the internal modem. Can you point me to a name brand?
    Will it need a driver? Where would I download that?"
    writes an OS/2 user.

    I have no idea. I use an external Mini-MultiTech modem.
    Can any other OS/2 user provide some advice? Is there
    a site that may be of assistance?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads?

    Pickup a generic PCMCIA modem that has a UART in it (non-Winmodem). Look
    for it having support for non-M$ OS's like Mac or Linux. You can either
    use it in the laptops slot or since you mention looking for a PCI card -
    in one of the 2 additional PCMCIA slots you get with the full up docking
    station. I have 2 one for the laptop when on the road and one in the
    docking station at work.
    Cheers,
    --
    Richard W. Budd
    Synchron Laser Service, Inc.

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > "Tim, can you tell me which PCI modem card works with
    > the T30 or T40 Thinkpad? I'm about to purchase one
    > of these machines and know OS/2 won't dial out using
    > the internal modem. Can you point me to a name brand?
    > Will it need a driver? Where would I download that?"
    > writes an OS/2 user.
    >
    > I have no idea. I use an external Mini-MultiTech modem.
    > Can any other OS/2 user provide some advice? Is there
    > a site that may be of assistance?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads?

    Richard W. Budd wrote:
    > Pickup a generic PCMCIA modem that has a UART in it (non-Winmodem). Look
    > for it having support for non-M$ OS's like Mac or Linux. You can either
    > use it in the laptops slot or since you mention looking for a PCI card -
    > in one of the 2 additional PCMCIA slots you get with the full up docking
    > station. I have 2 one for the laptop when on the road and one in the
    > docking station at work.
    > Cheers,

    Hey thanks Rich, for the advice and taking the time to respond.

    Any brand recommendations that you can think of? What about
    price? Would it be of help to advise buying a used or cheap
    card off eBay? You don't mention driver needs. Would the
    user simply slide it in and find OS/2 recognizes it off the bat?
    Any special or required config.sys settings?

    And price - what would be too much for such a card? One
    other item - which option is more advantageous, using the
    laptop slot or the docking station PCMCIA slot? (Advantageous
    in faster more stable connection or least taxing on the system
    itself.)

    Thanks again.

  4. Re: What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Richard W. Budd wrote:
    >
    >> Pickup a generic PCMCIA modem that has a UART in it (non-Winmodem).
    >> Look for it having support for non-M$ OS's like Mac or Linux. You can
    >> either use it in the laptops slot or since you mention looking for a
    >> PCI card - in one of the 2 additional PCMCIA slots you get with the
    >> full up docking station. I have 2 one for the laptop when on the road
    >> and one in the docking station at work.
    >> Cheers,

    > Hey thanks Rich, for the advice and taking the time to respond.
    >
    > Any brand recommendations that you can think of? What about
    > price? Would it be of help to advise buying a used or cheap
    > card off eBay? You don't mention driver needs. Would the
    > user simply slide it in and find OS/2 recognizes it off the bat?
    > Any special or required config.sys settings?
    >
    > And price - what would be too much for such a card? One
    > other item - which option is more advantageous, using the
    > laptop slot or the docking station PCMCIA slot? (Advantageous
    > in faster more stable connection or least taxing on the system
    > itself.)
    >
    > Thanks again.

    The laptops have a 3Com Megahertz Model 3CXM756 in it because I love
    their XJack connector for mobile use. Just about any of their 3CX line
    should work - just look for it working with non-M$ OS's. The docking
    stations have a Best Data Model 56SPC with a dongle cord.
    Both are data/fax modems that support all dialup protocols and both were
    under $50 new 2 years ago and probably cheaper now. Being so cheap I'd
    just look around Pricewatch.com and buy one new.

    Drivers are not required, just the init strings for your dialer, if
    you're using AT&T's Global network (like me) just choose the Megahertz
    56k or Generic 56k from settings in their dialer and run it on COM2.
    There are several Generic init strings, just play until one works.
    BTW: A quick Cudos here for AT&T for still supporting OS/2 with their
    dialer! It hasn't been "updated" in ages but hey - it's just a dialer -
    what's to change? They stay current with the modem types & phone numbers
    (monthly) so Right On Dudes.

    PCMCIA in the laptop should automagically pick COM2 for the modem card
    in it. The slot in the docking station will need to be semi-manually set
    to COM3 or 4 and will then again know what to do with the card. Look in
    the PnP for PCMCIA setup program for adding the com ports.

    The docking station is transparent to the system. There is no difference
    which slots are used, all connections are rock solid and no load
    whatsoever to the system - the whole point of a "Real" modem with a UART
    and DSP in it.
    --
    Richard W. Budd
    Synchron Laser Service, Inc.
    USA
    -Sales and general information-
    ph# 248-486-0402
    fax# 248-486-6460
    email: rbudd@attglobal.net
    www.synchronlaser.com

  5. Re: What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > "Tim, can you tell me which PCI modem card works with
    > the T30 or T40 Thinkpad? I'm about to purchase one
    > of these machines and know OS/2 won't dial out using
    > the internal modem. Can you point me to a name brand?
    > Will it need a driver? Where would I download that?"
    > writes an OS/2 user.
    >
    > I have no idea. I use an external Mini-MultiTech modem.
    > Can any other OS/2 user provide some advice? Is there
    > a site that may be of assistance?

    A PCI Modem card will only work in the docking station, not the laptop.
    Get a PCMCIA modem that plugs into one of the PCMCIA slots on the
    laptop. I think just about any PCMCIA modem will work but I have a
    Xircom 56T.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  6. Re: What PCI Modem works with Thinkpads?

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> "Tim, can you tell me which PCI modem card works with
    >> the T30 or T40 Thinkpad? I'm about to purchase one
    >> of these machines and know OS/2 won't dial out using
    >> the internal modem. Can you point me to a name brand?
    >> Will it need a driver? Where would I download that?"
    >> writes an OS/2 user.
    >>
    >> I have no idea. I use an external Mini-MultiTech modem.
    >> Can any other OS/2 user provide some advice? Is there
    >> a site that may be of assistance?
    >>

    > A PCI Modem card will only work in the docking station, not the laptop.
    > Get a PCMCIA modem that plugs into one of the PCMCIA slots on the
    > laptop. I think just about any PCMCIA modem will work but I have a
    > Xircom 56T.

    Advice taken and appreciated. Will pass it along. :-)