Feature Install Warp 4 - OS2

This is a discussion on Feature Install Warp 4 - OS2 ; Can anyone help please with preparation prior to install of "Feature Install" software. My install does not progress past refreshing desktop. Thanks, Brian....

  1. Feature Install Warp 4

    Can anyone help please with preparation prior to install of "Feature
    Install" software. My install does not progress past refreshing
    desktop.
    Thanks, Brian.

  2. Re: Feature Install Warp 4

    Sir:

    Brian Moore wrote:
    > Can anyone help please with preparation prior to install of "Feature
    > Install" software. My install does not progress past refreshing
    > desktop.

    Assuming that ran the install fi thing, then reset of the desktop is the
    end of it. You've finished. Do whatever you need to do. Fi is installed.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Feature Install Warp 4

    In <8vmbv0p9j280a0lf2inhe4gv680ohnud2d@4ax.com>, Brian Moore writes:
    >Can anyone help please with preparation prior to install of "Feature
    >Install" software. My install does not progress past refreshing
    >desktop.
    >Thanks, Brian.

    FI seems to be a NS 4.61 plugin, npfi.dll. I suppose you just copy it
    to the plugin directory. You may need the latest version of FI, and
    Java 1.1 for NS 4.61. I am not authoritative on this.

  4. Re: Feature Install Warp 4

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:03:10 GMT, johnsuth@nospam.com.au
    wrote:
    >>Can anyone help please with preparation prior to install of "Feature
    >>Install" software. My install does not progress past refreshing
    >>desktop.

    > FI seems to be a NS 4.61 plugin, npfi.dll. I suppose you just copy it
    > to the plugin directory. You may need the latest version of FI, and
    > Java 1.1 for NS 4.61. I am not authoritative on this.

    There's a lot more to FI than the Netscape plugin (which is actually the
    least useful and important piece of it). It includes executables
    (e.g. CLIFI.EXE), system DLLs (e.g. INSTALL.DLL), and ties itself into the
    desktop by registering WPS classes (e.g. WPInstall and WPObjData). It
    also creates INI and log files.

    I'm working on some articles about FI which I may contribute to VOICE,
    although they don't really address installation problems. To the OP: if
    the desktop is having trouble resetting, it's not really a problem anyway,
    because it means the install is complete. Just reboot if you have to, and
    everything should be done.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

  5. Re: Feature Install Warp 4

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:03:10 GMT, johnsuth@nospam.com.au
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>Can anyone help please with preparation prior to install of "Feature
    >>>Install" software. My install does not progress past refreshing
    >>>desktop.

    >>FI seems to be a NS 4.61 plugin, npfi.dll. I suppose you just copy it
    >>to the plugin directory. You may need the latest version of FI, and
    >>Java 1.1 for NS 4.61. I am not authoritative on this.

    > There's a lot more to FI than the Netscape plugin (which is actually the
    > least useful and important piece of it). It includes executables
    > (e.g. CLIFI.EXE), system DLLs (e.g. INSTALL.DLL), and ties itself into the
    > desktop by registering WPS classes (e.g. WPInstall and WPObjData). It
    > also creates INI and log files.
    >
    > I'm working on some articles about FI which I may contribute to VOICE,
    > although they don't really address installation problems. To the OP: if
    > the desktop is having trouble resetting, it's not really a problem anyway,
    > because it means the install is complete. Just reboot if you have to, and
    > everything should be done.

    FP15 for Warp4 includes it. It's the last free FP, and is available from
    Hobbes and other sources.

  6. Re: Feature Install Warp 4

    In <41f663a9$0$29123$45beb828@newscene.com>, on 01/25/2005
    at 09:23 AM, Alex Taylor said:

    >I'm working on some articles about FI which I may contribute to VOICE,
    >although they don't really address installation problems. To the OP: if
    >the desktop is having trouble resetting, it's not really a problem
    >anyway, because it means the install is complete. Just reboot if you
    >have to, and everything should be done.

    FWIW, the Desktop hang is an ancient problem. The easy way around it is
    to run:

    fisetup /norestartshell

    HTH,

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp4.something/14.100c_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  7. Re: Feature Install Warp 4

    Let me know if you need info for your FI articles; I'll help with what
    little disclosable info I can remember.

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread