AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup - OS2

This is a discussion on AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup - OS2 ; Krister Hallergard wrote: > AntiGates wrote: > >> Krister Hallergard wrote: >> >>> For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new >>> box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South >>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > AntiGates wrote:
    >
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>
    >>> For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    >>> box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    >>> Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    >>> FX5200 video card).
    >>>
    >>> So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes
    >>> straight away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same
    >>> problem (+ mouse not funtioning during the selective install). Need
    >>> some help or I will have to give up OS2.
    >>>
    >>> Krister
    >>> Lytham, UK

    >> I've got the MSI MS-6702 mobo with one of the original A64 3200+ that
    >> was giving me the exact same problem the first several times I tried
    >> to boot it.
    >>
    >> As soon as the desktop background color would appear, the machine
    >> would hang.
    >>
    >> In my case, this turned out to be the exact time when the boot
    >> sequence system sound would play, and what was happening was the
    >> Soundcard driver for the Aureal Vortex I I was using could not share
    >> IRQ's, and the onboard sound built into the mobo wasn't completely
    >> disabled in the bios,...so when the sound driver would try to push the
    >> Vortex, a resource conflict locked it up tight,.
    >>
    >> I don't know what all features you have built into your mobo, but I'd
    >> go through every little integrated feature in the bios, and make sure
    >> that every feature you are not using is totally disabled..
    >>
    >> They have so many built in features these days, it's hard to keep
    >> track of all of them, butI would make a concerted offer to go into the
    >> bios and find everything you are not using, and make sure it's set to
    >> off.
    >>

    > Thank you Antie. What you describe seems just like what I am getting.
    > Have an AMIBIOS (American Megatrends Inc). So I started disabling the
    > obvious AC'97 Audio peripheral. No luck. So I disabled all integrated
    > peripherals (but had to add back the PATA-IDE and SAPA-IDE Controllers
    > to boot). No luck. In the PNP/PCI module I tried changing the P&P
    > Aware OS setting, Clear NVRAM and disable PCI IDE Busmaster Controller.
    > No luck. In the Advanced Bios Features the only setting I have changed
    > from the default is the "Boot to OS2" which I all the time have put to
    > Yes. Cannot think of anything else to try.

    Krister, one other fact just came back to memory.

    As part of my solution, I had to physically move my sound card to
    another slot... In my MOBO manual it said (roughly) that "PCI slot #2
    and #5 CAN share an IRQ" when really the correct wording shoild have
    been "PCI Slot #2 and #5 MUST share the same IRQ"...and, I had my
    soundcard in slot #2.

    Moving it, fixed the problem.

    Read your manual and see if they say something similar, and if so, make
    sure you do not have the same problem.

    Other than that, I'm tapped out for ideas

  2. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> FEEB wrote:

    >>> Gradd.

    >>> I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by
    >>> a mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem.
    >>> Different HW though (Dual Athlon).
    >>>
    >>> Just offering some more straws... :-)
    >>>

    >> Thank you Feeb. I got fed up of seeing that b****y cursor so I remmed
    >> out VMOUSE.SYS, POINTDD.SYS and MOUSE.SYS. Guess what? The desktop
    >> is no longer frozen: I can move around with the TAB and the arrows
    >> keys. Of course cannot live with taht, but now I believe we have found
    >> the problem.
    >>
    >> There must be a lot of people out there to advice me how to proceed!
    >>
    >> Thanks, Krister

    > If you have the original MCP 1 disk or eCS 1.0 disk, extract the mouse
    > driver and support dlls. Let me see, replace these: mouse.hlp,
    > mouse.msg, wpconfig.dll, wpconmri.dll, wpstkmou.dll, wpstkmri.dll,
    > mouse.sys, & mouse2.sys. Delete any of the above if you don't find
    > them. Also delete smouse.hlp, smouse.msg, & multipt.exe.
    >
    > OR I have a test volume at MCP 1 level that I can zip up these files and
    > send as an attachment. Sent to me an e-mail and I'll do it.

    Thanks Bill for the mouse-drivers, which I installed. Am afraid they
    did not change anything. Actually, realized that I must both REM out
    the mouse drivers and have the line SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO, to be able to
    tab around between the desktop icons.

  3. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    AntiGates wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> AntiGates wrote:

    >>> I've got the MSI MS-6702 mobo with one of the original A64 3200+ that
    >>> was giving me the exact same problem the first several times I tried
    >>> to boot it.
    >>>
    >>> As soon as the desktop background color would appear, the machine
    >>> would hang.
    >>>
    >>> In my case, this turned out to be the exact time when the boot
    >>> sequence system sound would play, and what was happening was the
    >>> Soundcard driver for the Aureal Vortex I I was using could not share
    >>> IRQ's, and the onboard sound built into the mobo wasn't completely
    >>> disabled in the bios,...so when the sound driver would try to push
    >>> the Vortex, a resource conflict locked it up tight,.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know what all features you have built into your mobo, but I'd
    >>> go through every little integrated feature in the bios, and make sure
    >>> that every feature you are not using is totally disabled..
    >>>
    >>> They have so many built in features these days, it's hard to keep
    >>> track of all of them, butI would make a concerted offer to go into
    >>> the bios and find everything you are not using, and make sure it's
    >>> set to off.
    >>>

    >> Thank you Antie. What you describe seems just like what I am getting.
    >> Have an AMIBIOS (American Megatrends Inc). So I started disabling the
    >> obvious AC'97 Audio peripheral. No luck. So I disabled all
    >> integrated peripherals (but had to add back the PATA-IDE and SAPA-IDE
    >> Controllers to boot). No luck. In the PNP/PCI module I tried
    >> changing the P&P Aware OS setting, Clear NVRAM and disable PCI IDE
    >> Busmaster Controller. No luck. In the Advanced Bios Features the only
    >> setting I have changed from the default is the "Boot to OS2" which I
    >> all the time have put to Yes. Cannot think of anything else to try.

    > Krister, one other fact just came back to memory.
    >
    > As part of my solution, I had to physically move my sound card to
    > another slot... In my MOBO manual it said (roughly) that "PCI slot #2
    > and #5 CAN share an IRQ" when really the correct wording shoild have
    > been "PCI Slot #2 and #5 MUST share the same IRQ"...and, I had my
    > soundcard in slot #2.
    >
    > Moving it, fixed the problem.
    >
    > Read your manual and see if they say something similar, and if so, make
    > sure you do not have the same problem.
    >
    > Other than that, I'm tapped out for ideas

    Thanks Anti. Am not sure if I understand you properly. I don´t have
    another audio PCI-card, only the integrated Realtek one. Or do you mean
    that I should move the Realtek card?

  4. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    FEEB wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:24:35 +0000, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sir:

    >>>Second the above. If you had SNAP installed, the boot option to set to
    >>>VGA will set you to VGA Gradd. Try a command line command of setvga.
    >>>That'll set you to the original VGA drivers, the ones from before

    > Gradd.
    >
    >>Have used the original VGA drives since I discoverd that this solved my
    >>previous problem with DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Have REMMED out the sound
    >>card and any thing else that I can think of being different from my old
    >>box hardware wise such as the nic driver.

    > I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by a
    > mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem. Different
    > HW though (Dual Athlon).
    >
    > Just offering some more straws... :-)

    Thanks Feeb. You are definately right that at least part of my problem
    is due to the mouse drivers. What do you mean by downgrading the mouse
    driver - do you mean older version drivers? Tried the MCP1 drivers I
    got from Bill, and they did not work either. Should I used even older
    drivers, such as those from my Warp3 installation FP43 which I have on
    my old box?

  5. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:01:09 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    > Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>I don´t have a line called SET RESTARTOBJECTS=

    > Try adding it, set to NO.

    Thanks Trevor. Have now realized that I can move/arrow between the
    desktop icons if both the mouse drivers are REMMED out and at the same
    time have the line SETRESTARTOBJECTS=NO. Only one of these is not enough.

  6. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:01:09 UTC in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Krister
    >> Hallergard wrote:
    >>

    >>> I don´t have a line called SET RESTARTOBJECTS=

    >> Try adding it, set to NO.
    >>

    > Thanks Trevor. Have now realized that I can move/arrow between the
    > desktop icons if both the mouse drivers are REMMED out and at the same
    > time have the line SETRESTARTOBJECTS=NO. Only one of these is not enough.

    This was maybe premature. With REM on both mouse drivers and SET
    RESTARTOBJECTS=NO the desktop was covered by a window about net
    requester or something similar, so I could not actually see the desktop
    icons. So I am not sure if the desktop was frozen.

    Anyway, decided to REM out everything related to LAN etc. Got a message
    before the WPS started that LANMSGDD could not be opened (even though it
    had been REMMED out), the after the start of the WPS a TCPSTART.CMD
    window which I could cansel to get rid of it, and then a Network
    Messinging window, which pressing enter for the OK button got rid of it.
    Now I could see the desktop icons and could move by using the arrow
    keys. This was with REMMED SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO. Unremming gives the
    same, except that the latter two messages are not received.

  7. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >>> Thank you Feeb. I got fed up of seeing that b****y cursor so I
    >>> remmed out VMOUSE.SYS, POINTDD.SYS and MOUSE.SYS. Guess what? The
    >>> desktop is no longer frozen: I can move around with the TAB and the
    >>> arrows keys. Of course cannot live with taht, but now I believe we
    >>> have found the problem.
    >>>
    >>> There must be a lot of people out there to advice me how to proceed!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Krister

    >> If you have the original MCP 1 disk or eCS 1.0 disk, extract the mouse
    >> driver and support dlls. Let me see, replace these: mouse.hlp,
    >> mouse.msg, wpconfig.dll, wpconmri.dll, wpstkmou.dll, wpstkmri.dll,
    >> mouse.sys, & mouse2.sys. Delete any of the above if you don't find
    >> them. Also delete smouse.hlp, smouse.msg, & multipt.exe.
    >>
    >> OR I have a test volume at MCP 1 level that I can zip up these files
    >> and send as an attachment. Sent to me an e-mail and I'll do it.

    > Thanks Bill for the mouse-drivers, which I installed. Am afraid they
    > did not change anything. Actually, realized that I must both REM out
    > the mouse drivers and have the line SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO, to be able to
    > tab around between the desktop icons.

    No, I don´t need the line SET RESTARTOBJECTS=NO I now realize after
    having remmed out all LAN related items in config.sys. The problem
    definitely seems to be mouse related.

  8. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:26:45 +0000, Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >FEEB wrote:

    >> Gradd.
    >>
    >>>Have used the original VGA drives since I discoverd that this solved my
    >>>previous problem with DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Have REMMED out the sound
    >>>card and any thing else that I can think of being different from my old
    >>>box hardware wise such as the nic driver.

    >> I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by a
    >> mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem.

    Different
    >> HW though (Dual Athlon).
    >>
    >> Just offering some more straws... :-)
    >>

    >Thanks Feeb. You are definately right that at least part of my problem
    >is due to the mouse drivers. What do you mean by downgrading the mouse
    >driver - do you mean older version drivers? Tried the MCP1 drivers I
    >got from Bill, and they did not work either. Should I used even older
    >drivers, such as those from my Warp3 installation FP43 which I have on
    >my old box?

    In my case the problem appeared after installing updated drivers for
    eCS1.1. I had to revert to original drivers.

  9. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    > box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    > Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    > FX5200 video card).
    >
    > I ran into DOSCALL!.DLL failure late in the boot sequence, despite
    > having applied the following: Expartcp, Daniela´s TESTCFG.SYS, remmed
    > the APM devices in config.sys, latest free IBM basedevices, latest
    > Daniela´s basedevices, Daniela´s PATCHLDR.EXE and trying many of the
    > latest kernels. Still DOSCALL1.DLL trap.
    >
    > The solution was to apply the original VGA driver by Alt-F1, F2 and
    > SETVGA command. (I had used F3 which installs the GENGRADD driver).
    > Found this tip in a ng post from Nov 2003 by Terry (Denver), who had had
    > similar problems. Thanks Terry.
    >
    > So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes straight
    > away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same problem (+ mouse
    > not funtioning during the selective install). Need some help or I will
    > have to give up OS2.
    >
    > Krister
    > Lytham, UK

    As I had cloned a well functioning partition from the old box on to the
    new box, there is the suspicion that there is some setting from the old
    box that causes the mouse to freeze. When I got the new box 10 weeks
    agto I did try a fresh install but failed miserable.

    Thought I would have another go with a fresh install. Fixed the
    installation disketts with the patched TESTCFG.SYS and the latest free
    IBM basedevice drivers. Pressing enter on the welcome sreen I kept
    getting this error message: "SYSINST2.EXE failed to return the target
    drive" Tried different compination of IBM and DANI drivers, but the
    same error occured. Once I was lucky though and got into the
    installation program. Despite several attempts later I could not do it
    again!

    There was no mouse support when running the installation program.
    Things seemed normal until after the reboot when I got into the
    configuration page (of among others the NIC) when the screen froze.

    Seems to reinforce the the mouse is one of my problems on the new box.

  10. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    >> box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    >> Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    >> FX5200 video card).
    >>
    >> I ran into DOSCALL!.DLL failure late in the boot sequence, despite
    >> having applied the following: Expartcp, Daniela´s TESTCFG.SYS, remmed
    >> the APM devices in config.sys, latest free IBM basedevices, latest
    >> Daniela´s basedevices, Daniela´s PATCHLDR.EXE and trying many of the
    >> latest kernels. Still DOSCALL1.DLL trap.
    >>
    >> The solution was to apply the original VGA driver by Alt-F1, F2 and
    >> SETVGA command. (I had used F3 which installs the GENGRADD driver).
    >> Found this tip in a ng post from Nov 2003 by Terry (Denver), who had
    >> had similar problems. Thanks Terry.
    >>
    >> So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes
    >> straight away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same
    >> problem (+ mouse not funtioning during the selective install). Need
    >> some help or I will have to give up OS2.
    >>
    >> Krister
    >> Lytham, UK

    > As I had cloned a well functioning partition from the old box on to the
    > new box, there is the suspicion that there is some setting from the old
    > box that causes the mouse to freeze. When I got the new box 10 weeks
    > agto I did try a fresh install but failed miserable.
    >
    > Thought I would have another go with a fresh install. Fixed the
    > installation disketts with the patched TESTCFG.SYS and the latest free
    > IBM basedevice drivers. Pressing enter on the welcome sreen I kept
    > getting this error message: "SYSINST2.EXE failed to return the target
    > drive" Tried different compination of IBM and DANI drivers, but the
    > same error occured. Once I was lucky though and got into the
    > installation program. Despite several attempts later I could not do it
    > again!
    >
    > There was no mouse support when running the installation program. Things
    > seemed normal until after the reboot when I got into the configuration
    > page (of among others the NIC) when the screen froze.
    >
    > Seems to reinforce the the mouse is one of my problems on the new box.

    Managed to install AMOUSE.SYS! So I can finally use Warp4 after 11
    weeks of abstinence. Still have to sort sound and NIC out. Many thanks!

    Krister

  11. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>
    >>> For 10 weeks I have now been without my OS2 4.52 since buying a new
    >>> box(Motherboard MSI6741 with VIA K8T800 chipset and VIA 8237 South
    >>> Bridge, CPU=AMD64 3400+, 1024 MB RAM, SATA 2x200GB drives and GeForce
    >>> FX5200 video card).
    >>>
    >>> I ran into DOSCALL!.DLL failure late in the boot sequence, despite
    >>> having applied the following: Expartcp, Daniela?s TESTCFG.SYS, remmed
    >>> the APM devices in config.sys, latest free IBM basedevices, latest
    >>> Daniela?s basedevices, Daniela?s PATCHLDR.EXE and trying many of the
    >>> latest kernels. Still DOSCALL1.DLL trap.
    >>>
    >>> The solution was to apply the original VGA driver by Alt-F1, F2 and
    >>> SETVGA command. (I had used F3 which installs the GENGRADD driver).
    >>> Found this tip in a ng post from Nov 2003 by Terry (Denver), who had
    >>> had similar problems. Thanks Terry.
    >>>
    >>> So now I have a different problem! The WPS starts but freezes
    >>> straight away. Have tried the F4 Maintenance desktop, but same
    >>> problem (+ mouse not funtioning during the selective install). Need
    >>> some help or I will have to give up OS2.
    >>>
    >>> Krister
    >>> Lytham, UK

    >> As I had cloned a well functioning partition from the old box on to
    >> the new box, there is the suspicion that there is some setting from
    >> the old box that causes the mouse to freeze. When I got the new box
    >> 10 weeks agto I did try a fresh install but failed miserable.
    >>
    >> Thought I would have another go with a fresh install. Fixed the
    >> installation disketts with the patched TESTCFG.SYS and the latest free
    >> IBM basedevice drivers. Pressing enter on the welcome sreen I kept
    >> getting this error message: "SYSINST2.EXE failed to return the target
    >> drive" Tried different compination of IBM and DANI drivers, but the
    >> same error occured. Once I was lucky though and got into the
    >> installation program. Despite several attempts later I could not do
    >> it again!
    >>
    >> There was no mouse support when running the installation program.
    >> Things seemed normal until after the reboot when I got into the
    >> configuration page (of among others the NIC) when the screen froze.
    >>
    >> Seems to reinforce the the mouse is one of my problems on the new box.

    > Managed to install AMOUSE.SYS! So I can finally use Warp4 after 11
    > weeks of abstinence. Still have to sort sound and NIC out. Many thanks!
    >
    > Krister

    Get the testcase kernel that Scott just released or get it from here
    It has many
    fixes that allow booting AMP64 without replacing testcfg.sys or apm.sys.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > AntiGates wrote:
    >
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >>> Thank you Antie. What you describe seems just like what I am
    >>> getting. Have an AMIBIOS (American Megatrends Inc). So I started
    >>> disabling the obvious AC'97 Audio peripheral. No luck. So I
    >>> disabled all integrated peripherals (but had to add back the PATA-IDE
    >>> and SAPA-IDE Controllers to boot). No luck. In the PNP/PCI module I
    >>> tried changing the P&P Aware OS setting, Clear NVRAM and disable PCI
    >>> IDE Busmaster Controller. No luck. In the Advanced Bios Features the
    >>> only setting I have changed from the default is the "Boot to OS2"
    >>> which I all the time have put to Yes. Cannot think of anything else
    >>> to try.

    >> Krister, one other fact just came back to memory.
    >>
    >> As part of my solution, I had to physically move my sound card to
    >> another slot... In my MOBO manual it said (roughly) that "PCI slot #2
    >> and #5 CAN share an IRQ" when really the correct wording shoild have
    >> been "PCI Slot #2 and #5 MUST share the same IRQ"...and, I had my
    >> soundcard in slot #2.
    >>
    >> Moving it, fixed the problem.
    >>
    >> Read your manual and see if they say something similar, and if so,
    >> make sure you do not have the same problem.
    >>
    >> Other than that, I'm tapped out for ideas
    >>

    > Thanks Anti. Am not sure if I understand you properly. I don´t have
    > another audio PCI-card, only the integrated Realtek one. Or do you mean
    > that I should move the Realtek card?

    Well,it looks like the mouse driver was your problem anyway... glad
    you got it sorted out

  13. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >>> As I had cloned a well functioning partition from the old box on to
    >>> the new box, there is the suspicion that there is some setting from
    >>> the old box that causes the mouse to freeze. When I got the new box
    >>> 10 weeks agto I did try a fresh install but failed miserable.
    >>>
    >>> Thought I would have another go with a fresh install. Fixed the
    >>> installation disketts with the patched TESTCFG.SYS and the latest
    >>> free IBM basedevice drivers. Pressing enter on the welcome sreen I
    >>> kept getting this error message: "SYSINST2.EXE failed to return the
    >>> target drive" Tried different compination of IBM and DANI drivers,
    >>> but the same error occured. Once I was lucky though and got into the
    >>> installation program. Despite several attempts later I could not do
    >>> it again!
    >>>
    >>> There was no mouse support when running the installation program.
    >>> Things seemed normal until after the reboot when I got into the
    >>> configuration page (of among others the NIC) when the screen froze.
    >>>
    >>> Seems to reinforce the the mouse is one of my problems on the new box.

    >> Managed to install AMOUSE.SYS! So I can finally use Warp4 after 11
    >> weeks of abstinence. Still have to sort sound and NIC out. Many thanks!
    >>
    >> Krister

    > Get the testcase kernel that Scott just released or get it from here
    > It has many
    > fixes that allow booting AMP64 without replacing testcfg.sys or apm.sys.

    Thanks Bill. Got it already a couple of days ago, when I had run out of
    ideas. But it was the change of mouse driver that did it.

  14. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    FEEB wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:26:45 +0000, Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>FEEB wrote:

    >>>Gradd.

    >>>I may be completely off here, but I had the similar problem caused by a
    >>>mouse driver. Downgrading the mouse driver solved the problem.

    > Different
    >
    >>>HW though (Dual Athlon).
    >>>
    >>>Just offering some more straws... :-)
    >>>

    >>Thanks Feeb. You are definately right that at least part of my problem
    >>is due to the mouse drivers. What do you mean by downgrading the mouse
    >>driver - do you mean older version drivers? Tried the MCP1 drivers I
    >>got from Bill, and they did not work either. Should I used even older
    >>drivers, such as those from my Warp3 installation FP43 which I have on
    >>my old box?
    >>

    > In my case the problem appeared after installing updated drivers for
    > eCS1.1. I had to revert to original drivers.

    I remember having a similar problem with an old version of the AMOUSE
    driver. The latest copy of AMOUSE fixed the problem. Maybe you should
    try it.

    You can get AMOUSE at http://www.nbsoftware.de/

  15. Re: AMD64: Desktop freezes upon startup

    JWeinkam wrote:
    > FEEB wrote:

    >> Different

    >>> Thanks Feeb. You are definately right that at least part of my
    >>> problem is due to the mouse drivers. What do you mean by downgrading
    >>> the mouse driver - do you mean older version drivers? Tried the MCP1
    >>> drivers I got from Bill, and they did not work either. Should I used
    >>> even older drivers, such as those from my Warp3 installation FP43
    >>> which I have on my old box?
    >>>

    >> In my case the problem appeared after installing updated drivers for
    >> eCS1.1. I had to revert to original drivers.
    >>

    > I remember having a similar problem with an old version of the AMOUSE
    > driver. The latest copy of AMOUSE fixed the problem. Maybe you should
    > try it.
    >
    > You can get AMOUSE at http://www.nbsoftware.de/

    I did that a couple of days ago and it solved my problem, thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2