OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2 ; Mike Strickland wrote: > Have gone to the site you suggested and downloaded w420050130.zip and > one called half strict (don't have a clue what that is) called > w420050130d.zip. Will try the w420050130.zip first. > > I see from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55

  1. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    > Have gone to the site you suggested and downloaded w420050130.zip

    and
    > one called half strict (don't have a clue what that is) called
    > w420050130d.zip. Will try the w420050130.zip first.
    >
    > I see from your sig that you're using eComStation, so I'll ask your
    > opinion on the question I posed in my earlier post about upgrading to
    > eComStation.

    Update:

    I copied the OS2LDR and OS2KRNL (renamed to OS2KRNLI) to my Install
    floppy. I still get the trap - info below.

    Exception in module OS2KRNL

    TRAP 000e ERRCD=0000 ERACC=**** ERLIM=********
    EAX=ffdfc000 EBX=00000000 ECX=0000f000 EDX=00000000
    ESI=FFFFFFFF EDI=00000000 EBP=000055f0 FLG=00013246
    CS:EIP=0168:fff3f6d7 CSACC=c09b CSLIM=ffffffff
    SS:ESP=0030:000055bc SSACC=1097 SSLIM=0000487f
    DS=0160 DSACC=c0f3 DSLIM=ffffffff CR0=8001001b
    ES=0160 ESACC=c0f3 ESLIM=ffffffff CR2=ffe38000
    FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
    GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********

    The system detected an internal processing error at location
    ##0168:ff1e9fb - 000e:c9fb.
    60000, 9084

    07869090
    Internal Revision 14.100o_W4

    The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and contact
    your service representative.

    Does this mean anything to anyone?

  2. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    >>Also I have edited OS2 config.sys and
    >>config.x from XP NTFS without problem so far.

    > I have seen this Config.X mentioned a couple of times. Is this a file
    > that I should look at editing on my floppies to aid installation?

    The config.x that I had in mind is the one at c:\os2\boot\config.x,
    which is the one used when you are starting with the AltF1 blob and F2.
    I prefer this to messing with the maitenance floppies.

    Yes there is also config.x on your floppies that you might have to edit.
    Believe config.x is invoked first and than config.sys, and I guess
    this has to to with changing floppies. Don┤t suppose they should be
    allowed to contradict eachother.

  3. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:37:48 UTC, "Mike Strickland"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> Mike Strickland wrote:
    -> > Have gone to the site you suggested and downloaded w420050130.zip
    -> and
    -> > one called half strict (don't have a clue what that is) called
    -> > w420050130d.zip. Will try the w420050130.zip first.
    -> >
[...]

    Not to me, but if you post it in comp.os.os2.bugs you may get some
    help. The kernel developer lurks there.

    mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  4. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:46:25 UTC, "Mike Strickland"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> Have gone to the site you suggested and downloaded w420050130.zip and
    -> one called half strict (don't have a clue what that is) called
    -> w420050130d.zip. Will try the w420050130.zip first.
    ->
    -> I see from your sig that you're using eComStation, so I'll ask your
    -> opinion on the question I posed in my earlier post about upgrading to
    -> eComStation.
    ->

    I just installed eCS 1.2 on a new Thinkpad T42p and the install was
    flawless but that was a Pentium M CPU. Serenity has a beta release of
    1.2 with fixes for installing on an Athlon64. I'm told it fixes a
    lot of problems with installing on that hardware but I have no
    experience since I don't have any.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  5. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sir:

    >>> Have you tried a CID install? Does the old machine still work? Do
    >>> you know which NIC driver is required by the new box? Then hook the
    >>> LAN up and try a CID install. Look in the /CID folder of the old
    >>> box, and the LAN CID Guide in the Assistance Center under
    >>> /Information/tasks. Suggesting this as a different view on the
    >>> problem. It just requires modifing the script used to install MCP2
    >>> on the old box to load the system needed by the new box.
    >>>
    >>> Or else create a new Boot CD. This just about the same task
    >>> complexity as the CID task.
    >>>
    >>> Use from the start the newest kernel, Danis' latest hard drive &
    >>> atapi drivers, her TESTCFG.SYS, Veit's APMAA64.SYS, and redo the MBR
    >>> and partitions using LVM and not anything else (Microsoft or Linux).
    >>> Use LVM during the boot install to mark the chosen volume as
    >>> installable. My bet is that you used Windows XP (or Windows anything
    >>> since 3.11) to make the partitions, and now the partitions are not
    >>> aline on cylinder boundries, causing these failures? Be sure that in
    >>> BIOS the IDE drive is recognized as LBA drive of the proper size and
    >>> the BIOS otherwise is at the factory defaults (not over clocked).
    >>> Disable the CPU caches, which was a trick used with prior new
    >>> technology and might be needed to get an install.
    >>>
    >>> Cutting edge technology makes one bleed a lot.

    >> Thanks Bill. I am not convinced that my problems are due to buggy
    >> partitions. I used a Ranish partion manager, a dos tool.

    > IF DFsee says the partitions are okay, then they are. Please check.
    > That does not hurt. DFsee is on Hobbes.

    Downloaded Dfsee and got four warning messages. First the disk layout:

    ID Dr Type, description Format OS GB
    Disk1
    01> C: Prim 0C FAT32-EXT FAT32 XP 188 Total 188
    Disk 2
    02 Free Space Wasted 0
    02 F: Prim 06 FAT16 FAT16 W95 2
    03 G: Prim 07 Inst-FS HPFS OS2 2
    04 Free Space Wasted (reserved for Linux) 8
    04> D: Prim 0C FAT32-EXT FAT32 W98 33
    05 E: Prim 07 Inst-FS NTFS W2k 144
    07 Free Space Wasted (reserved for PartMgr) 2 Total 191

    Warning messages as follows:
    1. Pid01 Partition doesn┤tend on the last head (cylinder boundary)
    2. Pid01 Partition extends beyound end of disk
    3. Pid04 Active (bootable) but not on 1st disk. Requires modern BIOS
    or smart MBR code to boot
    4. Pido4 Cylinder >1023 butMBR doesnot have I13x support!
    Use the ┤NEWMBR 1┤ command to refresh the MBR code.

    Warning 4 does also occur for Piod5 if that partition is the active one.
    On disk 2 I am using the Ranish compact partition manager for booting
    and that is what Dfsee finds in the MBR

    Warnings 1 and 2: The two disks are identical but Disk 1 shows 324
    fewer cylinders. The supplier did not include the XP CD in the delivery
    but a rescue disk (called Reload), which would reinstall Disk 1 from
    scratch using some 3 GB compressed and hidden files, XP and other
    bundled programs. This space does not show up in the partition table.
    The Disk 1 disk and partition structure is exactly as delivered. As per
    Ranish:

    HD1 188,242M [23,997cyls x255heads x63 sects =385,521,472 sects]
    Starting Ending Partition
    # Type Row System Type Cyl Head Sect Cyl Head Sect Size[KB]
    0 MBR Master Boot Record 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
    1 Pri Unused 0 0 2 0 0 63 31
    2 >Pri 1 Windows FAT-32LBA 0 1 1 23,997 153 27 192,760,704
    3 Pri Unused 23,997 153 28 23,997 153 28 0

    Could this be the reason why OS2 gives a late DOSCALL1.DLL boot failure
    when I use IBM1506.ADD or get early disk access boot failure when using
    DANI506.ADD?? Tried hiding the Pid01 partition, but no change.

    Disk 2 as per Ranish:
    HD2 190,782M [24,321cyls x255heads x63 sects =390,721,968 sects]
    Starting Ending Partition
    # Type Row System Type Cyl Head Sect Cyl Head Sect Size[KB]
    0 MBR Master Boot Record 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
    1 Pri Unused 0 0 2 0 254 63 8,032
    2 Pri 3 DOS FAT-16 1 0 1 260 254 63 2,088,450
    3 Pri 4 Windows NT NTFS 261 0 1 520 254 63 2,088,450
    4 Pri Unused 521 0 1 1,559 254 63 8,345,767
    5 >Pri 1 WindowsFAT-32LBA 1,560 0 1 5,715 254 63 33,383,070
    6 Pri 2 Windows NT NTFS 5,716 0 1 23,996 254 63146,842,132
    7 Pri Unused 23,997 0 1 24,321 80 63 2,605,081

    Any ideas?

  6. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
> [...]

    >> 7 Pri Unused 23,997 0 1 24,321 80 63 2,605,081
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > You have two choices: redo all the partitions using LVM to create the
    > partitions and have to reinstall everything (backup and restore is a
    > good ideal), or you can install another hard drive and put OS/2 on it.
    > Is Rannish a boot sector boot manager? If so, you are going to need to
    > lose it. It does not put the X13 marker that OS/2 expects and
    > installing LVM/newmbr:0 would wipe it out. Now Martin's Airboot has the
    > marker and is a MBR boot manager and has been proven to work with all
    > operating systems. Airboot is on Hobbes. If you do put OS/2 on a
    > separate disk, make its partition a logical one, using LVM. This will
    > require a temporary install of OS/2 Boot Manager at the end of the disk,
    > which you can delete later after the install is complete.

    Thank you Bill. Will have a look at Airboot. I have a spare harddisk
    and could use that for OS2 and proceed as you say. But will the other
    two buggy drives interfer with the boot process?

    Or if I use my Disk 1, and shrink the XP partition to add an OS2
    partition in the evacuated space (created by LVM), would that have a
    chance of working? (I am very reluctant to redo the XP partiton from
    scratch, especially since I have no way of putting the XP boot record back).

    As to redoing Disk 2 from scratch using LVM I am a bit reluctant to put
    in all that work without a guarantee of not getting stuck again with a
    DOSCALL1.DLL failure. The boot process goes on for quite a while.
    Believe the basedevice drivers all get installed, USB drivers,
    FAT32.IFS, UPF filesysten, Fax modem, ODIN, USBPRINT.SYS, FAT32 cache,
    and than there is a long wait ending in the DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Would
    the boot process go on for so long if tnecause is buggy partition table??

  7. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:

    >> You have two choices: redo all the partitions using LVM to create the
    >> partitions and have to reinstall everything (backup and restore is a
    >> good ideal), or you can install another hard drive and put OS/2 on it.
    >> Is Rannish a boot sector boot manager? If so, you are going to need
    >> to lose it. It does not put the X13 marker that OS/2 expects and
    >> installing LVM/newmbr:0 would wipe it out. Now Martin's Airboot has
    >> the marker and is a MBR boot manager and has been proven to work with
    >> all operating systems. Airboot is on Hobbes. If you do put OS/2 on a
    >> separate disk, make its partition a logical one, using LVM. This will
    >> require a temporary install of OS/2 Boot Manager at the end of the
    >> disk, which you can delete later after the install is complete.

    > Thank you Bill. Will have a look at Airboot. I have a spare harddisk
    > and could use that for OS2 and proceed as you say. But will the other
    > two buggy drives interfer with the boot process?
    >
    > Or if I use my Disk 1, and shrink the XP partition to add an OS2
    > partition in the evacuated space (created by LVM), would that have a
    > chance of working? (I am very reluctant to redo the XP partiton from
    > scratch, especially since I have no way of putting the XP boot record
    > back).
    >
    > As to redoing Disk 2 from scratch using LVM I am a bit reluctant to put
    > in all that work without a guarantee of not getting stuck again with a
    > DOSCALL1.DLL failure. The boot process goes on for quite a while.
    > Believe the basedevice drivers all get installed, USB drivers,
    > FAT32.IFS, UPF filesysten, Fax modem, ODIN, USBPRINT.SYS, FAT32 cache,
    > and than there is a long wait ending in the DOSCALL1.DLL failure. Would
    > the boot process go on for so long if tnecause is buggy partition table??

    I am not the expert on this. Believe it, the author of DFsee is. Buy
    DFsee, I believe Jan, the author, can tell you how to fix this without
    lost data.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Downloaded the driver and managed to get the information from one
    partition copied.

    There are two other partitions that it can't see.

    I took the drive out of the computer it was in and moved it to my
    friend's. Now that computer will not boot from HD - it appears that the
    drive that was originally in it is set to master and single. I can't
    find out how to get rid of the single part so I'm booting it with
    floppies and CD.

    I decided to try to install OS/2 to one of the partitions on the drive
    I moved, so I pulled the cable from the original drive in my friend's
    computer, attached my drive and changed the jumper to master.
    Attempting to install shows that the partition table is possibly
    corrupt - dunno where that came from since the partitons were created
    with LVM originally - mebbe the XP install to that drive did something
    (had originally intended to install both XP and OS/2 into partitons on
    this drive, but the XP partition wasn't large enough when I attempted
    to get service pack 2 and I just installed it on the RAID drive).

    At this point I had a brainstorm and figured that I could add the
    latest USB drivers to my boot floppies and possibly have access to my
    USB portable HD.

    Unpacking the drivers went just fine, they were unpacked to the I:
    partiton (one of the ones I need to copy). At that point, I could no
    longer perform any actions on I:. I can change to the drive letter, but
    DIR and any other commands I've tried fail with an unknown error - OS/2
    message file is unavailable.

    I have started copying the data from H: (the other partition I need to
    copy) using floppies and have all but given up after all day yesterday
    swapping diskettes - moving the data to the external drive via my
    wife's work notebook which has a 3.5 drive.

    If I can get my hands on a copy of the latest USB drivers, can I
    possibly access the USB HD? If so, could someone please unpack the file
    and send me the files in the package?

    What can I do to regain access to the partition that I have lost
    access to? Will CHKDSK fix it? Do I need to take the drive to pros?
    I've gotta have the data on the I: partiton at all costs.

  9. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:

    >>> You have two choices: redo all the partitions using LVM to create the
    >>> partitions and have to reinstall everything (backup and restore is a
    >>> good ideal), or you can install another hard drive and put OS/2 on
    >>> it. Is Rannish a boot sector boot manager? If so, you are going to
    >>> need to lose it. It does not put the X13 marker that OS/2 expects
    >>> and installing LVM/newmbr:0 would wipe it out. Now Martin's Airboot
    >>> has the marker and is a MBR boot manager and has been proven to work
    >>> with all operating systems. Airboot is on Hobbes. If you do put
    >>> OS/2 on a separate disk, make its partition a logical one, using
    >>> LVM. This will require a temporary install of OS/2 Boot Manager at
    >>> the end of the disk, which you can delete later after the install is
    >>> complete.

    >> Thank you Bill. Will have a look at Airboot. I have a spare harddisk
    >> and could use that for OS2 and proceed as you say. But will the
    >> other two buggy drives interfer with the boot process?
    >>
    >> Or if I use my Disk 1, and shrink the XP partition to add an OS2
    >> partition in the evacuated space (created by LVM), would that have a
    >> chance of working? (I am very reluctant to redo the XP partiton from
    >> scratch, especially since I have no way of putting the XP boot record
    >> back).
    >>
    >> As to redoing Disk 2 from scratch using LVM I am a bit reluctant to
    >> put in all that work without a guarantee of not getting stuck again
    >> with a DOSCALL1.DLL failure. The boot process goes on for quite a
    >> while. Believe the basedevice drivers all get installed, USB drivers,
    >> FAT32.IFS, UPF filesysten, Fax modem, ODIN, USBPRINT.SYS, FAT32 cache,
    >> and than there is a long wait ending in the DOSCALL1.DLL failure.
    >> Would the boot process go on for so long if tnecause is buggy
    >> partition table??

    > I am not the expert on this. Believe it, the author of DFsee is. Buy
    > DFsee, I believe Jan, the author, can tell you how to fix this without
    > lost data.

    Found out why I had problems with using DANIS506.ADD. I had used
    BASEDEV=DANIDASD.DMD /MT:Ad /BD:C to boot the fourth partition on
    Disk 2, which I had set as boot disk in BIOS. (With this setting the
    W2k Boot.ini refers to the disk as "disk 0" which lead med to believe I
    should use A for the first disk) But I should have used /MT:Bd!

    Apart from being able to use DANIS506.ADD, nothing changed.
    DOSCALL1.DLL failure towards the end of the boot process.

  10. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:

    >>> Thank you Bill. Will have a look at Airboot. I have a spare
    >>> harddisk and could use that for OS2 and proceed as you say. But
    >>> will the other two buggy drives interfer with the boot process?
    >>>
    >>> Or if I use my Disk 1, and shrink the XP partition to add an OS2
    >>> partition in the evacuated space (created by LVM), would that have a
    >>> chance of working? (I am very reluctant to redo the XP partiton from
    >>> scratch, especially since I have no way of putting the XP boot record
    >>> back).
    >>>
    >>> As to redoing Disk 2 from scratch using LVM I am a bit reluctant to
    >>> put in all that work without a guarantee of not getting stuck again
    >>> with a DOSCALL1.DLL failure. The boot process goes on for quite a
    >>> while. Believe the basedevice drivers all get installed, USB drivers,
    >>> FAT32.IFS, UPF filesysten, Fax modem, ODIN, USBPRINT.SYS, FAT32
    >>> cache, and than there is a long wait ending in the DOSCALL1.DLL
    >>> failure. Would the boot process go on for so long if tnecause is
    >>> buggy partition table??

    >> I am not the expert on this. Believe it, the author of DFsee is. Buy
    >> DFsee, I believe Jan, the author, can tell you how to fix this without
    >> lost data.

    > Found out why I had problems with using DANIS506.ADD. I had used
    > BASEDEV=DANIDASD.DMD /MT:Ad /BD:C to boot the fourth partition on
    > Disk 2, which I had set as boot disk in BIOS. (With this setting the
    > W2k Boot.ini refers to the disk as "disk 0" which lead med to believe I
    > should use A for the first disk) But I should have used /MT:Bd!
    >
    > Apart from being able to use DANIS506.ADD, nothing changed. DOSCALL1.DLL
    > failure towards the end of the boot process.

    So I decided to add another 3GB disk drive with one only partition for
    OS2 HPFS. Implemented all the patches I know that are recommended for
    AMD Athlon 64, and made sure this worked on my old box. Without any
    changes at all I moved this disk drive to my new box and booted:
    DOSCALL1.DLL failure towards the end of the boot process. Is the
    problem the other two 200GB disk drives with buggy MBR or is it the AMD
    64 CPU?

  11. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sir:

    >>> I am not the expert on this. Believe it, the author of DFsee is.
    >>> Buy DFsee, I believe Jan, the author, can tell you how to fix this
    >>> without lost data.

    >> Found out why I had problems with using DANIS506.ADD. I had used
    >> BASEDEV=DANIDASD.DMD /MT:Ad /BD:C to boot the fourth partition on
    >> Disk 2, which I had set as boot disk in BIOS. (With this setting the
    >> W2k Boot.ini refers to the disk as "disk 0" which lead med to believe
    >> I should use A for the first disk) But I should have used /MT:Bd!
    >>
    >> Apart from being able to use DANIS506.ADD, nothing changed.
    >> DOSCALL1.DLL failure towards the end of the boot process.

    > So I decided to add another 3GB disk drive with one only partition for
    > OS2 HPFS. Implemented all the patches I know that are recommended for
    > AMD Athlon 64, and made sure this worked on my old box. Without any
    > changes at all I moved this disk drive to my new box and booted:
    > DOSCALL1.DLL failure towards the end of the boot process. Is the
    > problem the other two 200GB disk drives with buggy MBR or is it the AMD
    > 64 CPU?

    Disconnected the two big buggy drives, but still got the DOSCALL1.DLL
    failure. Seems as the usual AMD64 problem. Must have missed something.

  12. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard schrieb:

    > Disconnected the two big buggy drives, but still got the DOSCALL1.DLL
    > failure. Seems as the usual AMD64 problem. Must have missed something.

    Try it with at most 512MB Ram.

    Hendrik

  13. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard schrieb:
    >
    >>Disconnected the two big buggy drives, but still got the DOSCALL1.DLL
    >>failure. Seems as the usual AMD64 problem. Must have missed something.

    > Try it with at most 512MB Ram.
    >
    > Hendrik

    Thank you Hendrik. Tried it and am afraid it did not work, still
    DOSCALL1.DLL failure

    Krister

  14. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > Hendrik Schmieder wrote:
    >
    >> Krister Hallergard schrieb:
    >>
    >>> Disconnected the two big buggy drives, but still got the DOSCALL1.DLL
    >>> failure. Seems as the usual AMD64 problem. Must have missed something.

    >> Try it with at most 512MB Ram.
    >>
    >> Hendrik

    > Thank you Hendrik. Tried it and am afraid it did not work, still
    > DOSCALL1.DLL failure

    Does the error message give to you an ordinal number of the failing
    call? Maybe someone will recognize and have a suggestion? I'm out of
    ideals.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  15. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >
    >> Hendrik Schmieder wrote:

    >>> Try it with at most 512MB Ram.
    >>>
    >>> Hendrik

    >> Thank you Hendrik. Tried it and am afraid it did not work, still
    >> DOSCALL1.DLL failure
    >>

    > Does the error message give to you an ordinal number of the failing
    > call? Maybe someone will recognize and have a suggestion? I'm out of
    > ideals.

    Thanks Bill. If it is the popupos2 you asking about, this is it:

    02-24-2005 08:32:39 SYS3175 PID 0014 TID 0001 Slot 0009
    C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    c0000005
    1c039fda
    P1=00000000 P2=ffffffff P3=XXXXXXXX P4=XXXXXXXX
    EAX=00009807 EBX=0000ef7e ECX=00000000 EDX=c4280000
    ESI=00040000 EDI=f40f0327
    DS=0000 DSACC=**** DSLIM=********
    ES=9807 ESACC=00f3 ESLIM=0000113f
    FS=9807 FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=0000113f
    GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
    CS:EIP=e01f:00009fda CSACC=00df CSLIM=0000dd58
    SS:ESP=0047:0000ef5a SSACC=00f3 SSLIM=0000efff
    EBP=0004ef82 FLG=00012246

    DOSCALL1.DLL 0003:00009fda

    Does anyone recognize this??

+ Reply to Thread