8gb limit for booting OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on 8gb limit for booting OS/2? - OS2 ; Philip Nienhuis wrote: > WayneC wrote: > > > : > >> PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway, >> since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with >> both ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

  1. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Philip Nienhuis wrote:
    > WayneC wrote:
    >
    >
    > :
    >
    >> PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway,
    >> since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with
    >> both DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all I get is a
    >> blank screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small OS/2 logo
    >> comes up.

    >
    >
    > Just a hunch:
    > Did you apply SYSINSTX to the new OS/2 partition as Bob Eager suggested?
    > If you didn't, there might not be an appropriate boot sector and
    > consequently, nothing to boot, so a lacking OS/2 blob wouldn't be a
    > surprise then... AFAIK OS/2 boot mgr does not check for a valid boot
    > sector.


    I guess I could try this... but I didn't create a partition and copy
    files to it, I "cloned" (whatever that means in DFSee) the old OS/2
    partition using DFSee, so shouldn't those (SYSINSTX) records have been
    cloned with it?

    > You could even do this from the old OS/2 partition (just unhide & boot
    > it temporarily).


    Perhaps, although that would be messy since unhiding the cloned
    partition screws up partition letters for the old OS/2. I suspect I
    could boot OS/2 from diskettes, set up a path to the old OS/2 partition,
    and do the SYSINSTX to the new/cloned OS/2 partition.

    >
    > No drive letter confusion (e.g., is XP on an NTFS primary seen as C: by
    > OS/2)?


    Not sure I understand what you mean... WinXP is the only primary
    partition on the drive (aside from boot manager); the old OS/2 is just
    in front of the cloned OS/2 partition, but separated by a 2gb freespace,
    all in the extended area. If I unhide the old OS/2 partition, with the
    cloned partition hidden, the old OS/2 boots fine as D: and sees WinXP as
    C:. If I hide the old OS/2 partition and boot the cloned partition, I
    get the blank screen. So I don't think there's any confusion there.

    >
    > BTW you might move WinXP's primary partition to the end of the drive
    > (that is, to the last cylinders). That's what I did with Win2K here, to
    > be able to use Warp3's boot mgr which does have 8GB limits. No problem
    > having an extended partition "squeezed" between two primary ones (after
    > all, an extended partition is just another primary one).


    Can you expand a bit on this, it's worth considering, although I've
    never heard of an extended partition between 2 primary partitions...
    would you move the other partitions around to make space (I'd also have
    to resize some of them to allow another 6gb partition clone, not sure I
    have enough unused space to do that)... then how do you resize the
    extended area? ...it doesn't show up as a partition under DFSee, as far
    as I can tell. And, there are several other issues:

    1. there wouldn't be 2 primary partitions with the extended partition
    squeezed between them: WinXP is currently the only primary partition; so
    is it possible to start the drive with an extended partition?

    2. if not, I'd have the issue that OS/2 is currently a logical partition
    set up to be the D: drive; I suppose I could set up a one-cylinder
    primary partition at the front of the drive to solve that, but then...

    3. I'm not sure how WinXP reacts to having it's partition letter
    changed, I would think that would screw up all the installed programs
    (maybe it doesn't care and is able to resolve that at boot time???).

    Thanks for your response,
    Wayne

  2. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:46:27 UTC, Philip Nienhuis
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>WayneC wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>:
    >>
    >>>PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway,
    >>>since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with both
    >>>DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all I get is a blank
    >>>screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small OS/2 logo comes up.

    >>
    >>
    >>Just a hunch:
    >>Did you apply SYSINSTX to the new OS/2 partition as Bob Eager suggested?
    >>If you didn't, there might not be an appropriate boot sector and
    >>consequently, nothing to boot, so a lacking OS/2 blob wouldn't be a
    >>surprise then... AFAIK OS/2 boot mgr does not check for a valid boot sector.
    >>You could even do this from the old OS/2 partition (just unhide & boot
    >>it temporarily).

    >
    >
    > Two points here..there may be no boot code at all, or it may be
    > pre-FP13. Either can cause the boot to fail...
    >
    > If you do use SYSINSTX, you MUST use the copy put into
    > \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK; any other may be backlevel.
    >


    Bob, do you think that the DFSee "clone" operation does not copy the
    boot files addressed by SYSINSTX? Is there any way, I wonder, to find
    out if the needed boot files are on the cloned partition and in the
    right place? How do I know the files installed by a SYSINSTX command are
    or are not backlevel? (perhaps they ARE currently backlevel because my
    original OS/2 partition was created "back when", before the OS/2 system
    was brought up to current fp level, and just copied/cloned ever since???)

    Wayne

  3. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:53:55 UTC, WayneC wrote:

    > Bob, do you think that the DFSee "clone" operation does not copy the
    > boot files addressed by SYSINSTX?


    It probably does...but that's assuming they were up to date to start
    with.

    > Is there any way, I wonder, to find
    > out if the needed boot files are on the cloned partition and in the
    > right place? How do I know the files installed by a SYSINSTX command are
    > or are not backlevel?


    Simple answer - SYSINSTX them, and if they work, they were backlevel! It
    isn't going to hurt...

    Alternatively, use a hex editor to display the boot sector and try to
    find the string 'I13X'. If it's there, it's OK. If not, it's not going
    to work until you fix it with SYSINSTX.




  4. Re: 8gb limit ... OK, got it booting!!

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:53:55 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Bob, do you think that the DFSee "clone" operation does not copy the
    >>boot files addressed by SYSINSTX?

    >
    >
    > It probably does...but that's assuming they were up to date to start
    > with.
    >
    >
    >>Is there any way, I wonder, to find
    >>out if the needed boot files are on the cloned partition and in the
    >>right place? How do I know the files installed by a SYSINSTX command are
    >>or are not backlevel?

    >
    >
    > Simple answer - SYSINSTX them, and if they work, they were backlevel! It
    > isn't going to hurt...


    I did do that, probably while you were writing this note... and it worked!!!

    Apparently I've been doing fp updates and copying partitions for years
    and I probably never did start by building a new partition from scratch,
    therefore the OS/2 system on the partition was fine, but the boot
    records on the partition never did get updated.

    So, I am past the initial stumbling block: I have a bootable OS/2
    partition (usually, see below) out past the 8gb mark.

    I still have a couple of outstanding problems to solve, but they are not
    as urgent:

    1. Since I started all these changes to move the partition further out,
    including installing some extended partition stuff from an IBM site
    recommended in an earlier reply, and upgrading my danis506.add program,
    the old OS/2 system has been hanging during bootup, and that hang has
    carried over to the cloned OS/2.... the saving grace is that I can
    eventually get past it by repeated re-boots. I note that my cdrom/DVD
    drives are being revved up about the same time as the hang... whether
    that has any bearing on the problem, I don't know, especially as it
    happens even without a cd in the device.

    2. I still need to get the installation diskettes up to speed... that
    oughta be fun, since they are pretty well crammed full as is. I already
    added SYSINSTX to the utility diskette (diskette #3 the last one of my 4
    installation diskettes) in order to update the boot records on the
    cloned OS/2 partition.

    Thanks for the help, I'm not sure I ever would have figured out on my
    own that the boot records needed to be changed.

    Wayne


    >
    > Alternatively, use a hex editor to display the boot sector and try to
    > find the string 'I13X'. If it's there, it's OK. If not, it's not going
    > to work until you fix it with SYSINSTX.
    >
    >
    >


  5. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Philip Nienhuis wrote:
    > WayneC wrote:
    >
    >
    > :
    >
    >> PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path anyway,
    >> since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot manager with
    >> both DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all I get is a
    >> blank screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small OS/2 logo
    >> comes up.

    >
    >
    > Just a hunch:
    > Did you apply SYSINSTX to the new OS/2 partition as Bob Eager suggested?
    > If you didn't, there might not be an appropriate boot sector and
    > consequently, nothing to boot, so a lacking OS/2 blob wouldn't be a
    > surprise then... AFAIK OS/2 boot mgr does not check for a valid boot
    > sector.


    You and Bob were onto it here, Phillip, that did the trick!!! Apparently
    I've been updating my OS/2 system, and copying it from computer to
    computer for years, but never have updated the boot records.

    Thanks,
    Wayne

    > You could even do this from the old OS/2 partition (just unhide & boot
    > it temporarily).
    >
    > No drive letter confusion (e.g., is XP on an NTFS primary seen as C: by
    > OS/2)?
    >
    > BTW you might move WinXP's primary partition to the end of the drive
    > (that is, to the last cylinders). That's what I did with Win2K here, to
    > be able to use Warp3's boot mgr which does have 8GB limits. No problem
    > having an extended partition "squeezed" between two primary ones (after
    > all, an extended partition is just another primary one).


  6. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2? RESOLVED!

    Thanks to all... it turned out to be the boot records on the partition
    were backlevel, even though the OS/2 system on the partition was up to
    snuff. Apparently I had been updating & copying OS/2 for years, so the
    original boot records were still in place.

    Wayne

  7. Re: 8gb limit ... OK, got it booting!!

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:27:56 UTC, WayneC wrote:

    > > Simple answer - SYSINSTX them, and if they work, they were backlevel! It
    > > isn't going to hurt...

    >
    > I did do that, probably while you were writing this note... and it worked!!!


    Great!

    > Apparently I've been doing fp updates and copying partitions for years
    > and I probably never did start by building a new partition from scratch,
    > therefore the OS/2 system on the partition was fine, but the boot
    > records on the partition never did get updated.


    That was my suspicion. I'm pretty sure that using a post-FP13 FDISK *at
    all* automagically updates the MBR, but the boot records are another
    matter.

    > 1. Since I started all these changes to move the partition further out,
    > including installing some extended partition stuff from an IBM site
    > recommended in an earlier reply, and upgrading my danis506.add program,
    > the old OS/2 system has been hanging during bootup, and that hang has
    > carried over to the cloned OS/2.... the saving grace is that I can
    > eventually get past it by repeated re-boots. I note that my cdrom/DVD
    > drives are being revved up about the same time as the hang... whether
    > that has any bearing on the problem, I don't know, especially as it
    > happens even without a cd in the device.


    Not sure about that. I use SCSI almost exclusively. I'd check that the
    CDROM drive is correctly jumper as master or slave, though.

    > 2. I still need to get the installation diskettes up to speed... that
    > oughta be fun, since they are pretty well crammed full as is. I already
    > added SYSINSTX to the utility diskette (diskette #3 the last one of my 4
    > installation diskettes) in order to update the boot records on the
    > cloned OS/2 partition.


    There's some hints in the IDEDASD README on what you can delete and how
    to do it all.

    > Thanks for the help, I'm not sure I ever would have figured out on my
    > own that the boot records needed to be changed.


    I researched the whole boot process for another reason a while ago...!

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html



  8. Re: 8gb limit ... OK, got it booting!!

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:27:56 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>Simple answer - SYSINSTX them, and if they work, they were backlevel! It
    >>>isn't going to hurt...

    >>
    >>I did do that, probably while you were writing this note... and it worked!!!

    >
    >
    > Great!
    >
    >
    >>Apparently I've been doing fp updates and copying partitions for years
    >>and I probably never did start by building a new partition from scratch,
    >>therefore the OS/2 system on the partition was fine, but the boot
    >>records on the partition never did get updated.

    >
    >
    > That was my suspicion. I'm pretty sure that using a post-FP13 FDISK *at
    > all* automagically updates the MBR, but the boot records are another
    > matter.
    >
    >
    >>1. Since I started all these changes to move the partition further out,
    >>including installing some extended partition stuff from an IBM site
    >>recommended in an earlier reply, and upgrading my danis506.add program,
    >>the old OS/2 system has been hanging during bootup, and that hang has
    >>carried over to the cloned OS/2.... the saving grace is that I can
    >>eventually get past it by repeated re-boots. I note that my cdrom/DVD
    >>drives are being revved up about the same time as the hang... whether
    >>that has any bearing on the problem, I don't know, especially as it
    >>happens even without a cd in the device.

    >
    >
    > Not sure about that. I use SCSI almost exclusively. I'd check that the
    > CDROM drive is correctly jumper as master or slave, though.


    I have both scsi and ide hard drives (two of each). The hard drive I've
    been working on with this topic is ide; my DVD is ide, my cdrw is scsi
    on a separate scsi controller. All these devices have been working fine
    for at least 10 months, with the exception of a scsi cable problem
    (maybe the new cable is developing the same problem). I really don't
    know if any of these drives are the problem.


    >
    >
    >>2. I still need to get the installation diskettes up to speed... that
    >>oughta be fun, since they are pretty well crammed full as is. I already
    >>added SYSINSTX to the utility diskette (diskette #3 the last one of my 4
    >>installation diskettes) in order to update the boot records on the
    >>cloned OS/2 partition.

    >
    >
    > There's some hints in the IDEDASD README on what you can delete and how
    > to do it all.


    I'll have a look; I said it would be "fun" because I went through the
    process about 18 months ago and squeezed everything I could out of them
    to get them updated at the time, and it was a long, hard, road getting a
    working set!

    >
    >
    >>Thanks for the help, I'm not sure I ever would have figured out on my
    >>own that the boot records needed to be changed.

    >
    >
    > I researched the whole boot process for another reason a while ago...!
    >
    > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/boot.html
    >
    >


  9. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Bob Eager wrote:

    > If you do use SYSINSTX, you MUST use the copy put into
    > \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK; any other may be backlevel.


    And make sure that the newest UHPFS.DLL is used also,
    which is the place where the filesystem boot
    code is taken from..

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  10. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:
    > Philip Nienhuis wrote:
    >
    >> WayneC wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> :
    >>
    >>> PS, I think boot diskette discussion leads down the wrong path
    >>> anyway, since I was able to get the cloned partition into boot
    >>> manager with both DFSee and PQmagic... but if I do boot it, then all
    >>> I get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor, not even the small
    >>> OS/2 logo comes up.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Just a hunch:
    >> Did you apply SYSINSTX to the new OS/2 partition as Bob Eager suggested?
    >> If you didn't, there might not be an appropriate boot sector and
    >> consequently, nothing to boot, so a lacking OS/2 blob wouldn't be a
    >> surprise then... AFAIK OS/2 boot mgr does not check for a valid boot
    >> sector.

    >
    >
    > I guess I could try this... but I didn't create a partition and copy
    > files to it, I "cloned" (whatever that means in DFSee) the old OS/2
    > partition using DFSee, so shouldn't those (SYSINSTX) records have been
    > cloned with it?


    No, cloning only copies the "contents", not the boot sector as that
    contains (IIRC) absolute references to partition start and end sectors -
    obviously you can't clone those.

    >> You could even do this from the old OS/2 partition (just unhide & boot
    >> it temporarily).

    >
    >
    > Perhaps, although that would be messy since unhiding the cloned
    > partition screws up partition letters for the old OS/2. I suspect I
    > could boot OS/2 from diskettes, set up a path to the old OS/2 partition,
    > and do the SYSINSTX to the new/cloned OS/2 partition.


    (I've read you've managed to get it working, so this might be good for
    the next time
    AFAIK (!) SYSINSTX couldn't care less what drive letter the partition in
    question is. It just writes the boot code.
    That is, in my experience :-)

    >>
    >> No drive letter confusion (e.g., is XP on an NTFS primary seen as C:
    >> by OS/2)?

    >
    > Not sure I understand what you mean... WinXP is the only primary
    > partition on the drive (aside from boot manager); the old OS/2 is just
    > in front of the cloned OS/2 partition, but separated by a 2gb freespace,
    > all in the extended area. If I unhide the old OS/2 partition, with the
    > cloned partition hidden, the old OS/2 boots fine as D: and sees WinXP as
    > C:. If I hide the old OS/2 partition and boot the cloned partition, I
    > get the blank screen. So I don't think there's any confusion there.


    NTFS is "recognized" as HPFS by OS/2, but OS/2 can't read it. That is
    because NTFS and HPFS have the same partition type (07). FYI, FAT16 =
    06, FAT32 0b or 0c, an extended partition 05 (or 0f).

    BTW, Similarly, if Win2K or -XP find a HPFS partition, they think it's
    NTFS but find they can't read it and suggest to reformat your precious
    OS/2 partition.....

    >> BTW you might move WinXP's primary partition to the end of the drive
    >> (that is, to the last cylinders). That's what I did with Win2K here,
    >> to be able to use Warp3's boot mgr which does have 8GB limits. No
    >> problem having an extended partition "squeezed" between two primary
    >> ones (after all, an extended partition is just another primary one).

    >
    > Can you expand a bit on this, it's worth considering, although I've
    > never heard of an extended partition between 2 primary partitions...


    Just something like this (from memory, an old setup on my desktop):
    start end type name
    0 1 0A OS/2 boot mgr
    1 1200 05 extended partition
    1201 2400 07 Windows 2000 NTFS

    and the extended partition:
    1 40 06 OS/2 maintenance & DOS progs FAT16
    41 43 83 Linux /boot
    44 111 82 Linux swap
    112 311 07 OS/2 Warp3 HPFS
    312 800 0b FAT32 common data
    801 1200 83 Linux /

    > would you move the other partitions around to make space (I'd also have
    > to resize some of them to allow another 6gb partition clone, not sure I
    > have enough unused space to do that)... then how do you resize the
    > extended area? ...it doesn't show up as a partition under DFSee, as far


    I do that with OS/2 FDISK; it automatically extends the extended
    partition if you add logical partitions. Logical partitions should be in
    one consecutive block, that's all.
    I don't use DFSee.

    > as I can tell. And, there are several other issues:
    >
    > 1. there wouldn't be 2 primary partitions with the extended partition
    > squeezed between them: WinXP is currently the only primary partition; so
    > is it possible to start the drive with an extended partition?


    Sure, I've sometimes had that setup too. No problem as long as a "real"
    primary partition is set "active". And with AirBoot even that is not needed.

    > 2. if not, I'd have the issue that OS/2 is currently a logical partition
    > set up to be the D: drive; I suppose I could set up a one-cylinder
    > primary partition at the front of the drive to solve that, but then...


    No problem, drive enumeration always assigns C: to the first "visible"
    primary partition irrespective of its entries in the MBR, and -if I
    understand you report right- in your case that would still be WinXP's
    NTFS primary partition. It's C: although OS/2 can't use or see it.

    > 3. I'm not sure how WinXP reacts to having it's partition letter
    > changed, I would think that would screw up all the installed programs
    > (maybe it doesn't care and is able to resolve that at boot time???).


    Ah yes that is difficult (sorry I should have realized that) - not so
    much the drive letter (it doesn't change) but XP's mount table (which
    links drive letters to "physical" partitions). There is a way around
    that, but you must be very careful with it.
    Some tricks are shown on my Libretto web page:
    http://home.hccnet.nl/pr.nienhuis/Wi...tml#BOOTDRVLTR

    AFAICS you only need to use \windows\system32\mountvol (after
    copying/cloning XP, as the last thing in the "old" XP before rebooting
    XP on the new partition) to point C: to the proper partition. It takes a
    bit of expertise and guts to do this, admittedly.

    Reinstalling may be a better option for XP...

    > Thanks for your response,
    > Wayne


  11. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    > Two points here..there may be no boot code at all, or it may be
    > pre-FP13. Either can cause the boot to fail...
    >
    > If you do use SYSINSTX, you MUST use the copy put into
    > \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK; any other may be backlevel.
    >

    I believe these instructions are misleading and possibly erroneous, at least for
    a warp4 system (I don't know about wseb).

    If it is necessary to run sysinstx.com against a partition, it follows that that
    partition is not bootable in its present state and therefore the system must
    have been booted from floppies, cd, or another partition. As such it is running
    under some kernel which may not be the same as the one on the target partition,
    and it is necessary to run the version of sysinstx.com that corresponds to the
    kernel that the system is running under when sysinstx is run, not the kernel
    that the target partition will run under. If the running kernel is pre fixpack
    13, the version of sysinstx on the original warp4 install disks must be used.
    If the kernel is post fp13, the version installed by recent fixpacks must be
    used. FP13 did not update sysinstx or place it on the system unless it was
    already there, which is not usually the case. Later fixpacks install the new
    version of sysinstx unconditionally. Irv Spalten explained all this shortly
    after FP13 came out and the discrepancy between the two versions was discovered.

  12. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:30:58 UTC, "James J. Weinkam"
    wrote:

    > and it is necessary to run the version of sysinstx.com that corresponds to the
    > kernel that the system is running under when sysinstx is run, not the kernel
    > that the target partition will run under.


    Well, not if you want a boot record that matches the kernel on the
    partition you want to boot.

    > If the running kernel is pre fixpack
    > 13, the version of sysinstx on the original warp4 install disks must be used.


    Agreed. But that wasn't the case here.

    > If the kernel is post fp13, the version installed by recent fixpacks must be
    > used.


    Which is what I said.

    > FP13 did not update sysinstx or place it on the system unless it was
    > already there, which is not usually the case. Later fixpacks install the new
    > version of sysinstx unconditionally. Irv Spalten explained all this shortly
    > after FP13 came out and the discrepancy between the two versions was discovered.


    Yes, but in this case he was at FP15. And I knew that...perhaps saying
    'post FP13' might have implied 'FP13', but it was meant to imply 'FP14
    onwards'.

    It's fairly academic, since no-one actually applies FP13!

    (later)

    I just took a look at my reference FP13 and FP15 installs. Both of these
    were a standard GA install followed by installation of the relevant
    fixpack. In the case of FP13, there *is* a SYSINSTX.COM, but in
    \OS2\INSTALL. In the case of FP15, it's in \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK. The
    files have different dates but are byte for byte identical. The
    UHPFS.DLL files are, however, different. But they would always be
    different anyway.


  13. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    WayneC wrote:

    > I need more room for WinXP, so I reduced a couple of partitions (DFSee),
    > moved everything I could to the end of the drive (DFSee, took forever),
    > created another 2gb logical partition (DFSee), cloned the old OS/2
    > partition to my new partition (DFSee), hid the original OS/2 partition
    > (DFSee partition code edit), and then booted OS/2 from diskettes,
    > thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    > manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function).


    The LVM function in DFSee adds partitions to BM menu.
    --
    "Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:39 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  14. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:48:16 UTC, Felix Miata wrote:

    > > thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    > > manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function).

    >
    > The LVM function in DFSee adds partitions to BM menu.


    Right, but only for LVM enabled systems of course.
    For the pre-LVM systems, you would need to give the
    partition a BM-name using the 'SETNAME' command.

    setname PID sys-name

    For an LVM enabled system, the command:

    lvm PID -m

    Will open the LVM-dialog for partition number 'PID' with
    the checkbox for 'On the BM menu' already checked.

    I will add a specific menu-item for that in 7.03, to make
    it easier to find: "Add partition to BMGR menu"

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  15. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Jan van Wijk wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:48:16 UTC, Felix Miata wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>thinking I was going to use FDISK to add the new partition to the boot
    >>>manager (DFSee doesn't seem to have that function).

    >>
    >>
    >>The LVM function in DFSee adds partitions to BM menu.

    >
    >
    > Right, but only for LVM enabled systems of course.
    > For the pre-LVM systems, you would need to give the
    > partition a BM-name using the 'SETNAME' command.
    >
    > setname PID sys-name
    >
    > For an LVM enabled system, the command:
    >
    > lvm PID -m
    >
    > Will open the LVM-dialog for partition number 'PID' with
    > the checkbox for 'On the BM menu' already checked.
    >
    > I will add a specific menu-item for that in 7.03, to make
    > it easier to find: "Add partition to BMGR menu"
    >
    > Regards, JvW
    >


    Confused me at first, Jan, but I figured out the setname command and put
    the cloned OS/2 system hpfs partition into boot manager as "OS2clone"
    (it apparently replaced the entry I'd put there with PQmagic), then I
    hid the original OS/2 partition (partition type code 17). But, I still
    get a blank screen immediately after clicking on "OS2Clone" on the boot
    manager screen.... no small OS/2 logo, just a blinking cursor in the
    upper left corner.

    Is there something additional that has to be done to clone an OS/2
    system to a new partition (ie, are there some boot records that aren't
    cloned)? What is the correct way?

    I do have some older PQ products I guess I could try ("Drive Image" and
    "Drive Copy"), but why didn't DFSee cloning work?

    Wayne

  16. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    Hi Wayne

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:00:46 UTC, WayneC wrote:

    > Confused me at first, Jan, but I figured out the setname command and put
    > the cloned OS/2 system hpfs partition into boot manager as "OS2clone"
    > (it apparently replaced the entry I'd put there with PQmagic), then I
    > hid the original OS/2 partition (partition type code 17). But, I still
    > get a blank screen immediately after clicking on "OS2Clone" on the boot
    > manager screen.... no small OS/2 logo, just a blinking cursor in the
    > upper left corner.
    >
    > Is there something additional that has to be done to clone an OS/2
    > system to a new partition


    No. not that I am aware of.

    Of course, since this seems to be a non-LVM enabled OS2 version,
    it HAS to be in the same relative position on the disk, to make sure
    it will get the same driveletter as the 'old' one had ...

    >(ie, are there some boot records that aren't
    > cloned)? What is the correct way?


    Well, perhaps there is a problem if you moved it beyond the
    1024 cylinder limit now, I don't know. Older versions had several
    limits in the boot-components ...


    > I do have some older PQ products I guess I could try ("Drive Image" and
    > "Drive Copy"), but why didn't DFSee cloning work?


    I have no idea, I could make a better analysis if you would
    run the DFSDISK procedure with a recent DFSeec version,
    and send that to DFSee supprt at:

    support AT dfsee DOT com

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  17. Re: 8gb limit for booting OS/2?

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:38:00 UTC, "Jan van Wijk"
    wrote:

    > Hi Wayne
    >
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:00:46 UTC, WayneC wrote:
    >
    > > Confused me at first, Jan, but I figured out the setname command and put
    > > the cloned OS/2 system hpfs partition into boot manager as "OS2clone"
    > > (it apparently replaced the entry I'd put there with PQmagic), then I
    > > hid the original OS/2 partition (partition type code 17). But, I still
    > > get a blank screen immediately after clicking on "OS2Clone" on the boot
    > > manager screen.... no small OS/2 logo, just a blinking cursor in the
    > > upper left corner.
    > >
    > > Is there something additional that has to be done to clone an OS/2
    > > system to a new partition

    >
    > No. not that I am aware of.
    >
    > Of course, since this seems to be a non-LVM enabled OS2 version,
    > it HAS to be in the same relative position on the disk, to make sure
    > it will get the same driveletter as the 'old' one had ...
    >
    > >(ie, are there some boot records that aren't
    > > cloned)? What is the correct way?

    >
    > Well, perhaps there is a problem if you moved it beyond the
    > 1024 cylinder limit now, I don't know. Older versions had several
    > limits in the boot-components ...


    Presumably it would be worth (to make sure) doing an FDISK /NEWMBR to
    make sure that the post-FP134 MBR code is there. And a SYSINSTX (using
    the new one copied to the hard drive by the FixPak) to make sure the
    boot sector is up to date too.



+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2