Fed up of FUD - OS2

This is a discussion on Fed up of FUD - OS2 ; Hi Sorry for cross posting, but I have simply followed a posting by a person who sometimes (it appears) goes by the name The OS/2 Guy. I have been viewing these pro/anti ecomstation, these message not only over-populate the advocacy ...

  1. Fed up of FUD

    Hi

    Sorry for cross posting, but I have simply followed a posting by a
    person who sometimes (it appears) goes by the name The OS/2 Guy. I have
    been viewing these pro/anti ecomstation, these
    message not only over-populate the advocacy groups, but also all other
    OS/2 and ecomstation news groups , I am not at all impressed. Surely
    the point should be this, at a time when development of OS/2 and for
    that matter ecomstation is down we need all and every development of
    OS/2 based systems, not simply trash them.

    I have been a user of OS/2 since version 3, which came pre-installed on
    a now defunct Escom (German Brand) computer brought in England. I have
    no illusion that this letter will stop this situation but I have reached
    a point where I feel enough is enough. We need a bit of sanity here,
    such banter in these groups is far from productive and becomes overly
    personal, why not post a note instead like hey I have had this idea that
    would be a really cool feature for OS/2 what do you think, can you help,
    would you like to help etc. Or for that matter I tried this freeware
    Software and would really like to thanks the author for his/her had efforts

    Well that my rant for the day, please keep supporting OS/2 or
    ecomstation, and developing software and drivers.....

    Kindest Regards

    Adrian Suri

    ps

    I have been trying to get visual age to work work with the free stl
    libraries, including the iostream.h and namespace.... but my cpp is not
    as it should be, anyone want to help?????

  2. Re: Fed up of FUD

    adrian suri wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Sorry for cross posting,

    No you're not or you wouldn't have crossposted as you did...

    but I have simply followed a posting by a
    > person who sometimes (it appears) goes by the name The OS/2 Guy.

    There are a great many "imposters" aka "sock puppets" posting
    as "The OS/2 Guy" "OS2 Guy" "OS/2 Guy" "Real OS/2 Guy"
    "Genuine OS/2 Guy" "Best OS/2 Guy" "Oldest OS/2 Guy" "Cutest
    OS/2 Guy" "OS/2 Man" "OS2 Man" "The OS2 Man" "OS2 Aunt"

    None of them are me. I am the official OS/2 Guy.

    I have
    > been viewing these pro/anti ecomstation,

    Yeah, we're sick of it too. Postings regarding OS/2 belong
    in the OS/2 newsgroups. Posting regarding the problematic
    eComStation belong in the eComStation newsgroups.

    eCS Lusers refuse to post them there because nobody visits
    the eComStation newsgroups and those who have purchased
    eCS know that it is a piece of crap.

    these
    > message not only over-populate the advocacy groups, but also all other
    > OS/2 and ecomstation news groups ,

    Oh? So you know there are eComStation newsgroups. Then you
    can understand why *real* OS/2 users object to all these ridiculous
    eComStation pieces of spam appear here in the OS/2 newsgroups.

    I am not at all impressed.

    Neither are we.

    Surely
    > the point should be this, at a time when development of OS/2 and for
    > that matter ecomstation is down we need all and every development of
    > OS/2 based systems, not simply trash them.

    OS/2 users shouldn't give a damn about eComStation because it isn't
    OS/2 at all. It simply 'uses" OS/2 as the base operating system. eCS
    itself is a minor vendor's proprietary problematic product that uses a
    bastardized version of OS/2.

    > I have been a user of OS/2 since version 3,

    I started with 2.0...

    which came pre-installed on
    > a now defunct Escom (German Brand) computer brought in England. I have
    > no illusion that this letter will stop this situation but I have reached
    > a point where I feel enough is enough.

    Ok. So we can assume you won't be back?

    We need a bit of sanity here,
    > such banter in these groups is far from productive and becomes overly
    > personal, why not post a note instead like hey I have had this idea that
    > would be a really cool feature for OS/2 what do you think, can you help,
    > would you like to help etc.

    We do that often. But we also have to wade through phony eCS
    marketing spiels disguised as ridiculous eCS testimonials repeatedly
    by the handful of desperate eCS salesmen who plagued these OS/2
    newsgroups. Why not point your frustration and wrath at them rather
    than whine to *real* OS/2 users about it?

    Or for that matter I tried this freeware
    > Software and would really like to thanks the author for his/her had efforts

    We thank DinkMeister all the time. Dink's software is free. eCS is not
    free - in fact it costs more than OS/2 itself - year after year after year.

    > Well that my rant for the day, please keep supporting OS/2

    We will always support OS/2

    or
    > ecomstation,

    There is no reason to support eComStation because it doesn't
    belong here. Take it to the eComStation newsgroups, please.

    and developing software and drivers.....

    IBM has just released a new OS/2 update called FixPak 5.
    IBM continues to support, enhance, fix, adjust, alter and
    develop drivers and new software. Thank IBM for that.

    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Adrian Suri
    >
    > ps
    >

    > I have been trying to get visual age to work work with the free stl
    > libraries, including the iostream.h and namespace.... but my cpp is not
    > as it should be, anyone want to help?????

    Ummmmmm.... nope.

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  3. Re: Fed up of FUD

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > None of them are me. I am the official OS/2 Guy.

    where You get this attribute 'official'.
    From IBM ? Be shure not.

    or is this from Your self.

    Please give me and the community a answer.

    No answer ---> 'official' is rubbish.

    Regards

    Gerd

    gerd.thier(klammeraffe)muenchen-mail.de
    klammeraffe == at

    Retired in august 1998 after 29 years in IBM germany.

    Running here and orginal licences available, no need to use limewire to
    get licenced software of IBM as I could read in a post from T...
    WSeB, WarpServer Advanced, Warp 4.52, Warp 4, Warp 3 Connect, OS/2 2,11,
    OS/2 2.1, OS/2 1.3 and some PC DOS.
    eCS 1.1 and two times eCS 1.2.

  4. Re: Fed up of FUD

    Gerd Thier wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> None of them are me. I am the official OS/2 Guy.

    > where You get this attribute 'official'.
    > From IBM ?

    Yes. Go ahead. Write to me at IBM and IBM forwards
    it on to me - not to any of the imposters in these newsgroups
    but to me. They not only recognize my right to the moniker
    but provide me with pre-releases, discounted soft and hardware
    and nice letters of "thanks for your continued support of OS/2".

    Must drive guys like you, who hate IBM with a passion, NUTS!
    Obviously they 'retired' you - you didn't retire from them.

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  5. Re: Fed up of FUD

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Gerd Thier wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>> None of them are me. I am the official OS/2 Guy.

    >> where You get this attribute 'official'.
    >> From IBM ?

    > Yes.

    Could You give me an IBM email, please.
    Will verify this with active IBM staff.
    Give this info, go on. Write it here.
    I am still waiting.

    Regards

    Gerd

    gerd.thier(klammeraffe)muenchen-mail.de
    klammeraffe == at

    Retired in august 1998 after 29 years in IBM germany.

    Running here and orginal licences available, no need to use limewire to
    get licenced software of IBM as I could read in a post from T...
    WSeB, WarpServer Advanced, Warp 4.52, Warp 4, Warp 3 Connect, OS/2 2,11,
    OS/2 2.1, OS/2 1.3 and some PC DOS.
    eCS 1.1 and two times eCS 1.2.

  6. Re: Fed up of FUD

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:27:12 +0100, adrian suri wrote:

    :>I have been trying to get visual age to work work with the free stl
    :>libraries, including the iostream.h and namespace.... but my cpp is not
    :>as it should be, anyone want to help?????

    Some people reported that the latest STL worked (with some changes) with
    OpenWatcom. You might want to check out that with google groups. While VAC is
    a nice compiler, OW is actively being developed.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  7. Re: Fed up of FUD

    Thanks Mat

    Out of all these responces one that actually looks beyond the 'fud' and
    tackles real issues dealling with OS/2, though maybe not what I want to
    hear, as I really would like to get VA Running with STL.

    If I post an attempted makefile can anyone give me some pointers....

    Oh year the point of my first letter was not I might add do a replay of
    the very nasty conflicts between anti/pro ecomstation.

    regards

    and " so long and thanks for the fish... "

    Adrian Suri

    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:27:12 +0100, adrian suri wrote:
    >

    > :>I have been trying to get visual age to work work with the free stl
    > :>libraries, including the iostream.h and namespace.... but my cpp is not
    > :>as it should be, anyone want to help?????
    >
    > Some people reported that the latest STL worked (with some changes) with
    > OpenWatcom. You might want to check out that with google groups. While VAC is
    > a nice compiler, OW is actively being developed.
    >
    > Mat Nieuwenhoven

  8. VAC with STL (was Re: Fed up of FUD)

    adrian suri wrote:

    ** rest removed

    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Adrian Suri
    >
    > ps
    >

    > I have been trying to get visual age to work work with the free stl
    > libraries, including the iostream.h and namespace.... but my cpp is not
    > as it should be, anyone want to help?????

    Adrian,

    Did you try OpenWatcom with STL 4.6.2 ?

    --
    M Greene Voice Memeber #1356 (ICQ:319474014)

    IRC (MikeG):
    irc.va.webbnet.info #os/2 #learnc++ #os/2warp irc.ecomstation.com #eCS

    OS/2 Stuff : http://members.cox.net/greenemk/os2/
    My OpenWatcom : http://members.cox.net/mikeos2/

  9. Re: VAC with STL (was Re: Fed up of FUD)

    Michael Greene wrote:
    > adrian suri wrote:
    >
    > ** rest removed
    >
    >> Kindest Regards
    >>
    >> Adrian Suri
    >>
    >> ps
    >>

    >> I have been trying to get visual age to work work with the free stl
    >> libraries, including the iostream.h and namespace.... but my cpp is
    >> not as it should be, anyone want to help?????

    > Adrian,
    >
    > Did you try OpenWatcom with STL 4.6.2 ?

    not yet will get it this week and give it a go, thanks

+ Reply to Thread