HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW! - OS2

This is a discussion on HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW! - OS2 ; I purchased a *second* HP Color Laser 2550L Printer at Staples today for use under OS/2 on an IBM Thinkpad T41 (I already have one connected to my T30). This laster printer sells for $499 but if you buy it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    I purchased a *second* HP Color Laser 2550L Printer at Staples
    today for use under OS/2 on an IBM Thinkpad T41 (I already
    have one connected to my T30).

    This laster printer sells for $499 but if you buy it this week at
    Staples you get an instant $100 rebate at the cash register
    and another $100 'easy online rebate' at the Staples web
    site by providing bar code numbers that appear on your
    receipt.

    As I say this is my second HP2550L Color Laser. I paid a little
    over $500 for the first one and it works nicely under OS/2
    (Warp 4.52) attached through the parallel port of a Thinkpad.
    Color is excellent and the printer spits out pages quickly.
    The printer comes with 64megs of RAM but you can upgrade
    that to 192megs if you feel the need (More power!!)

    Specs and other info can be found here:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...&lang=en&cc=us

    If that url is too long just go to the HP.com site and insert
    2500L in the search box and it should come up.

    This is not a 'small' printer per se but fits on a desktop
    nicely. I have been using this printer for about eight months
    and have only had to change the toner cartridge once.
    My color copying consists of a lot of photos, brochures,
    newsletters, business cards, even wedding invitations
    and birth announcements and you couldn't tell them
    from the same type of work produced by professional
    printing shops.

    For $300 this is a fine Laser Color printer for OS/2 users.
    The sale at Staples ends May 21st. If they are out of
    stock you can have Staples order it, pay for it today and
    get the two $100 rebates.

    Timothy Sipples was the original person to alert the OS/2
    community to this great offering! Take advantage of it
    if you can!

  2. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    I went to the HP site and it says

    OS/2 (limited functionality)

    can you tell us the functions that the printer
    does not do please?

    Tom

  3. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    The lj30822en.zip driver claims to support the Color LaserJet 2500. Is
    the 2550 very different?

    Perce

    On 05/15/05 08:35 pm tompstnetau@gmail.com tossed the following
    ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    > Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    > I went to the HP site and it says
    >
    > OS/2 (limited functionality)
    >
    > can you tell us the functions that the printer
    > does not do please?

  4. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    In <1116203715.143635.26970@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, on 05/15/2005
    at 05:35 PM, tompstnetau@gmail.com said:

    >Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    >I went to the HP site and it says

    > OS/2 (limited functionality)

    >can you tell us the functions that the printer
    >does not do please?

    If its postscript printer, it has no limitations under OS2 (when using
    Postscript). However, the PCL driver might have limitations. -- just as
    postscript drivers have limitations under windows.

    >Tom

  5. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    I don't know, I was just responding to Tim's post
    as I am interested in a colour laser that will
    work under OS/2

    Tom

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:59:26 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    >The lj30822en.zip driver claims to support the Color LaserJet 2500. Is
    >the 2550 very different?
    >
    >Perce
    >

    >On 05/15/05 08:35 pm tompstnetau@gmail.com tossed the following
    >ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
    >
    >> Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    >> I went to the HP site and it says
    >>
    >> OS/2 (limited functionality)
    >>
    >> can you tell us the functions that the printer
    >> does not do please?

    Cheers,

    Tom [Tom Perrett]
    Proud to be member of Melbournee DPS, first
    port of call re Victorian research - http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dpsoc

  6. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 01:13:34 UTC, "Tom Perrett"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> I don't know, I was just responding to Tim's post
    -> as I am interested in a colour laser that will
    -> work under OS/2
    ->

    Timothy Sipples sent out a recommendation for this printer on the
    VOICE News list a week ago:

    From: Timothy Sipples
    Subject: [VOICENWS] HW: Tim's Warped Bargains: HP 2550L Color LaserJet
    Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 08:53:39 -0300

    "Dear Bargain Hunters,

    The Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 2550L, a color laser printer, is about to
    go
    on sale from May 15 through 21 at Staples (the U.S. office products
    store)
    as part of their anniversary sale. The Staples stock number is
    567293.
    After an instant discount and "easy rebate," the final price will be
    $299.98 plus tax.

    Look for the Staples sales flyer, available at Staples.com, a couple
    days
    before this sale. Be ready to jump on it -- stores may go out of stock
    quickly.

    This price is quite excellent for a color laser printer. This printer
    features both PCL Level 6 and Postscript (for excellent support with
    eComStation and OS/2 Warp), 64 MB of RAM (expandable), and both
    parallel
    and USB ports. Always check the cost of consumables (toner, etc.) when
    buying a printer to make sure it's reasonable for the type of printing
    you
    do.

    I have no affiliation with Staples or HP."

    Also:

    "The $299.98 price is indeed excellent for the HP LaserJet 2550L color
    printer, but I neglected to mention some more ways you can bring that
    price down.

    1. HP has a trade-in program if you have an older LaserJet printer.
    You
    can get another $125 off the price of this printer. Details here:

    http://www.hp.com/united-states/trad...ndex.html?aoid
    =15536

    It may be worth buying an old printer just to get the trade-in!

    2. If you can order this printer from Staples online, you can visit
    http://www.fatcash.com first then click through to Staples in order to
    get
    a 3% rebate. (I'm not sure how fast Staples.com will sell out or if
    this
    sale is available online.)

    3. Alternatively, you can get 12% off by using the Customer
    Appreciation
    Card:

    http://www.staplescentral.com/custom...merappreciatio
    n.htm

    Note that you will likely need to be a member of Staples Business
    Advantage to take advantage of this offer. (If you work for a company
    which can join or which is already a member, you're all set.)

    So your final (pre-tax) price is approximately....

    $299.98 - $ 9.00 ( 3% rebate)
    (OR - $ 36.00 (12% rebate) )
    - $125.00 ( HP rebate)
    = $165.98 (OR $138.98)

    Good luck!"

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  7. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    tompstnetau@gmail.com wrote:
    > Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    > I went to the HP site and it says
    >
    > OS/2 (limited functionality)
    >
    > can you tell us the functions that the printer
    > does not do please?
    >
    > Tom

    I don't know what is limited, if anything, or what HP
    may mean by that. I guess I'd have to use it under
    Windows to see what features it offers that I don't
    find under OS/2. It prints nicely in color - well, let
    me rephrase that. It prints beautifully under OS/2.
    I used to use a Tektronic and found the colors
    were often nothing near what they appeared to
    be onscreen but with this HP they are just as they
    appear and are bright and vibrant.

    It has both PCL Level 6 and Postscript for printing
    and I'm using the printer driver offered by IBM (LaserJet.exe)
    for the HP2500 series of printers. I have not tried
    it with USB but AL du Pisani reports the 2550L
    works fine with the HP Color Laserjet 2500 drivers,
    Postscript and Laserjet. Requires the 10.145 (Sep 23 2004)
    USB and USB Printer drivers to work and should work
    with the entire Color Laserjet 2550 family.

    I might give that a whirl (USB) and see if it offers any
    more functions I don't find under the Laserjet.exe
    driver (free from IBM from the DDPak online here:
    http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod...nd=38.16#38.16).
    I'm not quite sure how to set up for USB printing so
    some guidance would be needed (config entries,
    printer setup if any).

    Replaceable black and color inks can be obtained
    at LaserMonk
    (http://www.lasermonks.com/index.php?...1807_6900_3921)
    During the 8-month period of use I've only had to replace
    the black cartridge once and amazed each time I print
    in color that the machine doesn't blink to let me know it
    is out of cyan, magenta or yellow ink. The individual
    cartridges may seem pricey at $80 but the black prints out
    some 30,000 pages and I've yet to have to buy color ink.
    Thank God inks come in individual replacement cartridges.
    Drum replacement (at LaserMonks) is about $170 and
    if you remember the older LaserJet 4 series it was easy
    to scratch a drum just by an accidental paper jam. I have
    *never* had a paper jam with this color LaserJet so HP
    has worked hard on solving that hardware problem. BTW,
    I remember paying $1500 for those B&W LaserJet 4
    printers so $300 for a color laserjet is *sweet*.

    I could have obtained an additional 5% discount had I
    agreed to sign up with Staples under some special
    club they have but I didn't want the onslaught of junk
    mail and/or spam although I had to give my email
    address and other private info when seeking the
    $100 online rebate. It takes up to four weeks to receive
    this rebate and requires the reporting of a bar code
    printed on your Staples receipt. You do not have to
    send in a receipt or other info.

    Make *sure* you get the instant rebate at the counter.
    The first time they rang it up I asked if I received that
    instant rebate and the clerk checked the receipt and
    said their store system hadn't been programmed for
    it yet. The manager came out and voided the sale
    then did a lot of fancy footwork on a keyboard and
    rang it up a second time - with the $100 instant
    rebate and necessary bar coding needed for the
    online rebate.

    I sold off my two Lase jet 4's long ago or would have
    taken that option to get the additional trade in rebate.

    Even at $500 I thought this color laser was well worth
    it so anything less than that is icing on the cake. To
    get it at $300 ($333 with tax) is a real bargain. It comes
    'ready to go' with all the ink cartridges and the needed
    parallel cable. You will have to purchase a separate
    USB connection cable (I said no thinking I wouldn't be
    using the USB option).

    For those still skeptical you may want to wait for more
    reviews/reports from other OS/2 users. I see HP sells
    the same printer for $399 on their own site and that
    is a fine deal for a good quality color laser jet.

    During the sales pitch the manager said the machine
    worked great under Windows and I said I didn't use
    Windows but IBM's OS/2. He had no idea what that
    was... :-)

  8. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    In article
    madodelNOSPAM@ptd.net "Mark Dodel" writes:

    > [re: Lexmark 2550L bargain]
    >
    > Timothy Sipples sent out a recommendation for this printer on
    > the VOICE News list a week ago:
    >
    > [...]

    Yes, I thought it odd that a thread had started on this subject,
    so long after the news stopped being fresh (courtesy of Timothy
    Sipples, who does a lot of leg work for us -- thanks T).

    BTW/FWIW, a few days ago I checked the UK Staples version of this
    deal... None such, just the normal price: replace dollar sign by
    pound sign. :-(
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  9. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > tompstnetau@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    >> I went to the HP site and it says
    >>
    >> OS/2 (limited functionality)
    >>
    >> can you tell us the functions that the printer
    >> does not do please?
    >>
    >> Tom

    > I don't know what is limited, if anything, or what HP
    > may mean by that. I guess I'd have to use it under
    > Windows to see what features it offers that I don't
    > find under OS/2. It prints nicely in color - well, let
    > me rephrase that. It prints beautifully under OS/2.
    > I used to use a Tektronic and found the colors
    > were often nothing near what they appeared to
    > be onscreen but with this HP they are just as they
    > appear and are bright and vibrant.
    >
    > It has both PCL Level 6 and Postscript for printing
    > and I'm using the printer driver offered by IBM (LaserJet.exe)
    > for the HP2500 series of printers. I have not tried
    > it with USB but AL du Pisani reports the 2550L
    > works fine with the HP Color Laserjet 2500 drivers,
    > Postscript and Laserjet. Requires the 10.145 (Sep 23 2004)
    > USB and USB Printer drivers to work and should work
    > with the entire Color Laserjet 2550 family.

    Thanks for posting. This is the lowest price I've ever seen for a color
    laserjet and the feature set for the 2550L looks good as well.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  10. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > In article
    > madodelNOSPAM@ptd.net "Mark Dodel" writes:
    >
    >>[re: Lexmark 2550L bargain]
    >>
    >>Timothy Sipples sent out a recommendation for this printer on
    >>the VOICE News list a week ago:
    >>
    >>[...]

    > Yes, I thought it odd that a thread had started on this subject,
    > so long after the news stopped being fresh (courtesy of Timothy
    > Sipples, who does a lot of leg work for us -- thanks T).

    Why would you think it 'odd' that a thread had been started
    on this subject since the news associated with Tim's public
    announcement is applicable? The sale began yesterday
    and runs *only through May 21st*. The offering is a very good
    deal for a fine *color* Laserjet printer that runs nicely under
    OS/2. BTW, read my original message for a full acknowledgment
    of Tim Sipples original public report.

    > BTW/FWIW, a few days ago I checked the UK Staples version of this
    > deal... None such, just the normal price: replace dollar sign by
    > pound sign. :-(

    What a shame for you British OS/2 users.

  11. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Stapbles NOW!

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what is limited, if anything, or what HP
    >> may mean by that. I guess I'd have to use it under
    >> Windows to see what features it offers that I don't
    >> find under OS/2. It prints nicely in color - well, let
    >> me rephrase that. It prints beautifully under OS/2.
    >> I used to use a Tektronic and found the colors
    >> were often nothing near what they appeared to
    >> be onscreen but with this HP they are just as they
    >> appear and are bright and vibrant.
    >>
    >> It has both PCL Level 6 and Postscript for printing
    >> and I'm using the printer driver offered by IBM (LaserJet.exe)
    >> for the HP2500 series of printers. I have not tried
    >> it with USB but AL du Pisani reports the 2550L
    >> works fine with the HP Color Laserjet 2500 drivers,
    >> Postscript and Laserjet. Requires the 10.145 (Sep 23 2004)
    >> USB and USB Printer drivers to work and should work
    >> with the entire Color Laserjet 2550 family.

    > Thanks for posting. This is the lowest price I've ever seen for a color
    > laserjet and the feature set for the 2550L looks good as well.

    As always David, you are quite welcome. Let me add some
    additional "good" news. There is an OS/2 2550L driver!

    A bright and dedicated OS/2 user was so impressed
    with the HP 2550L Color Laserjet printer he created an
    OS/2 driver to take full advantage of the features found on
    this printer.

  12. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    It works using PS and PCL drivers. There is an update on the web which
    enhamces the PPD a bit. There is no OS/2 support for ink levels and all
    the odds and ends like that. The print quality is ok except for plain
    black text, which is a bit variable. Mine had trouble with its default
    IP address (built in printe server) when I installed it. And it
    periodically feeds multiple sheets of paper.

    tompstnetau@gmail.com wrote:
    > Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    > I went to the HP site and it says
    >
    > OS/2 (limited functionality)
    >
    > can you tell us the functions that the printer
    > does not do please?
    >
    > Tom

  13. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    Bob McLellan wrote:
    > It works using PS and PCL drivers. There is an update on the web which
    > enhamces the PPD a bit. There is no OS/2 support for ink levels and all
    > the odds and ends like that. The print quality is ok except for plain
    > black text, which is a bit variable. Mine had trouble with its default
    > IP address (built in printe server) when I installed it. And it
    > periodically feeds multiple sheets of paper.

    Believe it or not Bob, another dedicated OS/2 user downloaded
    the Mac driver for the HP2550L, and converted it over for OS/2.
    It reports itself as: HP Color LaserJet 2550 Series Version 30.800.
    Sweet... :-)

  14. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    Bob, have you run any cardstock thru the printer? If so, were there
    any problems and (if you know) what weights of cardstock have you
    tried? How about envelops?

    --
    Will Honea

  15. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    On Monday, in article <1116257443snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>
    ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk "Andrew Stephenson" wrote:

    > BTW/FWIW, a few days ago I checked the UK Staples version of this
    > deal... None such, just the normal price: replace dollar sign by
    > pound sign. :-(

    Which, with the current GBP<->USD exchange rate, is a rip-off that
    deserves reporting to the local Trading Standards department, It's been
    about twenty years since the pound plunged to near parity with the dollar
    (IIRC, it coincided with B-52s pounding Qaddafi, taking off from RAF
    Fairford), and nowadays the Sterling price should be only slightly over
    half the dollar figure.

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu

  16. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    Will Honea wrote:
    > Bob, have you run any cardstock thru the printer? If so, were there
    > any problems and (if you know) what weights of cardstock have you
    > tried? How about envelops?

    I'm not Bob but I can tell you I run cardstock (110lb) through
    the 2550L LaserJet without a problem. I do set it for the
    manual tray and place 10-20 sheets and the machine slides
    it through without a problem. I generate a great many wedding
    invitations, bookmarks (with photos on them then laminated),
    business cards, badges, photos.

    Same with No. 10 envelopes. Manual feed. Place a stock
    of 10-20 blank envelopes in the manual tray and print them
    out. No problem.

  17. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    In article <20050518.1752.59950snz@dsl.co.uk>
    bhk@dsl.co.uk "Brian {Hamilton Kelly}" writes:

    > On Monday, in article <1116257443snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>
    > ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk "Andrew Stephenson" wrote:
    >
    > > BTW/FWIW, a few days ago I checked the UK Staples version of this
    > > deal... None such, just the normal price: replace dollar sign by
    > > pound sign. :-(

    > Which, with the current GBP<->USD exchange rate, is a rip-off that
    > deserves reporting to the local Trading Standards department, It's been
    > about twenty years since the pound plunged to near parity with the dollar
    > (IIRC, it coincided with B-52s pounding Qaddafi, taking off from RAF
    > Fairford), and nowadays the Sterling price should be only slightly over
    > half the dollar figure.

    One is tempted -- but there are liable to be two obstacles to any
    Triumph Of The Little Man : (1) S-UK (hmm, "sucks") may simply
    argue UK price reflects the full, non-discounted, US price; (2) I
    can see myself explaining complexities of international computer
    peripheral pricing to our hard-working and weary TS people.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  18. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:52:18 UTC, "Will Honea" wrote:

    > Bob, have you run any cardstock thru the printer? If so, were there
    > any problems and (if you know) what weights of cardstock have you
    > tried? How about envelops?

    Cardstock is not supported, according to HP:

    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...96-388397.html

    Media weight, recommended: Tray 1: 16 to 47 lb; Tray 2, 3: 16 to 28 lb

    Cardstock is 64lb, IIRC.

    --
    Regards,
    Al S.

  19. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    I have put 225 gsm card stock through the 2550. This is slightly over
    spec but it all seemed to print fine. I haven't put envelopes through. I
    have put a lot of envelopes through my old warhorse, a Lexmark Optra.
    There was a problem with envelopes containing an air bubble as it fed
    through. This was handled by increasing the force of the envelope
    'thumper' in the printer.

    Will Honea wrote:
    > Bob, have you run any cardstock thru the printer? If so, were there
    > any problems and (if you know) what weights of cardstock have you
    > tried? How about envelops?
    >
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 07:33:04 UTC Bob McLellan wrote:
    >

    >>It works using PS and PCL drivers. There is an update on the web which
    >>enhamces the PPD a bit. There is no OS/2 support for ink levels and all
    >>the odds and ends like that. The print quality is ok except for plain
    >>black text, which is a bit variable. Mine had trouble with its default
    >>IP address (built in printe server) when I installed it. And it
    >>periodically feeds multiple sheets of paper.
    >>
    >>tompstnetau@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Very interesting to me, good to have one, BUT,
    >>>I went to the HP site and it says
    >>>
    >>> OS/2 (limited functionality)
    >>>
    >>>can you tell us the functions that the printer
    >>>does not do please?
    >>>
    >>>Tom

  20. Re: HP Color LaserJet 2550L - $299 at Staples NOW!

    Al Savage wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:52:18 UTC, "Will Honea" wrote:
    >

    >>Bob, have you run any cardstock thru the printer? If so, were there
    >>any problems and (if you know) what weights of cardstock have you
    >>tried? How about envelops?

    > Cardstock is not supported, according to HP:
    >
    >>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...96-388397.html

    I believe you are misreading the technical specifications. You are
    looking under "Weights" for the automatic paper tray. Card stock *is*
    supported, according to HP's specifications noted under "Media/Type":

    Media/Type : Paper (plain, letterhead, prepunched, bond, color, rough,
    preprinted, recycled), HP Glossy Media, HP Cover Paper, HP Color
    LaserJet Transparencies, labels, envelopes and *card stock*. To use
    card stock one should use the manual printer tray as the rollers for the
    automatic printer tray are insufficient to roll anything above 47lb paper.

    > Media weight, recommended: Tray 1: 16 to 47 lb; Tray 2, 3: 16 to 28 lb

    This is true. Media weight recommend for the *automatic paper tray*
    should not exceed 47 lb. HP is clearly stating here that the automatic
    paper tray should not be used for paper weighted heavier than 47lb in
    the *automatic paper tray*. OTOH, the manual paper tray will handle
    paper weights larger than 47lb.

    > Cardstock is 64lb, IIRC.

    True. Card stock at 64lb and above should be placed in the manual paper
    tray. The HP2550L will grab and roll 64lb - 110lb card stock through
    the printer effortlessly if placed in the manual paper tray.

    I use 110lb card stock on a near daily basis, filling the manual paper
    tray with as many as 20 sheets of 110lb card stock and the HP2550L has
    never balked, jammed, or coughed at the weight. The color results are
    exceptional, better than anything offered by the inkjet printers (Epson,
    Canon, Lexmark). In fact, the HP2550L's color results put every one of
    those inkjet printers to shame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast