OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2 ; William L. Hartzell wrote: I'm having problems quoting your post - only had new post, no reply to link - so I copied it below: Stick the IDE drive into an existing machine that has OS/2 on it. Xcopy the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

  1. OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    I'm having problems quoting your post - only had new post, no reply to
    link - so I copied it below:

    Stick the IDE drive into an existing machine that has OS/2 on it.
    Xcopy
    the existing system on to that volume. Modify to remove APM and
    Testcfg
    drivers from config.sys. Move the disk back to the new machine. It
    should now boot. You'll have to go through the process of changing
    the
    LAN NIC and audio drivers, but since you are using SNAP or SNAPse on
    the
    old machine, video should work on the new machine.

    This is the easiest way, believe it or not, of getting AMD64 working
    with OS/2.

    BTW, You cannot use boot floppies for 4.51 to boot 4.52 CD. You'll
    have
    a version mismatch between kernels and other files. Use the 'create
    boot floppies' on the 4.52 CD to make yourself a new set of boot
    floppies. Modify the new floppies like you did as per the Voice
    article.

    MY REPLY:
    The problem is that I no longer have machine with OS/2 on it. I have a
    notebook with XP and the box that my daughter upgraded (which will
    boot to XP). The only parts of the old machine that I have are the HDs
    (the drive that used to boot is dead), the floppy drive, monitor,
    keyboard, mouse, video card and box that holds it all. My daughter
    added the RAID drive and installed XP on it - my intention is to have
    a dual boot machine with OS/2 as the main boot partition and XP for my
    wife's use.

    I'm not using SNAP (that I know of), was using Matrox drivers and
    transferred that card to the new MoBo.

    I am unable to create floppies from the 4.52 CD - it fails when trying
    to create the first diskette. I can create floppies from 4.51. IIRC, I
    read something a while back on a newsgroup about problems creating
    floppies from 4.52 CD, but I don't remember what the solution was.

  2. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:

    > I am unable to create floppies from the 4.52 CD - it fails when trying
    > to create the first diskette.


    Try cdinst.bat with XP

  3. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure


    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Mike Strickland wrote:
    >
    > > I am unable to create floppies from the 4.52 CD - it fails when

    trying
    > > to create the first diskette.

    >
    > Try cdinst.bat with XP


    I've done that. There is a failure when creating Disk 1 - never get the
    opportunity to try to create Installation or Disk 2.


  4. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure


    m.strickland@att.net wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > > Mike Strickland wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am unable to create floppies from the 4.52 CD - it fails when

    > trying
    > > > to create the first diskette.

    > >
    > > Try cdinst.bat with XP

    >
    > I've done that. There is a failure when creating Disk 1 - never get

    the
    > opportunity to try to create Installation or Disk 2.


    An update:

    I managed to find a friend who had an old computer sitting around. He
    let me install OS/2 4.51 on it and I managed to create the 4.52 install
    disks. I removed the TESTCFG.SYS line from Config.SYS (and the file
    from the floppy), but there are no lines referring to APM.SYS.

    When I try to use these disks to install onto my box, I'm getting a
    trap in OS2Kernl on Disk 1. I don't have all the information handy and
    don't have the time at the moment to duplicate the error (I did
    duplicate it 3 times earlier). Dunno why I could get all the way
    through Disk 1 to the point it was asking for Disk 2 the other day...

    Can I run the PatchLdr utility from my friend's computer that has OS/2
    on it? Will it make a difference? I'm willing to drive over to his
    house again if it will, otherwise, I'd just rather not waste the time.

    Is it possible that the RAID controller is causing a problem? That's
    where XP is loading from. IIRC, the boot sequence is set up A:, CD,
    ERAID drive). There is a RAID driver on one of the floppies.

    What are the latest versions of OS2LDR and OS2KERNL? Where can I obtain
    them and what is the procedure to get them onto the floppies?


  5. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    m.strickland@att.net wrote:
    > m.strickland@att.net wrote:
    >
    >>Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mike Strickland wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I am unable to create floppies from the 4.52 CD - it fails when

    >>
    >>trying
    >>
    >>>>to create the first diskette.
    >>>
    >>>Try cdinst.bat with XP

    >>
    >>I've done that. There is a failure when creating Disk 1 - never get

    >
    > the
    >
    >>opportunity to try to create Installation or Disk 2.

    >
    >
    > An update:
    >
    > I managed to find a friend who had an old computer sitting around. He
    > let me install OS/2 4.51 on it and I managed to create the 4.52 install
    > disks. I removed the TESTCFG.SYS line from Config.SYS (and the file
    > from the floppy), but there are no lines referring to APM.SYS.
    >
    > When I try to use these disks to install onto my box, I'm getting a
    > trap in OS2Kernl on Disk 1. I don't have all the information handy and
    > don't have the time at the moment to duplicate the error (I did
    > duplicate it 3 times earlier). Dunno why I could get all the way
    > through Disk 1 to the point it was asking for Disk 2 the other day...
    >
    > Can I run the PatchLdr utility from my friend's computer that has OS/2
    > on it? Will it make a difference? I'm willing to drive over to his
    > house again if it will, otherwise, I'd just rather not waste the time.
    >
    > Is it possible that the RAID controller is causing a problem? That's
    > where XP is loading from. IIRC, the boot sequence is set up A:, CD,
    > ERAID drive). There is a RAID driver on one of the floppies.
    >
    > What are the latest versions of OS2LDR and OS2KERNL? Where can I obtain
    > them and what is the procedure to get them onto the floppies?
    >

    Had a similar situation about a month ago with my new box. Got one step
    further than you by adding basedev=ibmint13.i13 to the config.sys, which
    my (very old) previous box apparently had be able to do without. Am now
    stuck with a doscall1.dll failure with my new AMD64 box, having done all
    those things you mention, incl trying recent kernels from this site:

    http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html

    Believe you donīt need any special RAID drivers if you are using the
    latest dani drivers. Donīt think the newest OS2LDR (with the new
    kernels) require Daniīs patch. Anyway, you are not there yet.

  6. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure


    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > m.strickland@att.net wrote:
    > > m.strickland@att.net wrote:
    > >
    > >>Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Mike Strickland wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>>I am unable to create floppies from the 4.52 CD - it fails when
    > >>
    > >>trying
    > >>
    > >>>>to create the first diskette.
    > >>>
    > >>>Try cdinst.bat with XP
    > >>
    > >>I've done that. There is a failure when creating Disk 1 - never get

    > >
    > > the
    > >
    > >>opportunity to try to create Installation or Disk 2.

    > >
    > >
    > > An update:
    > >
    > > I managed to find a friend who had an old computer sitting around.

    He
    > > let me install OS/2 4.51 on it and I managed to create the 4.52

    install
    > > disks. I removed the TESTCFG.SYS line from Config.SYS (and the file
    > > from the floppy), but there are no lines referring to APM.SYS.
    > >
    > > When I try to use these disks to install onto my box, I'm getting a
    > > trap in OS2Kernl on Disk 1. I don't have all the information handy

    and
    > > don't have the time at the moment to duplicate the error (I did
    > > duplicate it 3 times earlier). Dunno why I could get all the way
    > > through Disk 1 to the point it was asking for Disk 2 the other

    day...
    > >
    > > Can I run the PatchLdr utility from my friend's computer that has

    OS/2
    > > on it? Will it make a difference? I'm willing to drive over to his
    > > house again if it will, otherwise, I'd just rather not waste the

    time.
    > >
    > > Is it possible that the RAID controller is causing a problem?

    That's
    > > where XP is loading from. IIRC, the boot sequence is set up A:, CD,
    > > ERAID drive). There is a RAID driver on one of the floppies.
    > >
    > > What are the latest versions of OS2LDR and OS2KERNL? Where can I

    obtain
    > > them and what is the procedure to get them onto the floppies?
    > >

    > Had a similar situation about a month ago with my new box. Got one

    step
    > further than you by adding basedev=ibmint13.i13 to the config.sys,

    which
    > my (very old) previous box apparently had be able to do without. Am

    now
    > stuck with a doscall1.dll failure with my new AMD64 box, having done

    all
    > those things you mention, incl trying recent kernels from this site:
    >
    > http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html
    >
    > Believe you donīt need any special RAID drivers if you are using the


    > latest dani drivers. Donīt think the newest OS2LDR (with the new
    > kernels) require Daniīs patch. Anyway, you are not there yet.


    According to what I read at the site mentioned in my original post,
    Dani has managed to install on a box with AMD 64 and 1GB RAM - just
    what I'm attempting... The steps she listed made it sound simple.

    Will add the basedev line you suggest to Config.SYS if it isn't already
    there. My original setup was pretty ancient also - about 7 years old.

    Figure I probably need the patch, if I don't get a later OS2LDR, since
    I now have 1GB RAM. Found out the other day that the patch won't run
    from an XP DOS prompt, so I'll have to take the disk over to my
    friend's house to run it in an OS/2 VDM.

    Not using Dani's drivers on the floppies, but was using them (IDE and
    ATAPI) on my original setup and plan to use them on this setup if I can
    ever get an install. Is it just a matter of copying the ADD and FLT
    files to the floppies and adding lines to Config.SYS (remming original
    lines of course)?

    Still don't understand how I got further along the other day. My
    original problem (using floppies created from the 4.52 CD in my
    original setup) occurred after Disk 1 had completed and the screen
    requested Disk 2. The floppy drive kept turning on and off - putting
    Disk 2 in anyway resulted in much scrolling of error messages and a
    message about not being able to access the HD (maybe floppy and/or CD
    too, don't recall off the top of my head). I figured that I had a bad
    Disk 1 and attempted to re-create them from XP DOS prompt, which failed
    on Disk 1 and apparently ruined it.


  7. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    UPDATE: The basedev=ibmint13.i13 was already in Config.SYS on the
    floppy. I ran the patchldr (without any parameters - if I need a
    parameter, I have no idea of how to find which one) on my friend's
    computer that I installed OS/2 onto and copied the OS2LDR file to my
    floppy. Reboot on my box resulted in the following trap after the
    Install Disk had loaded and Disk 1 had been inserted and Enter pressed:

    Exception in module OS2KRNL

    TRAP 000e ERRCD=0000 ERACC=**** ERLIM=********
    EAX=07027406 EBX=00000000 ECX=fefd081ff EDX=00000000
    ESI=FFFFFFFF EDI=07027406 EBP=000055f0 FLG=00013246
    CS:EIP=0168:fff3f4e9 CSACC=c09b CSLIM=ffffffff
    SS:ESP=0030:000055bc SSACC=1097 SSLIM=0000487f
    DS=0160 DSACC=c0f3 DSLIM=ffffffff CR0=8001001b
    ES=0160 ESACC=c0f3 ESLIM=ffffffff CR2=0702765c
    FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
    GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********

    The system detected an internal processing error at location
    ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c.
    60000, 9084

    07861200
    Internal Revision 14.089_W4

    The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and contact
    your service representative.

    Any suggestions?


  8. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    >
    > According to what I read at the site mentioned in my original post,
    > Dani has managed to install on a box with AMD 64 and 1GB RAM - just
    > what I'm attempting... The steps she listed made it sound simple.
    >
    > Will add the basedev line you suggest to Config.SYS if it isn't already
    > there. My original setup was pretty ancient also - about 7 years old.
    >
    > Figure I probably need the patch, if I don't get a later OS2LDR, since
    > I now have 1GB RAM. Found out the other day that the patch won't run
    > from an XP DOS prompt, so I'll have to take the disk over to my
    > friend's house to run it in an OS/2 VDM.
    >
    > Not using Dani's drivers on the floppies, but was using them (IDE and
    > ATAPI) on my original setup and plan to use them on this setup if I can
    > ever get an install. Is it just a matter of copying the ADD and FLT
    > files to the floppies and adding lines to Config.SYS (remming original
    > lines of course)?
    >
    > Still don't understand how I got further along the other day. My
    > original problem (using floppies created from the 4.52 CD in my
    > original setup) occurred after Disk 1 had completed and the screen
    > requested Disk 2. The floppy drive kept turning on and off - putting
    > Disk 2 in anyway resulted in much scrolling of error messages and a
    > message about not being able to access the HD (maybe floppy and/or CD
    > too, don't recall off the top of my head). I figured that I had a bad
    > Disk 1 and attempted to re-create them from XP DOS prompt, which failed
    > on Disk 1 and apparently ruined it.
    >

    Seems our problems were different. My problem was getting disk access.
    To get going with my maintenance floppies, I think I applied the
    latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and IBMATAPI.FLT (or
    IBMDECD.FLT), and that it was only later that I moved to the Dani versions.

    If you get PatchLDR.zip from Hobbes there is a file MEMTEST.EXE which
    will show you which switch to apply to patchLDR.exe, in my case /E820.
    It has to be applied to your new box. So you have to try to get an OS2
    prompt, either with the maintenance diskettes or with the AltF1 blob.
    You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install HPFSW2K.ZIP.

    Like Daniela I did not do an installation, which you are attempting. I
    cloned a functoning version to the new box, and am stuck, but got a bit
    further than you. Hope Bill can help us to get yet a bit further.

  9. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Mike Strickland wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> According to what I read at the site mentioned in my original post,
    >> Dani has managed to install on a box with AMD 64 and 1GB RAM - just
    >> what I'm attempting... The steps she listed made it sound simple.
    >>
    >> Will add the basedev line you suggest to Config.SYS if it isn't already
    >> there. My original setup was pretty ancient also - about 7 years old.
    >>
    >> Figure I probably need the patch, if I don't get a later OS2LDR, since
    >> I now have 1GB RAM. Found out the other day that the patch won't run
    >> from an XP DOS prompt, so I'll have to take the disk over to my
    >> friend's house to run it in an OS/2 VDM.
    >>
    >> Not using Dani's drivers on the floppies, but was using them (IDE and
    >> ATAPI) on my original setup and plan to use them on this setup if I can
    >> ever get an install. Is it just a matter of copying the ADD and FLT
    >> files to the floppies and adding lines to Config.SYS (remming original
    >> lines of course)?
    >>
    >> Still don't understand how I got further along the other day. My
    >> original problem (using floppies created from the 4.52 CD in my
    >> original setup) occurred after Disk 1 had completed and the screen
    >> requested Disk 2. The floppy drive kept turning on and off - putting
    >> Disk 2 in anyway resulted in much scrolling of error messages and a
    >> message about not being able to access the HD (maybe floppy and/or CD
    >> too, don't recall off the top of my head). I figured that I had a bad
    >> Disk 1 and attempted to re-create them from XP DOS prompt, which failed
    >> on Disk 1 and apparently ruined it.
    >>

    > Seems our problems were different. My problem was getting disk access.
    > To get going with my maintenance floppies, I think I applied the latest
    > versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and IBMATAPI.FLT (or IBMDECD.FLT),
    > and that it was only later that I moved to the Dani versions.
    >
    > If you get PatchLDR.zip from Hobbes there is a file MEMTEST.EXE which
    > will show you which switch to apply to patchLDR.exe, in my case /E820.
    > It has to be applied to your new box. So you have to try to get an OS2
    > prompt, either with the maintenance diskettes or with the AltF1 blob.
    > You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >
    > Like Daniela I did not do an installation, which you are attempting. I
    > cloned a functoning version to the new box, and am stuck, but got a bit
    > further than you. Hope Bill can help us to get yet a bit further.




    Toast the APM.SYS, testcfg.sys (hardly used realy) and remove
    ibmint13.sys should get your copied configuration running.



    Roderick Klein

  10. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Roderick Klein wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> According to what I read at the site mentioned in my original post,
    >>> Dani has managed to install on a box with AMD 64 and 1GB RAM - just
    >>> what I'm attempting... The steps she listed made it sound simple.
    >>>
    >>> Will add the basedev line you suggest to Config.SYS if it isn't already
    >>> there. My original setup was pretty ancient also - about 7 years old.
    >>>
    >>> Figure I probably need the patch, if I don't get a later OS2LDR, since
    >>> I now have 1GB RAM. Found out the other day that the patch won't run
    >>> from an XP DOS prompt, so I'll have to take the disk over to my
    >>> friend's house to run it in an OS/2 VDM.
    >>>
    >>> Not using Dani's drivers on the floppies, but was using them (IDE and
    >>> ATAPI) on my original setup and plan to use them on this setup if I can
    >>> ever get an install. Is it just a matter of copying the ADD and FLT
    >>> files to the floppies and adding lines to Config.SYS (remming original
    >>> lines of course)?
    >>>
    >>> Still don't understand how I got further along the other day. My
    >>> original problem (using floppies created from the 4.52 CD in my
    >>> original setup) occurred after Disk 1 had completed and the screen
    >>> requested Disk 2. The floppy drive kept turning on and off - putting
    >>> Disk 2 in anyway resulted in much scrolling of error messages and a
    >>> message about not being able to access the HD (maybe floppy and/or CD
    >>> too, don't recall off the top of my head). I figured that I had a bad
    >>> Disk 1 and attempted to re-create them from XP DOS prompt, which failed
    >>> on Disk 1 and apparently ruined it.
    >>>

    >> Seems our problems were different. My problem was getting disk
    >> access. To get going with my maintenance floppies, I think I applied
    >> the latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and IBMATAPI.FLT (or
    >> IBMDECD.FLT), and that it was only later that I moved to the Dani
    >> versions.
    >>
    >> If you get PatchLDR.zip from Hobbes there is a file MEMTEST.EXE which
    >> will show you which switch to apply to patchLDR.exe, in my case /E820.
    >> It has to be applied to your new box. So you have to try to get an
    >> OS2 prompt, either with the maintenance diskettes or with the AltF1
    >> blob. You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install
    >> HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >>
    >> Like Daniela I did not do an installation, which you are attempting.
    >> I cloned a functoning version to the new box, and am stuck, but got a
    >> bit further than you. Hope Bill can help us to get yet a bit further.

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Toast the APM.SYS, testcfg.sys (hardly used realy) and remove
    > ibmint13.sys should get your copied configuration running.
    >
    >
    >
    > Roderick Klein


    Thanks Roderick. Sure did not work for me! Have disk drives 2 x 200GB
    so I need type 48 LBA support and suppose that ibmint13.i13 gives that
    support.

    Krister

  11. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard wrote:

    > Seems our problems were different. My problem was getting disk

    access.
    > To get going with my maintenance floppies, I think I applied the
    > latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and IBMATAPI.FLT (or
    > IBMDECD.FLT), and that it was only later that I moved to the Dani

    versions.
    >
    > If you get PatchLDR.zip from Hobbes there is a file MEMTEST.EXE which


    > will show you which switch to apply to patchLDR.exe, in my case

    /E820.
    > It has to be applied to your new box. So you have to try to get an

    OS2
    > prompt, either with the maintenance diskettes or with the AltF1 blob.


    > You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >
    > Like Daniela I did not do an installation, which you are attempting.

    I
    > cloned a functoning version to the new box, and am stuck, but got a

    bit
    > further than you. Hope Bill can help us to get yet a bit further.



    When you refer to the latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and
    IBMATAPI.FLT, are you referring to the 4.52 version or is there a later
    version? Can I just replace them with Dani's S506 and ATAPI files? If
    so, what about OS2DASD.DMD?

    I have been unable to get to a command prompt, I get the trap I posted
    yesterday, but I haven't tried AltF1 at the OS/2 blob. Will give that a
    shot later and see if it works. Not sure if that will work either since
    MEMTEST requires DOS and I'm not sure if it will run under OS/2.

    I already have the PatchLdr file and have unzipped it. I attempted to
    run the patch program against the floppy version of OS2LDR, but it
    wouldn't work so I ran the patch program against the install I made on
    my friends box and copied it to my floppy - that got me the trap
    yesterday, but I think it's the same trap I got before. If I can get
    MEMTEST to run on the upgraded box (it won't run in a DOS window under
    XP, tried already) and find the switch to apply, can I do the patch on
    the version that I have on my friend's box (after copying the backup to
    the original filename) and then copy that to the floppy?

    Maybe I can just apply the patch with one switch, try it, and, if it
    doesn't work, try the other switch? It will have to be done to my
    friend's box though and I'll have to get the patched loader to
    floppy...

    Sure am glad he let me borrow his box until I can get things working...


  12. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure


    Krister Hallergard wrote:

    > You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    HPFSW2K.ZIP.

    Will this file allow me to access HPFS paritions? Will it allow me to
    copy files from HPFS to the XP parition (NTFS)?


  13. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    If you get the blob >> Alt F1 >> F6 (hardware detection off) ; maybe this
    will help. Did it for me.

    George

    "Mike Strickland" schreef in bericht
    news:1107633480.183147.293290@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    > > You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    > HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >
    > Will this file allow me to access HPFS paritions? Will it allow me to
    > copy files from HPFS to the XP parition (NTFS)?
    >




  14. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Roderick Klein wrote:
    >
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike Strickland wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> According to what I read at the site mentioned in my original post,
    >>>> Dani has managed to install on a box with AMD 64 and 1GB RAM - just
    >>>> what I'm attempting... The steps she listed made it sound simple.
    >>>>
    >>>> Will add the basedev line you suggest to Config.SYS if it isn't already
    >>>> there. My original setup was pretty ancient also - about 7 years old.
    >>>>
    >>>> Figure I probably need the patch, if I don't get a later OS2LDR, since
    >>>> I now have 1GB RAM. Found out the other day that the patch won't run
    >>>> from an XP DOS prompt, so I'll have to take the disk over to my
    >>>> friend's house to run it in an OS/2 VDM.
    >>>>
    >>>> Not using Dani's drivers on the floppies, but was using them (IDE and
    >>>> ATAPI) on my original setup and plan to use them on this setup if I can
    >>>> ever get an install. Is it just a matter of copying the ADD and FLT
    >>>> files to the floppies and adding lines to Config.SYS (remming original
    >>>> lines of course)?
    >>>>
    >>>> Still don't understand how I got further along the other day. My
    >>>> original problem (using floppies created from the 4.52 CD in my
    >>>> original setup) occurred after Disk 1 had completed and the screen
    >>>> requested Disk 2. The floppy drive kept turning on and off - putting
    >>>> Disk 2 in anyway resulted in much scrolling of error messages and a
    >>>> message about not being able to access the HD (maybe floppy and/or CD
    >>>> too, don't recall off the top of my head). I figured that I had a bad
    >>>> Disk 1 and attempted to re-create them from XP DOS prompt, which failed
    >>>> on Disk 1 and apparently ruined it.
    >>>>
    >>> Seems our problems were different. My problem was getting disk
    >>> access. To get going with my maintenance floppies, I think I applied
    >>> the latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and IBMATAPI.FLT (or
    >>> IBMDECD.FLT), and that it was only later that I moved to the Dani
    >>> versions.
    >>>
    >>> If you get PatchLDR.zip from Hobbes there is a file MEMTEST.EXE which
    >>> will show you which switch to apply to patchLDR.exe, in my case
    >>> /E820. It has to be applied to your new box. So you have to try to
    >>> get an OS2 prompt, either with the maintenance diskettes or with the
    >>> AltF1 blob. You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you
    >>> install HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >>>
    >>> Like Daniela I did not do an installation, which you are attempting.
    >>> I cloned a functoning version to the new box, and am stuck, but got a
    >>> bit further than you. Hope Bill can help us to get yet a bit further.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Toast the APM.SYS, testcfg.sys (hardly used realy) and remove
    >> ibmint13.sys should get your copied configuration running.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Roderick Klein

    >
    >
    > Thanks Roderick. Sure did not work for me! Have disk drives 2 x 200GB
    > so I need type 48 LBA support and suppose that ibmint13.i13 gives that
    > support.


    Are you installing MCP 1 or 2 or eCS any version? Then the default IBM
    or Dani drivers should work, since they had 48 bit LBA addressing for
    about the past five years or more. I'd recommend the latest Dani
    driver, renamed to IBM1s506.add, as she has the support for the latest
    in chips, whereas the IBM drivers do not have that support.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  15. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >
    >>You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    >
    > HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >
    > Will this file allow me to access HPFS paritions? Will it allow me to
    > copy files from HPFS to the XP parition (NTFS)?
    >

    The answer is yes!

  16. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Roderick. Sure did not work for me! Have disk drives 2 x 200GB
    >> so I need type 48 LBA support and suppose that ibmint13.i13 gives that
    >> support.

    >
    >
    > Are you installing MCP 1 or 2 or eCS any version? Then the default IBM
    > or Dani drivers should work, since they had 48 bit LBA addressing for
    > about the past five years or more. I'd recommend the latest Dani
    > driver, renamed to IBM1s506.add, as she has the support for the latest
    > in chips, whereas the IBM drivers do not have that support.


    Thanks Bill. I had a functioning MCP2 partition on the old box.
    Cloning this to the new box (AMD64, 1GB RAM, 2x200GB disk drives)I had
    problems with disk access, also from the AltF1 blob and from the
    maintenance diskettes. The problem with the maitenance diskettes were
    that they did not include ibmint.i13 as I had produced these diskettes
    on the old box which apparently did not require ibmint.i13. Applying
    the lastest IBM basedevice drivers or the latest Dani drivers solved the
    disk access problem. For DANIS506.ADD had to use the switch /!BIOS.

    So my problem is not disk access any more, it is the DOSCALL1.DLL
    failure, which comes at the very end of the booting process. Have
    changed to Danielaīs TESTCFG.SYS, remmed out all the APM related
    drivers, tried Veitīs APMAA64.SYS, on your suggestion Bill I have
    installed the EXPARTCP (except the newer basedevice drivers), applied
    the Danielaīs PatchLDR and tried various newer kernels. But I am stuck
    with the DOSCALL1.DLL failure.

    Was hoping we could help Mike so that he might join me in trying to
    solve the DOSCALL1.DLL problem

  17. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Seems our problems were different. My problem was getting disk

    >
    > access.
    >
    >> To get going with my maintenance floppies, I think I applied the
    >>latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and IBMATAPI.FLT (or
    >>IBMDECD.FLT), and that it was only later that I moved to the Dani

    >
    > versions.
    >
    >>If you get PatchLDR.zip from Hobbes there is a file MEMTEST.EXE which

    >
    >
    >>will show you which switch to apply to patchLDR.exe, in my case

    >
    > /E820.
    >
    >>It has to be applied to your new box. So you have to try to get an

    >
    > OS2
    >
    >>prompt, either with the maintenance diskettes or with the AltF1 blob.

    >
    >
    >>You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    >
    > HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >
    >>Like Daniela I did not do an installation, which you are attempting.

    >
    > I
    >
    >>cloned a functoning version to the new box, and am stuck, but got a

    >
    > bit
    >
    >>further than you. Hope Bill can help us to get yet a bit further.

    >
    >
    >
    > When you refer to the latest versions of IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD and
    > IBMATAPI.FLT, are you referring to the 4.52 version or is there a later
    > version? Can I just replace them with Dani's S506 and ATAPI files? If
    > so, what about OS2DASD.DMD?
    >
    > I have been unable to get to a command prompt, I get the trap I posted
    > yesterday, but I haven't tried AltF1 at the OS/2 blob. Will give that a
    > shot later and see if it works. Not sure if that will work either since
    > MEMTEST requires DOS and I'm not sure if it will run under OS/2.
    >
    > I already have the PatchLdr file and have unzipped it. I attempted to
    > run the patch program against the floppy version of OS2LDR, but it
    > wouldn't work so I ran the patch program against the install I made on
    > my friends box and copied it to my floppy - that got me the trap
    > yesterday, but I think it's the same trap I got before. If I can get
    > MEMTEST to run on the upgraded box (it won't run in a DOS window under
    > XP, tried already) and find the switch to apply, can I do the patch on
    > the version that I have on my friend's box (after copying the backup to
    > the original filename) and then copy that to the floppy?
    >
    > Maybe I can just apply the patch with one switch, try it, and, if it
    > doesn't work, try the other switch? It will have to be done to my
    > friend's box though and I'll have to get the patched loader to
    > floppy...
    >
    > Sure am glad he let me borrow his box until I can get things working...
    >

    To do the MEMTEST I used a Win98 boot diskette.

    As to versions of the basedevice drivers I am not sure. I think the
    4.52 drivers were not good enough for my 200GB drives. Anyway, I did
    get the latest IBM drivers.

    Yes, believe you can replace with the latest DANI drivers. Actually I
    prefer DAMIDASD.DMD as I can boot without being in the first partition
    on the first drive. I have had problems with the DANIS506.ADD, even
    with applying the switch /!BIOS, but think this is because I have more
    than one primary partition.

  18. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Roderick. Sure did not work for me! Have disk drives 2 x
    >>> 200GB so I need type 48 LBA support and suppose that ibmint13.i13
    >>> gives that support.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Are you installing MCP 1 or 2 or eCS any version? Then the default
    >> IBM or Dani drivers should work, since they had 48 bit LBA addressing
    >> for about the past five years or more. I'd recommend the latest Dani
    >> driver, renamed to IBM1s506.add, as she has the support for the latest
    >> in chips, whereas the IBM drivers do not have that support.

    >
    >
    > Thanks Bill. I had a functioning MCP2 partition on the old box. Cloning
    > this to the new box (AMD64, 1GB RAM, 2x200GB disk drives)I had problems
    > with disk access, also from the AltF1 blob and from the maintenance
    > diskettes. The problem with the maitenance diskettes were that they did
    > not include ibmint.i13 as I had produced these diskettes on the old box
    > which apparently did not require ibmint.i13. Applying the lastest IBM
    > basedevice drivers or the latest Dani drivers solved the disk access
    > problem. For DANIS506.ADD had to use the switch /!BIOS.
    >
    > So my problem is not disk access any more, it is the DOSCALL1.DLL
    > failure, which comes at the very end of the booting process. Have
    > changed to Danielaīs TESTCFG.SYS, remmed out all the APM related
    > drivers, tried Veitīs APMAA64.SYS, on your suggestion Bill I have
    > installed the EXPARTCP (except the newer basedevice drivers), applied
    > the Danielaīs PatchLDR and tried various newer kernels. But I am stuck
    > with the DOSCALL1.DLL failure.
    >
    > Was hoping we could help Mike so that he might join me in trying to
    > solve the DOSCALL1.DLL problem


    Correction, DANIS506.ADD does not work for me even with the /!BIOS
    switch. Gives drive access failure. Have to use IBM1S506.ADD. Have
    four primary partitions on this drive of which the second is OS2 4.52

  19. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:31:34 UTC, "Mike Strickland"
    wrote:

    : The system detected an internal processing error at location
    : ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c.
    : 60000, 9084
    :
    : 07861200
    : Internal Revision 14.089_W4

    Just for comparison,

    The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##0168:fff1ea1f - 000e:ca1f
    60000, 9084

    08861200
    Internal revision 14.100c_W4

    is what I was getting when eCS1.2 was trying to do APM on my Thinkpad.
    Close (addresses) but maybe no cigar.

    Ian

    --


  20. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 06:02:03 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    : Are you installing MCP 1 or 2 or eCS any version? Then the default IBM
    : or Dani drivers should work, since they had 48 bit LBA addressing for
    : about the past five years or more.

    For what it's worth, my Nice New Thinkpad falls over at install unless
    I use Dani's drivers in compatibility mode.

    Ian
    --


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast