setup failure - OS2

This is a discussion on setup failure - OS2 ; Hi All, I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2 XEON 1 GHz processors; 512 MB memory; 2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive. Installing W2k, XP and ...

  1. setup failure

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2 XEON 1
    GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made some
    room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    basedev = aicu160.add/v
    set copyfromfloppy=1
    The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks after
    a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of text is
    scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text: "Unable to
    run/load (forgot...)
    S/2; ......"
    The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?

    George

  2. Re: setup failure

    Hi,

    The real message is:
    " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system is
    stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."

    "George" schreef in bericht
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2 XEON 1
    > GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    > 2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    > Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    > 4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made

    some
    > room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    > In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    > basedev = aicu160.add/v
    > set copyfromfloppy=1
    > The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks

    after
    > a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of text is
    > scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text: "Unable to
    > run/load (forgot...)
    > S/2; ......"
    > The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    > Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?
    >
    > George

  3. Re: setup failure

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:49:45 UTC, "George"
    wrote:

    > In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    > basedev = aicu160.add/v
    > set copyfromfloppy=1

    If this isn't a typo, there should be space before the /v I
    believe . . . .

    HTH.

    --
    Simon Wright
    diver 0 6 at gmx dot net

  4. Re: setup failure

    Sir:

    George wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2 XEON 1
    > GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    > 2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    > Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    > 4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made some
    > room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    > In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    > basedev = aicu160.add/v
    > set copyfromfloppy=1
    > The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks after
    > a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of text is
    > scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text: "Unable to
    > run/load (forgot...)
    > S/2; ......"
    > The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    > Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?
    >
    > George

    Update the boot loader and kernel. Get the package for last testcase
    from the OS/2 site. You'll have to rename the kernel to kerneli, I
    believe (see the readme).

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: setup failure

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:58:23 +0100, George wrote:

    >> I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2 XEON 1
    >> GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    >> 2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    >> Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    >> 4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made
    >> some room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    >> In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    >> basedev = aicu160.add/v
    >> set copyfromfloppy=1
    >> The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks
    >> after a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of
    >> text is scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text:

    > " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system is
    > stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."
    >> The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    >> Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?

    1. Update the OS2KRNLI and OS2LDR files on Disk 0 with the latest kernel
    and loader updates from IBM. (If you don't have download access to
    them in the OS2DDPAK, try using a recent testcase set, those are
    archived in various places on the 'net.)

    2. Update the IDEDASD drivers (IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, OS2CDROM.DMD,
    IBMATAPI.FLT) to the latest versions you can. Even if you don't use
    IDE disks; the OS2DASD.DMD update could be important anyway.

    3. Make sure CONFIG.SYS isn't loading any APM or (if possible ) USB
    drivers.

    4. Make absolutely sure you have the correct files on the correct
    diskettes. It's easy to get them wrong. The kernel goes on
    Disk 0. CONFIG.SYS must be updated on Disk 1. All BASEDEVs go
    on Disk 1, and all DEVICE and IFS files go on Disk 2.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  6. Re: setup failure

    This is often triggered by a tangle with the disk drivers.

    George wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The real message is:
    > " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system is
    > stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."
    >
    > "George" schreef in bericht
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2 XEON 1
    >>GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    >>2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    >>Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    >>4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made

    > some
    >
    >>room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    >>In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    >>basedev = aicu160.add/v
    >>set copyfromfloppy=1
    >>The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks

    > after
    >
    >>a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of text is
    >>scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text: "Unable to
    >>run/load (forgot...)
    >>S/2; ......"
    >>The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    >>Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?
    >>
    >>George

  7. Re: setup failure

    Hi Alex,

    Followed up your advices; still the same problem.
    I'm talking about 4.5 not 4.52.
    I used the files you recommanded from the 4.52 version; maybe they don't
    like each other.
    I'm still wondering why ECS 1.1 installs without any problem; must have to
    do with the files.
    I looked also at the Adaptec site; there are problems with the aicu160
    driver and OS/2; couldn't find a solution.
    I think I will switch over to some Unix/Linux distro; several already
    installed without problems.
    Txs anyway.

    George

    wrote:

    > >> I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2

    XEON 1
    > >> GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    > >> 2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    > >> Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    > >> 4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made
    > >> some room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    > >> In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    > >> basedev = aicu160.add/v
    > >> set copyfromfloppy=1
    > >> The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks
    > >> after a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of
    > >> text is scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text:

    > > " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system

    is
    > > stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."
    > >> The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    > >> Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?

    > 1. Update the OS2KRNLI and OS2LDR files on Disk 0 with the latest kernel
    > and loader updates from IBM. (If you don't have download access to
    > them in the OS2DDPAK, try using a recent testcase set, those are
    > archived in various places on the 'net.)
    >
    > 2. Update the IDEDASD drivers (IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, OS2CDROM.DMD,
    > IBMATAPI.FLT) to the latest versions you can. Even if you don't use
    > IDE disks; the OS2DASD.DMD update could be important anyway.
    >
    > 3. Make sure CONFIG.SYS isn't loading any APM or (if possible ) USB
    > drivers.
    >
    > 4. Make absolutely sure you have the correct files on the correct
    > diskettes. It's easy to get them wrong. The kernel goes on
    > Disk 0. CONFIG.SYS must be updated on Disk 1. All BASEDEVs go
    > on Disk 1, and all DEVICE and IFS files go on Disk 2.
    >

    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  8. Re: setup failure

    Oeps....

    Forgot to disable APM; also had to disable hardware detection.
    Now the installation goes well until the restart; on the hd are now the old
    files from the 4.5 disc.
    Must try to get entrance to the hd and replace files...

    wrote:

    > >> I'm trying to install WSeB 4.5 on a IBM Intellistation Z Pro with 2

    XEON 1
    > >> GHz processors; 512 MB memory;
    > >> 2 17 GB 160 ultra drives and 1 37 GB 160 ultra drive.
    > >> Installing W2k, XP and ECS 1.1 goes without a hitch.
    > >> 4.5 gives me problems: first I downloaded the AICU160.add driver, made
    > >> some room on disk 1 and put that driver on that disk.
    > >> In the config.sys file I put the next lines on top:
    > >> basedev = aicu160.add/v
    > >> set copyfromfloppy=1
    > >> The installation disk is read and when disk 1 is read the system asks
    > >> after a very short time for disk 2; as soon as disk 2 is read a lot of
    > >> text is scrolling and the installation aborted with the next text:

    > > " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system

    is
    > > stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."
    > >> The floppies are o.k. I made several sets.
    > >> Why is ECS1.1 (Warp 4.52) installing without problems and 4.5 doesn"t?

    > 1. Update the OS2KRNLI and OS2LDR files on Disk 0 with the latest kernel
    > and loader updates from IBM. (If you don't have download access to
    > them in the OS2DDPAK, try using a recent testcase set, those are
    > archived in various places on the 'net.)
    >
    > 2. Update the IDEDASD drivers (IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, OS2CDROM.DMD,
    > IBMATAPI.FLT) to the latest versions you can. Even if you don't use
    > IDE disks; the OS2DASD.DMD update could be important anyway.
    >
    > 3. Make sure CONFIG.SYS isn't loading any APM or (if possible ) USB
    > drivers.
    >
    > 4. Make absolutely sure you have the correct files on the correct
    > diskettes. It's easy to get them wrong. The kernel goes on
    > Disk 0. CONFIG.SYS must be updated on Disk 1. All BASEDEVs go
    > on Disk 1, and all DEVICE and IFS files go on Disk 2.
    >

    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  9. Re: Installation boot failure (was Re: setup failure)

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:39:28 +0100, George wrote:
    > Followed up your advices; still the same problem.
    > I'm talking about 4.5 not 4.52.
    > I used the files you recommanded from the 4.52 version; maybe they don't
    > like each other.

    Shouldn't make a difference.

    > I'm still wondering why ECS 1.1 installs without any problem; must have to
    > do with the files.

    eCS is at a more recent fixpak level. Quite possibly that includes a fix
    for this problem. It also uses a more intelligent and robust boot process
    when booting from CD.

    > I looked also at the Adaptec site; there are problems with the aicu160
    > driver and OS/2; couldn't find a solution.
    > I think I will switch over to some Unix/Linux distro; several already
    > installed without problems.

    If eCS 1.1 works, why not use that?

    If you don't mind me saying so, you seem to be giving up awfully quickly.
    This is a difficult error message to diagnose, but there's usually a way
    to fix it if you persevere.

    Mind you, I haven't seen any of the resident boot process experts jumping
    in to this thread.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  10. Re: Installation boot failure (was Re: setup failure)

    Hi Alex,

    Still working on it; I'm already asking around for 3 weeks in several
    groups, including the OS/2 group in Holland, but sofar nothing came out.
    But I will getting to work this beast with OS/2.... 8-))

    wrote:
    > > Followed up your advices; still the same problem.
    > > I'm talking about 4.5 not 4.52.
    > > I used the files you recommanded from the 4.52 version; maybe they don't
    > > like each other.

    > Shouldn't make a difference.
    >
    > > I'm still wondering why ECS 1.1 installs without any problem; must have

    > > do with the files.

    > eCS is at a more recent fixpak level. Quite possibly that includes a fix
    > for this problem. It also uses a more intelligent and robust boot process
    > when booting from CD.
    >

    > > I looked also at the Adaptec site; there are problems with the aicu160
    > > driver and OS/2; couldn't find a solution.
    > > I think I will switch over to some Unix/Linux distro; several already
    > > installed without problems.

    > If eCS 1.1 works, why not use that?
    >
    > If you don't mind me saying so, you seem to be giving up awfully quickly.
    > This is a difficult error message to diagnose, but there's usually a way
    > to fix it if you persevere.
    >
    > Mind you, I haven't seen any of the resident boot process experts jumping
    > in to this thread.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  11. Re: setup failure

    Hi George

    George wrote:
    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > Followed up your advices; still the same problem.
    > I'm talking about 4.5 not 4.52.
    > I used the files you recommanded from the 4.52 version; maybe they don't
    > like each other.
    > I'm still wondering why ECS 1.1 installs without any problem; must have to
    > do with the files.
    > I looked also at the Adaptec site; there are problems with the aicu160
    > driver and OS/2; couldn't find a solution.

    I'm using a 29160N with the current (I believe) aicu160.add without any
    problems that I am aware of. Bldlevel states that I am using this version:-
    Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)

    I did need to flash the 29160N BIOS to the latest level to get it to
    perform reasonably well - it was a bit "sluggish" and sometimes had
    problems with my scanner prior to the BIOS update. May be worth checking
    the BIOS level on your card.

    In a previous post you say that you have this statement in config.sys:-
    basedev = aicu160.add/v

    I suggest that you put a space between the "d" and the "/" ie:-
    basedev = aicu160.add /v

    Hope the above helps.

    Pete

  12. Re: setup failure

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:23:03 +0100, George wrote:
    > Forgot to disable APM; also had to disable hardware detection.
    > Now the installation goes well until the restart; on the hd are now the old
    > files from the 4.5 disc.
    > Must try to get entrance to the hd and replace files...

    You have SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 in CONFIG.SYS?

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  13. Re: setup failure

    I did

    wrote:
    > > Forgot to disable APM; also had to disable hardware detection.
    > > Now the installation goes well until the restart; on the hd are now the

    old
    > > files from the 4.5 disc.
    > > Must try to get entrance to the hd and replace files...

    > You have SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 in CONFIG.SYS?
    >
    > --
    > Alex Taylor
    > http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  14. Re: setup failure

    I did; the controller is an onboard one.
    "Peter Brown" schreef in bericht
    > Hi George
    >
    > George wrote:
    > > Hi Alex,
    > >
    > > Followed up your advices; still the same problem.
    > > I'm talking about 4.5 not 4.52.
    > > I used the files you recommanded from the 4.52 version; maybe they don't
    > > like each other.
    > > I'm still wondering why ECS 1.1 installs without any problem; must have

    > > do with the files.
    > > I looked also at the Adaptec site; there are problems with the aicu160
    > > driver and OS/2; couldn't find a solution.

    > I'm using a 29160N with the current (I believe) aicu160.add without any
    > problems that I am aware of. Bldlevel states that I am using this

    version:-
    > Adaptec Ultra160 Family Driver for OS/2 (d10.3 10/15/2001)
    >
    > I did need to flash the 29160N BIOS to the latest level to get it to
    > perform reasonably well - it was a bit "sluggish" and sometimes had
    > problems with my scanner prior to the BIOS update. May be worth checking
    > the BIOS level on your card.
    >
    > In a previous post you say that you have this statement in config.sys:-
    > basedev = aicu160.add/v
    >
    > I suggest that you put a space between the "d" and the "/" ie:-
    > basedev = aicu160.add /v
    >

    > Hope the above helps.
    >
    > Pete

  15. Re: setup failure

    You should be able to boot from the install disks and then hit F3 to get to
    a command prompt. That should allow you to copy the updated files to the
    hard drive.

    Later,

    Andrew

    "George" wrote in message
    > Oeps....
    >
    > Forgot to disable APM; also had to disable hardware detection.
    > Now the installation goes well until the restart; on the hd are now the
    > old
    > files from the 4.5 disc.
    > Must try to get entrance to the hd and replace files...
    >
    > George
    >
    > "Alex Taylor" schreef in bericht

    > XEON 1
    >> > " S/2 is unable to operate your harddisk or diskette drive. The system

    > is
    >> > stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system."

    >> 1. Update the OS2KRNLI and OS2LDR files on Disk 0 with the latest kernel
    >> and loader updates from IBM. (If you don't have download access to
    >> them in the OS2DDPAK, try using a recent testcase set, those are
    >> archived in various places on the 'net.)
    >>
    >> 2. Update the IDEDASD drivers (IBM1S506.ADD, OS2DASD.DMD, OS2CDROM.DMD,
    >> IBMATAPI.FLT) to the latest versions you can. Even if you don't use
    >> IDE disks; the OS2DASD.DMD update could be important anyway.
    >>
    >> 3. Make sure CONFIG.SYS isn't loading any APM or (if possible ) USB
    >> drivers.
    >>
    >> 4. Make absolutely sure you have the correct files on the correct
    >> diskettes. It's easy to get them wrong. The kernel goes on
    >> Disk 0. CONFIG.SYS must be updated on Disk 1. All BASEDEVs go
    >> on Disk 1, and all DEVICE and IFS files go on Disk 2.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Alex Taylor
    >> http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  16. Re: Installation boot failure (was Re: setup failure)

    Thanks everyone,

    I got it finally at work; still have to do some fine-tuning. The mix of 4.5
    and 4.52 is sometimes confusing for the computer (and me as well) :-))

    George

    "George" schreef in bericht
    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > Still working on it; I'm already asking around for 3 weeks in several
    > groups, including the OS/2 group in Holland, but sofar nothing came out.
    > But I will getting to work this beast with OS/2.... 8-))
    >
    > George
    >
    > "Alex Taylor" schreef in bericht
    > > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:39:28 +0100, George

    > wrote:
    > > > Followed up your advices; still the same problem.
    > > > I'm talking about 4.5 not 4.52.
    > > > I used the files you recommanded from the 4.52 version; maybe they

    don't
    > > > like each other.

    > > Shouldn't make a difference.
    > >
    > > > I'm still wondering why ECS 1.1 installs without any problem; must

    have
    > > > do with the files.

    > > eCS is at a more recent fixpak level. Quite possibly that includes a

    fix
    > > for this problem. It also uses a more intelligent and robust boot

    process
    > > when booting from CD.
    > >

    > > > I looked also at the Adaptec site; there are problems with the aicu160
    > > > driver and OS/2; couldn't find a solution.
    > > > I think I will switch over to some Unix/Linux distro; several already
    > > > installed without problems.

    > > If eCS 1.1 works, why not use that?
    > >
    > > If you don't mind me saying so, you seem to be giving up awfully

    quickly.
    > > This is a difficult error message to diagnose, but there's usually a way
    > > to fix it if you persevere.
    > >
    > > Mind you, I haven't seen any of the resident boot process experts

    jumping
    > > in to this thread.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alex Taylor