Booting from CD, redux - OS2

This is a discussion on Booting from CD, redux - OS2 ; Over the past month or so I've taken advantage of reboots to try to get my system to boot from CD as it used to (in a prior thread, I described my frustration at the system not being able to ...

  1. Booting from CD, redux

    Over the past month or so I've taken advantage of reboots to try to get my
    system to boot from CD as it used to (in a prior thread, I described my
    frustration at the system not being able to boot from CD after adding a CD
    burner.)

    All in all, I've tried all combinations of the hard drive (master on the
    first IDE adapter, as it always was) with the Pioneer CD/DVD and the Sony
    CD burner as master or slave on the second IDE, or slave on the first.
    I've also tried removing altogether the burner and keeping only the DVD on
    either adapter, and vice versa keeping only the CD burner.

    In all circumstances, the drives are seen properly at boot time and are
    functional to read data and music CDs. Whenever I enable "boot from CD" in
    BIOS (Award v. 6.00PG), I see a fleeting option to boot from CD ROM during
    the boot sequence, but immediately it goes away and I am presented with
    the Boot Manager. I've tried hitting various keys when "boot from CD ROM"
    shows up, but that has no effect whatsoever, not even an attempt to wake
    up the drive.

    Shouldn't there be a delay to let the user decide whether to boot from CD
    or not? I don't see anything mentioned in the BIOS setup. But most of all,
    how do I get the system to boot from CD? It used to, OS/2 and eCS were
    installed and re-installed several times on this machine, but none of the
    disks that had worked on this and the prior machine work any longer, nor
    does Knoppix Linux.

    At wit's end...

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  2. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    on 05/09/05 : 10:57 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    >Over the past month or so I've taken advantage of reboots to try to
    >get my system to boot from CD as it used to (in a prior thread, I
    >described my frustration at the system not being able to boot from
    >CD after adding a CD burner.)

    >All in all, I've tried all combinations of the hard drive (master on
    >the first IDE adapter, as it always was) with the Pioneer CD/DVD and
    >the Sony CD burner as master or slave on the second IDE, or slave on
    >the first. I've also tried removing altogether the burner and
    >keeping only the DVD on either adapter, and vice versa keeping only
    >the CD burner.

    >In all circumstances, the drives are seen properly at boot time and
    >are functional to read data and music CDs. Whenever I enable "boot
    >from CD" in BIOS (Award v. 6.00PG), I see a fleeting option to boot
    >from CD ROM during the boot sequence, but immediately it goes away
    >and I am presented with the Boot Manager. I've tried hitting various
    >keys when "boot from CD ROM" shows up, but that has no effect
    >whatsoever, not even an attempt to wake up the drive.

    >Shouldn't there be a delay to let the user decide whether to boot
    >from CD or not? I don't see anything mentioned in the BIOS setup.
    >But most of all, how do I get the system to boot from CD? It used
    >to, OS/2 and eCS were installed and re-installed several times on
    >this machine, but none of the disks that had worked on this and the
    >prior machine work any longer, nor does Knoppix Linux.

    >At wit's end...

    >Pierre

    The Award Bios 6.00 does not have a delay on boot. It checks device 1
    (normally Floppy), then option 2 (CD) and finally option 3 (HD) if the
    previous ones have not got bootable media in place. Are you sure your
    CD is bootable? A little damage to the OS2BOOT.IMG or boot.cat could
    render it unbootable.

    good luck,
    jan
    snapdrgn at cruzio dot com

  3. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    writes:

    > The Award Bios 6.00 does not have a delay on boot. It checks device 1
    > (normally Floppy), then option 2 (CD) and finally option 3 (HD) if the
    > previous ones have not got bootable media in place. Are you sure your

    So there's no action to take on my part? If there's something bootable, it
    should be found and boot should initiate there.

    > CD is bootable? A little damage to the OS2BOOT.IMG or boot.cat could
    > render it unbootable.

    I can't be sure of course, but I've tried 6 different CDs, all of which
    used to be bootable in this machine with this drive (the CD/DVD).

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  4. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    on 05/10/05 : 11:11 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > writes:
    >>
    >> The Award Bios 6.00 does not have a delay on boot. It checks device 1
    >> (normally Floppy), then option 2 (CD) and finally option 3 (HD) if the
    >> previous ones have not got bootable media in place. Are you sure your

    >So there's no action to take on my part? If there's something
    >bootable, it should be found and boot should initiate there.

    I double checked my bios: 1.Floppy, 2.CDROM, 3.HD0, Boot Other:
    disabled I have a CDRW on the second controller as master.

    >> CD is bootable? A little damage to the OS2BOOT.IMG or boot.cat could
    >> render it unbootable.

    >I can't be sure of course, but I've tried 6 different CDs, all of
    >which used to be bootable in this machine with this drive (the
    >CD/DVD).

    Hmmm. Gremlins. There is one issue you might check. There could be a
    timing problem with slow drives not being ready when the bios decides
    to check whats in them. It could be that your CDRW and DVD are of the
    slow variety. Try googling both the web and google groups (all).

    good hunting
    jan

    snapdrgn at cruzio dot com

  5. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    writes:

    > Hmmm. Gremlins. There is one issue you might check. There could be a
    > timing problem with slow drives not being ready when the bios decides
    > to check whats in them. It could be that your CDRW and DVD are of the
    > slow variety. Try googling both the web and google groups (all).

    There could be something there, they do seem to react a but slowly, so
    that when I put a regular CD in and try to open its data, often I get an
    error message on the first try, then I hear it rev up and it works the
    second time. The CD/DVD used to work as a boot drive, though. I did a
    total of 5 OS installations or updates with it on this very box as
    recently as a year ago.

    The CD/DVD drive is a Pioneer DVD-116, and I can't find anything likely on
    Google (in fact there are several instances of people booting from such a
    drive, though mostly various flavors of Unix.)

    I have an internal SCSI CD drive on an old PC, and an external SCSI CD
    burner on the Mac laptop. Would these be more likely to work? I have no
    idea whether SCSI CD drives are bootable in the first place.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  6. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    Hi Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Over the past month or so I've taken advantage of reboots to try to get my
    > system to boot from CD as it used to (in a prior thread, I described my
    > frustration at the system not being able to boot from CD after adding a CD
    > burner.)
    >
    > All in all, I've tried all combinations of the hard drive (master on the
    > first IDE adapter, as it always was) with the Pioneer CD/DVD and the Sony
    > CD burner as master or slave on the second IDE, or slave on the first.
    > I've also tried removing altogether the burner and keeping only the DVD on
    > either adapter, and vice versa keeping only the CD burner.
    >
    > In all circumstances, the drives are seen properly at boot time and are
    > functional to read data and music CDs. Whenever I enable "boot from CD" in
    > BIOS (Award v. 6.00PG), I see a fleeting option to boot from CD ROM during
    > the boot sequence, but immediately it goes away and I am presented with
    > the Boot Manager. I've tried hitting various keys when "boot from CD ROM"
    > shows up, but that has no effect whatsoever, not even an attempt to wake
    > up the drive.
    >
    > Shouldn't there be a delay to let the user decide whether to boot from CD
    > or not? I don't see anything mentioned in the BIOS setup. But most of all,
    > how do I get the system to boot from CD? It used to, OS/2 and eCS were
    > installed and re-installed several times on this machine, but none of the
    > disks that had worked on this and the prior machine work any longer, nor
    > does Knoppix Linux.
    >
    > At wit's end...

    I see in another post that you have a Pioneer DVD-116.

    I have one of these installed in a system here and have no problems
    booting from it.

    When I first got the DVD-116 (a few years back) I could not boot from it
    but am not sure why. I did not worry about it at the time but did need
    to get it to boot at a later date.

    I upgraded both the BIOS of the mainboard and the firmware in the
    DVD-116 and one or both of those helped :-)

    I think the mainboard may not have understood booting from DVD but
    worked when booting from a CD burner and guess that the firmware update
    fixed that.

    I seem to recall that the DVD-116 was fairly slow to "spin up" when I
    first installed it but seems faster since the firmware upgrade which may
    affect booting from the device.

    Hope the above combination works for you.

    Pete

  7. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    Peter Brown writes:

    > I upgraded both the BIOS of the mainboard and the firmware in the
    > DVD-116 and one or both of those helped :-)

    Hmm. I never upgraded a BIOS, and there seem to be problems. The MB
    manufacturer does provide an upgrade:

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...IOS_GA-7DX.htm

    but the file I get is a Windows-32 file, bios_7dx_f8.exe. In the PDF
    manual it says that if the file is .EXE it is a self-extracting archive,
    but it does not run in Win-OS/2 and it is not extracted by Unzip.

    It's supposed to contain both the DOS-based flash utility and the data,
    but I can't get to it.

    I have found the upgrade for the Pioneer DVD-116 as dvd116_122up.zip on a
    couple of Pioneer sites. I'll give that a try when I have a moment. (Can
    it be done from an OS/2 DOS full-screen, or must it be genuine DOS? Do you
    remember how you did it?)

    Thanks,

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  8. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    Sir:

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Peter Brown writes:
    >
    >> I upgraded both the BIOS of the mainboard and the firmware in the
    >> DVD-116 and one or both of those helped :-)

    > Hmm. I never upgraded a BIOS, and there seem to be problems. The MB
    > manufacturer does provide an upgrade:
    >
    > http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...IOS_GA-7DX.htm
    >
    > but the file I get is a Windows-32 file, bios_7dx_f8.exe. In the PDF
    > manual it says that if the file is .EXE it is a self-extracting
    > archive, but it does not run in Win-OS/2 and it is not extracted by
    > Unzip.
    >
    > It's supposed to contain both the DOS-based flash utility and the
    > data, but I can't get to it.
    >
    > I have found the upgrade for the Pioneer DVD-116 as dvd116_122up.zip
    > on a couple of Pioneer sites. I'll give that a try when I have a
    > moment. (Can it be done from an OS/2 DOS full-screen, or must it be
    > genuine DOS? Do you remember how you did it?)

    Odin is your friend. Run PE bios_7dx-f8.exe and it will extract, but
    not in1stall. Look in your temp folder for the resulting files. It may
    be that the installer will be a windows program. In which case you will
    need to find some boot disk for a recent windows version and use them to
    install the bios update.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  9. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    William L. Hartzell writes:

    > Odin is your friend. Run PE bios_7dx-f8.exe and it will extract, but
    > not in1stall. Look in your temp folder for the resulting files. It may
    > be that the installer will be a windows program. In which case you will
    > need to find some boot disk for a recent windows version and use them to
    > install the bios update.

    I never thought of that, thanks. It does indeed extract the files and they
    end up in the working directory, not in TMP. The flash utility is a DOS
    program as advertised, so all should be OK. I'll need to make a DOS boot
    diskette, which is something I haven't done in 10 years, but I do have
    some genuine DOS 6 somewhere.

    Thanks again.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  10. Re: Booting from CD, redux

    Pierre Jelenc schrieb:

    > I have an internal SCSI CD drive on an old PC, and an external SCSI CD
    > burner on the Mac laptop. Would these be more likely to work? I have no
    > idea whether SCSI CD drives are bootable in the first place.
    >
    > Pierre

    This depends only on the BIOS of the SCSI hostadapter and the BIOS of
    the mainboard.

    Hendrik

+ Reply to Thread