IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers - OS2

This is a discussion on IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers - OS2 ; It is quite pleasing to see two of the infamous eCS Salesmen, including Mr. Boob himself, running about like chickens with their heads cut off over the IBM announcement that Passport Advantage subscriptions will be automatically renewed. Marty with his ...

  1. IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers

    It is quite pleasing to see two of the infamous eCS Salesmen,
    including Mr. Boob himself, running about like chickens with their
    heads cut off over the IBM announcement that Passport Advantage
    subscriptions will be automatically renewed. Marty with his silly
    claims that IBM is killing off OS/2 [again]. Boob with his claim
    that his virtual outhouse storefront will somehow receive an IBM
    miracle and see a renewal of his OS/2 OEM contract. And the
    familiar eCS salesman with a new sockpuppet while posting out
    of Supernews with his NON-eCS system (WindowsXP no less).

    These eCs Lusers are not only desperate but they are sadly pathetic.

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  2. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > It is quite pleasing to see two of the infamous eCS Salesmen,
    > including Mr. Boob himself, running about like chickens with their
    > heads cut off over the IBM announcement that Passport Advantage
    > subscriptions will be automatically renewed.

    Automatically, perhaps .. but not at 'no charge'. So, I guess I should
    take your advice, wise up and move people to 1.2, Then charge them for a
    12 month maintenance agreement.

    OK .. if you say that's more reasonable, I'll consider it.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems

  3. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers

    Bob StJohn wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> It is quite pleasing to see two of the infamous eCS Salesmen,
    >> including Mr. Boob himself, running about like chickens with their
    >> heads cut off over the IBM announcement that Passport Advantage
    >> subscriptions will be automatically renewed.

    > Automatically, perhaps .. but not at 'no charge'.

    Lessee.. Preview was $99. eCS v1.0 was $300. eCS v1.1 was $300.
    eCS v1.2 was and remains $300. Total cost for just three years of
    scamming: $999 aka $1,000plus with shipping.

    I'd rather pay the $10-$50 yearly subscription fee to Passport
    Advantage and get a *real* operating system supported by
    a *real* company with storefronts all over America selling
    a product within the U.S. borders.

    > Then charge them for a
    > 12 month maintenance agreement.

    You already do that, you just give it a new version number
    for the same old piece of crap you been pushing from Day One.

    > ... I'll consider it.

    No need to consider it, you've already done it and then some.

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  4. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob StJohn wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is quite pleasing to see two of the infamous eCS Salesmen,
    >>> including Mr. Boob himself, running about like chickens with their
    >>> heads cut off over the IBM announcement that Passport Advantage
    >>> subscriptions will be automatically renewed.

    >> Automatically, perhaps .. but not at 'no charge'.

    > Lessee.. Preview was $99. eCS v1.0 was $300. eCS v1.1 was $300.
    > eCS v1.2 was and remains $300. Total cost for just three years of
    > scamming: $999 aka $1,000plus with shipping.
    >
    > I'd rather pay the $10-$50 yearly subscription fee to Passport
    > Advantage

    Whoa, cowboy! LOL ... Come with me to yesteryear where we join two OS/2
    Warp 4 users. One is attending WarpTech in Arizona in May 2000 where she
    opts to buy eComStation 1.0 for a show special of $79. She receives a
    preview based on IBM's first yet to be released convenience pack.

    Nobody "bought" the Preview .. it wasn't for sale. Folks bought 1.0 and
    received the Preview as a place holder. The Preview included the yet to
    be released Convenience Packm which would require a SWC subscription
    ($180), also HOBlink X11 (SRP about $200), Smart Suite ($180 for the
    upgrade price, more for new users), InJoy dialer (what .. $40 to $60).

    So, the Warp 4 user buying eComStation at WarpTech spent less that $100,
    got quite a package of software, nice if she needed it, and is still
    entitled to no charge udpates. The other Warp 4 user got SWC for $180.
    In May of 2002, would have had to buy SWC again, another $180. in May
    2004 .. gonna have to buy something again .. SWC for a third $180? or
    the support agreement through PA .. once in 2004 and again in 2005 for
    $120 (two renewals).

    So, the IBM offering would cost that user about $500 up to the point ..
    but the eComStation user paid less than $100 .. and the eComStation user
    gets the same IBM updates, drivers, and fixes.

    eComStation user .. $100 .. IBM distribution, about $500. That's the
    fact, Jack. In addition to the IBM updagtes, which were provided at no
    extra charge, eComStation users have had the option of some upgrades.
    Many have seen the value of the upgrades, but the user wasn't faced with
    the churn of an expiration date and renewal.

    You seem to have grossly exaggerated the cost of eComStation . $100 in
    2000, still active today, while misrepresenting the IBM offering
    available from 2000 to 2004, SWC, $180 for two years.

    If someone wants to get the IBM distribution, more power to them. I
    think the current PA offering is better than what was available in years
    past. But folks who read the strategy put out by IBM understand that IBM
    is saying no upgrades, no new features. Maintenance only. That is the
    story IBM put on its web site.

    SSI is continuing to invest in and upgrade eComStation. Users are free
    to assign their own value to that. You want to assign a negagtive value,
    it's up to you. But many OS/2 users, this being an OS/2 newsgroup, see
    value.

    The recent voting by real OS/2 users is the third time eComStation was
    voted best commercial software of the year by OS/2 users. Third time it
    received the honor. And the products which came in second and third are
    included in the eComStation distribution. And while something like
    InnoTek's excellent WebPack is freely available for personal use. The
    eComStation license removes the personal use restriction ...

    So, as we used to say, that's for this marketing moment.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  5. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal Ticks Off eCS Lusers

    Bob StJohn wrote:

    > Whoa, cowboy! LOL ... where she
    > opts to buy eComStation 1.0 for a show special of $79.

    So what you're admitting here is that all six sales of eCS you've
    been lucky enough to con have taken place at "show specials".
    Meansys, your only distributor and outside the U.S. consumer
    jurisdiction in faraway "The Netherlands" is still trying to sell the
    eCS package at over $300.

    Thanks for this revealing moment and thanks for continue to
    return which is caused by your fear the six eCS Lusers you
    currently have are going to bolt over to IBM and sign up for
    a free Passport Advantage with it's easy yearly OS/2 renewal.

    That's got to have you eating Tums right about now...
    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  6. Re: OS2World Awards

    Bob StJohn wrote:

    > The recent voting by real OS/2 users is the third time eComStation was
    > voted best commercial software of the year by OS/2 users. Third time it
    > received the honor. And the products which came in second and third are
    > included in the eComStation distribution.

    Perhaps it's semantics, but the "SNAP Drivers by SciTech Software"
    included in eComStation is IBM's SNAP/se OEM version.

  7. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is not free

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > going to bolt over to IBM and sign up for
    > a free Passport Advantage with it's easy yearly OS/2 renewal.

    The "free" part doesn't get you anything - anyone looking to follow your
    advice is going to be sorely disappointed.

  8. Re: OS2World Awards

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > Bob StJohn wrote:
    >
    >> The recent voting by real OS/2 users is the third time eComStation was
    >> voted best commercial software of the year by OS/2 users. Third time
    >> it received the honor. And the products which came in second and third
    >> are included in the eComStation distribution.

    > Perhaps it's semantics, but the "SNAP Drivers by SciTech Software"
    > included in eComStation is IBM's SNAP/se OEM version.

    No .. it's a fair statement. Thanks for catching it.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  9. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is killing eCS

    Don Hills wrote:

    > Note the way he worded it - he's not actually wrong, just misleading.

    Yet you seem to have no problem with a minor third party vendor
    telling his potential customers that he is selling "Warp 5" and then
    literally advertising his product as "Warp 5" leading the European
    Consumers Union to levy fines against the distributor allowing such
    false advertising and putting them on a short leash to closure if they
    lie again.

    Or the very same minor third party vendor telling consumers
    that his is the only product that can provide JFS and that only
    his company can sell OS/2 after January 1, 2000. You seem
    to forget the outright false and misleading claims of an eCS
    killer application called "Wisemachine" which would set the
    world of computing on its head. You don't say a word about
    the "RealPlayer for OS/2" graphical claim on the eCS box
    when no such product existed in the past or in the future.

    You don't scream word one about the false claim that "eCS is the
    successor of OS/2" when there is no successor whatsoever because
    OS/2 is very much alive and being sold by the owner, IBM.

    Managed Systems aka the fake "Serenity Systems of Texas" has
    more than 37 documented public lies and misnomer marketing
    statements.

    All of those lies are glossed over, washed away, ignored by the
    eCS investor, including you Don Hills, because you can't afford to
    have the truth about your investment revealed. You'd rather lie
    to the potential customer, help reel them in financially, and then
    when the truth comes to light make ridiculous claims like "but
    RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and should be available
    soon..."

    A Passport Advantage account is free and my statement is
    accurate and truthful. We all know that IBM sells a service
    called an "OS/2 maintenance contract" and that includes an
    "OS/2 software subscription" at a minimal cost which is renewed
    automatically at each contact completion. The OS/2 customer
    is free, at any time, to withdraw from the contract or to ask that
    the contract should not be renewed.

    It is that automatic renewal that has killed eComStation because
    with the policy change IBM is stating clearly they believe in
    their OS/2 customers and ensure those customers will continue
    to receive support and new drivers, updates, enhancements,
    software, Java, and more.

    Your eCS product is dead as of January 1, 2006, yet the *real*
    OS/2 user will continue to receive support for their *real* OS/2
    operating system.

    eCS Lusers have to be pissed off because they now realize
    that to continue using OS/2 they'll be forced to return to IBM and
    the coveted Passport Advantage account. Is it going to cost them?
    Yes. Had they not swayed from IBM and OS/2, had they had
    faith that IBM would continue to support their operating system
    of choice, then they *and you* would be paying a minimal yearly
    subscription fee.

    Managed Systems aka the fake "Serenity Systems of Texas" is
    moving you away from OS/2 and right into the arms of Microsoft.
    Go there now. Don't waste another day or dollar because you'll
    never be happy with OS/2 or IBM or eCS for that matter.
    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  10. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is not free [FUD4]

    In article <8AkUd.33918$ya6.7496@trndny01>, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >And get this, just like before if a country is served with Passport
    >Advantage it means you ca get OS2 from IBM there.

    Yes, you can get PA. (I have it.) No, you can't get OS/2 from IBM. (IBM
    won't sell it to you, You need to find a reseller that is prepared to deal
    with the hassle.) Already proven last time we went round this. Next
    please...

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

  11. Re: RealPlayer for OS/2

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > ridiculous claims like "but RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development
    > and should be available soon..."

    That is a ridiculous claim - who made it (can you provide a source)?

    > with the policy change IBM is stating clearly they believe in
    > their OS/2 customers and ensure those customers will continue
    > to receive support and new drivers, updates, enhancements,
    > software, Java, and more.

    Where are they making explicit promises about what will be included?
    Potential customers want to know!

  12. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is not free [FUD4]

    In , on 02/28/2005
    at 04:37 PM, dmhills@attglobal.net (Don Hills) said:

    >In article <8AkUd.33918$ya6.7496@trndny01>, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >>And get this, just like before if a country is served with Passport
    >>Advantage it means you ca get OS2 from IBM there.

    >Yes, you can get PA. (I have it.) No, you can't get OS/2 from IBM. (IBM
    >won't sell it to you, You need to find a reseller that is prepared to
    >deal with the hassle.) Already proven last time we went round this. Next
    >please...

    No Donny you asshole -->You didn't prove IBM does not sell OS2 down under.
    But hey, I'd like you show us something in writing that says the passport
    advantage program that sells OS2 every where else in the world -- doesn't
    down under.

    We went through this before and you lost that time too. But hey try again.
    -->Or grow up and get over your anger at IBM for dumping you out the
    door. Which is the real source you whining here about IBM.

    PS: IBM has a history of weeding out the dumb****s. So ponder why you are
    here whining, instead of working -->where you could log on and download
    the latest copies of OS2 from IBM.

  13. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is not free [FUD4]

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    > PS: IBM has a history of weeding out the dumb****s.

    Like other big companies, IBM has a history of shuffling "dumb****s"
    around rather than weeding them out (no offense intended to Don or other
    IBM employees, whether former or current).

  14. Re: RealPlayer for OS/2

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> ridiculous claims like "but RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and
    >> should be available soon..."

    > That is a ridiculous claim - who made it (can you provide a source)?

    Hell, look on the box Mensys ships eCS v1.2 in. The RealPlayer logo
    is in plain view with the words in bold print "includes RealPlayer for
    OS/2". It's an outright lie. Menno was the first Mensys employee to
    publicly state "RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and should
    be available to the eCS user within a few months..." That was back
    in October, 2004.

    A more recent phony "it's in development" claim by Jeramie Samphere
    was immediately exposed when he posted it.

    >> with the policy change IBM is stating clearly they believe in
    >> their OS/2 customers and ensure those customers will continue
    >> to receive support and new drivers, updates, enhancements,
    >> software, Java, and more.

    > Where are they making explicit promises about what will be included?
    > Potential customers want to know!

    Why in the announcement of 'renewal' itself. OS/2 "Maintenance Contract"
    clearly states support for new drivers, updates, enhancements, software,
    Java and more. The whole purpose of the IBM OS/2 Maintenance Contract
    is to ensure the new items are funneled to the IBM customer, of which the
    Passport Advantage account holder is contracting with IBM to obtain, further
    maintenance. Brazil has several Enterprise companies who hold nearly
    a million OS/2 desktops, Germany has the same and these large contract
    holders seek, want, need new drivers, new features, new enhacements,
    software, Java, and more. As a contract holder every Passport Advantage
    customer is entitled to anything realeased for another OS/2 contract holder.

    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  15. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is of course free

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <8AkUd.33918$ya6.7496@trndny01>, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >
    >>And get this, just like before if a country is served with Passport
    >>Advantage it means you ca get OS2 from IBM there.

    > Yes, you can get PA. (I have it.) No, you can't get OS/2 from IBM. (IBM
    > won't sell it to you, You need to find a reseller that is prepared to deal
    > with the hassle.) Already proven last time we went round this. Next
    > please...

    Geez, I don't know why you lie like this. It certainly makes you look
    stupid. With any OS/2 Maintenance Contract you can request the
    latest release of OS/2 be sent to you for free, via Airborne Express
    as part of the contract itself. For that matter you can download the
    thing at any time as many times as you want.

    Let's get a grip here Don. Lying outrightly like this only hurts the
    eCS customer, certainly not the OS/2 customer.
    --
    Tim Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy

  16. Re: IBM's Auto PA Renewal is not free [FUD4]

    In , on 02/28/2005
    at 04:59 AM, Steve Wendt said:

    >letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >> PS: IBM has a history of weeding out the dumb****s.

    >Like other big companies, IBM has a history of shuffling "dumb****s"
    >around rather than weeding them out (no offense intended to Don or other
    >IBM employees, whether former or current).

    If you say so! I know really big companies that by policy find reasons to
    dump 10% of the staff every year, if they haven't met some moving
    performance target. Its keeps the other 90% focused.

    Funny how some former IBMer's here do the most whining and state the most
    half-truths. -->They seems to have agenda that doesn't care if the truth
    is run over along the way.

    In don's case, there is something wrong with a character who claims that
    Passport Advantage can;t deliver OS2 down under -->when there (1) no
    statement from IBM that this is so, and (2) other people have in fact
    reported buy OS2 from IBM down under.

  17. Re: RealPlayer for OS/2

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:03:12 UTC, The OS/2 Guy
    wrote:

    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    > > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > >
    > >> ridiculous claims like "but RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and
    > >> should be available soon..."

    > > That is a ridiculous claim - who made it (can you provide a source)?

    > Hell, look on the box Mensys ships eCS v1.2 in. The RealPlayer logo
    > is in plain view with the words in bold print "includes RealPlayer for
    > OS/2". It's an outright lie. Menno was the first Mensys employee to
    > publicly state "RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and should
    > be available to the eCS user within a few months..." That was back
    > in October, 2004.
    >
    > A more recent phony "it's in development" claim by Jeramie Samphere
    > was immediately exposed when he posted it.
    > >
    > >> with the policy change IBM is stating clearly they believe in
    > >> their OS/2 customers and ensure those customers will continue
    > >> to receive support and new drivers, updates, enhancements,
    > >> software, Java, and more.

    > > Where are they making explicit promises about what will be included?
    > > Potential customers want to know!

    > Why in the announcement of 'renewal' itself. OS/2 "Maintenance Contract"
    > clearly states support for new drivers, updates, enhancements, software,
    > Java and more. The whole purpose of the IBM OS/2 Maintenance Contract
    > is to ensure the new items are funneled to the IBM customer, of which the
    > Passport Advantage account holder is contracting with IBM to obtain, further
    > maintenance. Brazil has several Enterprise companies who hold nearly
    > a million OS/2 desktops, Germany has the same and these large contract
    > holders seek, want, need new drivers, new features, new enhacements,
    > software, Java, and more. As a contract holder every Passport Advantage
    > customer is entitled to anything realeased for another OS/2 contract holder.

    Oh yes, IBM says it clearly:

    OS/2 Support: IBM plans to provide Technical Support
    (product-specific, task oriented software and hardware assistance) for
    OS/2 Warp 4 Convenience Packages and for Warp Server for e-business
    Convenience Packages through 31 December 2006 for Passport Advantage
    customers with active Software Maintenance.

    Or in other words: PA ruins out for OS/2 at the last day of December
    of the year 2006. PA for products like linux or Windows goes on. But
    with December 31. 2006 PA for OS/2 is out, finish, ended.

    Read the original:

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  18. Re: RealPlayer for OS/2

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    >>> ridiculous claims like "but RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and
    >>> should be available soon..."

    >> That is a ridiculous claim - who made it (can you provide a source)?

    > Hell, look on the box Mensys ships eCS v1.2 in. The RealPlayer logo
    > is in plain view with the words in bold print "includes RealPlayer for
    > OS/2". It's an outright lie. Menno was the first Mensys employee to
    > publicly state "RealPlayer for OS/2 is in development and should
    > be available to the eCS user within a few months..." That was back
    > in October, 2004.

    Got a link? Looking on Google, the only thing I found was this (more
    accurate sounding) post from you:

    (33) Serenity's false marketing eCS packaging: The package for eCS
    v1.2 displays a picture of "RealPlayer" and lies to the potential
    customer with the implication that a version of RealPlayer for OS/2 is
    included in the eCS v1.2 product. No such product exists.

    The RealPlayer logo was to indicate that a Win32 version was included,
    along with Odin. I won't argue about what the implications may have
    been. If I remember correctly, the logo was covered over for 1.2.

    > A more recent phony "it's in development" claim by Jeramie Samphere
    > was immediately exposed when he posted it.

    Again, a link would be better proof.

    >> Where are they making explicit promises about what will be included?
    >> Potential customers want to know!

    > Why in the announcement of 'renewal' itself. OS/2 "Maintenance Contract"
    > clearly states support for new drivers, updates, enhancements, software,
    > Java and more.

    But it doesn't explicitly promise anything, does it? Only a vague
    "whatever we decide to do."

    > As a contract holder every Passport Advantage customer is entitled
    > to anything realeased for another OS/2 contract holder.

    The large customers that might pay for significant development are more
    likely to have a TCO than Passport Advantage. I expect IBM would put
    any updates in the main line, but they aren't obligated to.

+ Reply to Thread