installing XP - OS2

This is a discussion on installing XP - OS2 ; sad to say, I don't know how much longer I can go without installing XP on my second computer. (as far as I am concerned, M$ now in effect has a state-sponsored monopoly, & paying for their software amounts to ...

  1. installing XP

    sad to say, I don't know how much longer I can go without
    installing XP on my second computer. (as far as I am concerned,
    M$ now in effect has a state-sponsored monopoly, & paying for
    their software amounts to a tax).

    have been scraping along with W98 for the past five years, but
    am going to need a couple of new hardware things that will only
    run under XP.

    I gather that I can "dual-boot" XP or W98 (which is good for me,
    since my scanner is not supported under XP) -- I hope I'll be
    able to do this using Veit Kannegeiser's excellent VPart. But
    what are the issues installing something like XP alongside OS/2?
    Currently I'm using VPART, and switching C: partitions between
    eCS and W98; here is the output of LVM:

    Doze98 Compatibility Bootable FAT16-H 2000
    V 0 Compatibility FAT16 502
    eCS 1.1 C: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 1004
    Maint D: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 502
    V 1 E: Compatibility FAT16 1004
    V 2 F: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    V 3 G: Compatibility HPFS 1662
    V 4 H: Compatibility FAT16 1992
    V 5 I: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    V 6 J: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    V 7 K: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    V 8 L: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    V 9 M: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    V 10 N: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    V 11 O: Compatibility HPFS 8001

    I'm figuring I'd clear off everything on that F: drive and maybe
    convert it to NTFS and install XP there.

    what are the issues involved? I seem to remember people going
    through nightmares setting up XP in the past alongside OS/2. I
    also seem to remember difficulty networking between OS/2 and XP,
    though that's less of an issue with me if I'll be able to

    -rafe t.
    www.ray-field.com

  2. Re: installing XP

    On 05.02.05 18:59, ray field wrote:

    > I gather that I can "dual-boot"

    Please use another term.

    > XP or W98 (which is good for me, since my scanner is not supported
    > under XP) -- I hope I'll be able to do this using Veit Kannegeiser's
    > excellent VPart.

    Why don't simply use IBM BM?

    > V 2 F: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    >
    > I'm figuring I'd clear off everything on that F: drive and maybe
    > convert it to NTFS and install XP there.

    Are you kidding? 2 GB only? Won't work. Use a partition with 5 GB as
    a min. (including several Office packs). Another prerequisite (for all
    NTx and DOS-based versions) is, that those W$ systems can only boot
    from the 1st primary partition of the 1st HD. (AiR-BOOT^1 can circumvent
    this restriction a bit.) Every W$ version requires a primary partition
    to boot. But since NT4 it works without problems, if you put only the
    boot files there and install the rest on a logical partition (maybe
    called D: then).

    ^1 http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-sea...y=air-bootv104

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  3. Re: installing XP

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:59:08 UTC rayyfieldNOTSPAM@yahoo.com (ray field)
    wrote:

    > sad to say, I don't know how much longer I can go without
    > installing XP on my second computer. (as far as I am concerned,
    > M$ now in effect has a state-sponsored monopoly, & paying for
    > their software amounts to a tax).
    >
    > have been scraping along with W98 for the past five years, but
    > am going to need a couple of new hardware things that will only
    > run under XP.
    >
    > I gather that I can "dual-boot" XP or W98 (which is good for me,
    > since my scanner is not supported under XP) -- I hope I'll be
    > able to do this using Veit Kannegeiser's excellent VPart. But
    > what are the issues installing something like XP alongside OS/2?
    > Currently I'm using VPART, and switching C: partitions between
    > eCS and W98; here is the output of LVM:
    >
    > Doze98 Compatibility Bootable FAT16-H 2000
    > V 0 Compatibility FAT16 502
    > eCS 1.1 C: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 1004
    > Maint D: Compatibility Bootable HPFS 502
    > V 1 E: Compatibility FAT16 1004
    > V 2 F: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    > V 3 G: Compatibility HPFS 1662
    > V 4 H: Compatibility FAT16 1992
    > V 5 I: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > V 6 J: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > V 7 K: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    > V 8 L: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > V 9 M: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > V 10 N: Compatibility FAT16 2000
    > V 11 O: Compatibility HPFS 8001
    >
    > I'm figuring I'd clear off everything on that F: drive and maybe
    > convert it to NTFS and install XP there.
    >
    > what are the issues involved? I seem to remember people going
    > through nightmares setting up XP in the past alongside OS/2. I
    > also seem to remember difficulty networking between OS/2 and XP,
    > though that's less of an issue with me if I'll be able to

    For starters, you need more than 2g to use XP, so you will need to do
    a little more planning - I think MS should have opened a memory fab
    from the way they use memory and disk space!

    Aside from that, it's pretty much a no brainer. First, you have to
    make sure that the active primary is the C: that holds W98 (or DOS) on
    a FAT/FAT32 file system. XP will install it's boot manager there. I
    have no clue as to how this will impact Vpart since I use the vanilla
    Bootmanager - might want to check that out. The safest way is to boot
    to W98 and run the setup program on the XP CD from there. That will
    establish C: without any risk (assuming W98 is on C: when booted).
    The only other real gotcha is that once XP is installed DO NOT MUCK
    WITH C: OR ITS LOADERS!!! Leave the Win loader alone and use it the
    way the install configured it. To get to XP on my laptop, I boot up
    using Bootmanager to boot the DOS partition which in turn brings up
    the MS loader to select between DOS and XP - sort of a two step
    bootmanager.

    One hint: when you get around to installing be darned sure you know
    which physical partition you really wanted to install to. All those
    2g FAT32 partitions are going to make it confusing (BTDT). Since you
    are going to have to make some more room anyway, that should not be a
    problem. XP will see your HPFS partitions and want to format them so
    the safest move is to go into diskmanager and remove their drive
    letters ASAP - that way XP ignores them.

    --
    Will Honea

  4. Re: installing XP

    In article <36kk4rF52l9pnU1@uni-berlin.de>,
    Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
    >On 05.02.05 18:59, ray field wrote:
    >
    >> I gather that I can "dual-boot"

    >Please use another term.
    >
    >> XP or W98 (which is good for me, since my scanner is not supported
    >> under XP) -- I hope I'll be able to do this using Veit Kannegeiser's
    >> excellent VPart.

    >Why don't simply use IBM BM?

    this has been gone over in these NGs before but: in my
    experience at any rate, BM cannot seem to boot Linux when
    it's located in the last partition of a large HD if it's the
    second HD in the SCSI chain. at least not here.

    as a matter of fact, looking at your posting again made me
    want to try it once more, so I booted up eCS and started
    LVM, and once again when I use the mouse button to access a
    popup, all the options on the bottom part of the menu are
    greyed out.

    now, I'm frankly not as comfortable with LVM as I was with
    FDISK (not that I was very comfortable with FDISK) so it's
    possible I'm missing something. so if you could have a look
    at my LVMGUI screen:

    www.ray-field.com/myLVM.jpg

    I'd appreciate a hint. my SUSE boot partition is the big
    grey thing at the bottom, 25195MB. I think since I was
    never able to put it on the old Warp4 BM, since I've
    installed eCS I never bothered trying again. I'm quite
    happy with VPart -- however, having to (sigh) install XP has
    me feeling anxious about the whole thing, so if it's
    possible to get BM working, I certainly wouldn't mind. I am
    unfamiliar with the process here -- can BM only address
    volumes, that is, would I have to call that big reiser
    partition a volume before LVM allows me to add it to the BM
    menu? again, a patient how-to would be a great help here.

    >> V 2 F: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    >>
    >> I'm figuring I'd clear off everything on that F: drive and maybe
    >> convert it to NTFS and install XP there.

    >Are you kidding? 2 GB only? Won't work. Use a partition with 5 GB as
    >a min.

    thanks, Andreas. I have been thinking I would only use XP
    minimally but it's now a chorus of voices urging me to give
    it more room, so I'm going to create a 6GB partition...

    --

    -rafe t.
    www.ray-field.com

  5. Re: installing XP

    In article ,
    "Will Honea" wrote:
    >For starters, you need more than 2g to use XP, so you will need to do
    >a little more planning - I think MS should have opened a memory fab
    >from the way they use memory and disk space!
    >
    >Aside from that, it's pretty much a no brainer. First, you have to
    >make sure that the active primary is the C: that holds W98 (or DOS) on
    >a FAT/FAT32 file system. XP will install it's boot manager there. I
    >have no clue as to how this will impact Vpart since I use the vanilla
    >Bootmanager - might want to check that out. The safest way is to boot
    >to W98 and run the setup program on the XP CD from there. That will
    >establish C: without any risk (assuming W98 is on C: when booted).

    thanks for that advice, I wasn't aware I could invoke the XP
    install from W98 -- as you say, it's a surefire way to be
    sure the right C: partition is active.

    >The only other real gotcha is that once XP is installed DO NOT MUCK
    >WITH C: OR ITS LOADERS!!! Leave the Win loader alone and use it the
    >way the install configured it. To get to XP on my laptop, I boot up
    >using Bootmanager to boot the DOS partition which in turn brings up
    >the MS loader to select between DOS and XP - sort of a two step
    >bootmanager.
    >
    >One hint: when you get around to installing be darned sure you know
    >which physical partition you really wanted to install to. All those
    >2g FAT32 partitions are going to make it confusing (BTDT). Since you
    >are going to have to make some more room anyway, that should not be a
    >problem. XP will see your HPFS partitions and want to format them so
    >the safest move is to go into diskmanager and remove their drive
    >letters ASAP - that way XP ignores them.
    >
    >--
    >Will Honea

    okay, I'm going to combine 3 of those 2GB partitions. I've
    emptied them, but I'm not quite sure how to go about
    combining them -- should I simply boot eCS, then delete them
    under LVM, and then create a 6GB partition from the empty
    space?

    I'm also somewhat confused about how I'll reset BM (or in my
    case VPart) after the XP install, since I'm not used to
    booting from CD, for one thing. I just did a dry run,
    booting the eCS CD, and I've gotten to the LVM screen, I'm
    glad to say. how do I:

    1) reset BM active?
    2) make the OS/2 C: partition (as opposed to the W98 C
    active? is it that "Set the volume startable" option?

    sorry to be a nuisance with such rudimentary questions but I
    really try to avoid installations as much as possible...

    thanks Will --

    --

    -rafe t.
    www.ray-field.com

  6. Re: installing XP

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:23:30 UTC rayyfieldNOTSPAM@yahoo.com (ray field)
    wrote:

    > okay, I'm going to combine 3 of those 2GB partitions. I've
    > emptied them, but I'm not quite sure how to go about
    > combining them -- should I simply boot eCS, then delete them
    > under LVM, and then create a 6GB partition from the empty
    > space?
    >
    > I'm also somewhat confused about how I'll reset BM (or in my
    > case VPart) after the XP install, since I'm not used to
    > booting from CD, for one thing. I just did a dry run,
    > booting the eCS CD, and I've gotten to the LVM screen, I'm
    > glad to say. how do I:
    >
    > 1) reset BM active?
    > 2) make the OS/2 C: partition (as opposed to the W98 C
    > active? is it that "Set the volume startable" option?
    >
    > sorry to be a nuisance with such rudimentary questions but I
    > really try to avoid installations as much as possible...

    Most of us have been there and have the t-shirt to prove it, so
    welcome to the club. Before you leap: you did empty 3 adjacent
    partitions didn't you? Simple as it seems, Ive seen folks try this
    with empty space interspaced with active partitions - won't work.

    You need to now delete the old partitions and create one nice new big
    one. You can even leave it unformatted - XP will take care of that.
    The new partition can be a primary or (preferably) a logical
    partition. Once you're done, you will boot XP by booting your W98
    partition as if you were booting W98. The install will put a second
    boot selection there to choose to continue with W98 or boot XP.

    The very safest way to get BM back is to boot the CD, get to the LVM
    screen, and REMOVE BOOTMANAGER. Sounds wierd, but trust me, that's
    the only way to clean up some tracks XP will have left. Once you
    delete it, turn right around and install it again. You'll have to add
    your W98, OS/2 and whatever boot selections you had before back into
    it. DO NOT add an entry for XP - you'll get to it thru the W98
    selection. Save and exit, reboot and off you go - hopefully.

    --
    Will Honea

  7. Re: installing XP

    >> V 2 F: Compatibility FAT32 2000
    >>
    >>I'm figuring I'd clear off everything on that F: drive and maybe
    >>convert it to NTFS and install XP there.

    > Are you kidding? 2 GB only? Won't work. Use a partition with 5 GB as
    > a min. (including several Office packs). Another prerequisite (for all
    > NTx and DOS-based versions) is, that those W$ systems can only boot
    > from the 1st primary partition of the 1st HD. (AiR-BOOT^1 can circumvent
    > this restriction a bit.) Every W$ version requires a primary partition
    > to boot. But since NT4 it works without problems, if you put only the
    > boot files there and install the rest on a logical partition (maybe
    > called D: then).

    Actually, 5 GB is probably too small. Remember that the swap file
    requires space and if it is too little, XP starts complaining. Eight GB
    will allow for any programs or features he needs to install. Hope you
    have around 512 MB of RAM. XP on bootup uses around 256 MB of RAM.

    David

    David

  8. Re: installing XP

    On 05/02/05 14:12 Andreas Schnellbacher apparently typed:

    > Are you kidding? 2 GB only? Won't work. Use a partition with 5 GB as

    3G is plenty. Swap doesn't neet to be on the boot drive. Neither does
    installed software.

    > a min. (including several Office packs). Another prerequisite (for all
    > NTx and DOS-based versions) is, that those W$ systems can only boot
    > from the 1st primary partition of the 1st HD.

    Why do people insist on perpetuating this myth? The only systems on which I
    put windoze on the first primary are those that have only one partition.
    Normally I put windoze on the 3rd primary, following an OS/2 or eCS primary
    and IBM BM and/or a Linux /boot. Doze only needs to think it's on the 1st
    disk. And, there's no need for C: to be big. Doze will install to D: or any
    other logical you please if you just give it enough space on C: for loader
    and installation files, ~30M (4 cylinders on a big HD). See e.g. (using a
    fixed width font)
    http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-l...-Feb/1769.html and link below.
    --
    "He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and
    whoever lives and believes in me will never die." John 11:25 NIV

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html