Phex - my new favorite P2P - OS2

This is a discussion on Phex - my new favorite P2P - OS2 ; I've fallen in love with this Java P2P program. With Golden Code's Java it works nicely and has a different approach to downloading files. You select the priority order and it goes after the files in that order so you ...

  1. Phex - my new favorite P2P

    I've fallen in love with this Java P2P program. With Golden
    Code's Java it works nicely and has a different approach
    to downloading files. You select the priority order and it
    goes after the files in that order so you end up getting the
    file you wanted most, first.

    I highly recommend it. Currently stable release is
    Phex 2.0.0.76 and available for download at
    http://phex.sourceforge.net

    Setup with Golden Code Java 1.4. goes like this:

    Drag a program template to your desktop.

    Path and File Name:
    X:\java141\jre\bin\javaw_g.exe

    Parameters:
    -jar X:\phex\phex_2.0.0.76\phex.jar

    Working directory:
    X:\phex\phex_2.0.0.76

    Close up the template and click on it to start.

    Phex appears to download files in 100,100 bit segments
    from as many places as it can be found until all bits are
    collected into one file. You can preview movies or listen
    to songs (although it doesn't have a movie viewer or
    MP3 player or the option to click on a file and have z!
    open and run it or click on an MPG and have Kiev open
    it, you can open either z! or Kiev and select the file to
    preview.

    Once collected the file is moved off into a directory
    of your choosing and moves on the the next file in
    your priority list.

    Xnap and Limewire simply download whatever file
    bits are available for any file within your 'wish list' and
    collecting one particular MP3 or large movie file
    can take a very long time (days/weeks). If you have
    200 files listed obtaining just one complete file can
    take forever. Phex otoh goes after the first file in your
    priority list and collects it continuously until it is completed.
    If the file is unavailable, it quickly moves to the second
    file in your priority listing, then the third. And yes, you
    can easily change the priority of a file up or down your
    list.

  2. Re: Phex - my new favorite P2P

    I looked screenshots... Looks very cool! I tried phex two years ago, it
    was not very good, but for now it greatly improved! Will try.

    --
    Bye,
    Eugene. http://eros2.by.ru

  3. Re: Phex - my new favorite P2P

    Eugene Romanenko wrote:
    > I looked screenshots... Looks very cool! I tried phex two years ago, it
    > was not very good, but for now it greatly improved! Will try.

    Tried it. While Phex offer some very nice and useful features (country
    for IPs, shows sources and chunks, requering and some other) it also
    have major misfeature - no metadata support. In LimeWire I can see mp3
    metadata - bitrate, length, artist, album, comments - not just filename.
    And without metadata support it mostly unusable for mp3s.

    But anyway, Phex made big step forward, hope it will be more improved.

    --
    Bye,
    Eugene. http://eros2.by.ru

  4. Re: Phex - my new favorite P2P

    Eugene Romanenko wrote:
    > Eugene Romanenko wrote:
    >
    >> I looked screenshots... Looks very cool! I tried phex two years ago,
    >> it was not very good, but for now it greatly improved! Will try.

    > Tried it. While Phex offer some very nice and useful features (country
    > for IPs,

    Yeah, I like that. I see many people from outside the U.S. (England,
    Brazil, Germany) downloading OS/2 files

    > shows sources and chunks,

    I like that 'chunking' feature. Phex searches everywhere for more
    'chunks' and doesn't give up easily.

    > requering and some other)

    You'd want a P2P to re-que but with Phex it's handled a bit differently
    in that it is que'd and then a determined effort is made to grab. I also
    like the ability to force a host which pushes you up their cue or seeks
    out another host for more chunks.

    > it also
    > have major misfeature - no metadata support.

    You're right there. You grab what you get with MP3s and in the
    early days you'd could expect to get a 24 bit file, etc. Today tho'
    the basic standard is 128 bits which is sufficient for most music.
    Still, if you're determined to get all 190 bits and up then Phex
    makes it a hit or miss. At present I have about 20gig of music
    and don't do much music mining anymore.

    >In LimeWire I can see mp3
    > metadata - bitrate, length, artist, album, comments - not just filename.

    LimeWire's pretty good altho I prefer Xnap over the latest 4.8.1 release.
    Xnap will connect with as many as 20 servers at one time while LimeWire
    sticks to just three or four thus your pathway is often slower with
    LimeWire.
    Not a big deal on a broadband connection but for dialup it means you'll
    have days/weeks of online time just to *hopefully* get one large 100 meg
    (or so) file.

    > And without metadata support it mostly unusable for mp3s.

    Only if you're a stickler for metadata and I can see LimeWire or Xnap
    with an advantage. Phex's advantge is that it actually goes out and
    gets the file you want. This puts the file in your box even if it isn't the
    320bit you were looking for - you can always go after it again. With
    Limewire or Xnap you may be able to find it but unless you see it
    in your download folder, it's just a wish thing.

    > But anyway, Phex made big step forward, hope it will be more improved.

    Yeah, I was hooked on Xnap, fell into LimeWire for awhile but it is
    that priority feature of Phex that keeps me using it. When you go
    after a 1gig movie file and actually get it within a reasonable amount
    of time it makes a big difference. I can still open LimeWire and
    Xnap and see files I've already downloaded with Phex that LimeWire
    and Xnap are still trying to download even tho' I sat running 24/7 for
    months at a time. I probably have 200 sitting in the que and not a
    one of them has more than 10% of the file downloaded. With Phex
    I have about 40 selections and those in the 1, 2, 3 priority position
    download quickly moving the others up into priority position. After
    a week I go mining again and bring that selection list back to 40.

    That's the keeper with Phex, it gets the file.

    I look forward to the next release.