OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2 ; Sir: Ian Johnston wrote: > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:31:34 UTC, "Mike Strickland" > wrote: > > : The system detected an internal processing error at location > : ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c. > : 60000, 9084 > : > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:31:34 UTC, "Mike Strickland"
    > wrote:
    >
    > : The system detected an internal processing error at location
    > : ##0168:fff1eb1c - 000e:cb1c.
    > : 60000, 9084
    > :
    > : 07861200
    > : Internal Revision 14.089_W4
    >
    > Just for comparison,
    >
    > The system detected an internal processing error at
    > location ##0168:fff1ea1f - 000e:ca1f
    > 60000, 9084
    >
    > 08861200
    > Internal revision 14.100c_W4
    >
    > is what I was getting when eCS1.2 was trying to do APM on my Thinkpad.
    > Close (addresses) but maybe no cigar.

    FYI: Those addresses reported there is the address of the error
    reporting routine in the kernel. That address will change between
    builds of the kernel as the size of the kernel changes. The important
    information as to the location of the fault and what it was doing is in
    the information above this line in the trap screen. In other words, you
    just reported that the error routine worked, and nothing more.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:25:00 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    : FYI: Those addresses reported there is the address of the error
    : reporting routine in the kernel. That address will change between
    : builds of the kernel as the size of the kernel changes. The important
    : information as to the location of the fault and what it was doing is in
    : the information above this line in the trap screen. In other words, you
    : just reported that the error routine worked, and nothing more.

    Thanks! My bad.

    Ian

    --

  3. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:

    > Correction, DANIS506.ADD does not work for me even with the /!BIOS
    > switch. Gives drive access failure. Have to use IBM1S506.ADD. Have
    > four primary partitions on this drive of which the second is OS2 4.52

    Have you tried a CID install? Does the old machine still work? Do you
    know which NIC driver is required by the new box? Then hook the LAN up
    and try a CID install. Look in the /CID folder of the old box, and the
    LAN CID Guide in the Assistance Center under /Information/tasks.
    Suggesting this as a different view on the problem. It just requires
    modifing the script used to install MCP2 on the old box to load the
    system needed by the new box.

    Or else create a new Boot CD. This just about the same task complexity
    as the CID task.

    Use from the start the newest kernel, Danis' latest hard drive & atapi
    drivers, her TESTCFG.SYS, Veit's APMAA64.SYS, and redo the MBR and
    partitions using LVM and not anything else (Microsoft or Linux). Use
    LVM during the boot install to mark the chosen volume as installable.
    My bet is that you used Windows XP (or Windows anything since 3.11) to
    make the partitions, and now the partitions are not aline on cylinder
    boundries, causing these failures? Be sure that in BIOS the IDE drive
    is recognized as LBA drive of the proper size and the BIOS otherwise is
    at the factory defaults (not over clocked). Disable the CPU caches,
    which was a trick used with prior new technology and might be needed to
    get an install.

    Cutting edge technology makes one bleed a lot.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Ian Johnston wrote:

    > Thanks! My bad.

    I made the same mistake eight years or so ago.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:59:56 UTC Krister Hallergard
    wrote:

    > Mike Strickland wrote:
    > > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > >

    > >>You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    > > HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    > >
    > > Will this file allow me to access HPFS paritions? Will it allow me to
    > > copy files from HPFS to the XP parition (NTFS)?
    > >

    > The answer is yes!

    More correctly, the answer is "maybe", not catagorically "yes". The
    hpfs ifs comes from NT 3.5 and will NOT handle large partitions. I'm
    trying to recall the exact break points but there are 2 distinct ones
    AIR from messing with this over the years. The first is something
    like 4 gig +- where writes wrap (a BAD thing!). The other, best I
    reacall was larger, maybe 8 gig or so, beyond which W2K/XP simply
    refuse to accept the partition as being formatted. Use care and don't
    count on those numbers without testing first as I haven't done more
    than cursory looks since NT 4 and I can't be sure about the sizes but
    the limitations still exist as I tried the W2k version just last week.

    FWIW, I had some nasty corruption problems using the hpfs drivers
    under both NT 4 and W2K on partitions where the drive was larger than
    8 gig as well. It's been a crap shoot for me - now I treat the HPFS
    partitions as readonly and use the ntfs ifs to go the other way back
    to hpfs under OS/2.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >>You can edit the \os2\boot\config.x from XP if you install

    > HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >
    > Will this file allow me to access HPFS paritions? Will it allow me to
    > copy files from HPFS to the XP parition (NTFS)?

    Reading the thread quickly. Get the latest kernel from testcase from IBM
    (don't have th link handy) and latest loader. MCP 2 has quite an "old"
    kernel.

    Roderick Klein

  7. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Krister Hallergard wrote:

    > To do the MEMTEST I used a Win98 boot diskette.
    >
    > As to versions of the basedevice drivers I am not sure. I think the
    > 4.52 drivers were not good enough for my 200GB drives. Anyway, I did

    > get the latest IBM drivers.
    >
    > Yes, believe you can replace with the latest DANI drivers. Actually I

    > prefer DAMIDASD.DMD as I can boot without being in the first

    partition
    > on the first drive. I have had problems with the DANIS506.ADD, even
    > with applying the switch /!BIOS, but think this is because I have

    more
    > than one primary partition.

    Thanks for the tip about Win98 - I think I have one of those sitting
    around somewhere...

    I have not had problems in the past with DANIS506.ADD, had 4 (IIRC)
    primary partitions on 2 different drives. This setup has 3 primary
    partitions, I'm pretty sure.

  8. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Will give that a shot. I get OS/2 in the upper corner of the screen
    during the Install Disk IIRC and I assume that's what you're referring
    to.

    Were you working on similar hardware?

  9. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    So, if I understand correctly, I can use the driver to copy information
    from HPFS to NTFS - no writing to HPFS. I'm not interested in using any
    apps to access the HPFS partitions, just copy it to another drive for
    safe keeping while I play with installing OS/2.

    IIRC, one if the partitions is 19 gig - do I understand correctly that
    I can't even read that partition? Will there be hell to pay if I try?

  10. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    I downloaded what I think is the latest testcase, but XP says I need a
    password to unzip the package. Any place I can get a copy of the loader
    and kernal that isn't password protected?

    Might it be worth my while to go ahead and invest in eCommStation's
    latest version? I was reading on their site that they've released a
    version that's supposed to install on AMD 64 "problem systems".

  11. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Will Honea wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:59:56 UTC Krister Hallergard
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Mike Strickland wrote:

    >>>HPFSW2K.ZIP.
    >>>
    >>>Will this file allow me to access HPFS paritions? Will it allow me to
    >>>copy files from HPFS to the XP parition (NTFS)?
    >>>

    >>The answer is yes!

    > More correctly, the answer is "maybe", not catagorically "yes". The
    > hpfs ifs comes from NT 3.5 and will NOT handle large partitions. I'm
    > trying to recall the exact break points but there are 2 distinct ones
    > AIR from messing with this over the years. The first is something
    > like 4 gig +- where writes wrap (a BAD thing!). The other, best I
    > reacall was larger, maybe 8 gig or so, beyond which W2K/XP simply
    > refuse to accept the partition as being formatted. Use care and don't
    > count on those numbers without testing first as I haven't done more
    > than cursory looks since NT 4 and I can't be sure about the sizes but
    > the limitations still exist as I tried the W2k version just last week.
    >

    > FWIW, I had some nasty corruption problems using the hpfs drivers
    > under both NT 4 and W2K on partitions where the drive was larger than
    > 8 gig as well. It's been a crap shoot for me - now I treat the HPFS
    > partitions as readonly and use the ntfs ifs to go the other way back
    > to hpfs under OS/2.

    Thanks for the correction Will. So far I have not had any problems
    copying files to my 2GB OS2 HPFS partition from my XP 140GB NTFS
    partition and vice versa. Also I have edited OS2 config.sys and
    config.x from XP NTFS without problem so far.

  12. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >

    >> Correction, DANIS506.ADD does not work for me even with the /!BIOS
    >> switch. Gives drive access failure. Have to use IBM1S506.ADD. Have
    >> four primary partitions on this drive of which the second is OS2 4.52
    >>

    > Have you tried a CID install? Does the old machine still work? Do you
    > know which NIC driver is required by the new box? Then hook the LAN up
    > and try a CID install. Look in the /CID folder of the old box, and the
    > LAN CID Guide in the Assistance Center under /Information/tasks.
    > Suggesting this as a different view on the problem. It just requires
    > modifing the script used to install MCP2 on the old box to load the
    > system needed by the new box.
    >
    > Or else create a new Boot CD. This just about the same task complexity
    > as the CID task.
    >
    > Use from the start the newest kernel, Danis' latest hard drive & atapi
    > drivers, her TESTCFG.SYS, Veit's APMAA64.SYS, and redo the MBR and
    > partitions using LVM and not anything else (Microsoft or Linux). Use
    > LVM during the boot install to mark the chosen volume as installable. My
    > bet is that you used Windows XP (or Windows anything since 3.11) to make
    > the partitions, and now the partitions are not aline on cylinder
    > boundries, causing these failures? Be sure that in BIOS the IDE drive
    > is recognized as LBA drive of the proper size and the BIOS otherwise is
    > at the factory defaults (not over clocked). Disable the CPU caches,
    > which was a trick used with prior new technology and might be needed to
    > get an install.
    >
    > Cutting edge technology makes one bleed a lot.

    Thanks Bill. I am not convinced that my problems are due to buggy
    partitions. I used a Ranish partion manager, a dos tool.

  13. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:11:11 UTC "Mike Strickland"
    wrote:

    > So, if I understand correctly, I can use the driver to copy information
    > from HPFS to NTFS - no writing to HPFS. I'm not interested in using any
    > apps to access the HPFS partitions, just copy it to another drive for
    > safe keeping while I play with installing OS/2.
    >
    > IIRC, one if the partitions is 19 gig - do I understand correctly that
    > I can't even read that partition? Will there be hell to pay if I try?

    I'm trying to remember what NT did with a 10 gig HPFS partition -
    without much luck. AIR, W2K just flat refused to recognize the
    formatting on the partition when it got too big (wanted me to format
    it - right!). If you do read-only access you should be OK. Just be
    aware that Win will not handle EA's, regardless of format.

    I don't know about where exactly I ran into repeatable write
    corruption, but I have this vague recollection of it being on HPFS
    partitions > 4 gig. I may be wrong there, but I never had any issues
    with r/w from NT or W2K on HPFS partitions below the 2.1 gig size -
    same limits as for FAT 16 so that's usually what I used for transfer
    partitions.

    My solution for this situation, BTW, was a network cable between two
    computers. One ran OS/2, the other ran W2K. NETBEUI made short work
    of the format and file sharing issue .

    --
    Will Honea

  14. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Krister Hallergard wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Krister Hallergard wrote:
    >>

    >>> Correction, DANIS506.ADD does not work for me even with the /!BIOS
    >>> switch. Gives drive access failure. Have to use IBM1S506.ADD. Have
    >>> four primary partitions on this drive of which the second is OS2 4.52
    >>>

    >> Have you tried a CID install? Does the old machine still work? Do
    >> you know which NIC driver is required by the new box? Then hook the
    >> LAN up and try a CID install. Look in the /CID folder of the old box,
    >> and the LAN CID Guide in the Assistance Center under
    >> /Information/tasks. Suggesting this as a different view on the
    >> problem. It just requires modifing the script used to install MCP2 on
    >> the old box to load the system needed by the new box.
    >>
    >> Or else create a new Boot CD. This just about the same task
    >> complexity as the CID task.
    >>
    >> Use from the start the newest kernel, Danis' latest hard drive & atapi
    >> drivers, her TESTCFG.SYS, Veit's APMAA64.SYS, and redo the MBR and
    >> partitions using LVM and not anything else (Microsoft or Linux). Use
    >> LVM during the boot install to mark the chosen volume as installable.
    >> My bet is that you used Windows XP (or Windows anything since 3.11) to
    >> make the partitions, and now the partitions are not aline on cylinder
    >> boundries, causing these failures? Be sure that in BIOS the IDE drive
    >> is recognized as LBA drive of the proper size and the BIOS otherwise
    >> is at the factory defaults (not over clocked). Disable the CPU
    >> caches, which was a trick used with prior new technology and might be
    >> needed to get an install.
    >>
    >> Cutting edge technology makes one bleed a lot.

    > Thanks Bill. I am not convinced that my problems are due to buggy
    > partitions. I used a Ranish partion manager, a dos tool.

    IF DFsee says the partitions are okay, then they are. Please check.
    That does not hurt. DFsee is on Hobbes.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  15. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:15:01 UTC, "Mike Strickland"
    wrote:

    -> I downloaded what I think is the latest testcase, but XP says I need a
    -> password to unzip the package. Any place I can get a copy of the loader
    -> and kernal that isn't password protected?
    ->
    -> Might it be worth my while to go ahead and invest in eCommStation's
    -> latest version? I was reading on their site that they've released a
    -> version that's supposed to install on AMD 64 "problem systems".
    ->

    Where did you get them? The kernels on testcase are not password
    protected, but some private fix files are. See
    http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernel/index.html for an archive of
    recent updates. The testcase site itself is cleared off after a few
    days, so at present there aren't any on it.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  16. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Will Honea wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:11:11 UTC "Mike Strickland"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So, if I understand correctly, I can use the driver to copy

    information
    > > from HPFS to NTFS - no writing to HPFS. I'm not interested in using

    any
    > > apps to access the HPFS partitions, just copy it to another drive

    for
    > > safe keeping while I play with installing OS/2.
    > >
    > > IIRC, one if the partitions is 19 gig - do I understand correctly

    that
    > > I can't even read that partition? Will there be hell to pay if I

    try?

    > I'm trying to remember what NT did with a 10 gig HPFS partition -
    > without much luck. AIR, W2K just flat refused to recognize the
    > formatting on the partition when it got too big (wanted me to format
    > it - right!). If you do read-only access you should be OK. Just be
    > aware that Win will not handle EA's, regardless of format.
    >
    > I don't know about where exactly I ran into repeatable write
    > corruption, but I have this vague recollection of it being on HPFS
    > partitions > 4 gig. I may be wrong there, but I never had any issues

    > with r/w from NT or W2K on HPFS partitions below the 2.1 gig size -
    > same limits as for FAT 16 so that's usually what I used for transfer
    > partitions.
    >
    > My solution for this situation, BTW, was a network cable between two
    > computers. One ran OS/2, the other ran W2K. NETBEUI made short work

    > of the format and file sharing issue .
    >
    > --
    > Will Honea

    Thanks, I think I'll give it a try since no harm will be done. If it
    works, at least I can see the files and get them to a safer location...

  17. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    >Also I have edited OS2 config.sys and
    >config.x from XP NTFS without problem so far.

    I have seen this Config.X mentioned a couple of times. Is this a file
    that I should look at editing on my floppies to aid installation?

  18. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Have gone to the site you suggested and downloaded w420050130.zip and
    one called half strict (don't have a clue what that is) called
    w420050130d.zip. Will try the w420050130.zip first.

    I see from your sig that you're using eComStation, so I'll ask your
    opinion on the question I posed in my earlier post about upgrading to
    eComStation.

  19. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    While trying to find a Win98 boot diskette, I ran across an IBM DOS 3.3
    diskette and gave it a shot. MEMTEST completed and here's the result:

    INT 12 returns: 626 KiBytes
    INT 15 (88) returns: 64512 KiBytes above 1 MiB
    INT 15 (C0) returns: PS/2 function INT 15 (C7) is not supported
    INT 15 (DA88) returns: not supported
    INT 15 (E801) returns: 1046784 KiBytes above 1 MiB available
    1046784 KiBytes above 1 MiB
    configured
    INT 15 (E820) returns memory list:
    639 KiBytes @ 0 K
    1046720 KiBytes @ 1024 K

    no patch required

    I don't understand these results, since all that I have read indicates
    that there should be a patch needed for newer hardware.

  20. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Did the Alt F1 and F6 to turn off hardware detection - still get the
    trap in the kernel, so I don't think that hardware detection is the
    problem. If I can get to the point that I was at to start with - at the
    end of Disk 1, asking for Disk 2 and the error about not being able to
    access drives, I might give it a shot again.