installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p - OS2

This is a discussion on installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p - OS2 ; tholen@antispam.ham wrote: > David T. Johnson writes: > > >>Mark Dodel wrote: > > >>>>I don't have eCS 1.2, but rather MCP2. > > > >>>I would think MCP2 would boot from the CDROM since eCS 1.2 is based >>>on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

  1. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > David T. Johnson writes:

    >>>I would think MCP2 would boot from the CDROM since eCS 1.2 is based
    >>>on that.

    >>The first release of 'MCP2' had a bug that prevented it from booting on
    >>Pentium systems with more than 512 MB of installed memory. IBM released
    >>a fixpack for the problem and then released a 'Warp 4.52 refresh'
    >>version update that had corrected CDs. The bottom line is that the
    >>original Warp 4.52 CDs will not boot on Pentium systems with more than
    >>512mb of memory the the 'Warp 4.52 Refresh' rerelease that came out a
    >>few months later *will* boot.

    > Consistent with my understanding.
    >

    >>>If you are trying to use an updated floppy, make sure you have a late
    >>>os2krnl(isn't os2krln on the installation diskette? Its been years
    >>>since I used boot floppies. I may be installing Warp4 on a GL300 for
    >>>Warpstock though.) and os2ldr on them. Also in the BIOS make sure you
    >>>have Config->USB->"USB BIOS Support" enabled and that Startup->"1. USB
    >>>FDD"

    >>My T40 will not boot OS/2 on a USB floppy drive when those settings are
    >>set as you describe above. The first and second diskettes boot okay but
    >>the third diskette starts and then gives the 'cannot operate the hard
    >>drive' error. Google suggests that every other T40 owner experienced
    >>the same problem and that there is no fix for it. Since the T42 is very
    >>similar to the T40, I doubt that it will boot OS/2 from floppys either.

    > Did you add USB support to Diskette 1?

    Yes. That didn't fix the problem for me. It looks like OS/2 has a
    problem getting the drive letters during boot from a USB floppy drive
    and can't tell where the hard drive is. You can get a Docking station
    or port replicator for the T42 that will give you a 'legacy' floppy port
    and allow a normal floppy boot. Here's the link to the IBM page that
    sells those:

    http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...goryId=2581897

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  2. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    You're welcome and it is my pleasure. You'll need the
    User ID and Password so be sure to include it in the
    FTP program. Good luck!

  3. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    The OS/2 Guy writes:

    >>> The Warp '4.52 refresh' CDs have the updated files for > 512mb of memory
    >>> on a Pentium system so they should boot directly from the CD-ROM drive.

    >> I don't have the refresh CD.

    > I know you have a license for Warp 4.52. I would be happy to
    > send them to you.

    It's a moot point for the time being. The Lenovo nee IBM Product
    Recovery Discs will not respect the presence of an OS/2 partition.
    It wipes the entire disk to restore the factory contents.

  4. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    The OS/2 Guy writes:

    >> I've read postings in which OS/2 on a ThinkPad T42 has been discussed.
    >> Also, IBM still provides some drivers for OS/2 on the T series.
    >>
    >> But how does one go about installing OS/2 on a ThinkPad T42p? The
    >> machine has more than 512 MB of memory, therefore one cannot install
    >> directly from the CD. One must first make three installation diskettes,
    >> change a couple of files to include fixes for machines with more than
    >> 512 MB of memory, and boot from floppy. But the T42p doesn't have a
    >> floppy drive. Now, it does have a USB floppy drive, however, so by
    >> adding USB support to diskette 1, according the instructions given in
    >> the USB packages, one would think that it would work. But just after
    >> it loads the IBM1S506.ADD driver, OS/2 complains that it can't operate
    >> the hard disk or diskette.
    >>
    >> Right now the only thing I can think of is that the number of BASEDEV
    >> statements is insufficient. There should be one for each type of
    >> controller, but one needs to run the HCIMONIT utility to determine
    >> that information, but that requires OS/2 to already be running, but
    >> one needs to install OS/2 first before HCIMONIT can be run. I know
    >> the machine supports Enhanced Host Controllers, so at a minimum, I
    >> added that one controller statement to CONFIG.SYS, though I expect
    >> that there should be others. But would that explain why the OS/2
    >> installation process can't operate the hard disk or diskette?

    > Dave, I installed OS/2 Warp 4.52 on a T41 with 2GIG of RAM
    > using the Warp 4.52Install CD. If you don't have the latest and
    > have a PA subscription simply go to your PA account and
    > place a request online for the Warp 4.52 CDs. IBM ships them
    > via two day AirBorne express along with ALL the latest updates
    > and releases as well as updated floppy disks should they be
    > of value or needed.
    >
    > I was never able to get eCS v1.1 or the latest v1.2 to install
    > on a T30, T40 or T41 'as advertised' (insert install CD). When
    > requesting assistance the advice was to resort to making
    > updated install floppies and the time/effort was simply not
    > worth it. OTOH, using the latest refresh Warp 4.52 Install CD
    > received from IBM PA worked beautifully and OS/2 was
    > installed within 20 minutes. IBM officially supports OS/2
    > Warp 45.2 on the T30, T40 and T41. I don't know if IBM
    > officially supports OS/2 on the T42.

    The Device Driver matrix for the T42p does list audio, video, and
    network drivers for OS/2.

  5. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Jan Danielsson writes:

    >> I've read postings in which OS/2 on a ThinkPad T42 has been discussed.
    >> Also, IBM still provides some drivers for OS/2 on the T series.
    >>
    >> But how does one go about installing OS/2 on a ThinkPad T42p? The
    >> machine has more than 512 MB of memory, therefore one cannot install
    >> directly from the CD.

    > Have you tried using UpdateCD to create an .. well .. updated cd?

    No, I haven't.

    > I created a bootable Warp4 FP15 installation CD with the newest
    > kernel using UpdateCD. Made it possible to install OS/2 on my, then, new
    > computer.

  6. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy writes:

    >>>I don't have the refresh CD.

    >>I know you have a license for Warp 4.52. I would be happy to
    >>send them to you.

    > It's a moot point for the time being. The Lenovo nee IBM Product
    > Recovery Discs will not respect the presence of an OS/2 partition.
    > It wipes the entire disk to restore the factory contents.

    The T40 Windows XP product recovery disks will either delete the first
    primary partition and install there or they will install into 'free
    space' at the beginning of the hard disk. I installed Warp 4.52 and
    Windows XP on the T40 and use the OS/2 boot manager to select which one
    to boot. I also created a third 500 mb FAT32 partition to share data
    between Windows XP and OS/2. Here's some notes I made when I installed:

    1) The Warp 4.52 CD would boot but LVM could not modify the existing
    Windows XP volume that shipped with the T40 until the 'security' option
    for the recovery hidden volume (4GB) was changed to 'disabled.' There
    is a hidden recovery partition for Windows XP that IBM calls the
    'predesktop area'. Access to that area is controlled in the BIOS as
    'normal' (changes allowed, contents hidden), 'secure' (no changes
    allowed) and 'disabled' (visible and reclaimable). My experience was
    that the Warp 4.52 LVM could not change the hard disk configuration (as
    shipped with Win XP Pro) by adding volumes and such when the 'predesktop
    area' setting was either 'normal' or 'secure' though the total disk size
    that LVM saw was reduced by the size of the hidden area. Once the BIOS
    setting was changed to 'disabled' OS/2 could then boot and the OS/2 LVM
    ignored the hidden volume and overwrote it to be used as normal disk
    space. You can recreate it later if you want it back in order to sell
    the laptop to a Windows user.

    2) Installation of OS/2 proceeded normally with default pre-selected
    hardware settings. I did not install the NIC adapter during the install.

    3) The IBM Windows XP recovery disks wanted to fix LBA/CHS problems on
    volumes after OS/2 was installed. I let them do that. The Windows XP
    recovery disks also wanted to change the extended OS/2 volume to
    'ExtendedX.' I allowed them to do that and OS/2 still booted ok after
    boot manager was re-added with Warp 4.52 CD and boot. (See note 7
    below, though.)

    4) I installed OS/2 first in a logical volume on the 'back' part of the
    disk and then created a volume to install Windows in on the 'front' part
    of the disk. The Windows XP recovery wanted only free space so the
    volume created for Windows by OS/2 had to be deleted to 'free space'
    using the OS/2 LVM. Then I booted the Windows XP recovery CD and
    Windows XP recovery was then happy with that and formatted the 'free
    space' as drive C.

    5) I attempted to create the 500mb exchange partition and boot manager
    partition before exiting to install windows XP. The Windows XP recovery
    software did not like that at all and gave an error about a missing
    'hal.dll' file. What worked was to install os/2 and boot manager first
    and boot to os/2. Then boot the windows xp recovery installation which
    was then happy to delete the boot manager and install itself. Then boot
    from the OS/2 cd-rom and use lvm to create a new compatibility windows
    volume for the windows partition that the windows xp recovery cd
    created. Then delete the os/2 volume that was previously created and
    create a new os/2 volume slightly smaller to make room for the boot
    manager partition and the desired 500 mb exchange partion. Then install
    OS/2 in its new volume along with boot manager. Windows xp was then
    happy to boot with boot manager after this. It sounds difficult but
    installing the default OS/2 install is automated and quick. The Windows
    XP install was much more time consuming because it installs on FAT32
    first and then 'converts' the partition to NTFS which takes more time.
    Also, the Windows files are all in a compressed format which has to be
    expanded from the 3 or 4 CDs and that takes some time.

    6) Once Windows and OS/2 are co-installed with the OS/2 boot manager,
    you can reinstall Windows if necessary without touching the OS/2
    install. The Windows XP recovery CDs will delete the old Windows XP
    partition and they'll deactivate the OS/2 boot manager but they won't
    delete it and you can reactivate it when the Windows install is done by
    booting from the OS/2 CD-ROM and using LVM to set the boot manager back
    to 'startable.'

    7) When I reinstalled Windows with OS/2 already installed, Windows
    recovery asked to change the extended partiction beyond cylinder 1024 to
    extended-x. I didn't allow it to do that.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  7. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    >>> I know you have a license for Warp 4.52. I would be happy to
    >>> send them to you.

    >> It's a moot point for the time being. The Lenovo nee IBM Product
    >> Recovery Discs will not respect the presence of an OS/2 partition.
    >> It wipes the entire disk to restore the factory contents.
    >>

    > The T40 Windows XP product recovery disks will either delete the first
    > primary partition and install there or they will install into 'free
    > space' at the beginning of the hard disk. I installed Warp 4.52 and
    > Windows XP on the T40 and use the OS/2 boot manager to select which one
    > to boot. I also created a third 500 mb FAT32 partition to share data
    > between Windows XP and OS/2. Here's some notes I made when I installed:

    The documentation says that if you run it from the hard drive partition
    it will write to the first primary partition (free space is considered a
    primary partition to it by the way --- I had bootmanager first and then
    removed it before recovery and that is where it tried to restore to... I
    ended up putting boot manager right after the windozexp partition). It
    states that if run from cd it will wipe the entire drive.
    Andy

  8. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 05:56:33 UTC, Andy Willis
    wrote:

    ->
    -> The documentation says that if you run it from the hard drive partition
    -> it will write to the first primary partition (free space is considered a
    -> primary partition to it by the way --- I had bootmanager first and then
    -> removed it before recovery and that is where it tried to restore to... I
    -> ended up putting boot manager right after the windozexp partition). It
    -> states that if run from cd it will wipe the entire drive.
    ->

    This is my experience with the recovery on my T42p. It will only
    restore to the first primary if you run the restore from the
    IBM_SERVICE partition. If you restore from either the factory restore
    CD or from a backup made using the recovery utility, it will wipe the
    drive.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  9. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Andy Willis wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    >>> It's a moot point for the time being. The Lenovo nee IBM Product
    >>> Recovery Discs will not respect the presence of an OS/2 partition.
    >>> It wipes the entire disk to restore the factory contents.
    >>>

    >> The T40 Windows XP product recovery disks will either delete the first
    >> primary partition and install there or they will install into 'free
    >> space' at the beginning of the hard disk. I installed Warp 4.52 and
    >> Windows XP on the T40 and use the OS/2 boot manager to select which
    >> one to boot. I also created a third 500 mb FAT32 partition to share
    >> data between Windows XP and OS/2. Here's some notes I made when I
    >> installed:

    > The documentation says that if you run it from the hard drive partition
    > it will write to the first primary partition (free space is considered a
    > primary partition to it by the way --- I had bootmanager first and then
    > removed it before recovery and that is where it tried to restore to... I
    > ended up putting boot manager right after the windozexp partition). It
    > states that if run from cd it will wipe the entire drive.
    > Andy

    I booted from the T40 recovery and they didn't wipe the entire drive but
    only the first primary partition or free space, depending on which it
    found. If you install the way that I described, you end up with boot
    manager in the 'middle' of the hard drive after the Windows partition,
    similar to what you did above and everything works fine. The boot
    manager doesn't seem to care where its volume gets placed.

    As a side note, you don't really need to have Windows XP installed to
    get full use of the T40. You can do the setup from the BIOS setup
    before you boot and IBM also gives you a textmode program that lets you
    configure hardware options after booting from OS/2 if you prefer. The
    windows thinkpad configuration utility is a gui app so it's easier to
    use, though.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  10. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 May 2005 05:56:33 UTC, Andy Willis
    > wrote:
    >
    > ->
    > -> The documentation says that if you run it from the hard drive partition
    > -> it will write to the first primary partition (free space is considered a
    > -> primary partition to it by the way --- I had bootmanager first and then
    > -> removed it before recovery and that is where it tried to restore to... I
    > -> ended up putting boot manager right after the windozexp partition). It
    > -> states that if run from cd it will wipe the entire drive.
    > ->
    >
    > This is my experience with the recovery on my T42p. It will only
    > restore to the first primary if you run the restore from the
    > IBM_SERVICE partition. If you restore from either the factory restore
    > CD or from a backup made using the recovery utility, it will wipe the
    > drive.

    I don't know about the T42 recovery CD but the T40 recovery CD only
    wipes the first primary partion and only then if it doesn't find any
    'free space.' I installed Windows after installing OS/2 and the OS/2
    volume was unaffected and works perfectly. I expect that the T42
    probably does the same thing so try installing with a 'test' volume
    already created after 'free space' and I think you'll find that the
    'test' volume is not touched.
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  11. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:03:30 UTC, "David T. Johnson"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> I don't know about the T42 recovery CD but the T40 recovery CD only
    -> wipes the first primary partion and only then if it doesn't find any
    -> 'free space.' I installed Windows after installing OS/2 and the OS/2
    -> volume was unaffected and works perfectly. I expect that the T42
    -> probably does the same thing so try installing with a 'test' volume
    -> already created after 'free space' and I think you'll find that the
    -> 'test' volume is not touched.
    ->

    As I have said, and I have done this repeatedly, my experience is
    exactly as Andy stated. Any use of the T42p recovery CD or as I also
    found out also a backup CD made with the recovery utility results in
    the drive being wiped.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  12. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > before you boot and IBM also gives you a textmode program that lets you
    > configure hardware options after booting from OS/2 if you prefer.

    Where does one get this? There are a few hardware settings I would like
    to change from a running eCS1.2 session.

    Ted

  13. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Ted Edwards wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> before you boot and IBM also gives you a textmode program that lets
    >> you configure hardware options after booting from OS/2 if you prefer.

    > Where does one get this? There are a few hardware settings I would like
    > to change from a running eCS1.2 session.
    >
    > Ted

    I haven't used the windows gui tool but would be interested in the OS/2
    program.
    Andy

  14. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Ted Edwards wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> before you boot and IBM also gives you a textmode program that lets
    >> you configure hardware options after booting from OS/2 if you prefer.

    > Where does one get this? There are a few hardware settings I would like
    > to change from a running eCS1.2 session.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-55386

    Get the 'DOS' selection under the 'System Utilities' and 'Configuration.'
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  15. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Andy Willis wrote:
    > Ted Edwards wrote:
    >
    >> David T. Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> before you boot and IBM also gives you a textmode program that lets
    >>> you configure hardware options after booting from OS/2 if you prefer.

    >> Where does one get this? There are a few hardware settings I would
    >> like to change from a running eCS1.2 session.
    >>
    >> Ted

    > I haven't used the windows gui tool but would be interested in the OS/2
    > program.

    It's a DOS app rather than OS/2 and it is only text mode but if you need
    to configure something, it can be used to do it. IBM used to supply
    OS/2 GUI configuration apps for some of the thinkpads but stopped doing
    that before the Txx series started, probably because the number of OS/2
    users didn't warrant the development expense. I had an old 760c that
    had a good OS/2 gui configuration app.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-55386

    Get the 'DOS' selection under the 'System Utilities' and 'Configuration.'

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  16. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:03:30 UTC, "David T. Johnson"
    > wrote:
    >
    > ->
    > -> I don't know about the T42 recovery CD but the T40 recovery CD only
    > -> wipes the first primary partion and only then if it doesn't find any
    > -> 'free space.' I installed Windows after installing OS/2 and the OS/2
    > -> volume was unaffected and works perfectly. I expect that the T42
    > -> probably does the same thing so try installing with a 'test' volume
    > -> already created after 'free space' and I think you'll find that the
    > -> 'test' volume is not touched.
    > ->
    >
    > As I have said, and I have done this repeatedly, my experience is
    > exactly as Andy stated. Any use of the T42p recovery CD or as I also
    > found out also a backup CD made with the recovery utility results in
    > the drive being wiped.

    Okay, I have some questions, then. How many partitions existed on the
    drive that was 'wiped?' Did you try this more than once? Also, were
    those partition(s) created with Windows or LVM? What file system did
    they use? Finally, was there a boot manager partition existing?

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  17. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:04:40 UTC, "David T. Johnson"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> Okay, I have some questions, then. How many partitions existed on the
    -> drive that was 'wiped?'

    >Did you try this more than once?

    I became quite an expert at attempting to restore xp on the T42p. I
    performed the restore multiple times ( once from the backup of XP, and
    several times from the factory restore discs I luckily made when I got
    the machine.) I wanted to know how the recovery utility worked, so I
    did a backup and then tried to do a restore. That's when I found out
    that any restore from a CD/DVD would wipe the enitre drive. The
    stupid thing wiped out the IBM_SERVICE partition. The only way to
    restore this is to have the factory recovery disks, which IBM nolonger
    provides for free. You have to know to make these when you first get
    the machine. IBM finally sent them to me (they must have come by
    way of a slow boat from China, since it took months before I received
    them), but only becase I had convinced the tech that my drive was
    hosed up. I didn't mention eCS or OS/2, since that probably would
    have complicated things further. At that the time I called them, all
    I had on there was the restored backup of xp.

    >Also, were those partition(s) created with Windows or LVM?

    The windoze partition was created by the factory install (first FAT32
    which converts itself to NTFS when you run xp the first time.) Used
    DFSee to shrink the FAT32 to 12GB before the NTFS conversion.
    Otherwiseif you wait until after it is converted to NTFS the smallest
    DFsee could shrink it from the insane 55GB (out of a 60GB drive) that
    it came setup as, to something like 28GB (its been a while, but xp
    kept putting some permanent files high in the disk which were
    unmovable). The HPFS install volume was created with LVM on install,
    while the applications and FAT volumes were cloned from a USB drive
    using DFSee.

    >What file system did they use? Finally, was there a boot manager

    partition existing?

    winxp pro used NTFS( after the conversion from FAT32), eCS and an apps
    volume use HPFS. Not sure if there was also a FAT partition as well
    at the time.

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  18. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:04:40 UTC, "David T. Johnson"
    > wrote:
    >
    > ->
    > -> Okay, I have some questions, then. How many partitions existed on the
    > -> drive that was 'wiped?'
    >

    >>Did you try this more than once?

    > I became quite an expert at attempting to restore xp on the T42p. I
    > performed the restore multiple times ( once from the backup of XP, and
    > several times from the factory restore discs I luckily made when I got
    > the machine.)

    On my T40, there is a backup utility that makes a 'recovery disk' but it
    isn't the same thing as the 'Product Recovery' CDs that IBM provides for
    a fee. The T40 has a set of 4 'Product Recovery CDs' that recreate the
    install that was provided at the factory. One important difference
    between these is that the recovery disk restores the same volume that it
    was backed up from so that might explain why yours seemingly writes over
    the entire hard drive if the backup that created it was done from the
    entire hard drive, as it seems to have been in your case.

    > I wanted to know how the recovery utility worked, so I
    > did a backup and then tried to do a restore. That's when I found out
    > that any restore from a CD/DVD would wipe the enitre drive. The
    > stupid thing wiped out the IBM_SERVICE partition. The only way to
    > restore this is to have the factory recovery disks, which IBM nolonger
    > provides for free.

    They were not free for the T40 either. The "Product Recovery" CDs will
    install on a variable size partition rather than attempting to create a
    mirror of what they were backed up from.

    > You have to know to make these when you first get
    > the machine. IBM finally sent them to me (they must have come by
    > way of a slow boat from China, since it took months before I received
    > them), but only becase I had convinced the tech that my drive was
    > hosed up. I didn't mention eCS or OS/2, since that probably would
    > have complicated things further. At that the time I called them, all
    > I had on there was the restored backup of xp.
    >

    >>Also, were those partition(s) created with Windows or LVM?

    > The windoze partition was created by the factory install (first FAT32
    > which converts itself to NTFS when you run xp the first time.) Used
    > DFSee to shrink the FAT32 to 12GB before the NTFS conversion.

    The 'factory install CDs' don't give you a chance to do a shrink because
    they proceed to do the conversion to NTFS immediately with no convenient
    stopping point.

    > Otherwiseif you wait until after it is converted to NTFS the smallest
    > DFsee could shrink it from the insane 55GB (out of a 60GB drive) that
    > it came setup as, to something like 28GB (its been a while, but xp
    > kept putting some permanent files high in the disk which were
    > unmovable).

    If you use the 'IBM' factory CDs (on the T40 anyway) you can install the
    Windows XP to whatever size partition you want (above some presumed
    minimum) so you wouldn't need to do the DFSEE shrink. The extra 5 GB
    left after the 55 GB install that you had was probably the hidden
    recovery partition. My experience was that even LVM was unable to see
    the recovery partition unless it was disabled in BIOS in which case LVM
    would just overwrite it (preferable IMO). The 'unmovable' files are
    part of the truly sad and pathetic way that NTFS works. I can't imagine
    why Microsoft has apparently been unable to come up with something
    better than FAT32 and NTFS for a Windows file system that's used by
    hundreds of millions of people all over the world.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  19. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    David T. Johnson wrote:

    > If you use the 'IBM' factory CDs (on the T40 anyway) you can install the
    > Windows XP to whatever size partition you want (above some presumed
    > minimum) so you wouldn't need to do the DFSEE shrink. The extra 5 GB
    > left after the 55 GB install that you had was probably the hidden
    > recovery partition. My experience was that even LVM was unable to see
    > the recovery partition unless it was disabled in BIOS in which case LVM
    > would just overwrite it (preferable IMO). The 'unmovable' files are
    > part of the truly sad and pathetic way that NTFS works. I can't imagine
    > why Microsoft has apparently been unable to come up with something
    > better than FAT32 and NTFS for a Windows file system that's used by
    > hundreds of millions of people all over the world.

    Here LVM saw the recovery partition (good thing too because after
    partitioning the rest of the drive the recovery partition didn't work
    until I set it as startable with LVM).
    Andy

  20. Re: installing OS/2 to ThinkPad T42p

    David T. Johnson wrote:
> [...]

    > recovery partition. My experience was that even LVM was unable to see
    > the recovery partition unless it was disabled in BIOS in which case LVM
    > would just overwrite it (preferable IMO). The 'unmovable' files are
    > part of the truly sad and pathetic way that NTFS works. I can't imagine
    > why Microsoft has apparently been unable to come up with something
    > better than FAT32 and NTFS for a Windows file system that's used by
    > hundreds of millions of people all over the world.
    >

    >> The HPFS install volume was created with LVM on install, while the
    >> applications and FAT volumes were cloned from a USB drive using DFSee.
    >>

    >>> What file system did they use? Finally, was there a boot manager

    >> partition existing?
    >>
    >> winxp pro used NTFS( after the conversion from FAT32), eCS and an apps
    >> volume use HPFS. Not sure if there was also a FAT partition as well

    I recently purchased a TP R51, and installed eCS 1v2 via a different
    approach.
    Firstly I resized the XP partition with Partition Magic
    Then ran the install and in LVM setup the boot manager the OS partition
    and 4 other partitions, two for each OS, an Application partition and a
    data partition. As a matter of principal I never allow different
    operating systems to access the other's data.
    When the install resumes and after making the configuration settings
    tick the Management console check box.
    When the Management console comes up, start the editor and edit the
    config.sys and rem out the three lines for power management, if you
    don't the the first reboot in the install will fail.
    After the install, boot into each OS and format the Application and Data
    partitions.
    I left the recovery partition alone so if I sell or give it away I only
    need to run it and it is back to as it was bought.

    ps. remove partition Magic afterwards as it will destroy LVM data in the
    MBR.