With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product - OS2

This is a discussion on With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product - OS2 ; With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage accounts", IBM has effectively killed off eComStation in anticipation of the ending of the OS/2 OEM contract with Managed Systems aka the fake "Serenity Systems of Texas". What IBM has done ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product

    With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    accounts", IBM has effectively killed off eComStation in anticipation
    of the ending of the OS/2 OEM contract with Managed Systems aka
    the fake "Serenity Systems of Texas".

    What IBM has done with this policy change is to assure OS/2 users
    they will continue to automatically receive updates, new enhancements,
    bug fixes, new drivers, new software, new Java releases for many
    years to come.

    eComStation Lusers who invested in the folly product are now stuck
    with a dead product and will have to start 'from scratch' with IBM to
    return to the OS/2 fold. Those *real* OS/2 users who were wise enough
    to roll their Software Choice subscriptions over to Passport Advantage
    will continue to see OS/2 supported for many years to come.

    IBM has made this policy change to reach out to eComStation
    Lusers who will no longer have access to OS/2 after January 1,
    2006 (just nine months away) when the OS/2 OEM contract
    between IBM and Managed Systems (aka the fake Serenity
    Systems of Texas) is completed.

    Thank you IBM for your continued support of us "little guys"
    who love our OS/2 operating systems.
    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  2. Re: With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product [FUD4]

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    > accounts", IBM has effectively killed off eComStation in anticipation
    > of the ending of the OS/2 OEM contract with Managed Systems aka
    > the fake "Serenity Systems of Texas".
    >
    > What IBM has done with this policy change is to assure OS/2 users
    > they will continue to automatically receive updates, new enhancements,
    > bug fixes, new drivers, new software, new Java releases for many
    > years to come.
    >
    > eComStation Lusers who invested in the folly product are now stuck
    > with a dead product and will have to start 'from scratch' with IBM to
    > return to the OS/2 fold. Those *real* OS/2 users who were wise enough
    > to roll their Software Choice subscriptions over to Passport Advantage
    > will continue to see OS/2 supported for many years to come.
    >
    > IBM has made this policy change to reach out to eComStation
    > Lusers who will no longer have access to OS/2 after January 1,
    > 2006 (just nine months away) when the OS/2 OEM contract
    > between IBM and Managed Systems (aka the fake Serenity
    > Systems of Texas) is completed.
    >
    > Thank you IBM for your continued support of us "little guys"
    > who love our OS/2 operating systems.

    Until the OEM contract is ended by IBM, eCS users have access to all
    updates, without additional, extra or yearly charge. Any eCS user would
    financially be better off to get the updates from SSI (for free), as
    long as the OEM contract is valid, instead of stepping into PA now
    (costs if you have a warp4 license: over $200 for reinstatement, then
    over $70 yearly; warp4 license: over $300).

    And, since the end of the OEM contract has only been announced by TM, I
    won't hold my breath on that...

    For those that do step into PA, be warned that it will be renewed yearly
    automatically from now, but IBM still plans to provide support through
    31 December 2006 for PA customers, so hold your eye on
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/ and, if nothing
    changes, deactivate your PA before you'll end up receiving nothing for
    the yearly billed subscription.

  3. Re: With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product

    As an eCS users I had to pay for access to 'all updates' so lying to
    the reader or potential customer is harmful to eCS. The PA
    subscription is actually better because IBM is telling us all that they
    will support OS/2 for many years to come. I renewed my PA a few months
    ago because I couldn't get the updates from Serenity when IBM released
    them.

    Your 'strategy' claim is blown out of the water now that IBM is making
    PA accounts renewable automatically. IBM's a respectable company and
    this new announcement is assurance of their continued future support.

    I don't know what I'll do with eCS at the end of this year but I've
    still got OS/2 and my PA is current.

    OS/2 Man

  4. Re: With PA - [FUD4] Now Considered a Dead Product

    Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever wrote:
    > As an eCS user

    Number of people fooled: 0

    Sorry Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever. Try again. Better
    yet, don't.

  5. Re: With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product

    The only people being fooled here are those you keep trying to keep
    from learning the truth. IBM's decision to not renew the contract with
    Serenity means the end of OS/2 in eComstation. We eCS users will have
    to depend on those who have Passport Advantage accounts and are willing
    to let us steal their offerings. Others will have to steal the updates
    using peer to peer applications. They will never really belong to us
    as long as we use eCS.

    I guess what it means most of all is that those who bought eCS will
    walk away from OS/2 altogether.

    OS/2 Man

  6. Re: [FUD4] Now Considered a Dead Product

    Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever wrote:
    > The only people being fooled here

    Nobody is being fooled here. Your idiocy isn't even convincing enough
    to fool yourself, because if you believed any of what you wrote, you'd
    have no reason to harp on about it and constantly SPAM the newsgroups.

  7. Re: With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product

    Again, you are attempting to fool people with your lies Marty. You
    have avoided the truth with every response you have written.

    Does Serenity provide IBM's OS/2 updates on the day of release to IBM's
    OS/2 customers or does Serenity have a problem with lag time of weeks,
    oftentimes months? I've presented the examples: SS/2 v1.7.1, IBM Web
    Browser, IBM's latest Java release, IBM's latest USB drivers. Always
    late, never available when announced.

    You keep lying to people and avoiding the question. You are the fool
    Marty.

    OS/2 Man

  8. Re: With PA - doesn't change anything

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    > accounts",

    So far, I haven't seen anything which indicates this policy has anything
    to do with OS/2, eComStation, or any other product. So, why the frenzy?

    I see no change to the IBM strategy document regading OS/2.
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/

    Specifically, quoting from the document: "through 31 December 2006 for
    Passport Advantage customers with active Software Maintenance". So,
    according to IBM .. support for PA users ends 31 December 2006 .. which
    is the same message IBM has been providing publicly since May 2000 and
    earlier than that with disclosures in place.

    Short story .. I just don't see where anything changed. But I have a
    theory on why the frenzy from "Tim", ed, and other sock puppets. There
    is likely some good news coming for eComStation users, so the frenzy is
    pre-emptive obfuscation. Folks who have been around for awhile have seen
    this before.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems Internationalthrough 31 December 2006 for Passport
    Advantage customers with active Software Maintenance

  9. Re: With PA - it changes anything and kills eCS

    Bob StJohn wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    >> accounts",

    > So far, I haven't seen anything which indicates this policy has anything
    > to do with OS/2, eComStation, or any other product. So, why the frenzy?

    Let's face it, you can't afford to admit this new IBM PA Renewal policy
    is of any value to the OS/2 user. In America, where you can't sell eCS,
    there are consumer protection laws. You cannot offer a service, in this
    case an "OS/2 Maintenance Contract" that provides no maintenance.
    Nor can you offer to renew such a contract if said contract's services
    are non-existent. You know this quite thoroughly which is why you
    have been forced to sell eCS outside the U.S. borders clear over
    in "The Netherlands" where your only distributor resides. That distributor
    can sell and steal without fear of U.S. consumer protection laws.

    That same distributor was rebuked by the European Consumers
    Union and threatened with closure if they continued to falsely
    advertise eComStation as "Warp 5". Or do you conveniently
    forget that ever happened?

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  10. Re: With PA - Now Considered a Dead Product

    Marty wrote:
    > Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever wrote:
    >
    >> As an eCS user

    > Number of people fooled: 0
    >
    > Sorry Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever. Try again. Better
    > yet, don't.

    Umm... better try again. I post out of AT&T. Your eCS Luser
    is posting out of NetZero. File an abuse complaint with NetZero
    and shut the guy down. You'll be saving us both the headache
    of dealing with him.

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  11. Re: eCS Now Considered a Dead Product

    OS/2 Man wrote:
    > I don't know why you lie like this. USB drivers were not available at
    > the Serenity web site within the day. I was there every day for a week
    > and they weren't there. And now you say they weren't there because
    > they had to test them with eCS? Why would they have to do that and why
    > don't they do that before they are released? IBM sends me an email
    > announcement of upcoming releases and Serenity should receive the same
    > thing. Why do we eCS users have to wait months and months before we
    > can ever get them? Is that just another 'no-brainer'?
    >
    > We just can't rely on Serenity to be there for us. We invest in them
    > and they let us down. I'm lucky to have my PA account because I was
    > able to get the USB drivers the day they were released, not weeks
    > later.
    >
    > OS/2 Man

    Dear God Man, give up on eCS and sell it off to some schlep stupid
    enough to take it off your hands. You've got your PA access and
    that's all you need to keep current with OS/2. That won't happen
    with eCS - ever!
    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  12. Re: With PA - eCS Now Considered a Dead Product

    Well Tim as you are "Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy" you
    must have the ear of the big-wigs at IBM and so have access to
    information denied us lesser mortals.

    So can you give a solemn undertaking or promise to stop your tirade
    against eCS if IBM does not terminate the OEM contract?

    A simple yes or no is sufficient to answer this.

    Regards

    Dennis.

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    > accounts", IBM has effectively killed off eComStation in anticipation
    > of the ending of the OS/2 OEM contract with Managed Systems aka
    > the fake "Serenity Systems of Texas".
    >
    > What IBM has done with this policy change is to assure OS/2 users
    > they will continue to automatically receive updates, new enhancements,
    > bug fixes, new drivers, new software, new Java releases for many
    > years to come.
    >
    > eComStation Lusers who invested in the folly product are now stuck
    > with a dead product and will have to start 'from scratch' with IBM to
    > return to the OS/2 fold. Those *real* OS/2 users who were wise enough
    > to roll their Software Choice subscriptions over to Passport Advantage
    > will continue to see OS/2 supported for many years to come.
    >
    > IBM has made this policy change to reach out to eComStation
    > Lusers who will no longer have access to OS/2 after January 1,
    > 2006 (just nine months away) when the OS/2 OEM contract
    > between IBM and Managed Systems (aka the fake Serenity
    > Systems of Texas) is completed.
    >
    > Thank you IBM for your continued support of us "little guys"
    > who love our OS/2 operating systems.

  13. Re: [FUD4] Now Considered a Dead Product

    Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever wrote:
    >>
    >>> As an eCS user

    >> Number of people fooled: 0
    >>
    >> Sorry Tim/Nick/Ron/Jeff/Larry/Susan/Meng/whoever. Try again. Better
    >> yet, don't.

    > Umm... better try again.

    No need for either of us to try again.

    You lied that the posted drivers and dates from the eCS site weren't the
    most current. You aren't fooling anyone. Your idiocy isn't even
    convincing enough to fool yourself, because if you believed any of what
    you wrote, you'd have no reason to harp on about it and constantly SPAM
    the newsgroups.

  14. Re: With PA - doesn't change anything

    Bob StJohn wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    >> accounts",

    > So far, I haven't seen anything which indicates this policy has anything
    > to do with OS/2, eComStation, or any other product. So, why the frenzy?
    >
    > I see no change to the IBM strategy document regading OS/2.
    > http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/
    >
    > Specifically, quoting from the document: "through 31 December 2006 for
    > Passport Advantage customers with active Software Maintenance". So,
    > according to IBM .. support for PA users ends 31 December 2006 .. which
    > is the same message IBM has been providing publicly since May 2000 and
    > earlier than that with disclosures in place.
    >
    > Short story .. I just don't see where anything changed. But I have a
    > theory on why the frenzy from "Tim", ed, and other sock puppets. There
    > is likely some good news coming for eComStation users, so the frenzy is
    > pre-emptive obfuscation. Folks who have been around for awhile have seen
    > this before.

    Indeed. We saw the same nonsense around the time of every major release
    of eCS. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that you are on the verge of
    closing a TCO deal with IBM, where they will continue to maintain a
    tailored version of OS/2 for SSI.

  15. Re: eCS Now Considered a Dead Product [FUD4]

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > OS/2 Man wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know why you lie like this. USB drivers were not available at
    >> the Serenity web site within the day. I was there every day for a week
    >> and they weren't there. And now you say they weren't there because
    >> they had to test them with eCS? Why would they have to do that and why
    >> don't they do that before they are released? IBM sends me an email
    >> announcement of upcoming releases and Serenity should receive the same
    >> thing. Why do we eCS users have to wait months and months before we
    >> can ever get them? Is that just another 'no-brainer'?
    >>
    >> We just can't rely on Serenity to be there for us. We invest in them
    >> and they let us down. I'm lucky to have my PA account because I was
    >> able to get the USB drivers the day they were released, not weeks
    >> later.
    >>
    >> OS/2 Man

    > Dear God Man, give up on eCS and sell it off to some schlep stupid
    > enough to take it off your hands. You've got your PA access and
    > that's all you need to keep current with OS/2. That won't happen
    > with eCS - ever!

    Well, in fact it's a good idea to keep the eCS, as PA won't cover OS/2
    as of 31 december 2006, as stated clearly on
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/
    Nobody (but some fool) has announced that SSI will be gone by then.

  16. Re: With PA - doesn't change anything

    In <4222a9f6$0$23564$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 02/27/2005
    at 11:18 PM, Bob Stjohn said:

    >The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >> With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    >> accounts",

    >So far, I haven't seen anything which indicates this policy has anything
    >to do with OS/2, eComStation, or any other product. So, why the frenzy?

    >I see no change to the IBM strategy document regading OS/2.
    >http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/

    Well there is one new addition; on the website right under the ISV name
    SSI, IBM has noted in italics that things are subject to change without
    notice.

    -->There might be a message in there for you.

    >Specifically, quoting from the document: "through 31 December 2006 for
    >Passport Advantage customers with active Software Maintenance". So,
    >according to IBM .. support for PA users ends 31 December 2006 .. which
    >is the same message IBM has been providing publicly since May 2000 and
    >earlier than that with disclosures in place.

    >Short story .. I just don't see where anything changed. But I have a
    >theory on why the frenzy from "Tim", ed, and other sock puppets. There
    >is likely some good news coming for eComStation users, so the frenzy is
    >pre-emptive obfuscation. Folks who have been around for awhile have seen
    >this before.

    >Regards,
    >Bob St.John
    >Serenity Systems Internationalthrough 31 December 2006 for Passport
    >Advantage customers with active Software Maintenance

  17. Re: With PA - doesn't change anything

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    > Well there is one new addition; on the website right under the ISV name
    > SSI, IBM has noted in italics that things are subject to change without
    > notice.
    >
    > -->There might be a message in there for you.

    It would appear that you agree, the change in PA has no effect on any
    product. As to the disclaimer, don't know why you missed it before. It's
    always been there. It is standard disclaimer speak, found all over the
    IBM web site, packaging, licenses, and so forth. You'll also find such
    disclaimers in technical pubs, including Redbooks.

    But ... you care to "google", you'll find that I have often said that
    IBM's lack of commitment to OS/2 is the largest sales inhibitor. Vendors
    dealing with OS/2, including me, would be delighted if there was a more
    positive message coming from IBM. But .. it's not. See the strategy
    document.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  18. Re: With PA - it changes nothing

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob StJohn wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>> With the announcement of 'automatic renewal of Passport Advantage
    >>> accounts",

    >> So far, I haven't seen anything which indicates this policy has
    >> anything to do with OS/2, eComStation, or any other product. So, why
    >> the frenzy?

    > Let's face it, you can't afford to admit this new IBM PA Renewal policy
    > is of any value to the OS/2 user.

    Please explain the value the change in auto renewal to PA has to any
    product distributed through PA. I won't even limit you to OS/2. While
    this may change the terms and conditions regarding PA, it doesn't seem
    to effect the terms and conditions of any product offering.

    It seems like you and ed are just grabbing at straws .... again.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  19. Re: With PA - it changes everything

    Bob StJohn wrote:

    > Please explain

    No explanation is needed, the fact that you keep changing
    the subject line, keep whining that your product isn't as bad
    as they say, refuse to acknowledge your failure as a minor
    vendor, and fear of those six eCS Lusers who are apt to
    abandon you is explanation enough.
    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  20. Re: With PA - does change everything

    Bob StJohn wrote:

    > It would appear that you agree, the change in PA has no effect

    Coming from a man with a vested interest in a well known "it ain't
    selling product I gotta baffle these guys with more baloney"
    problematic product, it is obvious PA has made a tremendous
    effect on your six eCS Lusers. Whining, crying, screaming their
    heads off at you in the eCS Forums because you conned them.

    We told them you would and now it comes to fruition.