OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2

This is a discussion on OS/2 4.52 Installation failure - OS2 ; I am attempting to install OS/2 4.2 (convenience pack 2) onto the following hardware: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MoBo AMD Athlon 64 processor I have one SATA RAID drive with XP on it, one ancient WD 4GB and a newer ...

  1. OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    I am attempting to install OS/2 4.2 (convenience pack 2) onto the
    following hardware:

    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MoBo
    AMD Athlon 64 processor

    I have one SATA RAID drive with XP on it, one ancient WD 4GB and a
    newer WD 40GB. The 4GB is already an OS/2 HPFS data drive (I only left
    it in the box to get the info off it) and the 40GB has a partition set
    up for booting, a DOS partition and a HPFS data partition. I am trying
    to install OS/2 onto the 40GB into the partition set up for booting.
    NOTE: I created this partition prior to the system upgrade and never
    installed to it.

    I am using a DVD/CD RW drive - I believe ASUS (my Daughter provided
    all the hardware and installation into my box as a Christmas present
    and I see no identifying marks on the drive).

    I followed the instructions I found online at
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...4H/vnewsft.htm about
    removing TESTCFG.SYS and APM.SYS from the CONFIG.SYS on the boot
    floppies. Note: I used 4.51 to create the floppies.

    The installation proceeds through the Installation Disk, and Disk 1,
    but Disk 1 never seems to finish. The screen requests Disk 2, but the
    floppy drive (not a new drive) is still acting like it's reading off
    and on in a regular pattern.

    If I put in Disk 2, a bunch of errors flash up the screen and then I
    get:

    " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system
    is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."

    I figured that it was possible that the Disk 1 floppy was bad and
    attempted to create the floppies from the 4.52 CD, after booting into
    XP. This fails when attempting to create Disk 1.

    At this point, I'm stuck. I don't know much about what I'm doing here
    and would appreciate any help offered. In particular, how to create
    the boot floppies from the 4.52 CD and any drivers I need to
    add/remove from the floppies. It seems I saw something some time back
    about a problem creating the floppies under 4.52, but I don't recall
    what the solution was.

    In the information I read at the above mentioned website, it was also
    suggested to get the latest OS2LDR and run the PatchLdr utility on it.
    I dunno anything about this suggestion. The OS2LDR is what came on the
    Software Choice CD. - I could try to get the one from the 4.52 CD
    instead of the 4.51 CD if that would make a difference.

    Thanks in advance for your help. Please CC replies to my email or
    contact me directly via email as the system I'm using for posting here
    is rather primitive and I don't want to miss out on any suggestions.

  2. Re: OS/2 4.52 Installation failure

    Sir:

    Mike Strickland wrote:
    > I am attempting to install OS/2 4.2 (convenience pack 2) onto the
    > following hardware:
    >
    > ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MoBo
    > AMD Athlon 64 processor
    >
    > I have one SATA RAID drive with XP on it, one ancient WD 4GB and a
    > newer WD 40GB. The 4GB is already an OS/2 HPFS data drive (I only left
    > it in the box to get the info off it) and the 40GB has a partition set
    > up for booting, a DOS partition and a HPFS data partition. I am trying
    > to install OS/2 onto the 40GB into the partition set up for booting.
    > NOTE: I created this partition prior to the system upgrade and never
    > installed to it.
    >
    > I am using a DVD/CD RW drive - I believe ASUS (my Daughter provided
    > all the hardware and installation into my box as a Christmas present
    > and I see no identifying marks on the drive).
    >
    > I followed the instructions I found online at
    > http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...4H/vnewsft.htm about
    > removing TESTCFG.SYS and APM.SYS from the CONFIG.SYS on the boot
    > floppies. Note: I used 4.51 to create the floppies.
    >
    > The installation proceeds through the Installation Disk, and Disk 1,
    > but Disk 1 never seems to finish. The screen requests Disk 2, but the
    > floppy drive (not a new drive) is still acting like it's reading off
    > and on in a regular pattern.
    >
    > If I put in Disk 2, a bunch of errors flash up the screen and then I
    > get:
    >
    > " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system
    > is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."
    >
    > I figured that it was possible that the Disk 1 floppy was bad and
    > attempted to create the floppies from the 4.52 CD, after booting into
    > XP. This fails when attempting to create Disk 1.
    >
    > At this point, I'm stuck. I don't know much about what I'm doing here
    > and would appreciate any help offered. In particular, how to create
    > the boot floppies from the 4.52 CD and any drivers I need to
    > add/remove from the floppies. It seems I saw something some time back
    > about a problem creating the floppies under 4.52, but I don't recall
    > what the solution was.
    >
    > In the information I read at the above mentioned website, it was also
    > suggested to get the latest OS2LDR and run the PatchLdr utility on it.
    > I dunno anything about this suggestion. The OS2LDR is what came on the
    > Software Choice CD. - I could try to get the one from the 4.52 CD
    > instead of the 4.51 CD if that would make a difference.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. Please CC replies to my email or
    > contact me directly via email as the system I'm using for posting here
    > is rather primitive and I don't want to miss out on any suggestions.

    Stick the IDE drive into an existing machine that has OS/2 on it. Xcopy
    the existing system on to that volume. Modify to remove APM and Testcfg
    drivers from config.sys. Move the disk back to the new machine. It
    should now boot. You'll have to go through the process of changing the
    LAN NIC and audio drivers, but since you are using SNAP or SNAPse on the
    old machine, video should work on the new machine.

    This is the easiest way, believe it or not, of getting AMD64 working
    with OS/2.

    BTW, You cannot use boot floppies for 4.51 to boot 4.52 CD. You'll have
    a version mismatch between kernels and other files. Use the 'create
    boot floppies' on the 4.52 CD to make yourself a new set of boot
    floppies. Modify the new floppies like you did as per the Voice article.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

+ Reply to Thread