No CD drive to load operating system - OS2

This is a discussion on No CD drive to load operating system - OS2 ; Help. I just replaced the hard drive on a little Vaio PCG-SR17. he problem is that this computer has no CD or floppy drive from which to load the operating system. I have an external CD drive that connects through ...

  1. No CD drive to load operating system

    Help.
    I just replaced the hard drive on a little Vaio PCG-SR17. he problem is
    that this computer has no CD or floppy drive from which to load the
    operating system. I have an external CD drive that connects through a
    USB but it isn't recognized as a boot drive. In the BIOS it gives the
    options to boot from an ATAPI CD-ROM or a Diskette Drive but neither is
    available.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks

  2. Re: No CD drive to load operating system

    On 6 Apr 2005 21:02:13 -0700, "dynamo52" wrote:

    >Help.
    >I just replaced the hard drive on a little Vaio PCG-SR17. he problem is
    >that this computer has no CD or floppy drive from which to load the
    >operating system. I have an external CD drive that connects through a
    >USB but it isn't recognized as a boot drive. In the BIOS it gives the
    >options to boot from an ATAPI CD-ROM or a Diskette Drive but neither is
    >available.
    >Any Ideas?
    >Thanks

    I had the same issues with my Fujitsu P1032 notebook. After trying
    many methods the only way that worked was to install to the drive
    while mounted in my desktop system. Just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE drive
    convertor off Ebay for a few bucks, then load a VERY MINIMAL system,
    including the SDD video drivers. Remount the drive to the laptop and
    you can load any remaining drivers.

  3. Re: No CD drive to load operating system

    Others have suggested this also and it seems like the simplest
    solution. It's likely what I will do when I have the chance. Thanks for
    the tip.

+ Reply to Thread