AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup - OS2

This is a discussion on AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup - OS2 ; For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce FX5200 video card). I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    FX5200 video card).

    I ran into DOSCALL!.DLL failure late in the boot sequence, despite
    having applied the following: Expartcp, Danielaīs TESTCFG.SYS, remmed
    the APM devices in config.sys, latest free IBM basedevices, latest
    Danielaīs basedevices, Danielaīs PATCHLDR.EXE and trying many of the
    latest kernels. Still DOSCALL1.DLL trap.

    The solution was to apply the original VGA driver by Alt-F1, F2 and
    SETVGA command. (I had used F3 which installs the GENGRADD driver).
    Found this tip in a ng post from Nov 2003 by Terry (Denver), who had had
    similar problems. Thanks Terry.

    So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes straight
    away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same problem (+ mouse
    not funtioning during the selective install). Need some help or I will
    have to give up OS2.

    Krister
    Lytham, UK

  2. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:50:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    Hallergard wrote:

    > The WPS starts but freezes straight
    > away.

    Boot to a command prompt and use tedit to edit config.sys. Find the line
    SET RESTARTOBJECTS= and remove WARPCENTER from it, save and reboot and
    see if that helps. If it does not, repeat the process and this time,
    scroll down to the end of config.sys and add a new

    SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO

    line to it - the fact that it comes later than the original will mean
    that the first will be ignored.

    If neither of these help then also check popuplog.os2 to see if it has
    anything useful in it - might be worth deleting it then booting to get
    just info from one crash in there.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  3. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Sir:

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:50:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>The WPS starts but freezes straight
    >>away.

    > Boot to a command prompt and use tedit to edit config.sys. Find the line
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS= and remove WARPCENTER from it, save and reboot and
    > see if that helps.

    Did you mean this line:
    SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,WARPCENTER,CON NECTIONS

    If it does not, repeat the process and this time,
    > scroll down to the end of config.sys and add a new
    >
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO
    >
    > line to it - the fact that it comes later than the original will mean
    > that the first will be ignored.
    >
    > If neither of these help then also check popuplog.os2 to see if it has
    > anything useful in it - might be worth deleting it then booting to get
    > just info from one crash in there.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:50:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>The WPS starts but freezes straight
    >>away.

    > Boot to a command prompt and use tedit to edit config.sys. Find the line
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS= and remove WARPCENTER from it, save and reboot and
    > see if that helps. If it does not, repeat the process and this time,
    > scroll down to the end of config.sys and add a new
    >
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO
    >
    > line to it - the fact that it comes later than the original will mean
    > that the first will be ignored.
    >
    > If neither of these help then also check popuplog.os2 to see if it has
    > anything useful in it - might be worth deleting it then booting to get
    > just info from one crash in there.

    Thanks Trevor. I donīt have a line called SET RESTARTOBJECTS= Could it
    be that you think I am installing? I am not, but have cloned a well
    functioning partition from the old box to the new box, and tried to rem
    out things like sound and nic which are different on the new box.

    There is no popupos2.log at all.

    Krister

  5. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:50:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    >> Hallergard wrote:
    >>

    >>> The WPS starts but freezes straight away.

    >> Boot to a command prompt and use tedit to edit config.sys. Find the line
    >> SET RESTARTOBJECTS= and remove WARPCENTER from it, save and reboot and
    >> see if that helps.

    > Did you mean this line:
    > SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS,WARPCENTER,CON NECTIONS
    >
    > If it does not, repeat the process and this time,
    >
    >> scroll down to the end of config.sys and add a new
    >>
    >> SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO
    >>
    >> line to it - the fact that it comes later than the original will mean
    >> that the first will be ignored.
    >>
    >> If neither of these help then also check popuplog.os2 to see if it has
    >> anything useful in it - might be worth deleting it then booting to get
    >> just info from one crash in there.

    Thanks Bill. Took away WARPCENTER from SET AUTOSTART= Same problem,
    i.e. the mouse cursor stuck in the middle of the screen. Only
    difference there was no LAUNCHPAD

  6. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:01:09 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    Hallergard wrote:

    > I donīt have a line called SET RESTARTOBJECTS=

    Try adding it, set to NO.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  7. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    > box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    > Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    > FX5200 video card).
    >
    > So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes straight
    > away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same problem (+ mouse
    > not funtioning during the selective install). Need some help or I will
    > have to give up OS2.
    >
    > Krister
    > Lytham, UK

    I've got the MSI MS-6702 mobo with one of the original A64 3200+ that
    was giving me the exact same problem the first several times I tried to
    boot it.

    As soon as the desktop background color would appear, the machine would
    hang.

    In my case, this turned out to be the exact time when the boot sequence
    system sound would play, and what was happening was the Soundcard driver
    for the Aureal Vortex I I was using could not share IRQ's, and the
    onboard sound built into the mobo wasn't completely disabled in the
    bios,...so when the sound driver would try to push the Vortex, a
    resource conflict locked it up tight,.

    I don't know what all features you have built into your mobo, but I'd go
    through every little integrated feature in the bios, and make sure that
    every feature you are not using is totally disabled..

    They have so many built in features these days, it's hard to keep track
    of all of them, butI would make a concerted offer to go into the bios
    and find everything you are not using, and make sure it's set to off.

  8. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:01:09 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>I donīt have a line called SET RESTARTOBJECTS=

    > Try adding it, set to NO.

    Tried it, but am afraid it did not change anything

  9. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    AntiGates wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    >> box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    >> Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    >> FX5200 video card).
    >>
    >> So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes
    >> straight away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same
    >> problem (+ mouse not funtioning during the selective install). Need
    >> some help or I will have to give up OS2.
    >>
    >> Krister
    >> Lytham, UK

    > I've got the MSI MS-6702 mobo with one of the original A64 3200+ that
    > was giving me the exact same problem the first several times I tried to
    > boot it.
    >
    > As soon as the desktop background color would appear, the machine would
    > hang.
    >
    > In my case, this turned out to be the exact time when the boot sequence
    > system sound would play, and what was happening was the Soundcard driver
    > for the Aureal Vortex I I was using could not share IRQ's, and the
    > onboard sound built into the mobo wasn't completely disabled in the
    > bios,...so when the sound driver would try to push the Vortex, a
    > resource conflict locked it up tight,.
    >
    > I don't know what all features you have built into your mobo, but I'd go
    > through every little integrated feature in the bios, and make sure that
    > every feature you are not using is totally disabled..
    >
    > They have so many built in features these days, it's hard to keep track
    > of all of them, butI would make a concerted offer to go into the bios
    > and find everything you are not using, and make sure it's set to off.

    Thank you Antie. What you describe seems just like what I am getting.
    Have an AMIBIOS (American Megatrends Inc). So I started disabling the
    obvious AC'97 Audio peripheral. No luck. So I disabled all integrated
    peripherals (but had to add back the PATA-IDE and SAPA-IDE Controllers
    to boot). No luck. In the PNP/PCI module I tried changing the P&P
    Aware OS setting, Clear NVRAM and disable PCI IDE Busmaster Controller.
    No luck. In the Advanced Bios Features the only setting I have changed
    from the default is the "Boot to OS2" which I all the time have put to
    Yes. Cannot think of anything else to try.

  10. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    Hallergard wrote:

    > Cannot think of anything else to try.

    REM out the drivers for the soundcard from config.sys? Try resetting to
    VGA mode in case it's your video drivers?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  11. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Sir:

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>Cannot think of anything else to try.

    > REM out the drivers for the soundcard from config.sys? Try resetting to
    > VGA mode in case it's your video drivers?

    Second the above. If you had SNAP installed, the boot option to set to
    VGA will set you to VGA Gradd. Try a command line command of setvga.
    That'll set you to the original VGA drivers, the ones from before Gradd.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Hi

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>Cannot think of anything else to try.

    > REM out the drivers for the soundcard from config.sys?

    Would cleaning up the mmpm2.ini help? - just to remove all traces of
    previous soundcard installation.

    Regards

    Pete

  13. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>Cannot think of anything else to try.

    > REM out the drivers for the soundcard from config.sys? Try resetting to
    > VGA mode in case it's your video drivers?

    Yes I did REM out the soundcard drivers. As i mentioned in the my
    initial post it was the use of VGA mode that solved the DOSCALL1.dll
    problem and brought me on to this problem, so I have used VGA mode for
    all new attempts

  14. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    >> Hallergard wrote:
    >>

    >>> Cannot think of anything else to try.

    >> REM out the drivers for the soundcard from config.sys? Try resetting
    >> to VGA mode in case it's your video drivers?
    >>

    > Second the above. If you had SNAP installed, the boot option to set to
    > VGA will set you to VGA Gradd. Try a command line command of setvga.
    > That'll set you to the original VGA drivers, the ones from before Gradd.

    Have used the original VGA drives since I discoverd that this solved my
    previous problem with DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Have REMMED out the sound
    card and any thing else that I can think of being different from my old
    box hardware wise such as the nic driver.

  15. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC, Krister Hallergard wrote:

    > In the Advanced Bios Features the only setting I have changed
    > from the default is the "Boot to OS2" which I all the time have put to
    > Yes.

    Just to be sure that you didn't already try that: this setting should
    always be set to "No" for any OS/2 >= 3.0 on any BIOS I have seen or
    heard about.
    --
    Greetings,
    Peter.

  16. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>In the Advanced Bios Features the only setting I have changed
    >>from the default is the "Boot to OS2" which I all the time have put to
    >>Yes.

    > Just to be sure that you didn't already try that: this setting should
    > always be set to "No" for any OS/2 >= 3.0 on any BIOS I have seen or
    > heard about.

    Thanks Peter. I have not tried No. Will do straigt away.

  17. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:24:35 +0000, Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >>> REM out the drivers for the soundcard from config.sys? Try resetting
    >>> to VGA mode in case it's your video drivers?
    >>>

    >> Second the above. If you had SNAP installed, the boot option to set to
    >> VGA will set you to VGA Gradd. Try a command line command of setvga.
    >> That'll set you to the original VGA drivers, the ones from before

    Gradd.

    >Have used the original VGA drives since I discoverd that this solved my
    >previous problem with DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Have REMMED out the sound
    >card and any thing else that I can think of being different from my old
    >box hardware wise such as the nic driver.

    I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by a
    mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem. Different
    HW though (Dual Athlon).

    Just offering some more straws... :-)

  18. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:04:15 UTC, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>

    >>> In the Advanced Bios Features the only setting I have changed from
    >>> the default is the "Boot to OS2" which I all the time have put to Yes.

    >> Just to be sure that you didn't already try that: this setting should
    >> always be set to "No" for any OS/2 >= 3.0 on any BIOS I have seen or
    >> heard about.

    > Thanks Peter. I have not tried No. Will do straigt away.

    Tried it, no change. Will stay with No for the time being. Thanks

  19. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    FEEB wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:24:35 +0000, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sir:

    >>>Second the above. If you had SNAP installed, the boot option to set to
    >>>VGA will set you to VGA Gradd. Try a command line command of setvga.
    >>>That'll set you to the original VGA drivers, the ones from before

    > Gradd.
    >
    >>Have used the original VGA drives since I discoverd that this solved my
    >>previous problem with DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Have REMMED out the sound
    >>card and any thing else that I can think of being different from my old
    >>box hardware wise such as the nic driver.

    > I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by a
    > mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem. Different
    > HW though (Dual Athlon).
    >
    > Just offering some more straws... :-)

    Thank you Feeb. I got fed up of seeing that b****y cursor so I remmed
    out VMOUSE.SYS, POINTDD.SYS and MOUSE.SYS. Guess what? The desktop is
    no longer frozen: I can move around with the TAB and the arrows keys.
    Of course cannot live with taht, but now I believe we have found the
    problem.

    There must be a lot of people out there to advice me how to proceed!

    Thanks, Krister

  20. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > FEEB wrote:

    >> Gradd.
    >>
    >>> Have used the original VGA drives since I discoverd that this solved
    >>> my previous problem with DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Have REMMED out the
    >>> sound card and any thing else that I can think of being different
    >>> from my old box hardware wise such as the nic driver.

    >> I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by
    >> a mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem.
    >> Different HW though (Dual Athlon).
    >>
    >> Just offering some more straws... :-)
    >>

    > Thank you Feeb. I got fed up of seeing that b****y cursor so I remmed
    > out VMOUSE.SYS, POINTDD.SYS and MOUSE.SYS. Guess what? The desktop is
    > no longer frozen: I can move around with the TAB and the arrows keys.
    > Of course cannot live with taht, but now I believe we have found the
    > problem.
    >
    > There must be a lot of people out there to advice me how to proceed!
    >
    > Thanks, Krister

    If you have the original MCP 1 disk or eCS 1.0 disk, extract the mouse
    driver and support dlls. Let me see, replace these: mouse.hlp,
    mouse.msg, wpconfig.dll, wpconmri.dll, wpstkmou.dll, wpstkmri.dll,
    mouse.sys, & mouse2.sys. Delete any of the above if you don't find
    them. Also delete smouse.hlp, smouse.msg, & multipt.exe.

    OR I have a test volume at MCP 1 level that I can zip up these files and
    send as an attachment. Sent to me an e-mail and I'll do it.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

+ Reply to Thread