Can't load a program. - OS2

This is a discussion on Can't load a program. - OS2 ; Hi Guys, just tried to install a program in the OS/2 partition. Well this is my setting: HD 12GB C: 6MB WinXp C: 6MB OS/2 HPFS (Hidden) In between seats Boot Manager, OK? Having 4132 disk space avail. reported how ...

  1. Can't load a program.

    Hi Guys,

    just tried to install a program in the OS/2 partition.

    Well this is my setting:

    HD 12GB

    C: 6MB WinXp
    C: 6MB OS/2 HPFS (Hidden)

    In between seats Boot Manager, OK?

    Having 4132 disk space avail. reported how come this
    program says I don't have enough space to install.

    Is it a matter of having to install the "Extended Partition" bit?

    Running Warp 4.52 MCP2 FP5

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Can't load a program.

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:05:08 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "Mr.C"
    wrote:

    > Having 4132 disk space avail. reported how come this
    > program says I don't have enough space to install.

    Almost certainly because the buggy installer works out the freespace
    available and uses signed integers which have a maximum value of 2GB-1.
    Your 4132MB freespace would probably either look like a very large
    negative number or a very small positive one. Grab spacehog from hobbes
    and use it to temporarily gobble up the extra space, install and then
    delete the spacehog files to get your space back.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  3. Re: Can't load a program.

    Sir:

    Mr.C wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > just tried to install a program in the OS/2 partition.
    >
    > Well this is my setting:
    >
    > HD 12GB
    >
    > C: 6MB WinXp
    > C: 6MB OS/2 HPFS (Hidden)
    >
    > In between seats Boot Manager, OK?
    >
    > Having 4132 disk space avail. reported how come this
    > program says I don't have enough space to install.
    >
    > Is it a matter of having to install the "Extended Partition" bit?
    >
    > Running Warp 4.52 MCP2 FP5

    Some older programs are using the sixteen-bit interface that OS/2
    provides. What is happening is you got *too* much free space and the
    sixteen-bit counter is wrapping to a low number. Get Spacehog from
    Hobbes archive and let it fill up the extra space over what the old
    program likes. Then it will install.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Can't load a program.

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:34:46 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "William L.
    Hartzell" wrote:

    > Some older programs are using the sixteen-bit interface that OS/2
    > provides. What is happening is you got *too* much free space and the
    > sixteen-bit counter is wrapping to a low number.

    I see your grasp of the technical details is as good as ever!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: Can't load a program.

    Sir:

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:34:46 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "William L.
    > Hartzell" wrote:
    >

    >>Some older programs are using the sixteen-bit interface that OS/2
    >>provides. What is happening is you got *too* much free space and the
    >>sixteen-bit counter is wrapping to a low number.

    > I see your grasp of the technical details is as good as ever!

    Not as good as yours appearently.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: Can't load a program.

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:54:16 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:34:46 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "William L.
    > Hartzell" wrote:
    >
    > > Some older programs are using the sixteen-bit interface that OS/2
    > > provides. What is happening is you got *too* much free space and the
    > > sixteen-bit counter is wrapping to a low number.

    > I see your grasp of the technical details is as good as ever!

    LOL! Indeed it is....for a very small value of 'good'....

+ Reply to Thread