ExtendedX partition support: OS2DASD.DMD or DaniDASD.DMD? - OS2

This is a discussion on ExtendedX partition support: OS2DASD.DMD or DaniDASD.DMD? - OS2 ; Which one is better for a system with OS/2 Warp 4.0 FP15? I don't use (intend to use) LVM, but since I occasionally use DOS-based utils, I do want to have my extended partition marked as type 0Fh. Ref: http://snipurl.com/IBM_type0Fh_support ...

  1. ExtendedX partition support: OS2DASD.DMD or DaniDASD.DMD?

    Which one is better for a system with OS/2 Warp 4.0 FP15? I don't use
    (intend to use) LVM, but since I occasionally use DOS-based utils, I do
    want to have my extended partition marked as type 0Fh.

    Ref:
    http://snipurl.com/IBM_type0Fh_support
    http://snipurl.com/Dani_type0Fh_support

    I tried the IBM driver and got "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard
    drive". Should I bother with it until it works, or should I just switch
    to Daniela Engert's solution?

    Thanks,

    Prog.

  2. Re: ExtendedX partition support: OS2DASD.DMD or DaniDASD.DMD?

    I've tried DaniDASD.DMD and got exactly he same problem. For some
    reason these drivers assign drive letters to FAT32 partitions, thus
    shifting the drive letter of my OS/2 boot partition (drive #1, hpfs).

    Is there any way to make it (DaniDASD.DMD) ignore any previously-unseen
    partitions (or FAT32 partitions at all) so that drive letter shift
    doesn't occur? All I want is the type 0fh partition to be recognized as
    an extended one, nothing more. I don't need any extra functionality,
    especially not stuff that renders my OS/2 partition unbootable.

    I can get around this by manually hiding all my FAT32 partitions on
    drive #0, but I don't see why I should. I mean, why should I hide
    partitions that the OS can't see anyway? After all, I didn't install
    (nor wish to install) the FAT32.IFS driver.

    A schematic diagram of the problem can be found here:
    http://os2.prognathous.mail-central....ns_problem.png

    Thanks,

    Prog.

  3. Re: ExtendedX partition support: OS2DASD.DMD or DaniDASD.DMD?

    prognathous@bluebottle.com wrote:
    > Which one is better for a system with OS/2 Warp 4.0 FP15? I don't use
    > (intend to use) LVM, but since I occasionally use DOS-based utils, I do
    > want to have my extended partition marked as type 0Fh.
    >
    > Ref:
    > http://snipurl.com/IBM_type0Fh_support
    > http://snipurl.com/Dani_type0Fh_support
    >
    > I tried the IBM driver and got "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard
    > drive". Should I bother with it until it works, or should I just switch
    > to Daniela Engert's solution?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Prog.

    Had similar problems with my new box recently. One factor was that my
    FAT32 primary partition had 32k cluster size. Now works fine after
    changing that to 16k and switching to DANIS506.ADD and DANIDASD.DMD, the
    latter with the /MT and /BD switches. Have no experience with extended
    partitions.

  4. Re: ExtendedX partition support: OS2DASD.DMD or DaniDASD.DMD?

    Thanks Kkrister. Your post encouraged me to re-RTFM and indeed I
    managed to find a solution! I edited my config.sys and added the
    following switch to the DaniDASD call:

    BASEDEV=DaniDASD.DMD /MT:Ba,Bb

    This makes the system skip all partitions on the first drive (Ax) and
    only see the two I'm interested in - Ba (second drive, first primary
    partition, FAT, C and Bb (second drive, first logical partition,
    HPFS, D.

    Now I can safely use 0Fh ExtendedX partitions, without any drive letter
    shift. Did I mention I'm a happy camper? :-)

    Prog.

+ Reply to Thread