Booting from CD - OS2

This is a discussion on Booting from CD - OS2 ; I have a system with two "CD" drives: namely a CD/DVD read-only drive and a CD burner. The CD burner is the secondary master and he CD/DVD is the secondary drive. When the boot process starts, I see the phrase ...

  1. Booting from CD

    I have a system with two "CD" drives: namely a CD/DVD read-only drive and
    a CD burner. The CD burner is the secondary master and he CD/DVD is the
    secondary drive.

    When the boot process starts, I see the phrase "Boot from ATAPI CD ROM:"
    but bootable CDs don't seem to be recognized in either drive. Am I missing
    something? In the setup menu, the boot sequence is CD, then floppy, then
    hard drive.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  2. Re: Booting from CD

    Pierre Jelenc
    ], who wrote in article :

    > I have a system with two "CD" drives: namely a CD/DVD read-only drive and
    > a CD burner. The CD burner is the secondary master and he CD/DVD is the
    > secondary drive.
    >
    > When the boot process starts, I see the phrase "Boot from ATAPI CD ROM:"
    > but bootable CDs don't seem to be recognized in either drive. Am I missing
    > something? In the setup menu, the boot sequence is CD, then floppy, then
    > hard drive.

    Bootable CD != Bootable CD.

    Do you have no-emulation boot CDs?

    Ilya

  3. Re: Booting from CD

    Ilya Zakharevich writes:

    > Bootable CD != Bootable CD.
    >
    > Do you have no-emulation boot CDs?

    I don't know what those are. I've tried old and new OS/2, eCS, Knoppix
    Linux CDs; some of them I know for sure used to boot in that machine, but
    none of them do now.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  4. Re: Booting from CD

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:37:56 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    >I have a system with two "CD" drives: namely a CD/DVD read-only drive

    and
    >a CD burner. The CD burner is the secondary master and he CD/DVD is the

    >secondary drive.

    -snip-

    > Pierre

    Do you mean the CD/DVD reader is secondary slave? What happens if you
    change the reader to master and the burner to slave? This is the
    sequence on my system and it works fine.

    Pete

    --

  5. Re: Booting from CD

    Pierre Jelenc
    ], who wrote in article :
    > Ilya Zakharevich writes:
    > >
    > > Bootable CD != Bootable CD.
    > >
    > > Do you have no-emulation boot CDs?

    > I don't know what those are. I've tried old and new OS/2, eCS, Knoppix
    > Linux CDs; some of them I know for sure used to boot in that machine, but
    > none of them do now.

    You should have written this from the start!

    Knoppix is no-emulation. It boots from non-necessary-first CD-drive
    without a problem (OS/2 may have problems booting from non-first
    CD-drive). If it does not boot, I think nothing will...

    But maybe the BIOS does not support more than one attached CD-drives;
    detach all but one, and retry...

    Sorry,
    Ilya

  6. Re: Booting from CD

    Ilya Zakharevich writes:

    > Knoppix is no-emulation. It boots from non-necessary-first CD-drive
    > without a problem (OS/2 may have problems booting from non-first
    > CD-drive). If it does not boot, I think nothing will...

    Ouch.

    > But maybe the BIOS does not support more than one attached CD-drives;
    > detach all but one, and retry...

    There is no mention of that in the BIOS, but there is only one CD option
    in the section where the boot order is set up. Perhaps it is a hint that
    it does not support more than one, I'll give it a try.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

+ Reply to Thread