Upgrade microsoft xp to linux - OS2

This is a discussion on Upgrade microsoft xp to linux - OS2 ; I want to upgrade my Microsoft xp operating system to Linux. I need to know the steps that i have to follow....

  1. Upgrade microsoft xp to linux

    I want to upgrade my Microsoft xp operating system to Linux.
    I need to know the steps that i have to follow.

  2. Re: Upgrade microsoft xp to linux

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:03:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, "gala"
    wrote:

    > I want to upgrade my Microsoft xp operating system to Linux.
    > I need to know the steps that i have to follow.

    Step 1) find a newsgroup to post in that deals with one or other of the
    operating systems in question. This one does not.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  3. Re: Upgrade microsoft xp to linux

    gala wrote:
    > I want to upgrade my Microsoft xp operating system to Linux.
    > I need to know the steps that i have to follow.

    IMO, you need to know a lot more, as this is not the right NG for your
    query. Get in the habit of learning more than you think you need - lots
    more. You can't know just what you need to know until you know it, you
    see... :-)

    A few comments and suggestions:

    a) Buy a book about Linux - check the contents pages and index first, to
    see what it tells you about what to do and how to do it. (Books are
    still better than websites IMO. Websites' hyperlinks reflect someone
    else's opinion about what to ask, which is almost never your question;
    and in what order to learn something, which is almost never your order
    of learning something, because you don't/didn't know what the website's
    author knows/knew.)

    b) Find a newsgroup that deals with Linux and ask your question there;
    some people are kind enough to save you doing the research yourself. But
    I personally prefer to the research myself, as that way you know what
    you know and don't know, which means you'll have some idea of what to
    ask or figure out if something goes wrong. But if you just follow a
    recipe you won't have much of clue of what went wrong (and something
    _always_ goes wrong.)

    c) Google on "moving to Linux from Windows"; if that doesn't work try
    "moving from Windows to Linux". BTW, you should always google before you
    post a question on a newsgroup.

    d) Maxximum PC had an article about this process within the last 12
    months - got their website and search for it. (A fee may be charged.)

    e) Although moving from Windows to Linux is an improvement, it's not an
    upgrade in the conventional sense. That is, you can't just bung in a
    Linux CD and install Linux over top of Windows, etc.

    f) Strong Hint: Burn all your must-keep data to CD _before you do
    anything else_.

  4. Re: Upgrade microsoft xp to linux

    1. Reormat hard drive.
    2. Install Linux CD.

    gala wrote:
    > I want to upgrade my Microsoft xp operating system to Linux.
    > I need to know the steps that i have to follow.

+ Reply to Thread