What is OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on What is OS/2 - OS2 ; I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. ...

  1. What is OS/2

    I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    advance in case I get caught up in it.
    D. Trudeau

  2. Re: What is OS/2

    Duane wrote:

    > I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    > used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    > would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    > advance in case I get caught up in it.
    > D. Trudeau

    Why don't you try to Google on the term, and see what you learn? Then,
    if you have more questions, this newsgroup can help.

    Hint: It is doubtful that anyone using OS/2 would also use MSN as anISP
    (Internet Service Provider).

  3. Re: What is OS/2

    Thanks Colin,
    I don't use msn as my isp, I use them for a free mail account,
    actually my ISP ( Verizon) offers it with their service.
    I have seen reference to OS/2 here and there, but never looked into
    it. I have a post in another ng in this tier. I recently setup my
    newsgroups with this isp and started browsing and ended up here, I
    figured this was a good place to ask. Thanks for the suggestion I will
    google it and so some investigation.

    Colin Campbell wrote:
    > Duane wrote:
    >
    >> I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    >> used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    >> would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    >> advance in case I get caught up in it.
    >> D. Trudeau

    > Why don't you try to Google on the term, and see what you learn? Then,
    > if you have more questions, this newsgroup can help.
    >
    > Hint: It is doubtful that anyone using OS/2 would also use MSN as anISP
    > (Internet Service Provider).

  4. Re: What is OS/2

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:17:19 UTC Colin Campbell
    wrote:

    > Duane wrote:
    >
    > > I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    > > used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    > > would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    > > advance in case I get caught up in it.
    > > D. Trudeau

    > Why don't you try to Google on the term, and see what you learn? Then,
    > if you have more questions, this newsgroup can help.
    >
    > Hint: It is doubtful that anyone using OS/2 would also use MSN as anISP
    > (Internet Service Provider).

    OTOH, it would be a perfectly logical place for someone using Winxx to
    post from if he was looking to switch to another OS to replace it.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: What is OS/2

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 04:01:26 GMT, Duane wrote:

    :>I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    :>used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    :>would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    :>advance in case I get caught up in it.

    - If you google for "OS/2 history" you should be able to find an overview
    (sorry, lost my own links for that).
    - A current OEM OS/2 version is a http://www.ecomstation.com/.
    - Then, there's http://www.os2voice.org/ , a users group
    - A famous OS/2 software archive is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/
    - For gaming, see http://www.os2world.com/games/
    - For development, see http://www.netlabs.org/
    - For hardware compatibility, see
    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=os2chlproject

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  6. Re: What is OS/2

    [Posted and e-mailed]

    Here in comp.os.os2.setup.misc, Duane
    spake unto us, saying:

    >I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    >used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    >would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    >advance in case I get caught up in it.

    Here's my own off-the-cuff synopsis:

    OS/2 is a multithreaded single-user operating system which was created
    as a joint OS project between Microsoft and IBM and originally intended
    as the eventual replacement for MS-DOS and PC-DOS on x86 PCs.

    This joint 16-bit OS/2 product was marketed as OS/2 version 1.x.

    Around 1990 or 1991, Microsoft decided to support their own parallel
    Windows development efforts instead of the joint OS/2 effort, and that
    resulted in a not-too-friendly split between the two companies.

    As part of the deal, IBM took sole control of OS/2, rewrote it to use a
    32-bit kernel, wrote a brand new advanced object-oriented desktop (the
    WorkPlace Shell or "WPS"), improved its ability to run DOS software via
    multiple "Virtual DOS Machines", added the ability to run Windows 3.x
    programs, and then released it to the marketplace in the spring of 1992
    as OS/2 2.0.

    The end result was a hit among hobbyists and some business users, and
    for a period of 3-4 years it was by far the most successful competitor
    to Microsoft Windows on the x86 platform, but OS/2 never really gained
    more than 10% or so of the desktop market and maybe 15% of the server
    market, and the combination of Windows NT 3.5, Windows 95, IBM bungling,
    and Microsoft maneuvering ended up driving it almost completely from
    the marketplace.

    Later versions of OS/2 (2.1, OS/2 Warp 3.0, OS/2 Warp 4.0, and now most
    recently eComStation) are all fairly similar, with each newer version
    having incremental improvements over the last.

    You can find a useful FAQ about OS/2 Warp 3 here:

    http://www.mit.edu:8001/activities/o...s2faq0000.html

    Most of what it has to say still applies. This site is also a good
    info site:

    http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  7. Re: What is OS/2

    In article ,
    "Will Honea" wrote:
    >On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:17:19 UTC Colin Campbell
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Duane wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    >> > used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    >> > would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    >> > advance in case I get caught up in it.
    >> > D. Trudeau

    >> Why don't you try to Google on the term, and see what you learn? Then,
    >> if you have more questions, this newsgroup can help.
    >>
    >> Hint: It is doubtful that anyone using OS/2 would also use MSN as anISP
    >> (Internet Service Provider).

    >OTOH, it would be a perfectly logical place for someone using Winxx to
    >post from if he was looking to switch to another OS to replace it.
    >
    >--
    >Will Honea

    on the third hand, let's just hope that in two weeks he's
    not claiming eCS killed his mother.

    --

    -rafe t.
    www.ray-field.com

  8. Re: What is OS/2

    Duane wrote:
    > I'm new to all this and I have no idea what OS/2 is, does,or would be
    > used for. If someone could give me the lowdown in a few paragraphs I
    > would really appreciate it. Either here or to msn e-mail. Thanks in
    > advance in case I get caught up in it.
    > D. Trudeau

    heres the short and skinny on what OS/2 is.

    it is a multi-tasking operating system similar to windows & linux but they
    differ in the way they function.

    different strokes for different people......

+ Reply to Thread