Long filenames on flash drive - OS2

This is a discussion on Long filenames on flash drive - OS2 ; Hello people, I have just got my nifty wee flash USB drive working under eCS1.2: I used the CW MSD driver with the basic USB stuff installed by eCS. All fine ... except that I can't see the long filenames ...

  1. Long filenames on flash drive

    Hello people,

    I have just got my nifty wee flash USB drive working under eCS1.2: I
    used the CW MSD driver with the basic USB stuff installed by eCS. All
    fine ... except that I can't see the long filenames which XP and Linux
    wrote to the device.

    Is there any easy way of doing this? I tried installing fat32, but it
    reported failure at startup (no FAT32 devices found) and when I
    uninstalled it with WPI (I don't like keeping unused bits around) it
    did something horrible so that eCS failed to boot - cannot start
    DOSCALL1.DLL - until I had replaced the config.sys with a backup.

    Ian
    --

  2. Re: Long filenames on flash drive

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hello people,
    >
    > I have just got my nifty wee flash USB drive working under eCS1.2: I
    > used the CW MSD driver with the basic USB stuff installed by eCS. All
    > fine ... except that I can't see the long filenames which XP and Linux
    > wrote to the device.
    >
    > Is there any easy way of doing this? I tried installing fat32, but it
    > reported failure at startup (no FAT32 devices found) and when I
    > uninstalled it with WPI (I don't like keeping unused bits around) it
    > did something horrible so that eCS failed to boot - cannot start
    > DOSCALL1.DLL - until I had replaced the config.sys with a backup.
    >
    > Ian

    Flash drivers normally come formatted FAT. The FAT32 driver won't work
    until it finds a FAT32 partition.

    1. What file system is the drive formatted?

    2. Did you use LVM to make it a compatibility volume?

    3. Did you use LVM to assign it a drive letter? Although this should not
    be necessary, I have found it works best to assign the drives letters.

    4. The latest and newest USB drivers make Chris's drivers no longer
    necessary. My recommendation is to use the latest IBM drivers.

    When formatting FAT32, it is best to destroy the partition using LVM and
    create the new partition with LVM. Then format FAT32 using Windows, and
    then make it a compatibility volume using LVM.

    The flash drives need to be formatted FAT32 with Windows XP.

    David

  3. Re: Long filenames on flash drive

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:34:09 UTC, David Graser
    wrote:

    : Ian Johnston wrote:
    : > Hello people,
    : >
    : > I have just got my nifty wee flash USB drive working under eCS1.2: I
    : > used the CW MSD driver with the basic USB stuff installed by eCS. All
    : > fine ... except that I can't see the long filenames which XP and Linux
    : > wrote to the device.

    : Flash drivers normally come formatted FAT. The FAT32 driver won't work
    : until it finds a FAT32 partition.
    :
    : 1. What file system is the drive formatted?

    As it came.

    : 2. Did you use LVM to make it a compatibility volume?

    No.

    : 3. Did you use LVM to assign it a drive letter? Although this should not
    : be necessary, I have found it works best to assign the drives letters.

    No. It just popped up as G:

    : 4. The latest and newest USB drivers make Chris's drivers no longer
    : necessary. My recommendation is to use the latest IBM drivers.

    I'll investigate.

    : When formatting FAT32, it is best to destroy the partition using LVM and
    : create the new partition with LVM. Then format FAT32 using Windows, and
    : then make it a compatibility volume using LVM.
    :
    : The flash drives need to be formatted FAT32 with Windows XP.

    I'm not that bothered about reformattting - I'd just like to be able
    to read the long filenames that XP uses. Is that possible?

    Ian

  4. Re: Long filenames on flash drive

    Le dim, 23 Jan 2005 15:59:29 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    a écrit:

    > Hello people,
    >
    > I have just got my nifty wee flash USB drive working under eCS1.2: I
    > used the CW MSD driver with the basic USB stuff installed by eCS. All
    > fine ... except that I can't see the long filenames which XP and Linux
    > wrote to the device.
    >
    > Is there any easy way of doing this? I tried installing fat32, but it
    > reported failure at startup (no FAT32 devices found) and when I
    > uninstalled it with WPI (I don't like keeping unused bits around) it
    > did something horrible so that eCS failed to boot - cannot start
    > DOSCALL1.DLL - until I had replaced the config.sys with a backup.

    On my OS/2 machine (so it should also work of eCS), I'm using VFatMon
    and VFat2EA that you can find on Hobbes. Sorry, I don't have the like
    right now because Hobbes seems to be down for the moment. HTH.

    --
    Salut,

    Michel (sur OS/2 Warp 4.50)
    ICQ #13376913
    http://pages.infinit.net/exovede

  5. Re: Long filenames on flash drive

    I second that. VFAT2EA works fine to transfer long file names with
    removeable media.