USB serial converter driver - OS2

This is a discussion on USB serial converter driver - OS2 ; I have tried a number of USB to serial port converters, and cannot get any of them to work with my Thinkpad T41 laptop. They install as COM5, but I seem unable to get any response. I believe I have ...

  1. USB serial converter driver

    I have tried a number of USB to serial port converters, and cannot get any
    of them to work with my Thinkpad T41 laptop. They install as COM5, but I
    seem unable to get any response. I believe I have the latest drivers
    available from the eCS site. One unit is a Belkin F5U109, another I think
    is an ABit UC-232A, and a third the IBM USB parallel/serial port adapter
    (cannot remember the model number right now).

    Has anybody had any success with USB serial converters at all?

    Regards, Arnstein.

  2. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Sir:

    Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    > I have tried a number of USB to serial port converters, and cannot get any
    > of them to work with my Thinkpad T41 laptop. They install as COM5, but I
    > seem unable to get any response. I believe I have the latest drivers
    > available from the eCS site. One unit is a Belkin F5U109, another I think
    > is an ABit UC-232A, and a third the IBM USB parallel/serial port adapter
    > (cannot remember the model number right now).
    >
    > Has anybody had any success with USB serial converters at all?

    Did you export the com port? Eg. add the /com:5 switch to the USB driver?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    > I have tried a number of USB to serial port converters, and cannot get any
    > of them to work with my Thinkpad T41 laptop. They install as COM5, but I
    > seem unable to get any response. I believe I have the latest drivers
    > available from the eCS site. One unit is a Belkin F5U109, another I think
    > is an ABit UC-232A, and a third the IBM USB parallel/serial port adapter
    > (cannot remember the model number right now).
    >
    > Has anybody had any success with USB serial converters at all?

    Yes, I do. I've been running two different USB-serial adapters: ATEN
    UC-232A (Prolific PL2303 based, USB Vendor ID:0557, Product ID:2008) and
    Digitus USB2.0 USB Serial Converter (FTDI FT8U232AM based, USB Vendor ID
    :0403, Product ID:6001). The USB IDs are readouts from the USB
    resource manager application. The USBSer.sys driver recognizes only a
    few of the many USB IDs, so you might need to override it on the driver
    command line!

    Ciao,
    Dani

  4. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    > I have tried a number of USB to serial port converters, and cannot get any
    > of them to work with my Thinkpad T41 laptop. They install as COM5, but I
    > seem unable to get any response. I believe I have the latest drivers
    > available from the eCS site. One unit is a Belkin F5U109, another I think
    > is an ABit UC-232A, and a third the IBM USB parallel/serial port adapter
    > (cannot remember the model number right now).
    >
    > Has anybody had any success with USB serial converters at all?
    >
    > Regards, Arnstein.

    Yes I have. I bought an SSU-100 from Quatech (available for instance on
    cdw.com) a few months ago. I just installed the driver from
    ecomstation.com with the following parameters
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBQSER.SYS /V /N:1 and it works perfectly. I can use
    my old serial digital camera with DCITU (which does not crash on eCS1.2
    for me...) or even use the COM port on WinXP through virtual PC to
    retrieve my photos (but this is more erratic...). You do not have to
    install com.sys or something else, the com port is directly recognized
    by all the applications as a "real one" (even in the apps that were
    created before USB). I have not had any problem with this adapter !

    Regards,

    Aymeric

  5. Re: USB serial converter driver

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:51:04 UTC, Aymeric Peyret
    wrote:

    -> Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    -> > I have tried a number of USB to serial port converters, and cannot get any
    -> > of them to work with my Thinkpad T41 laptop. They install as COM5, but I
    -> > seem unable to get any response. I believe I have the latest drivers
    -> > available from the eCS site. One unit is a Belkin F5U109, another I think
    -> > is an ABit UC-232A, and a third the IBM USB parallel/serial port adapter
    -> > (cannot remember the model number right now).
    -> >
    -> > Has anybody had any success with USB serial converters at all?
    -> >
    -> > Regards, Arnstein.
    ->
[...]

    Interesting. I just found a need for this since my T42p doesn't have
    a serial port and I had been using JSyncmanager (a Java app) to sync
    my Garmin iQue 3600 (a PDA) via a serial cradle on my old laptop and
    there is no Java USB support for OS/2 so I can't use the USB port for
    this now.

    What COM port is assigned? Can you control this?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Where?/When? Stay tuned to - http://www.warpstock.org

  6. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Thanks for your responses.

    Daniela wrote:
    > Yes, I do. I've been running two different USB-serial adapters: ATEN
    > UC-232A (Prolific PL2303 based, USB Vendor ID:0557, Product ID:2008) and
    > Digitus USB2.0 USB Serial Converter (FTDI FT8U232AM based, USB Vendor ID
    > :0403, Product ID:6001). The USB IDs are readouts from the USB
    > resource manager application. The USBSer.sys driver recognizes only a
    > few of the many USB IDs, so you might need to override it on the driver
    > command line!

    Whoops. What I meant to say was ATEN, rather than ABit, so I have the same
    one as you. However, I get no response from it at all. What are the
    command line options of usbser.sys? I have looked at the various readmes
    without success. With this device plugged in, no com port is assigned (I
    might as well stick a sandwich in the USB port, for all the response I
    get).

    On the Belkin adapter at least the link light comes on, but I cannot use the
    port, even though COM5 is assigned.

    Here are some, I think, relevant parts from config.sys. I do not load
    usbcom.sys as it seems to relate only to USB modems.

    rem DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS
    rem DEVICE=D:\OS2\MDOS\VCOM.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\eCS\boot\unbhsio.sys
    device=e:\dev\com\sio2k\sys\uart.sys LOGFILE=e:\var\log\goanna\sio\sio2k.log
    device=e:\dev\com\sio2k\sys\vsio2k.sys LOGFILE=e:\var\log\goanna\sio\vsio2k.log
    device=e:\dev\com\sio2k\sys\sio2k.sys LOGFILE=e:\var\log\goanna\sio\sio2k.log

    basedev=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    basedev=USBOHCD.SYS /V
    basedev=USBEHCD.SYS /V
    basedev=USBD.SYS /V
    basedev=USBHID.SYS /V
    basedev=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:0 /V
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
    device=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS /V
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS
    device=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBSER.SYS /V

    My situation is as follows: I have some instruments that only communicate
    via a serial port. To test the instrument I wrote software to implement
    the instrument behaviour and send commands and responses through a
    loop-back cable (a DB-9 connector with pins 2 and 3 shorted). This
    works on a real serial port, but, as yet, not on a USB serial adapter.

    Anything anyone can say to point me in the right direction will be
    appreciated.

    I also want to publically thank Daniela for all that work on Dani*.

    Regards, Arnstein

  7. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Sir:

    Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    > Thanks for your responses.

    > My situation is as follows: I have some instruments that only communicate
    > via a serial port. To test the instrument I wrote software to implement
    > the instrument behaviour and send commands and responses through a
    > loop-back cable (a DB-9 connector with pins 2 and 3 shorted). This
    > works on a real serial port, but, as yet, not on a USB serial adapter.
    >
    > Anything anyone can say to point me in the right direction will be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I also want to publically thank Daniela for all that work on Dani*.

    Look in your hardware manager to see if any new or strange serial port
    is reported. RMview would also report if the USBser.sys driver is being
    recognized as the port would show up here. This would be first base,
    finding a USBser adapter that works with OS/2. I'd also suggest using
    the latest OS/2-IBM com driver to manage your serial ports. You can
    think about plugin a serial adapter PCI card?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    > Thanks for your responses.
    >
    > Daniela wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, I do. I've been running two different USB-serial adapters: ATEN
    >>UC-232A (Prolific PL2303 based, USB Vendor ID:0557, Product ID:2008) and
    >>Digitus USB2.0 USB Serial Converter (FTDI FT8U232AM based, USB Vendor ID
    >> :0403, Product ID:6001). The USB IDs are readouts from the USB
    >>resource manager application. The USBSer.sys driver recognizes only a
    >>few of the many USB IDs, so you might need to override it on the driver
    >>command line!

    > Whoops. What I meant to say was ATEN, rather than ABit, so I have the same
    > one as you. However, I get no response from it at all. What are the
    > command line options of usbser.sys? I have looked at the various readmes
    > without success. With this device plugged in, no com port is assigned (I
    > might as well stick a sandwich in the USB port, for all the response I
    > get).

    First of all, can you see the ATEN adapter in the USB resource manager
    application? If not, you're a victim of the OS/2 USBD device enumeration
    issue and you need to correct this before any other actions. The same is
    true with your Belkin adapter.

    Second, you need to check the USB ids with the supported ones. AFAIK the
    latest public version of USBSER.SYS supports these device ids using the
    built-in list:

    (FTDI_VID, FTDI_SER_PID), SER_FT8U100AX,
    (IBM_VID, IBM_SER_PID), SER_FT8U100AX,
    (BELKIN_VID, BELKIN_SER_PID), SER_F5U103, // and F5U116
    (BELKIN_VID, BELKIN_SER_DOCK_PID), SER_F5U103,
    (BELKIN_VID, BELKIN_SER_PDA_PID), SER_U232,
    (MCT_VID, MCT_SER_PID), SER_U232, // D-Link
    (MCT_VID, MCT_SER_BAY_PID), SER_U232,

    with

    #define FTDI_SER_PID 0x8372 // FT8U100AX chip asynchronous serial port 1
    #define FTDI_VID 0x0403 // from FTDI (Future Technology Devices
    International Ltd.)

    #define IBM_SER_PID 0x4482 // multi-port USB hub serial converter
    #define IBM_VID 0x04B3 // from IBM

    #define BELKIN_SER_PID 0x0103 // F5U103 USB serial adapter (2 on
    F5U116 hub)
    #define BELKIN_SER_DOCK_PID 0x1203 // F5U120 USB DockStation serial port
    #define BELKIN_SER_PDA_PID 0x0109 // F5U109 USB PDA Adapter
    #define BELKIN_VID 0x050D // from Belkin Components

    #define MCT_SER_BAY_PID 0x0200 // D-Link DU(DSB)-H3SP USB BAY
    #define MCT_SER_PID 0x0210 // D-Link DU-CS (DSB-S25)
    #define MCT_VID 0x0711 // from Magic Control Technology Corp. (MCT)

    #define SER_FT8U100AX 1 // FT8U100AX chip
    #define SER_F5U103 2 // Belkin F5U103
    #define SER_U232 3 // MCT USB to RS232 converter

    You may add an additional entry into the list of supported devices using
    the options below:

    KeyData arg[] = {"V", CFSTR_TYPE_DEC, 0,0, // 0 Verbose mode
    "IDV:", CFSTR_TYPE_STRING, 0,0, // 1 hex USB
    idVendor
    "IDP:", CFSTR_TYPE_STRING, 0,0, // 2 hex
    manufacturer idProduct
    "TYPE:", CFSTR_TYPE_DEC, 0,0}; // 3 dec USB
    Serial converter type

    I can't give you examples of above because I am running on later,
    non-public driver builds or builds of my own based on non-public sources
    which have the USB ids of my hardware built in.

    Signature: @#IBM:10.142(TF1)#@ OS/2 USB Device Driver
    Signature: @#DANI:0.2#@ OS/2 USB Serial Converter Driver

    but this is from the IBM sources:

    /*
    DEVICE=D:OS2\BOOT\USBSer.sys [/V] [/IDV:hhhh /IDP:hhhh /TYPE:d]
    */

    Ciao,
    Dani

  9. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Thanks again for your responses.

    William Hartzell wrote:
    > You can think about plugin a serial adapter PCI card?

    Unfortunately not an option for the laptop.

    Daniela Engert wrote:
    > First of all, can you see the ATEN adapter in the USB resource manager
    > application?

    Yes.

    # Vendor Product Rev. # Lang LangIds
    1 ATEN International Co. Ltd. UC-232A Serial Port [pl2303] 00.01 48 104 110
    2 Belkin Components F5U109 PDA Adapter 01.02 1 1033

    According to the documentation I should be able to get the Belkin to work.
    I tried to enter the parameters for the ATEN on the options of USBSER.SYS,
    /IDV:0557 /IDP:2008, trying /TYPE:1 /TYPE:2 and /TYPE:3 in turn. Similarly,
    I went through the 3 types for the Belkin (/IDV:050D /IDP:0109).

    I disabled all other serial stuff from config.sys, including PMfax, IRDA,
    as well as the BIOS settings, but to no avail.

    Plugging in the ATEN adapter, I can never access the 'assigned' com port

    USBSER.SYS: USB Serial Converter Driver loaded as COM3

    but at least with the Belkin adapter I can open the com port (ie my program
    does not complain about a non-existent com port), just not read or write,
    for some reason.

    However, COM3 does not appear as a device in rmview nor the hardware
    manager. Should it?

    The program I use I wrote using Virtual Pascal. Recompiling for Win32, I
    can run the program under WinXP, where both adapters are recognised and
    working (after installing the appropriate drivers, of course). The program
    also works under OS/2 on a desktop computer with 'proper' com ports.

    I am using usbser.sys dated 25.07.2003, which claims to support the Belkin
    F5U109 adapter, so I am at a bit of a loss here. I feel that I am missing
    some simple point, but my mind is simpler still and thus unable to see.
    I have all the latest eCS 1.1 updates, with the kernel from 21.06.2004.
    I've tried a couple of later kernels with no more success.

    Regards, Arnstein

  10. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Further to my postings.

    I use DosOpen to get a handle to the com port.

    I use various DosDevIOCtl functions to set and retrieve the com port state.

    I use DosWrite to write data to the com port.
    This returns an error code of 21 (Drive not ready). ASYNC_GETCOMMSTATUS,
    ASYNC_GETCOMMEVENT and ASYNC_GETCOMMERROR all return 0.

    At this point I feel a bit lost as nothing works, and I have no more ways
    of diagnosing the problem.

    I have used CKermit to try to capture a data stream from the instrument,
    thereby eliminating any possible problems in my own program. This does
    not work either. However, the Rx light on my Belkin adapter does flash
    as data are sent from the instrument; the data just doesn't get to the
    computer. Remember this works under win32. :-(

    Regards, Arnstein

  11. Re: USB serial converter driver

    Arnstein Prytz wrote:
    >>First of all, can you see the ATEN adapter in the USB resource manager
    >>application?

    > Yes.
    >
    > # Vendor Product Rev. # Lang LangIds
    > 1 ATEN International Co. Ltd. UC-232A Serial Port [pl2303] 00.01 48 104 110
    > 2 Belkin Components F5U109 PDA Adapter 01.02 1 1033

    Fine. Did you look up Belkin's USB id from the device report? You most
    likely need it on the driver command line!

    > According to the documentation I should be able to get the Belkin to work.

    May be.

    > I tried to enter the parameters for the ATEN on the options of USBSER.SYS,

    There's no point in doing this: as I wrote, your version of USBSER.SYS
    doesn't support Prolific chips.

    > Plugging in the ATEN adapter, I can never access the 'assigned' com port
    >
    > USBSER.SYS: USB Serial Converter Driver loaded as COM3

    Of course.

    > but at least with the Belkin adapter I can open the com port (ie my program
    > does not complain about a non-existent com port), just not read or write,
    > for some reason.
    >
    > However, COM3 does not appear as a device in rmview nor the hardware
    > manager. Should it?

    No. USBSER.SYS supplied by IBM has some deficiencies w.r.t. RM.

    Ciao,
    Dani

+ Reply to Thread