I am out of drive letters - OS2

This is a discussion on I am out of drive letters - OS2 ; On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 04:33:21 UTC, "Nathan Liskov" wrote: > "Bob Eager" wrote: > > > Why not combine M and N? The HPFS limit is 64GB, so it should fit. > M: and N: are different physical drives. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: I am out of drive letters - no longer

    wrote:

    > "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >
    > > Why not combine M and N? The HPFS limit is 64GB, so it should fit.

    > M: and N: are different physical drives. I can't combine them without
    > using os2lvm.dmd and JFS, as mentioned in earlier posts. But that
    > conflicts with using DANIDASD.DMD.

    Fair enough. Although not 100% true. You do not need to use JFS to
    combine them.

  2. Re: I am out of drive letters - no longer

    Nathan Liskov
    ], who wrote in article :
    > I have used ZIP to backup partitions in the past, but occassionally
    > get an out of memory message if the archive is too big.

    Final size of ZIP should be below 2G.

    > I have not explored DVD burning on OS/2 yet. I looked at the RSJ
    > manual and it indicated a 2 gB write limit (or was it 1 gb?) for DVDs
    > so that did not seem worth the trouble. I will look into the version
    > of CDRECORD for DVD as I happily use CDRECORD for CDROM burning. If
    > there is a clear FAQ on DVD burning using CDRECORD, I'd like to see
    > it.

    cdrecord2 --version
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i386-pc-os2_emx) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J

    This vesion supports writing DVD (at least to DVD-R). Newer versions
    do not. There is nothing special to write a DVD; my would write only
    -dao, so you need to find the size first, then use something like

    -tsize=2151457s -dao

    (same as with CD in DAO version) if you read from a pipe. I have
    scripts which do md5 of sectors (on the fly), so you can verify the
    write (as usual, this makes things much longer, since you need to
    read too; mine (12/8/4) is not reading much quickier than it it
    writes: the actual reading speed is 7.5MB/sec, writing is 5.5MB/sec -
    on 4x BeAll media).

    dvddao should write anything, but the fact that its options are
    different is a PITA.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  3. Re: I am out of drive letters

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:16:33 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    wrote:
    >> > I was under impression that LVM allows double-letter drives (like aa:
    >> > ab: etc). Do not have LVM, but should not you check?

    >> No... LVM.DLL uses a 'char' type to store drive letter. The letter is
    >> represented as a literal ASCII character, so unless it extends drive
    >> letters to {:, ~:, +: etc., I think 26 is the limit.

    > What would use LVM.DLL; certainley not the kernel, right? So it has
    > little relation on what drives are *supported*...
    >
    > It *may* have relation on which drives can be *created* via this DLL;
    > however, if the only restriction is a bug in the DLL, certainly
    > somebody will develop a replacement...

    Technically I suppose it's limited by OS2LVM.DMD+OS2DASD.DMD, which
    contain the actual LVM implementation. I don't have access to either of
    those internally so I don't know what they support or don't.

    But LVM.DLL contains the entire LVM API, so all programs that perform LVM
    functions depend on it (unless, as you say, someone develops a
    replacement); so in a sense it's pretty much moot for now.

    (The exception is DFSee, of course, which operates on the raw DASD
    level, below even OS2LVM.DMD).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  4. Re: I am out of drive letters - no longer

    Ilya,

    Thanks for your input and you earlier posting on drive letters.

    I thought that one had to use CDRECORD-PRODVD (including getting a
    personal key).

    I'm not all that knowedgeable about using CDRECORD. I use this script
    to create a data image file:

    mkisofs -o cd.iso -J -R %1

    where %1 is the root directory of the data image to be burned and I
    use this .cmd script to cut the disk:

    cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=4,0 -eject -multi cd.iso

    for my SCSI burner on LUN 4.

    For the next multi session I run

    cdrecord -msinfo dev=4,0

    to get xx and yy data on the previous session and then run

    mkisofs -o cd.iso -J -R -C xx, yy -M 4,0 %1

    where xx and yy were the values returned earlier and %1 is the root
    for the next session. Finally the disk is cut with the
    same script as before.

    I would like to know how to do the same stuff with my ATAPI DVD for
    DVD burning.

    My version of CDRECORD is 1.11a05 so I'll have to get an updated
    version. ( Just found version 2.01 a25 on Hobbes in cdrtoosls2)
    Also, I have not used -dao perviously so have no experience with that.
    I'll take a look at the docs that come with
    CDRECORD2 and see if I can figure it all out (although I always
    struggle with such docs). For example, I just ran cdrecord -scanbus
    and it reports all my SCSI devices correctly and the ATAPI DVD writer
    as SCSI device 1,1,0. Running cdrecord2 -scanbus identifies all
    devices as adaptec acb-5500 fake non ccs disk and cdrecord2 refuses to
    recognize either of my writers as valid ("Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found
    on this target")

    Thanks again

    Nate Liskov

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  5. Re: I am out of drive letters

    Alex Taylor
    ], who wrote in article <4207876f$0$79992$45beb828@newscene.com>:
    > > It *may* have relation on which drives can be *created* via this DLL;
    > > however, if the only restriction is a bug in the DLL, certainly
    > > somebody will develop a replacement...

    > But LVM.DLL contains the entire LVM API, so all programs that perform LVM
    > functions depend on it (unless, as you say, someone develops a
    > replacement); so in a sense it's pretty much moot for now.
    >
    > (The exception is DFSee, of course, which operates on the raw DASD
    > level, below even OS2LVM.DMD).

    Yes, the latter one is one of the approaches I had in mind.

    Yours,
    Ilya

  6. Re: I am out of drive letters - no longer

    Nathan Liskov
    ], who wrote in article :
    > I'm not all that knowedgeable about using CDRECORD. I use this script
    > to create a data image file:
    >
    > mkisofs -o cd.iso -J -R %1

    *) I use -r -T -J;

    *) I do not use -o, I just pipe to cdrecord;
    *) Sometimes I need to use

    --graft-points Name_Of_The_Target=Name_Of_The_source
    Name_Of_The_Target2=Name_Of_The_source2

    (usualy with the same Name_Of_The_Target and Name_Of_The_source etc)
    to make the named directory to appear instead of its content.

    [Judging by the documentation, something like Name_Of_The_source/
    should do the same, but I never could make it work with old versions,
    and did not try with newers.]

    *) Add --print-size to find the number of sectors written (needed with
    -dao if you pipe to cdrecord); then rerun without --print-size.

    > where %1 is the root directory of the data image to be burned and I
    > use this .cmd script to cut the disk:

    (With old versions of) cdrecord it was sometimes important to use /
    instead of \ in directory names. Do not know what happens with newer
    ones...

    > cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=4,0 -eject -multi cd.iso

    I do not use speed= and -multi (could not make the second session
    work; again, it could have been old OS2CDROM.DMD). But it is crucial
    to have something like

    driveropts=burnfree -fs=64m

    (with lower RAM machine I use -fs=32m). As I said, with DVD all you
    need to add is

    -tsize=2151457s -dao

    (if --print-size's output was 2151457).

    > as SCSI device 1,1,0. Running cdrecord2 -scanbus identifies all
    > devices as adaptec acb-5500 fake non ccs disk and cdrecord2 refuses to
    > recognize either of my writers as valid ("Sorry, no CD/DVD-Drive found
    > on this target")

    I never saw any problem with -scanbus... Sorry that I can't help
    you...

    Ilya

    P.S. The whole command line to burn the current directory is

    (nice -t -n -29 mkisofs2 -v -r -T -J . |
    cdrecord_and_checksum_stdin "dev=0,1,0" driveropts=burnfree -v
    -fs=64m -tsize=2151457s -dao) |& tee ../burn-strana_gluhih_sherlok_1

    tee is needed only if something gets sour. Quotes around dev= are
    required to avoid a bug in 4os2 (at least in an old version: it
    considers = as argument separator). Aliases are:

    Alias cdrecord_and_checksum_stdin -> ((nice -t -n 29 perl -Sw md5_by_chunks writecopy 32K %tmp%/digest%1.tmp | cdrecord_ %1 %2& -eject -) && cd_check_in_eject %1)

    Program nice -> i:\emx.add\BIN\nice.exe
    Alias cdrecord_ -> cdrecord2
    Program cdrecord2 -> i:\UTILS\cdrecord2.exe
    Alias cd_check_in_eject -> (cd_inject %1 ^ (cdcat_ %1 | md5_by_chunks read_delete 32K %tmp%/digest%1.tmp) && cd_eject %1)
    Alias cd_inject -> (cdrecord_ -load -dummy %1 >& nul)
    Alias cdrecord_ -> cdrecord2
    Program cdrecord2 -> i:\UTILS\cdrecord2.exe
    Alias cdcat_ -> cdcat -v2
    Executable cdcat -> I:\zax\bin\cdcat.pl
    CMD file md5_by_chunks -> I:\zax\bin\md5_by_chunks.cmd
    Alias cd_eject -> (cdrecord_ -eject %1 >& nul)
    Alias cdrecord_ -> cdrecord2
    Program cdrecord2 -> i:\UTILS\cdrecord2.exe

    Twp Perl scripts are used, cdcat and md5_by_chunks; cdcat avoids last
    two sectors if they are not readable, and md5_by_chunks writes (or
    matches) md5 checksums of chunks of given size (32K above).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

  7. Re: I am out of drive letters

    Alex Taylor wrote:

    >>>No... LVM.DLL uses a 'char' type to store drive letter. The letter is
    >>>represented as a literal ASCII character, so unless it extends drive
    >>>letters to {:, ~:, +: etc., I think 26 is the limit.

    >>What would use LVM.DLL; certainley not the kernel, right? So it has
    >>little relation on what drives are *supported*...
    >>
    >>It *may* have relation on which drives can be *created* via this DLL;
    >>however, if the only restriction is a bug in the DLL, certainly
    >>somebody will develop a replacement...

    > Technically I suppose it's limited by OS2LVM.DMD+OS2DASD.DMD, which
    > contain the actual LVM implementation. I don't have access to either of
    > those internally so I don't know what they support or don't.
    >
    > But LVM.DLL contains the entire LVM API, so all programs that perform LVM
    > functions depend on it (unless, as you say, someone develops a
    > replacement); so in a sense it's pretty much moot for now.
    >
    > (The exception is DFSee, of course, which operates on the raw DASD
    > level, below even OS2LVM.DMD).

    It's too bad LVM doesn't allow creating something like a partition mount
    point which would occupy one drive letter, where every volume would be a
    subdirectory in the root, named after volume name specified in the LVM.
    That might let us survive a bit longer with fixed number of drive letters.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  8. Re: I am out of drive letters - no longer

    Nathan Liskov schrieb:

    > I have not explored DVD burning on OS/2 yet. I looked at the RSJ
    > manual and it indicated a 2 gB write limit (or was it 1 gb?) for DVDs
    > so that did not seem worth the trouble.
    >
    > Nate Liskov

    The limit is 2GB imposed by the ISO9660 filesystem.

    Hendrik

  9. Re: I am out of drive letters - no longer

    Hi Nathan

    Nathan Liskov wrote:
    > In this case I just copied an image of each partition (to be combined)
    > to a bigger partition on my SATA drive. After combining the
    > partitions on the SCSI drive and reformatting I copied them back. I
    > use a utility called ccp, but xcopy would work as well.
    >
    > I have used ZIP to backup partitions in the past, but occassionally
    > get an out of memory message if the archive is too big. I found that
    > zip -9rS works well to backup an OS/2 bootable partition. I restore
    > (from an os/2 maintenance partition) by reformatting the bootable
    > partition and then restoring the archive with unzip. Its a lot easier
    > than reinstalling os/2.
    >
    > I recently backed up my SCSI OS/2 partitions by using ZIP. I then
    > sent them over to my windows box, using FTP and backed them up to DVD
    > with up to 4.7 gB per DVD. I found that I could read the DVD on my
    > OS/2 system.
    >
    > I have not explored DVD burning on OS/2 yet. I looked at the RSJ
    > manual and it indicated a 2 gB write limit (or was it 1 gb?) for DVDs
    > so that did not seem worth the trouble. I will look into the version
    > of CDRECORD for DVD as I happily use CDRECORD for CDROM burning. If
    > there is a clear FAQ on DVD burning using CDRECORD, I'd like to see
    > it.

    DVD rewriteables and the UDF file system work well together for ad-hoc
    copying/backing up of files - just treat the dvd +/-rw/ram as a
    removeable disk (no partitions).

    dvddao (from http://hobbes.nmsu.edu) is useful for for copying or
    writing your own dvds.

    RSJ is probably the least useful for dvds although I understand that
    V5.5x is more capable than the V5.05 I have. I personally do not see
    anything in V5.5x to justify an upgrade charge - especially as most of
    v5.5x seems to be fixes for bugs in V5.05

    Regards

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2