eCS: Trap on Install - OS2

This is a discussion on eCS: Trap on Install - OS2 ; Hello folks, I'm trying to install eCS1.2 on an IBM Thinkpad R40e. It does the first bit fine, as long as I choose Dani's drivers in compatibility mode. However, I always get a crash after the first reboot: +++++++ The ...

  1. eCS: Trap on Install

    Hello folks,

    I'm trying to install eCS1.2 on an IBM Thinkpad R40e. It does the
    first bit fine, as long as I choose Dani's drivers in compatibility
    mode. However, I always get a crash after the first reboot:

    +++++++

    The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##0168:fff1ea1f - 000e:ca1f
    60000, 9084

    08861200
    Internal revision 14.100c_W4

    The system is stopped...

    +++++++

    I have tried installing as little as I can get away with (plain VGA,
    no USB etc etc etc) and always get the same thing. Has anyone got any
    idea what's generating the above, and how I can get round the problem,
    whatever it is?

    Thanks,

    Ian

    --

  2. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    Mazbe I had the same problem.

    Try rem out APM.sys.

    This caused my trap.

    HTH
    Marko

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I'm trying to install eCS1.2 on an IBM Thinkpad R40e. It does the
    > first bit fine, as long as I choose Dani's drivers in compatibility
    > mode. However, I always get a crash after the first reboot:
    >
    > +++++++
    >
    > The system detected an internal processing error at
    > location ##0168:fff1ea1f - 000e:ca1f
    > 60000, 9084
    >
    > 08861200
    > Internal revision 14.100c_W4
    >
    > The system is stopped...
    >
    > +++++++
    >
    > I have tried installing as little as I can get away with (plain VGA,
    > no USB etc etc etc) and always get the same thing. Has anyone got any
    > idea what's generating the above, and how I can get round the problem,
    > whatever it is?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ian

  3. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:00:42 UTC, Marko Udvanc
    wrote:

    : Mazbe I had the same problem.
    :
    : Try rem out APM.sys.

    Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?

    Ian

    --

  4. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:00:42 UTC, Marko Udvanc
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Mazbe I had the same problem.
    > :
    > : Try rem out APM.sys.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    > boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    > drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?
    >
    > Ian

    Can you boot from cd?
    Andy

  5. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:47:40 UTC, Andy Willis
    wrote:

    : Ian Johnston wrote:

    : > Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    : > boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    : > drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?

    : Can you boot from cd?

    Yup. That's how I'm trying to install eCS.

    Ian

  6. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    On 2 Feb 2005 19:55:19 GMT, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:47:40 UTC, Andy Willis
    > wrote:
    >
    >: Ian Johnston wrote:
    >
    >: > Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    >: > boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    >: > drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?
    >
    >: Can you boot from cd?
    >
    >Yup. That's how I'm trying to install eCS.

    It was this kind of situation (not this trap, but a similar situation
    - laptop with no floppy) installing WSeB that got me to try eCS in the
    first place (it worked for me).

    IBM and eCS really need to rethink the installation methodology from
    the ground up - the 'easy' traditional answer is always 'make bootable
    floppies, mess with them until it works, and install with them'.
    Unfortunately many machines these days, especially laptops, no longer
    have floppies! In which case you're frelled unless you have the skills
    to mess with CD images and produce 'tweaked' bootable CDs. This should
    *never* be necessary!

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    "All I know is that I'm being sued for unfair business practices by Microsoft. Hello pot? It's kettle on line two" -

  7. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:47:40 UTC, Andy Willis
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Ian Johnston wrote:
    >
    > : > Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    > : > boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    > : > drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?
    >
    > : Can you boot from cd?
    >
    > Yup. That's how I'm trying to install eCS.
    >
    > Ian

    I was a little to brief... if you boot from the cd you can then edit
    your config.sys.
    Andy

  8. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:25:07 UTC, Andy Willis
    wrote:

    : I was a little to brief... if you boot from the cd you can then edit
    : your config.sys.

    Oh, I see what you mean - but how do I do that?

    Ian

    --

  9. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:00:42 UTC, Marko Udvanc
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Mazbe I had the same problem.
    > :
    > : Try rem out APM.sys.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    > boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    > drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?
    >
    > Ian

    When the installer is loaded press SHIFT F3....
    Presto command line.
    (If you don't see it press CTRL ESC.

    type the letter of the boot drive and
    type

    e config.sys
    rem out apm.sys and vapm.sys

    Roderick

  10. Re: eCS: Trap on Install

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:49:34 UTC, Roderick Klein
    wrote:

    : Ian Johnston wrote:
    : > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:00:42 UTC, Marko Udvanc
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : > : Mazbe I had the same problem.
    : > :
    : > : Try rem out APM.sys.
    : >
    : > Unfortunately I can't boot enough of a system to do this - trying to
    : > boot to command line produces the same trap and I don't have a floppy
    : > drive on the thing. Can you (anyone?) think of a cunning solution?

    : When the installer is loaded press SHIFT F3....
    : Presto command line.
    : (If you don't see it press CTRL ESC.
    :
    : type the letter of the boot drive and
    : type
    :
    : e config.sys
    : rem out apm.sys and vapm.sys

    I love you and I want to have your babies.

    Ian

    PS In other words, it worked!

+ Reply to Thread