USB printing with new box - OS2

This is a discussion on USB printing with new box - OS2 ; With my old box I could use USB to print on my Epson Stylus Photo 830. The new box will not print with the same settings, in config.sys: BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V 2001-10-25 =MCP2 BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V 2001-10-25 BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V 2001-10-25 DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS ...

  1. USB printing with new box

    With my old box I could use USB to print on my Epson Stylus Photo 830.
    The new box will not print with the same settings, in config.sys:

    BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V 2001-10-25 =MCP2
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V 2001-10-25
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V 2001-10-25
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS /V 2000-06-16

    The host controller is VIA VT8235 six port USB 2.0 integrated south bridge.

    The messages in config.sys seem okay. USBres shows: "No USB devices
    connected."

    Could it be that my present drivers are for USB1.1 onl,y whereas USB2.0
    requires newer drivers such as USBEHCI.SYS. And if so, is there a free
    download site?

    Krister
    Lytham, UK

  2. Re: USB printing with new box

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:09:18 +0100, Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >The host controller is VIA VT8235 six port USB 2.0 integrated south bridge.
    >The messages in config.sys seem okay. USBres shows: "No USB devices connected."

    Every USB 2.0 host controller has companion USB 1.1 controllers, which are
    UHCI type for VIA southbridges. As your printer is USB 1.1 only, you don't
    need the USB 2.0 (EHCI) drivers, that are not freely available anyway.
    Your mainboard contains (most likely) _three_ USB 1.1 companion controllers,
    so you should load USBUHCD.SYS three times in config.sys. Alternately you can
    leave config.sys as it is, but try out all 6 USB connectors to find out the
    USB 1.1
    controller related to the first instance of the UHCI driver.

  3. Re: USB printing with new box

    Hi Krister

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > With my old box I could use USB to print on my Epson Stylus Photo 830.
    > The new box will not print with the same settings, in config.sys:
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V 2001-10-25 =MCP2
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V 2001-10-25
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V 2001-10-25
    > DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS /V 2000-06-16
    >
    > The host controller is VIA VT8235 six port USB 2.0 integrated south bridge.

    You should have hcimonit.exe somewhere on your system. Run it to find
    out how many of what controller you have available eg Using my system
    as an example:-

    [h:\]hcimonit
    You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)

    [h:\]

    This results in a config.sys file with these controller entries:-

    BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS

    The above is for a 6 port pci usb2.0 addin card - note that only 4
    drivers are needed for the 6 ports according to hcimonit. I have not got
    enough usb devices to check whether that is correct but have tested by
    connecting my usb mouse to each port in turn and the mouse worked on all
    ports.

    > The messages in config.sys seem okay. USBres shows: "No USB devices
    > connected."

    Good chance that 1 or possibly 2 of the usb ports are active, controlled
    by the loaded USBUHCD.SYS but you have plugged the printer into an
    inactive (no controller loaded) port.

    You could try plugging the printer into each port in turn until you find
    the active port as an alternative to changing anything.

    > Could it be that my present drivers are for USB1.1 onl,y whereas USB2.0
    > requires newer drivers such as USBEHCI.SYS. And if so, is there a free
    > download site?
    >
    > Krister
    > Lytham, UK

    Probably worth updating to the more recent usb drivers.

    Do you have either IBM Passport Advantage (was Software Choice) or
    eComStation? - just about the only way to get those updates unless you
    can find them on a file sharing system such as xnap, limewire or
    something similar.

    Regards

    Pete
    Oldham, UK

  4. Re: USB printing with new box

    R L wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:09:18 +0100, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>The host controller is VIA VT8235 six port USB 2.0 integrated south bridge.
    >>The messages in config.sys seem okay. USBres shows: "No USB devices connected."

    > Every USB 2.0 host controller has companion USB 1.1 controllers, which are
    > UHCI type for VIA southbridges. As your printer is USB 1.1 only, you don't
    > need the USB 2.0 (EHCI) drivers, that are not freely available anyway.
    > Your mainboard contains (most likely) _three_ USB 1.1 companion controllers,
    > so you should load USBUHCD.SYS three times in config.sys. Alternately you can
    > leave config.sys as it is, but try out all 6 USB connectors to find out the
    > USB 1.1
    > controller related to the first instance of the UHCI driver.

    Thanks R L. Added another three lines of BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS, and I am
    happy to report that I can now print.

  5. Re: USB printing with new box

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Krister
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> With my old box I could use USB to print on my Epson Stylus Photo 830.
    >> The new box will not print with the same settings, in config.sys:
    >>
    >> BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V 2001-10-25 =MCP2
    >> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V 2001-10-25
    >> BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V 2001-10-25
    >> DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS /V 2000-06-16
    >>
    >> The host controller is VIA VT8235 six port USB 2.0 integrated south
    >> bridge.

    > You should have hcimonit.exe somewhere on your system. Run it to find
    > out how many of what controller you have available eg Using my system
    > as an example:-
    >
    > [h:\]hcimonit
    > You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    > You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >
    > [h:\]
    >
    > This results in a config.sys file with these controller entries:-
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    >

    > The above is for a 6 port pci usb2.0 addin card - note that only 4
    > drivers are needed for the 6 ports according to hcimonit. I have not got
    > enough usb devices to check whether that is correct but have tested by
    > connecting my usb mouse to each port in turn and the mouse worked on all
    > ports.
    >

    >> The messages in config.sys seem okay. USBres shows: "No USB devices
    >> connected."

    > Good chance that 1 or possibly 2 of the usb ports are active, controlled
    > by the loaded USBUHCD.SYS but you have plugged the printer into an
    > inactive (no controller loaded) port.
    >
    > You could try plugging the printer into each port in turn until you find
    > the active port as an alternative to changing anything.
    >

    >> Could it be that my present drivers are for USB1.1 onl,y whereas
    >> USB2.0 requires newer drivers such as USBEHCI.SYS. And if so, is
    >> there a free download site?
    >>
    >> Krister
    >> Lytham, UK

    > Probably worth updating to the more recent usb drivers.
    >
    > Do you have either IBM Passport Advantage (was Software Choice) or
    > eComStation? - just about the only way to get those updates unless you
    > can find them on a file sharing system such as xnap, limewire or
    > something similar.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete
    > Oldham, UK

    I added three lines of BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS and I can now print again. I
    donīt have hcimonit.exe and donīt have either IBM Passport Advantage or
    eComStation, so I could not add the line BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS, but it
    seems that I did not need it. The SHOW_LNK that came with SPCIINQ
    showed me that I have 1 EHCI controller and 4 UHCI controllers. Thank
    you very much Pete.

    Krister

  6. Re: USB printing with new box

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Krister
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> With my old box I could use USB to print on my Epson Stylus Photo 830.
    >> The new box will not print with the same settings, in config.sys:
    >>
    >> BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V 2001-10-25 =MCP2
    >> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V 2001-10-25
    >> BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V 2001-10-25
    >> DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS /V 2000-06-16
    >>
    >> The host controller is VIA VT8235 six port USB 2.0 integrated south
    >> bridge.

    > You should have hcimonit.exe somewhere on your system. Run it to find
    > out how many of what controller you have available eg Using my system
    > as an example:-
    >
    > [h:\]hcimonit
    > You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    > You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >
    > [h:\]
    >
    > This results in a config.sys file with these controller entries:-
    >
    > BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    > BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    >

    > The above is for a 6 port pci usb2.0 addin card - note that only 4
    > drivers are needed for the 6 ports according to hcimonit. I have not got
    > enough usb devices to check whether that is correct but have tested by
    > connecting my usb mouse to each port in turn and the mouse worked on all
    > ports.

    I wasn't that lucky. I have added lines to Config.sys according to
    hcimonit, but still some of the USB connectors are dead. The others work.

    Is there any way to find out exact information about USB controllers and
    their relation to the connectors (I mean ATX board connectors)?

    Cheers,
    Martin

    >> The messages in config.sys seem okay. USBres shows: "No USB devices
    >> connected."

    > Good chance that 1 or possibly 2 of the usb ports are active, controlled
    > by the loaded USBUHCD.SYS but you have plugged the printer into an
    > inactive (no controller loaded) port.
    >
    > You could try plugging the printer into each port in turn until you find
    > the active port as an alternative to changing anything.
    >

    >> Could it be that my present drivers are for USB1.1 onl,y whereas
    >> USB2.0 requires newer drivers such as USBEHCI.SYS. And if so, is
    >> there a free download site?
    >>
    >> Krister
    >> Lytham, UK

    > Probably worth updating to the more recent usb drivers.
    >
    > Do you have either IBM Passport Advantage (was Software Choice) or
    > eComStation? - just about the only way to get those updates unless you
    > can find them on a file sharing system such as xnap, limewire or
    > something similar.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete
    > Oldham, UK

  7. Re: USB printing with new box

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
> [...]

    >>> there a free download site?
    >>>
    >>> Krister
    >>> Lytham, UK

    >> Probably worth updating to the more recent usb drivers.
    >>
    >> Do you have either IBM Passport Advantage (was Software Choice) or
    >> eComStation? - just about the only way to get those updates unless you
    >> can find them on a file sharing system such as xnap, limewire or
    >> something similar.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete
    >> Oldham, UK

    > I added three lines of BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS and I can now print again. I
    > donīt have hcimonit.exe and donīt have either IBM Passport Advantage or
    > eComStation, so I could not add the line BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS, but it
    > seems that I did not need it. The SHOW_LNK that came with SPCIINQ
    > showed me that I have 1 EHCI controller and 4 UHCI controllers. Thank

    This was too easy. Found out that I could no longer access Internet.
    Eventually I tried eliminating the USBUHCD.SYS entries, and I could
    access Internet again. But print - No. After some further testing I
    concluded that I can have two USBUHC.SYS lines and still access
    Internet, and I can print but only if I connect with the front USB slots
    (would prefer to use the rear USB slots). Checking with SHOW_LNK there
    is on IRQ=11: Display VGA, Serial USB (UHCI), Serial USB (UHCI) and
    Network: Ethernet. Will first try moving the only PCI card (TV card)
    around.

  8. Re: USB printing with new box

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:53:10 +0100, Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >This was too easy. Found out that I could no longer access Internet.
    >Eventually I tried eliminating the USBUHCD.SYS entries, and I could
    >access Internet again. But print - No.

    Most likely an interrupt sharing problem.
    You might try a newer OS2LDR file. The original one delivered
    with MCP2 does not support shared interrupts properly.

  9. Re: USB printing with new box

    Hi Martin

    ----- snip -----

    >> You should have hcimonit.exe somewhere on your system. Run it to find
    >> out how many of what controller you have available eg Using my system
    >> as an example:-
    >>
    >> [h:\]hcimonit
    >> You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    >> You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >>
    >> [h:\]
    >>
    >> This results in a config.sys file with these controller entries:-
    >>
    >> BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    >> BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    >>

    >> The above is for a 6 port pci usb2.0 addin card - note that only 4
    >> drivers are needed for the 6 ports according to hcimonit. I have not
    >> got enough usb devices to check whether that is correct but have
    >> tested by connecting my usb mouse to each port in turn and the mouse
    >> worked on all ports.

    > I wasn't that lucky. I have added lines to Config.sys according to
    > hcimonit, but still some of the USB connectors are dead. The others work.

    Funnily enough ( or not :-) the reason that I am using a USB addin card
    on a VIA KT333 mainboard is that the mainboard has a broken IRQ routing
    table resulting in a very flaky maybe-it-will-maybe-it-won't-work when
    connecting any USB2.0 device. I think it was an early USB2 enabled board
    and BIOS updates have not resolved the problem.

    I discovered this problem when I installed an internal USB2.0 card
    reader and found my system could not detect the card reader without
    several reboots - not a good way to start the day.

    I got a bit fedup with that rather quickly and, having used spiirq and
    pci (both on hobbes) to ascertain the problem, I bought and installed a
    cheap USB2 addin controller card - about 15 uk pounds, 25 us dollars -
    disabled the mainboard usb ports.

    That still did not quite cure the problem so I setup eCS1.2 as a
    "Plug'n'Play" system by selecting Plug'n'Play OS installed in the
    mainboard BIOS and set the Hardware Manager to Full hardware detection
    at every boot.

    I rarely have any problems with usb now. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks the
    card reader does not get recognised during bootup: but that is a vast
    improvement over needing several attempts at booting every day to get
    the reader recognised :-)

    > Is there any way to find out exact information about USB controllers and
    > their relation to the connectors (I mean ATX board connectors)?

    From the mainboard manufacturer maybe?

    On my mainboard only 2 ports were hooked up and there were 2 other
    connectors on the mainboard for connecting extra ports. These are what I
    initially used to connect my card reader (1 connector) and a front usb
    port built into the card reader (2nd connector) - this did require
    consulting both the mainboard and card reader manuals to get the wiring
    connected properly.

    Hope the above is of use.

    Pete

  10. Re: USB printing with new box

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Martin
    >
    > MMI wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Brown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Krister
    >>>

    > ----- snip -----
    >

    >>> You should have hcimonit.exe somewhere on your system. Run it to find
    >>> out how many of what controller you have available eg Using my
    >>> system as an example:-
    >>>
    >>> [h:\]hcimonit
    >>> You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    >>> You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >>>
    >>> [h:\]
    >>>
    >>> This results in a config.sys file with these controller entries:-
    >>>
    >>> BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    >>>

    >>> The above is for a 6 port pci usb2.0 addin card - note that only 4
    >>> drivers are needed for the 6 ports according to hcimonit. I have not
    >>> got enough usb devices to check whether that is correct but have
    >>> tested by connecting my usb mouse to each port in turn and the mouse
    >>> worked on all ports.

    >> I wasn't that lucky. I have added lines to Config.sys according to
    >> hcimonit, but still some of the USB connectors are dead. The others work.

    > Funnily enough ( or not :-) the reason that I am using a USB addin card
    > on a VIA KT333 mainboard is that the mainboard has a broken IRQ routing
    > table resulting in a very flaky maybe-it-will-maybe-it-won't-work when
    > connecting any USB2.0 device. I think it was an early USB2 enabled board
    > and BIOS updates have not resolved the problem.

    Unfortunately, I still don't have a USB 2.0 device to try. All I have
    are USB 1.1 devices: a mouse, a digicam and a memory key. None of these
    devices work in the ports I expect to be 2.0 ports. I have EHCI drivers
    loaded. Gods know why. Perhaps the same problem you have - KT333 board
    (Asus A7V333), otherwise a quite good board).

    > I discovered this problem when I installed an internal USB2.0 card
    > reader and found my system could not detect the card reader without
    > several reboots - not a good way to start the day.
    >
    > I got a bit fedup with that rather quickly and, having used spiirq and
    > pci (both on hobbes) to ascertain the problem, I bought and installed a
    > cheap USB2 addin controller card - about 15 uk pounds, 25 us dollars -
    > disabled the mainboard usb ports.
    >
    > That still did not quite cure the problem so I setup eCS1.2 as a
    > "Plug'n'Play" system by selecting Plug'n'Play OS installed in the
    > mainboard BIOS and set the Hardware Manager to Full hardware detection
    > at every boot.
    >
    > I rarely have any problems with usb now. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks the
    > card reader does not get recognised during bootup: but that is a vast
    > improvement over needing several attempts at booting every day to get
    > the reader recognised :-)
    >

    >> Is there any way to find out exact information about USB controllers
    >> and their relation to the connectors (I mean ATX board connectors)?

    > From the mainboard manufacturer maybe?
    >
    > On my mainboard only 2 ports were hooked up and there were 2 other
    > connectors on the mainboard for connecting extra ports. These are what I
    > initially used to connect my card reader (1 connector) and a front usb
    > port built into the card reader (2nd connector) - this did require
    > consulting both the mainboard and card reader manuals to get the wiring
    > connected properly.

    Well, I have 4 ports on the mainboard and 2 connectors (one 1.1 for 2
    ports, one 2.0 for 2 ports). I had a good idea to use the expansion slot
    with 1.1 connector, so I have four functional ports at the back of my
    box out of six. But still those 2 dead ports bug me.

    Cheers,
    Martin

    > Hope the above is of use.
    >
    > Pete

  11. Re: USB printing with new box

    R L wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:53:10 +0100, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>This was too easy. Found out that I could no longer access Internet.
    >>Eventually I tried eliminating the USBUHCD.SYS entries, and I could
    >>access Internet again. But print - No.

    > Most likely an interrupt sharing problem.
    > You might try a newer OS2LDR file. The original one delivered
    > with MCP2 does not support shared interrupts properly.

    Thanks but I had used the latest kernel dated 2005-03-17

  12. Re: USB printing with new box

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Brown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Krister

    >>> You should have hcimonit.exe somewhere on your system. Run it to find
    >>> out how many of what controller you have available eg Using my
    >>> system as an example:-
    >>>
    >>> [h:\]hcimonit
    >>> You have 3 PCI USB OHCI host controller(s)
    >>> You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)
    >>>
    >>> [h:\]
    >>>
    >>> This results in a config.sys file with these controller entries:-
    >>>
    >>> BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
    >>> BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
    >>>

    >>> The above is for a 6 port pci usb2.0 addin card - note that only 4
    >>> drivers are needed for the 6 ports according to hcimonit. I have not
    >>> got enough usb devices to check whether that is correct but have
    >>> tested by connecting my usb mouse to each port in turn and the mouse
    >>> worked on all ports.

    >>> Good chance that 1 or possibly 2 of the usb ports are active,
    >>> controlled by the loaded USBUHCD.SYS but you have plugged the printer
    >>> into an inactive (no controller loaded) port.
    >>>
    >>> You could try plugging the printer into each port in turn until you
    >>> find the active port as an alternative to changing anything.

    >>> Probably worth updating to the more recent usb drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have either IBM Passport Advantage (was Software Choice) or
    >>> eComStation? - just about the only way to get those updates unless
    >>> you can find them on a file sharing system such as xnap, limewire or
    >>> something similar.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>> Oldham, UK

    >> I added three lines of BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS and I can now print again.
    >> I donīt have hcimonit.exe and donīt have either IBM Passport Advantage
    >> or eComStation, so I could not add the line BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS, but
    >> it seems that I did not need it. The SHOW_LNK that came with SPCIINQ
    >> showed me that I have 1 EHCI controller and 4 UHCI controllers. Thank
    >> you very much Pete.
    >>
    >> Krister

    > This was too easy. Found out that I could no longer access Internet.
    > Eventually I tried eliminating the USBUHCD.SYS entries, and I could
    > access Internet again. But print - No. After some further testing I
    > concluded that I can have two USBUHC.SYS lines and still access
    > Internet, and I can print but only if I connect with the front USB slots
    > (would prefer to use the rear USB slots). Checking with SHOW_LNK there
    > is on IRQ=11: Display VGA, Serial USB (UHCI), Serial USB (UHCI) and
    > Network: Ethernet. Will first try moving the only PCI card (TV card)
    > around.

    This did not work. All the items assigned to an IRQ move together,
    which defeated my purpose. I will put in my old ethernet card for
    internet access and can hopfully keep the 4 lines of USBUHCD.SYS

+ Reply to Thread