Warp4 and Linux and win98 - OS2

This is a discussion on Warp4 and Linux and win98 - OS2 ; So how does that go again? os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?Or does the linux go on a logical? And the warp 4 can't format can it, or , did I miss ...

  1. Warp4 and Linux and win98

    So how does that go again?

    os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?Or does the linux go on a logical?

    And the warp 4 can't format can it, or , did I miss something?

    --
    Thanks,

    That Guy

  2. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    Sir:

    That Guy wrote:
    > So how does that go again?
    >
    > os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?€õ�Or does the linux go on a logical?
    >
    > And the warp 4 can't format can it, or , did I miss something?

    Warp 3 or later can go into a half gigabyte logical volume. Create
    three primaries, first one cylindar in size for bootmanager, one about
    50 miB for Windows, and another about the same size for Linux. Then
    create logical volumes; 500MiB volume for OS/2, a 20 GiB volume for
    Windows, a 20 GiB volume for Linux, a data volume for OS/2, a
    application volume for OS/2, a Swap volume for Linux, and a usr volume
    for Linux. Maybe a few others. If you are using LVM on OS/2, you must
    create the partitions using LVM. Never use the Linux or Windows tools
    to do this important step. The small primaries will hold the boot code
    for Windows or Linux or OS/2 (in the form of Boot Manager).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 04:09:08 UTC, That Guy wrote:

    : So how does that go again?
    :
    : os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?

    From my experience, W98 must go on the first primary partition, so
    when I had that setup the disk was Boot Manager / W98 primary / Warp 4
    primary / everything else.

    I'm impressed by your 7 terabyte setup, by the way.

    Ian
    --

  4. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 04:09:08 UTC, That Guy wrote:

    > So how does that go again?
    >
    > os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?Or does the linux go on a logical?
    >
    > And the warp 4 can't format can it, or , did I miss something?

    OS/2 BM 1 zylinder (7MB)
    C: PRIMARY win XP; 2GB would be enough for anything on the CD
    /boot PRIMARY about 50 MB linux boot (GRUB or LILO)
    D: extended wincrap data size as you likes
    you can move swapper and spool here too
    to give C: more room for DLLs and something
    else wincrap needs on the system drive even
    as you installs apps on other drives

    e: exteded 1 GB recommended eCS/MCVP/WARP system
    f: extended size as you likes OS/2 data

    / extended Linux whatever distibution, size as you likes
    /swap extended Linux swap

    I would NOT prefere WARP 4.0 or older as they have real problems with
    partiton type 0F wincrap requires for extended partioton. MCP/eCS
    1.0/1.1 + Fixpack4 + LVM fix + os2ldr+os2krnl 14.100c or newer or eCS
    1.2 will handle that fine.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  5. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    In <>, "Ian Johnston"
    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 04:09:08 UTC, That Guy wrote:
    >
    > : So how does that go again?
    > :
    > : os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb pr>
    > From my experience, W98 must go on the first primary partition, so
    > when I had that setup the disk was Boot Manager / W98 primary / Warp 4
    > primary / everything else.
    >
    > I'm impressed by your 7 terabyte setup, by the way.
    >
    > Ian
    > --

    Yes hehe just out by segate 49.95 after rebate...
    --
    Thanks,

    That Guy

  6. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:06:43 UTC "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 04:09:08 UTC, That Guy wrote:
    >
    > : So how does that go again?
    > :
    > : os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?
    >
    > From my experience, W98 must go on the first primary partition, so
    > when I had that setup the disk was Boot Manager / W98 primary / Warp 4
    > primary / everything else.
    >
    > I'm impressed by your 7 terabyte setup, by the way.

    I almost always run a DOS partition as the first primary. The actual
    case for what you state is that W98 must go on the first ACTIVE
    primary. If you hide the DOS partition, Winxx installs to the first
    active primary. Subtle distinction.

    --
    Will Honea

  7. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:13:49 UTC, "Will Honea"
    wrote:

    : I almost always run a DOS partition as the first primary. The actual
    : case for what you state is that W98 must go on the first ACTIVE
    : primary. If you hide the DOS partition, Winxx installs to the first
    : active primary. Subtle distinction.

    At one time I tried BM / Warp 3 (primary c / W98 (primary c and
    W98 hated it. Reversing the order of the two primaries (only one of
    which was ever visible) got it working. But I like the idea of a DOS
    partition - presumably with appropriate drivers it lets you fix
    problems on the other boot partitions.

    Ian

    --

  8. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:02:47 UTC "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:13:49 UTC, "Will Honea"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : I almost always run a DOS partition as the first primary. The actual
    > : case for what you state is that W98 must go on the first ACTIVE
    > : primary. If you hide the DOS partition, Winxx installs to the first
    > : active primary. Subtle distinction.
    >
    > At one time I tried BM / Warp 3 (primary c / W98 (primary c and
    > W98 hated it. Reversing the order of the two primaries (only one of
    > which was ever visible) got it working. But I like the idea of a DOS
    > partition - presumably with appropriate drivers it lets you fix
    > problems on the other boot partitions.

    The only time I ever got into trouble with the partition order was
    with older BIOS versions where I sometimes ran into boot problems. As
    for DOS, I consider it to be the best damned hardware debugger around.
    Today's big drives give it fits - I have had no luck at all once the
    drive size exceeds 8 gig.

    --
    Will Honea

  9. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    In <>, "William L. Hartzell" wrote :

    > Sir:
    >
    > That Guy wrote:
    > > So how does that go again?
    > >
    > > os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?€õ�Or does the linux go on a logical?
    > >
    > > And the warp 4 can't format can it, or , did I miss something?
    > >

    > Warp 3 or later can go into a half gigabyte logical volume. Create
    > three primaries, first one cylindar in size for bootmanager, one about
    > 50 miB for Windows, and another about the same size for Linux. Then
    > create logical volumes; 500MiB volume for OS/2, a 20 GiB volume for
    > Windows, a 20 GiB volume for Linux, a data volume for OS/2, a
    > application volume for OS/2, a Swap volume for Linux, and a usr volume
    > for Linux. Maybe a few others. If you are using LVM on OS/2, you must
    > create the partitions using LVM. Never use the Linux or Windows tools
    > to do this important step. The small primaries will hold the boot code
    > for Windows or Linux or OS/2 (in the form of Boot Manager).
    > --
    > Bill
    > Thanks a Million!

    win98se + RH5.2 + Warp4
    20gb hd lba, award bios v4.51pg

    ok first go through and then:

    started with installing Warp4. installed boot manager made a 200mb partion for linux 5.2, 500mb partion for win98se then. 500 mb logical for Warp4 added them to bootmanager, then kept making 5gb partions and 2gb to be formated as DOS and left freesapce for Linux.

    After installing warp4 and then fixpack 15 formated two of the 5gb partions as hpfs and 2gb as FAT 16. then went on to install linux. Ok I used diskdurid to delete the partion made I for the linux root then added/re-created it assigned it root. then from the remaining free space made /usr, /usr/local, /usr/src, swap 125mb, /var. Ok, going pass format and install to lilo. Installed it not on the MBR and on reboot. Bootmanager came up and I went on to linux fine just fine, just that there is no support for my matrox millenium agp with xfree86 ;( So after shutdown and reboot. I go back to OS/2 through the BM and it say can't find the file d:\os2\system\country.sys then I got the system stopped message and kput...

    I don't remember if I went back through install process to get to fdisk, If I let it go to advance install then fdisk or if i stopped at the f3 screen but. I got the red screen error message...

    So I go back to diskdurid and deleted the linux partions. And I go back to the Warp4 install to OS/2 fdisk and started over.

    This go round after creating all partions with OS/2 fdisk that is leaving no freespace made the one for linux. I used linux fdisk to change the partion types. And as far as I can tell this is the only program that will do this...

    Ok now I get to lilo and try not put it on the MBR but I get an error message. When I try to skip it too. Then after reboot and try to got linux from the bootmanager it says partion is not formated. Ok but now when I go to Warp4 install I can get to fdisk and it shows that D: logical is showing as C: so I make a primary active and then that straightens that out. After going back to linux install with the partions still changed I choose workstaion install which just installs lilo on the MBR with questions asked... I have come to the following guess after trying other things:

    Give up on bootmanager but use OS/2 fdisk to make
    -
    Primarys
    RH 200mb
    Win98se 500mb
    Warp4 500mb
    -
    Logicals
    Warp4 progs data 5000mb
    mo' Warp4 dtat 5000mb
    Fat 16 2000mb
    Win progs and data and bunch of 2000mb partions cause I can't any of thing larger to be recognized win98. Or am I just choosing the wrong type with linux fdisk? I went with win95 fat 32 lba. Anyone get this version of l' fdisk to change 5000mb partion type to something win98se will work with?
    -
    The rest for linux then istall RH then add the other bootable partions to lilo and thats that.

    yes yes, I know. I have downloaded fedra core... but, for now I wanna get this to work.
    --
    Thanks, That Guy
    ++++

  10. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:49:59 UTC, That Guy wrote:

    > In <>, "William L. Hartzell" wrote :
    > >
    > > Sir:
    > >
    > > That Guy wrote:
    > > > So how does that go again?
    > > >
    > > > os/2 2gb prim then bootmanager then windows 5000gb prim then Linux 2000gb prim ?€õ�Or does the linux go on a logical?
    > > >
    > > > And the warp 4 can't format can it, or , did I miss something?

    You'll need:

    - primary 7 MB OS/2 Bootmanager
    LVM/fdisk uses free space to create BM
    it will appear in an primary partition then
    C: primary 2 GB Windows (any kind)
    c: primary 7 MB /boot
    7 MB stands for 1 zylinder, the same size
    BM gets created. This is the minimal size
    a partiton can be on modern hard disks
    When you likes to create your own kernel
    and will have multiple alternatives for
    boot you would create a partiton about
    50 MB in size to have a chance for.
    D: logical ?? GB windows data
    size depends on your usage
    e: logical ?? GB OS2/eCS data
    size depends on your usage
    f: logical 1 GB OS2/eCS system. 0.5 GB is minimum.
    1 GB is comfortable, giving you room
    for fixes, spool, swapper, blind
    default install for anything the system
    comes with.
    g: logical 20 GB /
    linux root. depending on available disk
    space it can be bigger.
    gives you room enough to install the full
    distribution, /temp and enough free space
    to work and store many data.
    h: logical ? GB /swap
    linux swapper. should be at least 2 times
    RAM or more in size
    optionally, makes only sense if you have more than one physical disk
    installed. Splitting linux in more partitons makes no sense otherwise.
    i: logical ?? GB /usr
    linux user space
    ...... more linux

    Remark:
    You should use OS2 fdisk or eCS LVM to create the partitons.
    On LVM system you MUST create volumes from partitons for:
    C: compatible, bootable (Win System)
    c: compatible, bootable (linux /boot)
    D: compatible, not bootable (win data)
    e: LVM, not bootable (OS2/eCS data)
    f: compatible, bootable (in next version of eCS you may use
    LVM, bootable (OS2/eCS system)
    g: and further: compatible, not bootable

    Remark:
    on eCS 1.2 or newer: You may create C: in any size you likes because
    eCS can handle Windows partiton types clean. On earlier OS/2 systems
    you may get problems with windows partitons greater than 2GB, lilo of
    earlier linux systems may not be able to boot up when /boot is NOT
    inside the 1024 zylinder limit.

    On OS/2 4.50 and earlier you must be sure that f: is completely inside
    the 1024 zylinder limit. For that you would exchange D: and f:

    Remark:
    on LVM you can assign each drive letter you likes to a volume. You
    MUST create a volume from C: c: and f: to assign them to BM. You can
    hide the volumes from OS2/eCS thereafter.

    Remark:
    low letter: only a sample assuming fdisk, you may assign any drive
    letter you likes.

    Remark:
    on linux you would use fdisk ONLY to assign the right partiton type.
    Never use it to create partitons. This will break easy the
    compatibility to any other system. You may loose data.

    Remark:
    You would use format of the system a partiton is assigned to to get
    the partitons formatted.

    Remark:
    Use OS2/eCS to do the whole partitoning. For your own savety use
    format /L
    as this gives you extended chances to recover from power faliture or
    crash without loosing any data.

    Install Windows first. Some older versions of it may destroy anything
    in the extended partiton. So you will save lots of extra work. W98/ME
    are known for heavy problems on big disks. For them you should handle
    your disk as if it were only 8 GB in size. That means: place anything
    that it should see inside the first 8 GB in the hope that it then does
    not destroy the partiton table.

    Remark:
    Windows will change the type of the extended partiton from 05 to 0F.
    When you use OS/2 4.51 or earlier or eCS prior to 1.2 you would
    rechange it to 05 before you can boot. You would fixup your OS/2
    4.51/4.52 or eCS to FP4 to avoid this exchange. For WARP 4.50, that is
    WARP4 FP13-15, you can find a fix for BM and kernel somewhere on the
    internet.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  11. Re: Warp4 and Linux and win98

    In <>, "Herbert Rosenau" wrote :

> [...]

    > as this gives you extended chances to recover from power faliture or
    > crash without loosing any data.
    >
    > Install Windows first. Some older versions of it may destroy anything
    > in the extended partiton. So you will save lots of extra work. W98/ME
    > are known for heavy problems on big disks. For them you should handle
    > your disk as if it were only 8 GB in size. That means: place anything
    > that it should see inside the first 8 GB in the hope that it then does
    > not destroy the partiton table.
    >
    > Remark:
    > Windows will change the type of the extended partiton from 05 to 0F.
    > When you use OS/2 4.51 or earlier or eCS prior to 1.2 you would
    > rechange it to 05 before you can boot. You would fixup your OS/2
    > 4.51/4.52 or eCS to FP4 to avoid this exchange. For WARP 4.50, that is
    > WARP4 FP13-15, you can find a fix for BM and kernel somewhere on the

    ecs...!?!
    So..., lilo boot and a whole bunch of 2gb partions for win98se it is then...
    --
    Thanks, That Guy
    ++++
    ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control