8gb limit for booting OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on 8gb limit for booting OS/2? - OS2 ; I have a system set up with both WinX Pro and OS/2 Warp fp15 using boot manager. Right now the WinXP partition (6gb) is first on the drive, followed by a boot manager partition, while OS/2 (2gb) is the first ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    I have a system set up with both WinX Pro and OS/2 Warp fp15 using boot
    manager. Right now the WinXP partition (6gb) is first on the drive,
    followed by a boot manager partition, while OS/2 (2gb) is the first
    logical partition. That's been working.

    I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions (DFSee),
    moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee, took forever),
    created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned the old OS/2
    partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original OS/2 partition
    (DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from diskettes,
    thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function). No luck, FDISK
    doesn't give me the option of adding the new partition to the boot manager.

    The hard drive currently has (not their real names):

    WinXP 6gb (primary)
    Boot Manager (minimum size, primary)
    ******* extended ********
    Old Warp 2gb (hidden logical)
    freespace 2gb
    Cloned Warp 2gb (logical)
    Data1 2gb
    Data2 2gb
    Data3 14gb

    I tried using PQmagic ver 5 and it allowed me to add the new/cloned OS/2
    partition to boot manager... now it shows up in the list of bootable
    partitions on the boot manager screen, but I can't boot it, I just get a
    blank screen if I choose it.

    So, am I up against the old 8gb rule? (ie, that the OS/2 partition must
    be wholly contained in the first 8gb of the hard drive)

    Must I find a way to put OS/2 at the front of another hard drive,
    requiring me to do many more hours of shuffling, or is there some other
    way, or something else that's the problem?

    Thanks,
    Wayne

  2. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:

    > I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions (DFSee),
    > moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee, took forever),
    > created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned the old OS/2
    > partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original OS/2 partition
    > (DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from diskettes,
    > thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    > manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function).

    The LVM function in DFSee adds partitions to BM menu.
    --
    "Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:39 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html

  3. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:48:16 UTC, Felix Miata wrote:

    > > thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    > > manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function).

    > The LVM function in DFSee adds partitions to BM menu.

    Right, but only for LVM enabled systems of course.
    For the pre-LVM systems, you would need to give the
    partition a BM-name using the 'SETNAME' command.

    setname PID sys-name

    For an LVM enabled system, the command:

    lvm PID -m

    Will open the LVM-dialog for partition number 'PID' with
    the checkbox for 'On the BM menu' already checked.

    I will add a specific menu-item for that in 7.03, to make
    it easier to find: "Add partition to BMGR menu"

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  4. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:
    > So, am I up against the old 8gb rule? (ie, that the OS/2 partition must
    > be wholly contained in the first 8gb of the hard drive)

    No. At least not for eCS.

    My daughter's machine is set up with
    C: W2000 15GB pri FAT32
    BMGR 7MB pri
    D: eCS1.2 2GB log HPFS
    E: data 5GB log HPFS data 5GB log HPFS
    F: data 5GB log HPFS
    G: data 10GB log FAT32 read/write from both OSs
    Repr 1GB pri FAT32 repair partition

    The repair partition will be dumped and the space added to G: when I get
    to it.

    She has always used 'doze. I hope to convert her. :-)

    Ted

  5. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Ted Edwards wrote:
    > WayneC wrote:
    >
    >> So, am I up against the old 8gb rule? (ie, that the OS/2 partition
    >> must be wholly contained in the first 8gb of the hard drive)

    > No. At least not for eCS.
    >
    > My daughter's machine is set up with
    > C: W2000 15GB pri FAT32
    > BMGR 7MB pri
    > D: eCS1.2 2GB log HPFS
    > E: data 5GB log HPFS data 5GB log HPFS
    > F: data 5GB log HPFS
    > G: data 10GB log FAT32 read/write from both OSs
    > Repr 1GB pri FAT32 repair partition
    >
    > The repair partition will be dumped and the space added to G: when I get
    > to it.
    >
    > She has always used 'doze. I hope to convert her. :-)
    >
    > Ted

    I guess everyone answering so far is an eCS user. Can anyone tell me
    what the problem is, considering I'm an OS/2 Warp fp15 user, as stated
    in my original post? I'm not sure I'd want to complicate things by
    trying to implement (and learn) eCS in the middle of it.

    Jan, you seem to be trying to tell me something... are you referring to
    commands issued with/by DFSee? Will they work with DFSee 6.17? If so, I
    assume "PID" needs to be changed to the partition ID used by DFSee, but
    is "sys-name" a constant, or what?

  6. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 03:45:48 UTC, WayneC wrote:

    > I have a system set up with both WinX Pro and OS/2 Warp fp15 using boot
    > manager. Right now the WinXP partition (6gb) is first on the drive,
    > followed by a boot manager partition, while OS/2 (2gb) is the first
    > logical partition. That's been working.
    >
    > I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions (DFSee),
    > moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee, took forever),
    > created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned the old OS/2
    > partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original OS/2 partition
    > (DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from diskettes,
    > thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    > manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function). No luck, FDISK
    > doesn't give me the option of adding the new partition to the boot manager.

    > So, am I up against the old 8gb rule? (ie, that the OS/2 partition must
    > be wholly contained in the first 8gb of the hard drive)

    You need at least FP13 to support past 8GB....see (at the end):

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html

    for a summary of versions.

    However, the BIOS has to support the INT 13H extensions (to address past
    8GB). Most modern BIOSes will, but you can check (from a booted DOS
    diskette) with:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/extdisk.html

    But, if you booted from diskettes, were the diskettes at FP13 or better?
    If not, that could be the problem (it's much less likely to be the
    BIOS).

  7. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 03:45:48 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >

    >>I have a system set up with both WinX Pro and OS/2 Warp fp15 using boot
    >>manager. Right now the WinXP partition (6gb) is first on the drive,
    >>followed by a boot manager partition, while OS/2 (2gb) is the first
    >>logical partition. That's been working.
    >>
    >>I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions (DFSee),
    >>moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee, took forever),
    >>created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned the old OS/2
    >>partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original OS/2 partition
    >>(DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from diskettes,
    >>thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    >>manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function). No luck, FDISK
    >>doesn't give me the option of adding the new partition to the boot manager.

    >>So, am I up against the old 8gb rule? (ie, that the OS/2 partition must
    >>be wholly contained in the first 8gb of the hard drive)

    > You need at least FP13 to support past 8GB....see (at the end):
    >
    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    >
    > for a summary of versions.

    I'm way past fp13... fp15 plus dani drivers, Fat32 support, etc.

    > However, the BIOS has to support the INT 13H extensions (to address past
    > 8GB). Most modern BIOSes will, but you can check (from a booted DOS
    > diskette) with:
    >
    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/extdisk.html

    Can't imagine this is a problem, the motherboard is only about a year
    old, two at the most, and I seem to remember checking int 13h at the
    time. I access 32gb FAT32 partitions my OS/2. My concern has to do with
    the boot process and FDISK not allowing me to make the cloned OS/2 Warp
    partition (which is beyond 8mb on the drive) bootable or put it into
    boot manager.

    As I said, Partition Magic ver 5 allowed me to place the partition into
    the boot manager, but when I click on it, I only get a black screen, so
    something isn't working... What?

    > But, if you booted from diskettes, were the diskettes at FP13 or better?
    > If not, that could be the problem (it's much less likely to be the
    > BIOS).

    The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves were
    downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to my
    system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current
    Dani's drivers, etc.

  8. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:48:16 UTC, Felix Miata wrote:
    >

    >>>thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    >>>manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function).

    >>The LVM function in DFSee adds partitions to BM menu.

    > Right, but only for LVM enabled systems of course.
    > For the pre-LVM systems, you would need to give the
    > partition a BM-name using the 'SETNAME' command.
    >
    > setname PID sys-name
    >
    > For an LVM enabled system, the command:
    >
    > lvm PID -m
    >
    > Will open the LVM-dialog for partition number 'PID' with
    > the checkbox for 'On the BM menu' already checked.
    >
    > I will add a specific menu-item for that in 7.03, to make
    > it easier to find: "Add partition to BMGR menu"
    >
    > Regards, JvW

    Confused me at first, Jan, but I figured out the setname command and put
    the cloned OS/2 system hpfs partition into boot manager as "OS2clone"
    (it apparently replaced the entry I'd put there with PQmagic), then I
    hid the original OS/2 partition (partition type code 17). But, I still
    get a blank screen immediately after clicking on "OS2Clone" on the boot
    manager screen.... no small OS/2 logo, just a blinking cursor in the
    upper left corner.

    Is there something additional that has to be done to clone an OS/2
    system to a new partition (ie, are there some boot records that aren't
    cloned)? What is the correct way?

    I do have some older PQ products I guess I could try ("Drive Image" and
    "Drive Copy"), but why didn't DFSee cloning work?

    Wayne

  9. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:21:27 UTC, WayneC wrote:

    > The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    > separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    > diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves were
    > downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to my
    > system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current
    > Dani's drivers, etc.

    The real question is whether ALL of the boot diskette is at FP13 or
    later level.

  10. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:21:27 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >

    >>The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    >>separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    >>diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves were
    >>downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to my
    >>system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current
    >>Dani's drivers, etc.

    > The real question is whether ALL of the boot diskette is at FP13 or
    > later level.

    I don't know how to answer that... considering that I downloaded the
    latest (at the time) boot diskettes from IBM, some years after the last
    fixpack, I would hope so.

  11. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:
    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:21:27 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >>

    >>> The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    >>> separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    >>> diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves
    >>> were downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to
    >>> my system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current
    >>> Dani's drivers, etc.

    >> The real question is whether ALL of the boot diskette is at FP13 or
    >> later level.
    >>

    > I don't know how to answer that... considering that I downloaded the
    > latest (at the time) boot diskettes from IBM, some years after the last
    > fixpack, I would hope so.

    PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway,
    since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with both
    DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all I get is a blank
    screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small OS/2 logo comes up.

  12. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Hi Wayne

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:00:46 UTC, WayneC wrote:

    > Confused me at first, Jan, but I figured out the setname command and put
    > the cloned OS/2 system hpfs partition into boot manager as "OS2clone"
    > (it apparently replaced the entry I'd put there with PQmagic), then I
    > hid the original OS/2 partition (partition type code 17). But, I still
    > get a blank screen immediately after clicking on "OS2Clone" on the boot
    > manager screen.... no small OS/2 logo, just a blinking cursor in the
    > upper left corner.
    >
    > Is there something additional that has to be done to clone an OS/2
    > system to a new partition

    No. not that I am aware of.

    Of course, since this seems to be a non-LVM enabled OS2 version,
    it HAS to be in the same relative position on the disk, to make sure
    it will get the same driveletter as the 'old' one had ...

    >(ie, are there some boot records that aren't
    > cloned)? What is the correct way?

    Well, perhaps there is a problem if you moved it beyond the
    1024 cylinder limit now, I don't know. Older versions had several
    limits in the boot-components ...

    > I do have some older PQ products I guess I could try ("Drive Image" and
    > "Drive Copy"), but why didn't DFSee cloning work?

    I have no idea, I could make a better analysis if you would
    run the DFSDISK procedure with a recent DFSeec version,
    and send that to DFSee supprt at:

    support AT dfsee DOT com

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  13. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:38:00 UTC, "Jan van Wijk"
    wrote:

    > Hi Wayne
    >
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:00:46 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >
    > > Confused me at first, Jan, but I figured out the setname command and put
    > > the cloned OS/2 system hpfs partition into boot manager as "OS2clone"
    > > (it apparently replaced the entry I'd put there with PQmagic), then I
    > > hid the original OS/2 partition (partition type code 17). But, I still
    > > get a blank screen immediately after clicking on "OS2Clone" on the boot
    > > manager screen.... no small OS/2 logo, just a blinking cursor in the
    > > upper left corner.
    > >
    > > Is there something additional that has to be done to clone an OS/2
    > > system to a new partition

    > No. not that I am aware of.
    >
    > Of course, since this seems to be a non-LVM enabled OS2 version,
    > it HAS to be in the same relative position on the disk, to make sure
    > it will get the same driveletter as the 'old' one had ...
    >
    > >(ie, are there some boot records that aren't
    > > cloned)? What is the correct way?

    > Well, perhaps there is a problem if you moved it beyond the
    > 1024 cylinder limit now, I don't know. Older versions had several
    > limits in the boot-components ...

    Presumably it would be worth (to make sure) doing an FDISK /NEWMBR to
    make sure that the post-FP134 MBR code is there. And a SYSINSTX (using
    the new one copied to the hard drive by the FixPak) to make sure the
    boot sector is up to date too.

  14. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Hi Wayne,

    FDISK from 2000 is definitively too old for > 8GB located boot partitions. 2000 FDISK's Bootmanager
    does not support extended BIOS 0X13 calls. This is also the reason that FDISK does not allow you to
    add the boot partition to the BM menue. AFAIK, FDISK should be from FP16 or FP17. In addition IBMs
    DASD package (IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, ...) should be at least at level found here:
    http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod...a?OpenDocument).
    This is free.

    I use a LVM enabled system Warp 4.52 with IBM maintenance. No problems with >8BG located partitions.

    Regards
    Uwe

    WayneC wrote:
    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 03:45:48 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have a system set up with both WinX Pro and OS/2 Warp fp15 using
    >>> boot manager. Right now the WinXP partition (6gb) is first on the
    >>> drive, followed by a boot manager partition, while OS/2 (2gb) is the
    >>> first logical partition. That's been working.
    >>>
    >>> I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions
    >>> (DFSee), moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee,
    >>> took forever), created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned
    >>> the old OS/2 partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original
    >>> OS/2 partition (DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from
    >>> diskettes, thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition
    >>> to the boot manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function). No
    >>> luck, FDISK doesn't give me the option of adding the new partition to
    >>> the boot manager.

    >>> So, am I up against the old 8gb rule? (ie, that the OS/2 partition
    >>> must be wholly contained in the first 8gb of the hard drive)

    >> You need at least FP13 to support past 8GB....see (at the end):
    >>
    >> http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    >>
    >> for a summary of versions.

    > I'm way past fp13... fp15 plus dani drivers, Fat32 support, etc.
    >

    >> However, the BIOS has to support the INT 13H extensions (to address past
    >> 8GB). Most modern BIOSes will, but you can check (from a booted DOS
    >> diskette) with:
    >>
    >> http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/extdisk.html

    > Can't imagine this is a problem, the motherboard is only about a year
    > old, two at the most, and I seem to remember checking int 13h at the
    > time. I access 32gb FAT32 partitions my OS/2. My concern has to do with
    > the boot process and FDISK not allowing me to make the cloned OS/2 Warp
    > partition (which is beyond 8mb on the drive) bootable or put it into
    > boot manager.
    >
    > As I said, Partition Magic ver 5 allowed me to place the partition into
    > the boot manager, but when I click on it, I only get a black screen, so
    > something isn't working... What?
    >

    >> But, if you booted from diskettes, were the diskettes at FP13 or better?
    >> If not, that could be the problem (it's much less likely to be the BIOS).
    >>

    > The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    > separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    > diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves were
    > downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to my
    > system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current
    > Dani's drivers, etc.

  15. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:25:07 UTC, Uwe Pilgram
    wrote:

    > AFAIK, FDISK should be from FP16 or FP17.

    FP13 is enough.

  16. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Uwe Pilgram wrote:

    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    > FDISK from 2000 is definitively too old for > 8GB located boot
    > partitions. 2000 FDISK's Bootmanager does not support extended BIOS 0X13
    > calls. This is also the reason that FDISK does not allow you to add the
    > boot partition to the BM menue. AFAIK, FDISK should be from FP16 or
    > FP17. In addition IBMs DASD package (IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, ...)
    > should be at least at level found here:
    > http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod...a?OpenDocument).
    > This is free.
    >
    > I use a LVM enabled system Warp 4.52 with IBM maintenance. No problems
    > with >8BG located partitions.
    >
    > Regards
    > Uwe

    Well, that's interesting information, I had no idea there even was a
    fp16 or fp17.

    I don't use IBM1S506.ADD and OS2DASD.DMD, but rather DANIS506.ADD
    (2/14/03), and DANIDASD.DMD (10/30/01)... after a search it appears
    there are newer versions, which I will apply to my system and reclone.
    I'll also download the upgrade from the link you supplied, and have a
    look at it.

    According to the ver /r check recommended by the link you gave me, my
    level is 4.50 revision 14.062. I probably have installed minor upgrades
    to that. My kernel screen during bootup says 14.085.

    Is there a source where I can obtain the later fp upgrades in an
    easily-installable form, without an IBM subscription? I previously used
    the "Warpup" cdroms, but I don't think there's been any Warpup releases
    past the 12/01 release. If your answer is "eCS", see the info below.

    I hate to admit it, but Warp is not my primary operating system any
    more, primarily because I moved into the world of digital cameras; the
    software and hardware associated with that, and problems with media
    downloads from websites and in email attachments from friends, updating
    Java, etc, etc became just too much hassle. Spending several hundred
    dollars for software just to be able to write to a cdrw didn't appeal
    much to me either, nor did the weeks of trial & error effort it took me
    to install Warp the last time I bought a new computer, and to create a
    usable set of bootable Warp installation diskettes. AFAIK, eCS doesn't
    overcome all those issues. WinXP makes more sense and was cheaper than
    just the cdrw software alone. In short, the hassle of maintaining Warp
    overcame my preference for Warp and my resistance to WinXP.

    These days I use Warp primarily to run a home-grown hobby-associated
    application I started coding years ago using IBM Extended Edition
    database software (back around OS/2 version 2). That EE application
    required some alteration of Warp version 4 installation diskettes in
    order to upgrade to Warp4 and continue running Extended Edition (as I
    recall, there was a program on the installation diskettes from which
    code necessary for Extended Edition was deleted, so it had to be
    replaced by the older version). I've enhanced my EE application over the
    years, so it grew to be quite extensive. Although it would be nice to
    upgrade the app from it's antiquated text interface to a nice graphics
    point & click, it would take me at least 6 man-months (probably more) to
    learn another database software package under WinXP (ie, MS Access) and
    re-code my application. I can't justify that time & effort, so I'm
    trying to maintain a bootable Warp4 to run my application. Although I
    once sprung for version 1 of eCS, it sits on the shelf, I just haven't
    ever attempted to install it, partly through fear my EE app won't run.

    Thanks for the help,
    Wayne

    ************************************************** **************************************

    > WayneC wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Eager wrote:

    >>> You need at least FP13 to support past 8GB....see (at the end):
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    >>>
    >>> for a summary of versions.

    >> I'm way past fp13... fp15 plus dani drivers, Fat32 support, etc.
    >>

    >>> However, the BIOS has to support the INT 13H extensions (to address past
    >>> 8GB). Most modern BIOSes will, but you can check (from a booted DOS
    >>> diskette) with:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/extdisk.html

    >> Can't imagine this is a problem, the motherboard is only about a year
    >> old, two at the most, and I seem to remember checking int 13h at the
    >> time. I access 32gb FAT32 partitions my OS/2. My concern has to do
    >> with the boot process and FDISK not allowing me to make the cloned
    >> OS/2 Warp partition (which is beyond 8mb on the drive) bootable or put
    >> it into boot manager.
    >>
    >> As I said, Partition Magic ver 5 allowed me to place the partition
    >> into the boot manager, but when I click on it, I only get a black
    >> screen, so something isn't working... What?
    >>

    >>> But, if you booted from diskettes, were the diskettes at FP13 or better?
    >>> If not, that could be the problem (it's much less likely to be the
    >>> BIOS).
    >>>

    >> The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    >> separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    >> diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves
    >> were downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to
    >> my system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current
    >> Dani's drivers, etc.

  17. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:
    > Uwe Pilgram wrote:
    >

    >> Hi Wayne,
    >>
    >> FDISK from 2000 is definitively too old for > 8GB located boot
    >> partitions. 2000 FDISK's Bootmanager does not support extended BIOS
    >> 0X13 calls. This is also the reason that FDISK does not allow you to
    >> add the boot partition to the BM menue. AFAIK, FDISK should be from
    >> FP16 or FP17. In addition IBMs DASD package (IBM1S506.ADD,
    >> OS2DASD.DMD, ...) should be at least at level found here:
    >> http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod...a?OpenDocument).
    >> This is free.
    >>
    >> I use a LVM enabled system Warp 4.52 with IBM maintenance. No problems
    >> with >8BG located partitions.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Uwe
    >>

    > Well, that's interesting information, I had no idea there even was a
    > fp16 or fp17.
    >
    > I don't use IBM1S506.ADD and OS2DASD.DMD, but rather DANIS506.ADD
    > (2/14/03), and DANIDASD.DMD (10/30/01)... after a search it appears
    > there are newer versions, which I will apply to my system and reclone.
    > I'll also download the upgrade from the link you supplied, and have a
    > look at it.

    I did the above (except for the reclone), with quite some difficulty! I
    got concerned that the danidasd.dmd readme says:

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Caution:

    DaniDASD.DMD is made for non-LVM systems only!
    It does not work with OS2LVM.DMD!
    It can not overcome limitations of FDISK or OS/2 Bootmanager!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I don't understand the limitation (and I did add the new OS2LVM.DMD to
    my boot directory as part of the IBM upgrade file I downloaded today).
    ?????

    I've been using this same (date) danidasd.dmd program so I didn't need
    to change that. I did replace danis506.add with the newer one. I did not
    change config.sys, it still points at the dani drivers.

    And, I was confused with the IBM site download for extended partitions
    (at the url you supplied) because it says to place various files in
    certain libraries, including "OS2DUMP" and "OS2KRNL", but the files in
    the download were named:

    OS2DUMP.SMP
    OS2DUMP.UNI
    OS2KRNL.SMP
    OS@KRNL.UNI

    No instructions as to that discrepancy. I assumed UNI means uniprocessor
    and that they meant for me to rename the .uni ones by dropping the
    suffix (another problem all it's own because of attributes), but I am
    not certain of that... they may have meant for all of them to go in the
    D: drive named as they are. Anyway, I did remove the .uni suffix from
    them and they are now on my old OS/2 partition (within 8gb of the volume
    start), and the OS2 partition does boot (but with frequent hangs, see
    below); now the kernel screen says 14.092 (ver /r is still the same).

    Another problem: the IBM instructions said to use LVM to delete the boot
    manager and then add it again, but LVM would not allow me to do that...
    when I highlighted the boot manager partition and hit enter, nothing
    happened, no choices appeared. When I then tried to end LVM, it asked if
    I wanted to save the changes (didn't think I'd made any) so I did, then
    it required me to reboot. On reboot there was NO boot manager screen!!!

    So I booted from my (still unaltered as yet) OS/2 installation diskettes
    and used FDISK from that to add a boot manager. Now I can boot the old
    OS/2 partition again, except it has begun having a propensity to hang
    right after it loads my Novell client... it requires 2 or 3 reboots
    before it will finally get past that hang and come up... must be some
    sort of timing error, I guess.

    One other thing looks strange: on boot manager screen, the WinXP
    partition now says LVM in front of it, the OS/2 partition does not.

    I left the config.sys the way it was originally: using dani dasd drivers.

    Frankly I am nervous about following the instructions for updating the
    OS/2 installation diskettes now, since there were times today when that
    was the only thing I could boot! I guess I will, but after I make a copy
    or two of the existing set.

    Nothing I did changed FDISK or any boot records, so where am I in this
    whole process???? I guess I can now clone the OS/2 partition to the
    partition out beyond 8gb now, but I have no faith that it will boot, or
    that I've really changed anything for the better. I am really confused
    now, exactly what did I do to my system today, and have I introduced
    issues by keeping danidasd? Should I change my config.sys to use
    OS2DASD.DMD?

    I'd still like to know if there's somewhere I can obtain something like
    the "Warpup" cdrom for bringing my OS/2 system up to a higher fixpack
    level, because these partial attempts at upgrades leave me wondering
    whether I've done more harm than good.... seems like I wasted the better
    part of a day today to get nowhere. I'm discouraged.

    Wayne

> [...]
    >>> old, two at the most, and I seem to remember checking int 13h at the
    >>> time. I access 32gb FAT32 partitions my OS/2. My concern has to do
    >>> with the boot process and FDISK not allowing me to make the cloned
    >>> OS/2 Warp partition (which is beyond 8mb on the drive) bootable or
    >>> put it into boot manager.
    >>>
    >>> As I said, Partition Magic ver 5 allowed me to place the partition
    >>> into the boot manager, but when I click on it, I only get a black
    >>> screen, so something isn't working... What?

    >>> The date on FDISK on the utilities diskette is 11/15/2000 (I use a
    >>> separate utilities diskette after loading Warp with the first 3
    >>> diskettes)... is that current enough? The boot diskettes themselves
    >>> were downloaded from IBM about a year ago and laboriously tailored to
    >>> my system to fit all that I needed on them, updated with then-current

  18. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    I keep both a clean installed copy of both Warp4 and WSEB on some older
    10gig drives. I have a 40gig IDE drive that I have split up as 30gig
    WinXP & 10gig Warp4 or WSEB. The procedure I used was, on a clean HD,
    installed WinXP and set partition @ 30gig. After WinXP has finished
    installing. I connect the now WinXP HD that has 10gig free and plug it
    into the secondary IDE interface and plug in my pre-installed copy of
    either Warp4 or WSEB HD onto the primary interface. Boot the computer and
    do a F1 at the os/2 blob then select F2. At the command prompt run
    FDISK/LVM and create the 10gig partition on the HD that connected to the
    secondary IDE interface. [No bootmangaer installed at this point]. Reboot
    and again goto the command prompt, format the new 10gig HD, then XCOPY *.
    * d: /h/o/t/s/e/r/v from drive C:

    Reconnect the 40gig drive back to the primary IDE interface. If installed
    WSEB I then boot up on the bootable CD and set the HD from a drive D: to
    drive C: using LVM on the D:\os2 drive.

    Now use AirBoot as the bootmanager. Works a treat and can boot either
    WinXP or Warp4/WSEB even if OS/2 is over the 8gig barrier.

    MB-HWH [maybe-this will help]

    WayneC wrote in

    > I have a system set up with both WinX Pro and OS/2 Warp fp15 using
    > boot manager. Right now the WinXP partition (6gb) is first on the
    > drive, followed by a boot manager partition, while OS/2 (2gb) is the
    > first logical partition. That's been working.
    >
    > I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions
    > (DFSee), moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee, took
    > forever), created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned the
    > old OS/2 partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original OS/2
    > partition (DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from
    > diskettes, thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition
    > to the boot manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function). No
    > luck, FDISK doesn't give me the option of adding the new partition to
    > the boot manager.
    >
    > The hard drive currently has (not their real names):
    >
    > WinXP 6gb (primary)
    > Boot Manager (minimum size, primary)
    > ******* extended ********
    > Old Warp 2gb (hidden logical)
    > freespace 2gb
    > Cloned Warp 2gb (logical)
    > Data1 2gb
    > Data2 2gb
    > Data3 14gb

    > Wayne

  19. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:

    :
    > PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway,
    > since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with both
    > DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all I get is a blank
    > screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small OS/2 logo comes up.

    Just a hunch:
    Did you apply SYSINSTX to the new OS/2 partition as Bob Eager suggested?
    If you didn't, there might not be an appropriate boot sector and
    consequently, nothing to boot, so a lacking OS/2 blob wouldn't be a
    surprise then... AFAIK OS/2 boot mgr does not check for a valid boot sector.
    You could even do this from the old OS/2 partition (just unhide & boot
    it temporarily).

    No drive letter confusion (e.g., is XP on an NTFS primary seen as C: by
    OS/2)?

    BTW you might move WinXP's primary partition to the end of the drive
    (that is, to the last cylinders). That's what I did with Win2K here, to
    be able to use Warp3's boot mgr which does have 8GB limits. No problem
    having an extended partition "squeezed" between two primary ones (after
    all, an extended partition is just another primary one).

  20. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:46:27 UTC, Philip Nienhuis
    wrote:

    > WayneC wrote:
    >

    > :
    > > PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway,
    > > since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with both
    > > DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all I get is a blank
    > > screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small OS/2 logo comes up.

    > Just a hunch:
    > Did you apply SYSINSTX to the new OS/2 partition as Bob Eager suggested?
    > If you didn't, there might not be an appropriate boot sector and
    > consequently, nothing to boot, so a lacking OS/2 blob wouldn't be a
    > surprise then... AFAIK OS/2 boot mgr does not check for a valid boot sector.
    > You could even do this from the old OS/2 partition (just unhide & boot
    > it temporarily).

    Two points here..there may be no boot code at all, or it may be
    pre-FP13. Either can cause the boot to fail...

    If you do use SYSINSTX, you MUST use the copy put into
    \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK; any other may be backlevel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast