how do I re-locate the desktop... - OS2

This is a discussion on how do I re-locate the desktop... - OS2 ; Hi2all, followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability of OS2....... I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put that off for as long as possible as ...

  1. how do I re-locate the desktop...

    Hi2all,

    followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc

    the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    of OS2.......

    I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc

    I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    2 ini files. Is this correct?

    As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    possible?

    Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    have at least my desktop there

    I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    the future, amongst other reasons.

    thanks for any suggestions,
    ---
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  2. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    Britt Turnbull wrote:

    > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > have at least my desktop there
    >
    > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > the future, amongst other reasons.

    Just move the Desktop while it is active to the new place using the WPS.
    Change any SET DESKTOP entry in Config.sys to the new place, and reboot
    to a command line. There move the OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI to the new
    place and change the lines SET USER_INI and SET SYSTEM_INI in Config.sys
    accordingly. Reboot, and it should use the Desktop from the new location.
    I have done it like that several times, always worked fine!
    --
    Good luck!
    Peter.

  3. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    Hi Britt

    Britt Turnbull wrote:
    > Hi2all,
    >
    > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    >
    > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > of OS2.......
    >
    > I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    >
    > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > 2 ini files. Is this correct?

    Yes.

    > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > possible?

    No idea as I prefer to not use eWP/xWP but it is possible with
    eComCenter/WarpCenter.

    > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > have at least my desktop there

    Sorry, have only ever relocated to other directories on boot drive but
    it should be possible.

    I think the best person you could ask would be Cris who is the author of
    MultiDesk/2 as it is his software that I have used which does relocate
    Desktops, ini files, eComCenter/WarpCenter trays etc.

    I think his email is on his webpage http://www.quasarbbs.net/cristiano/

    > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > the future, amongst other reasons.

    Not sure that I understand why you want to have the Desktop on a
    non-boot drive.

    I find it useful to backup my boot drive and am happy to have my 4 user
    Desktops located on my boot drive.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    > Britt Turnbull wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > > have at least my desktop there
    > >
    > > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > > the future, amongst other reasons.

    > Just move the Desktop while it is active to the new place using the WPS.
    > Change any SET DESKTOP entry in Config.sys to the new place, and reboot
    > to a command line. There move the OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI to the new
    > place and change the lines SET USER_INI and SET SYSTEM_INI in Config.sys
    > accordingly. Reboot, and it should use the Desktop from the new location.
    > I have done it like that several times, always worked fine!

    Isn't OS2 wonderful.... everything so simple and straightforward.......
    Many thanks for this tip, and more so for the Mozilla effort....

    mfG
    --
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  5. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    > Hi Britt
    >
    > Britt Turnbull wrote:
    > > Hi2all,
    > >
    > > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    > >
    > > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > > of OS2.......
    > >
    > > I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    > > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    > >
    > > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > > 2 ini files. Is this correct?

    > Yes.

    thanks to Peters' tip it is now done......

    > > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > > possible?

    > No idea as I prefer to not use eWP/xWP but it is possible with
    > eComCenter/WarpCenter.

    have to play with that some more.....

    > > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > > have at least my desktop there

    > Sorry, have only ever relocated to other directories on boot drive but
    > it should be possible.
    >
    > I think the best person you could ask would be Cris who is the author of
    > MultiDesk/2 as it is his software that I have used which does relocate
    > Desktops, ini files, eComCenter/WarpCenter trays etc.
    >
    > I think his email is on his webpage http://www.quasarbbs.net/cristiano/

    this I shall have to look into....

    > > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > > the future, amongst other reasons.

    > Not sure that I understand why you want to have the Desktop on a
    > non-boot drive.
    >
    > I find it useful to backup my boot drive and am happy to have my 4 user
    > Desktops located on my boot drive.

    welllll.... I always have 2 OS2 boot partitions on my drives, one which
    is essentially never touched after the install, so typically I never
    bother to backup my boot drive.... with the exception of the ini files I
    don't think there is anything that changes during normal use....

    there is also the desire that if I run into problems, I wanted to be
    able to boot the maint partition, and use the environment on E.... so if
    the problem migrates I would quickly know that the DT/ini files where
    the culprits, if not then I could look else where

    this issue came about after I installed the xrg005 fixpack, and my mouse
    was updated by smouse, and it went wierd.... I wanted to be able to
    restore the old setup, but the archive of the fixpack would not let me
    backout.... so I figured I could copy everything back from my maint
    partition.... then i thought it would have been much easier to just use
    the maint part until I had such time as to do a proper job.... but then
    I would loose my desktop....

    At the moment i am using Amouse, which is working fine....

    thanks for the response,
    --
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  6. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    Britt Turnbull wrote:
    > Hi2all,
    >
    > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    >
    > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > of OS2.......
    >
    > I probably do a re-install something like annually,

    Why? This is time-wasting and unnecessary. If your desktop has a
    problem, run checkini or unimaint, or restore an archived version.

    > and I always put
    > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    >
    > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > 2 ini files. Is this correct?

    The desktop automatically goes to whatever volume is selected as the
    OS/2 boot volume when you do the install.

    > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > possible?
    >
    > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > have at least my desktop there

    Make drive E the OS/2 boot volume.

    > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > the future, amongst other reasons.

    Get an extra hard drive and backup everything regardless of where your
    desktop is located, would be my advice. Storage costs are insiginficant
    next to the cost of replacing lost data.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  7. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > Britt Turnbull wrote:
    >

    >>Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    >>is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    >>have at least my desktop there
    >>
    >>I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    >>in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    >>the future, amongst other reasons.

    > Just move the Desktop while it is active to the new place using the WPS.
    > Change any SET DESKTOP entry in Config.sys to the new place, and reboot
    > to a command line. There move the OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI to the new
    > place and change the lines SET USER_INI and SET SYSTEM_INI in Config.sys
    > accordingly. Reboot, and it should use the Desktop from the new location.
    > I have done it like that several times, always worked fine!

    This would be fine until some minor glitch caused a 'cannot find
    desktop' error at boot. When that happens, you would probably have to
    reinstall.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.4

  8. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    Britt Turnbull wrote:
    > Hi2all,
    >
    > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    >
    > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > of OS2.......
    >
    > I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    >
    > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > 2 ini files. Is this correct?
    >
    > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > possible?
    >
    > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > have at least my desktop there

    Just copy them there from time to time. It would probably be a good idea
    to make a separate folde for each such backup, however, just in case an
    earlier ves=rsion of your system is better than the current one.

    BTW, the config.sys file is essential. It contains the information that
    starts your system. If you loacte all your apps elsewhere than the
    system partition, the you won't need to reinstall anything with a clean
    install (not that many OS/2 apps are so badly behaved that you can't run
    them from their hoime directory.)

    The *.ini files keep track of file locations, etc (and they fill up with
    irrelevant crap, since whenever you move a file, for example, the
    pointer to the old location is kept instead of deleted. Hank Kelder's
    cleaini tool is essential to maintain the *.ini files IMO.)

    > [...]

  9. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:12:18 UTC, "Britt Turnbull"
    wrote:

    > Hi2all,
    >
    > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    >
    > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > of OS2.......
    >
    > I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    >
    > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > 2 ini files. Is this correct?
    >
    > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > possible?
    >
    > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > have at least my desktop there
    >
    > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > the future, amongst other reasons.
    >
    > thanks for any suggestions,
    > ---
    > Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    > Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    > System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

    AFAIK all you have to do is change the lines

    SET USER_INI=H:\OS2\OS2.INI
    SET SYSTEM_INI=H:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI

    so they point to the appropriate location. Make sure the files are
    there when you try to boot the system........................

    --
    Lorne Sunley

  10. Re: ecs problem (how do I re-locate the desktop...)

    Take your ecs problems to the ecs newsgroup. This one is for IBM OS2.

    In , on 03/30/2005
    at 02:12 PM, "Britt Turnbull" said:

    >Hi2all,

    >followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc

    >the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    >of OS2.......

    >I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    >that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    >desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc

    >I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    >2 ini files. Is this correct?

    >As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    >I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    >possible?

    >Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    >is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    >have at least my desktop there

    >I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    >in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    >the future, amongst other reasons.
    >
    >thanks for any suggestions,
    >---
    >Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    >Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    >System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  11. Re: ecs problem (how do I re-locate the desktop...)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:47:59 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >Take your ecs problems to the ecs newsgroup. This one is for IBM OS2.
    >

    >In , on 03/30/2005
    > at 02:12 PM, "Britt Turnbull" said:
    >
    >>Hi2all,

    >>followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc

    >>the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    >>of OS2.......

    OK, where the hell does he say he's using ecs?

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  12. Re: ecs problem (how do I re-locate the desktop...)

    Mike Ross wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:47:59 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >>Take your ecs problems to the ecs newsgroup. This one is for IBM OS2.
    >>
    >>>Hi2all,

    >>>followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc

    >>>the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    >>>of OS2.......

    > OK, where the hell does he say he's using ecs?

    What relevance does that have? That loon has told me that I run eCS,
    even though I have never even seen it.

    Don't try to apply logic where logic does not apply.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Jan Danielsson

  13. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    > Britt Turnbull wrote:
    > > Hi2all,
    > >
    > > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    > >
    > > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > > of OS2.......
    > >
    > > I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    > > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    > >
    > > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > > 2 ini files. Is this correct?
    > >
    > > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > > possible?
    > >
    > > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > > have at least my desktop there

    > Just copy them there from time to time. It would probably be a good idea
    > to make a separate folde for each such backup, however, just in case an
    > earlier ves=rsion of your system is better than the current one.
    >
    > BTW, the config.sys file is essential. It contains the information that
    > starts your system. If you loacte all your apps elsewhere than the
    > system partition, the you won't need to reinstall anything with a clean
    > install (not that many OS/2 apps are so badly behaved that you can't run
    > them from their hoime directory.)
    >
    > The *.ini files keep track of file locations, etc (and they fill up with
    > irrelevant crap, since whenever you move a file, for example, the
    > pointer to the old location is kept instead of deleted. Hank Kelder's
    > cleaini tool is essential to maintain the *.ini files IMO.)

    Hi wolf,

    thanks for the reply, but it was incredibly simple to do what I want
    with absolutely no hassle, thanks to peters straightforward advice....

    OS2 still has major advantages over alternatives....

    cheers,
    --
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  14. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:12:18 UTC, "Britt Turnbull"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi2all,
    > >
    > > followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc
    > >
    > > the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > > of OS2.......
    > >
    > > I probably do a re-install something like annually, and I always put
    > > that off for as long as possible as I have so many tweeks to the
    > > desktop, that it takes me ages to remember what I did etc
    > >
    > > I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > > 2 ini files. Is this correct?
    > >
    > > As I have been a happy eCs camper these 5 years or so (yep time flies),
    > > I would also like to be able to relocate the ecenter as well, is that
    > > possible?
    > >
    > > Anyway so, how would one go about say locating these on drive E, which
    > > is where I place all my apps and data, so it would make sense to also
    > > have at least my desktop there
    > >
    > > I know I can save/restore the desktop and ini files, but I am interested
    > > in the relocation as this would mean I only have to backup my drive E in
    > > the future, amongst other reasons.
    > >
    > > thanks for any suggestions,
    > > ---
    > > Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    > > Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    > > System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

    > AFAIK all you have to do is change the lines
    >
    > SET USER_INI=H:\OS2\OS2.INI
    > SET SYSTEM_INI=H:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
    >

    > so they point to the appropriate location. Make sure the files are
    > there when you try to boot the system........................

    Hi Lorne,

    yep, life can be unexpectedly simple sometimes....
    it is now done, and all is well with the world....

    thanks for the reply
    --
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  15. [FUD4]Re: ecs problem (how do I re-locate the desktop...)

    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:47:59 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >

    > >Take your ecs problems to the ecs newsgroup. This one is for IBM OS2.
    > >

    > >In , on 03/30/2005
    > > at 02:12 PM, "Britt Turnbull" said:
    > >
    > >>Hi2all,

    > >>followup to : comp.os.os2.setup.misc

    > >>the biggest pain for me is a direct result of the astounding stability
    > >>of OS2.......

    > OK, where the hell does he say he's using ecs?
    >
    > Mike
    > --

    Hi Mike, and Jan,

    I do use eCs and twit of themillenium knows that, however the issue
    was/is and will always remain an OS2 issue, so the relevance of eCs was
    nil.....

    Why you and Jan would want to undertake an intellectual exchange with
    the unarmed is beyond me, it is so to speak a waste of breath.....
    additionally I would ask that you add [FUD4] to the subject so that
    others may live a quiet life and filter this idiot and the responses
    thereto.... and finally, it is somewhat lax to pollute other groups with
    this drivel, hence my followup pointer, I figure your responses belong
    elsewhere than this group....

    Anyway if you do enjoy sparing with the mentally challenge, then far be
    it from me to ask you to stop, but please FUD4 'em

    cheers,
    --
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  16. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:20:25 GMT, Lorne Sunley wrote:
    >> I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    >> 2 ini files. Is this correct?

    > AFAIK all you have to do is change the lines
    >
    > SET USER_INI=H:\OS2\OS2.INI
    > SET SYSTEM_INI=H:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
    >
    > so they point to the appropriate location. Make sure the files are
    > there when you try to boot the system........................

    ....if you do this, just beware of some product installers which attempt to
    update these INI files, and have their location hardcoded to ?:\OS2.

    Bad offenders this way include IBM's Java, HPFS386, and TCP/IP installers.
    Also, parts of the OS/2 install itself. (There's sometimes ways around
    it, but generally you have to dig deep into the install docs, especially
    the WSOD sections; or else do some messy hacking of the FI package files.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  17. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:20:25 GMT, Lorne Sunley wrote:
    > >> I believe one can designate other locations for the the desktop and the
    > >> 2 ini files. Is this correct?

    > > AFAIK all you have to do is change the lines
    > >
    > > SET USER_INI=H:\OS2\OS2.INI
    > > SET SYSTEM_INI=H:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
    > >
    > > so they point to the appropriate location. Make sure the files are
    > > there when you try to boot the system........................

    Hi Alex,

    thanks for the heads up.....

    I tend not to use installers nor warpin etc for precisely this
    reason.... I like to know a little about what is going to happen and
    why....

    If you think about it there must be some degree of association between
    bad installers and if they hard code the ini files....

    Also, the reason i want to do this is precisely because of the effects
    that a bad installer can have.... if they must have the ini files in the
    usual place, I can easily copy the current ones in, let the installer do
    it's thing, save the current ini's, replace them with the new ones, see
    what happens, and either keep the changes, or revert back to my
    origionals....

    > ...if you do this, just beware of some product installers which attempt to
    > update these INI files, and have their location hardcoded to ?:\OS2.
    >
    > Bad offenders this way include IBM's Java, HPFS386, and TCP/IP installers.
    > Also, parts of the OS/2 install itself. (There's sometimes ways around
    > it, but generally you have to dig deep into the install docs, especially
    > the WSOD sections; or else do some messy hacking of the FI package files.)

    actually the plan of action is predicated on allowing the installer to
    create virgin ini files, which i can then at my discretion implement or
    not, so this is what I want anyway....

    --
    Britt - britt os2ecs co uk...
    Winxx.. keep the apps.. junk the OS.. => http://www.ecomstation.com
    System uptime is 15 days 11:58 hrs/mins

  18. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    On 31 Mar 2005 10:05:01 -0600, Alex Taylor wrote:

    >> AFAIK all you have to do is change the lines
    >>
    >> SET USER_INI=H:\OS2\OS2.INI
    >> SET SYSTEM_INI=H:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
    >>
    >> so they point to the appropriate location. Make sure the files are
    >> there when you try to boot the system........................

    > ...if you do this, just beware of some product installers which attempt to
    > update these INI files, and have their location hardcoded to ?:\OS2.
    >
    > Bad offenders this way include IBM's Java, HPFS386, and TCP/IP installers.

    It's actually harder to hard code these things than it is to do it properly.
    What incompetence some programmers display.
    To quote Ulrich Moeller... how much stupidity can there be?!?

  19. Re: [FUD4] ed,s an idiot problem (how do I re-locate the desktop...)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:31:04 UTC, Mike Ross
    wrote:

    -> OK, where the hell does he say he's using ecs?
    ->

    Hello mike,

    Please take into account the source. ed is a known mental case troll.
    He attacks everyone, except his buddy trolls. Just ignore the
    imbecile. And use the [FUD4] tag if you must reply to his drivel.
    See the http://www.mr2ice.com/TMFaq/ for more on ed and his troll
    buddies.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  20. Re: how do I re-locate the desktop...

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:09:57 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:
    >> ...if you do this, just beware of some product installers which attempt to
    >> update these INI files, and have their location hardcoded to ?:\OS2.
    >>
    >> Bad offenders this way include IBM's Java, HPFS386, and TCP/IP installers.

    > It's actually harder to hard code these things than it is to do it properly.
    > What incompetence some programmers display.
    > To quote Ulrich Moeller... how much stupidity can there be?!?

    The common denominator in all of the installers I mentioned is that they
    all use Feature Install. Since I've written a few FI-based installers
    myself, I understand why they do this: FI seems to have no built-in way to
    resolve environment variables (or if there is, I haven't found it). You
    have to write a custom user-exit procedure to do that kind of thing, which
    is a helluva lot more work than just putting in '{BootDrive}\OS2\OS2.INI'.

    The alternative (which I use) is to just make OS2.INI a user-specified
    variable, and rely on the front-end (or the system administrator) to put
    the correct value into the CID response file.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).